Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.

TheresaJayne posted:

Same here, I am useless at piloting and can't shoot for toffee.
i even get killed undocking from a station with no warning

I may dabble with CQC, but the part of Horizons I'm most interested in will be driving a space buggy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.

slidebite posted:

Anyone play on a laptop? I am getting a i7-5700 with gtx970m and hoping it should be adequate for 1080p.

Also, is there a problem if the same account has it installed on 2 different pcs?

I used to play on my laptop which had a GeForce 660M, and it was more than adequate (although I didn't try 1080p). I've since switched over to a beefier desktop. Logging in from different machines is no problem.

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.

frank.club posted:

Do not, please do not buy Horizons until you see a video or something on the planet stuff. I get the feeling it'll just be landing and driving around with zero extra stuff. Maybe I'll be wrong!

I will concede all of the above is a possibility. Fortunately for me, if Horizons is indeed lovely, I pre-ordered with Rubles. :)

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.
Hey, are there any exploration-related events happening at the moment? I'll be returning from a multi-month exploration trip to the core and back, and I'm going to have a poo poo ton of explore data to sell.

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.
I'm back from my round-trip to the core. It took about two months, and I did a lot of detailed surface scanning en route. In total, I submitted about 1900 system scans, paying particular attention to the usual rare planets (terrestrial, Earth-like, Type IV gas giants, etc.). They were collectively worth 44 million credits. Stupidly, it took over an hour to sell all 95 pages of exploration data, page by page (man, that interface could use some work). I considered waiting for an exploration CG to sell it all, but it's Friday, and I don't want to wait until next Thursday on the slim chance of an exploration CG. Unsurprisingly, my paintwork (default Explorer yellow) and ship integrity were both 0% upon my return. There was absolutely no visual effect I could see.

Here's a small album of screencaps: http://imgur.com/a/4J1OL

And a few highlights:

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.
That video also mentions a crafting system, and the Devs talk about using rare components to craft differently coloured lasers and weapons with stat variances, and also some crafting components being 'rare'. I'm not sure how I feel about that. Tentatively good? All of the above stuff (faces, multicrew, crafting) is still scheduled for 'Holiday 2015', apparently.

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.
Joysticks are a really good way to control your ship. Mouse and keyboard can also be fine, if you rebind things, because the default binds aren't great.

There's no 'end game' at all, really. You progression manifests as the largest ship you're able to afford. As others have mentioned, this is the sort of game where you make your own fun. Think of E:D as an immersive, objective-less spaceship sandbox.

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.

Hammer Floyd posted:

I haven't thought about using a Chaff launcher. How long does the "Chaff" effect last? I'd hate to start taking on big ships and then get halfway through the fight and have no chaff left...

The chaff effect lasts around 7 seconds, reloads are pretty cheap, too. They're slightly less useful in PvP, mind you, because human players will just untarget you, which makes their gimbals fire in fixed mode.

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Terrain following radar display like the landing pad display, crashed ships, and classical "ladder" HUD, nice.

Where did you get those screencaps? Are planetary landings on the Beta server?

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.

DarthBlingBling posted:

Somehow I think you're better than me at this:

Natsuumi's fake skin is amazingly good. This is my own attempt:

Subtle!

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.
For the life of me, I can't get SweetFX working - it's been placed in the proper directory, and I've disabled in-game AA and I've been changing values up and down in the settings, but there's no visual change at all, even when I choose drastic settings like Monochrome Mode or the Toon shader. From what I can Google up, it looks like SweetFX in particular has problems with Windows 8.

*edit* After Googling some more, I've found the issue may be that either Windows 10 or my current NVidia driver may not be happy with some of the .dll's included with SweetFX or GemFX (the same two .dll's, in fact). Ah well. no GemFX for me. :(

*edit* What eventually DID work, however, was ReShade, which combines all the features of both SweetFX and GemFX, so I'm fooling around with different settings now. So pretty.

Zaardvark fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Oct 4, 2015

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.
Yep, that's why they can haul a literal half megaton of biowaste.

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.

LCL-Dead posted:

What's a good ship for mining that's cheaper than the Vulture?

The Cobra is a surprisingly good mining ship. It has plenty of internal slots, plus two medium hardpoints for two Class 2 mining lasers (although those may cause power problems).

Just for general FYI, this is my current dedicated mining Asp. I mine at Frey B, and sell at Garratt. The round trip takes 40 minutes, and each one nets me between 400,000 - 750,000, depending how picky I am.

http://coriolis.io/outfit/asp/05D5C5D4D4A5D5C2m2m--------05Cb1qP4022i2f.Iw18WQ==.Aw18WQ==?bn=Mining%20Asp

The significant bits:

5D Limpet Controller - that's 3 simultaneous collector limpets, with a 12 minute duration
1A Prospector Limpet Controller - I don't really see the use of having more than one prospector limpet active at a time
Various scanners - you can actually not buy these if you choose, they won't help you mine, but having them means you can do your own surveying

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.

Shine posted:

As someone who's never done any scanning of anything, would you mind explaining what the benefit of surveying is? I didn't bother with the scanners, so instead of a 5D I got two smaller limpet controllers, which still gave me 3 at once and let me slap another 32T onto that 5 slot, but I can work scanners into them if there's some nice benefit I'm missing.

I happen to have the scanners because I'm a semi-serious Explorer (Pioneer). The various scanners are used only for gathering information on un-surveyed systems. You won't discover the most distant planets from a sun without an Advanced Scanner, and you won't get information about the composition of a Gas Giant's rings without a Detailed Surface Scanner. If you intend to mine in established systems, you don't need either of them. I like having them so I can scan and discover new systems, while I'm en route to wherever. If you use that space for more capacity between return trips, your mining excursions will be more efficient.

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.

slidebite posted:

Just getting into this again after a 2 month hiatus and see tons of posts and several things in game which I don't know mean. Also, seems like mining might be a thing now? :monocle:

Easy question though: Is there enough of a price difference in the same system to price shop for selling stuff? I'm at a small outpost and I can make a 951cr/t profit on what I've got in my inventory (I don't remember what it is.. they're worth about 5K/T though.) Should I bother trying to go to one of the more massive bases in the system with a higher population that has the same economy? My Python is loaded up with 158t of this stuff.

In my experience, shopping around for a better sell price is not worth the time required. Because you'll have to hop around a bunch, you may as well be using that travel time to buy and sell instead.

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.
My mining Python has double Class II mining lasers, which liberates ore very quickly indeed. I've equipped the ship with two collector controllers of 3 limpets each, so I always have 6 limpets zipping around collecting crumbs, and even then, I have to wait a not-inconsiderable amount of time for them to scoop up the floating ore. The more limpets you can have simultaneously active, the faster ore recovery will be, and the sooner you can move on to the next rock. At the cost of a higher rate of limpet consumption. For faster mining. I don't know if it's more cost efficient, but it's certainly much faster.

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.
*edit* Whoops, it would have been better for me to post this in the PGS thread instead. Just me talking about the best ship to use as a long-distance smuggler.

For those interested in Sothis runs, I'm going to echo earlier sentiments that a Cobra is probably best suited for long-distance smuggling, even moreso than something like a DBE. Most ships (like the DBE) that get really good jump distances are somewhat lacking in internal slots, but the Cobra can get a cargo capacity of up to 40 tons, which is pretty good for a ship that can also get a jump distance of around 24 LY. I've now done the run with a DBE and a FAS, the latter of which was horrible and I never want to do that again. Go forth and GIT PAID.

Zaardvark fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Oct 14, 2015

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.

wildfire1 posted:

So this game looks pretty interesting. Should I buy in now, or wait for the expansion?

Depends. The Horizons expansion, coming 'Holiday 2015' (whenever that is, no firm dates), will include the base game. But you won't be able to play anything until it releases.

If you buy the base game now, Horizons will be a separate purchase, and it costs roughly the same amount as the base game (so purchasing them separately means you'll pay double). But you'll have the base game to play immediately.

In strict amount of game / cost terms, you're best served waiting for Horizons to be released, and getting everything for the cost of the base game. If you know for certain you're not interested in Planetary Landings and some vague other expansion content, you can purchase the base game now and be playing immediately. But if you can wait a couple of months, then you can get everything and just play the bits you want to.

Yeah, not very clear, I blame :frontear:

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.

no_recall posted:

I'm actually in a python with 2x c2 mining lasers, seems to be too much for 3 limpet drones.

Even six limpet drones wouldn't be overkill for double Class II mining lasers. Your Python should have no problems accomodating more limpets.

Insert name here posted:

How is the Assault Ship anyway? A bunch of people earlier in the thread were talking about how it's pretty decent, and I was wondering what it's good for. I might go and pick one up.

It's amazingly nimble for such a massive ship, its turning is comparable to (and possibly a bit better than) a Vulture. It has terribly lovely shields, however, which is only partially mitigated by quite thick armour. The FAS hardpoints take some getting used to, as well, as, from a pilot's perspective, they're located at 12, 3, 6, and 9 o'clock. As a fighter, it fits between a Vulture and a Python.

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.

Major Isoor posted:

Alright well, I'm still tempted to get a Federal Assault Ship, especially after some of the conversations in here regarding it. Here is my current build (not being too combat-focused - I do still want to have a hold to be able to multi-role a little), which costs a total of 79.3mil spacebux. So, with me being slightly rusty and generally inexperienced with building up ships, can any of you spot any glaring flaws with it? Any and all information would be greatly appreciated!

Hull reinforcement is a good idea, I'm not sure if the weak-ish shields are really worth boosting. Unless you plan on doing PvP in your FAS, I'd ditch the point defense (perhaps chaff?)

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.
So, I poked around Sothis just earlier. In my opinion, cherry picking missions from Sothis / Ceos is still a reasonably lucrative run - it's just not as ridiculously profitable as it was pre-nerf. Hopping between the two stations in Sothis and the one in Ceos, I picked up 4 missions worth slightly under a million each, and filled the rest of my hold with the rare good there (crystalline gold). That's around 4.5 million for the half hour it takes to resolve the four deliveries. So it's still faster than mining, and at least as good as mass hauling. I'll note I didn't see a single mission that paid over one million credits, though, and even those were quite rare - I was only able to pick up 4 of them between the three stations. The whole thing is super fast if you're in a scoop-less Asp. Given the volume of missions with big payouts, though, there is no longer any incentive to go there in a ship larger than an Asp.

tl;dr Sothis is no longer a gold rush, but it's possibly still the most efficient use of time for money. Just by a smaller margin, post-nerf.

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.
Anyone have a good build for an Anaconda Explorer, off the top of their head? I've been fooling around with down-rating modules and fittings, but I haven't found a fit I'm really comfortable with.

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.

Sard posted:

Holy poo poo. Is the mining CG still going? I spent a while getting up there in my stripped-down-for-the-FAS FDS and spent a while mining in a nearby system, I didn't want to head back to Kaushpoos until I had at least 100 palladium. I hope I can still get in on that part.

I wouldn't worry, the mining CG is going sloooow. Hadn't even reached Tier 1, last I saw. 12 tons sold got me into the top 33%.

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.
The golden Sidewinder is great, both ironically and un-ironically. Like someone had the rare combination of determination and lack of self-awareness to gild their Ford Taurus.

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.

LCL-Dead posted:

Assuming total hyperspace distance is measured in LY traveled it would support that theory given that 24k LY is about the distance of a one way trip to Sag A.

Scared me. I too want to disappear into the black someday but I'd at least like a decent reward for all of the time spent honking and jumping.

My round trip to Sag A took 2 months, and netted me about 40 million credits. I went very slowly, and honked a lot of stuff. It was mainly the thing I did while watching movies.

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.

Valatar posted:

I took advantage of the Clipper sale to purchase a luxurious machine of sweeping majesty and subtle beauty. Then, because I sold my Type 6 for the money to get it, I slapped a mining laser on it and crashed it into the rings on Frey 4 to bounce around space rocks. It's actually proven to be a fantastic mining ship, if vastly overpriced for the job I have it doing.. Even with just the basic 128 ton hold, I dump in about ninety drones, space trucker out to a ring, and usually have over a hundred tons of good metals by the time I run out of limpets.

I hauled the resulting 90ish tons of palladium in two batches out to Kaushpoos and immediately wound up in the top 33% bracket for the CQ. I get the impression that most players must somewhat suck at mining.

Mining is quite easy, but it's very boring compared to everything else you could be doing. And without a CG, it's a bit more profitable to be hunting pirates or doing massive trading runs.

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.

Sankis posted:

I preordered horizon on the frontier site but before doing it I didn't even bother to check if it'd be compatible with my steam version. Does anyone know the answer? I couldn't find a mention on the store page at all.

I'm sure it'll be fine. Maybe someone else can confirm, but I understand the Steam launcher just launches the Frontier launcher.

Zaardvark fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Nov 4, 2015

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.
Anyone here doing the Cayutorme CG? Both sides of the conflict are offering spacebux for combat bonds in the CGs. Natually, I signed up for both sides.

https://community.elitedangerous.com/node/301

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.

Sard posted:

I've never done a combat bond CG before, how does the bonus pay work for these?

tl;dr: Pick up both CG missions, pop over to the nearby combat zone, and shoot mans for money. The bonds are worth money, and redeeming the bonds for money will also get you bonus money. The more money is redeemed in this fashion, the more bonus money is paid.

In this particular case, there is only one station in the system, so both warring factions are represented there. Fly to Adkins Port and pick up the CG mission(s) first. You may as well pick them both up - even though they're in opposition, they're not mutually exclusive. As per usual, you'll enter the CZ, pick a side, and shoot guys to accumulate Combat Bonds, payable by the side you picked. When you redeem the bonds for credits, at Adkins, the applicable CG mission will update to reflect the total value of Bonds you've submitted.

Each CG mission will show the total value of all bonds redeemed, for all players. As this global total increases , the 'Goal' advances on the progress track, visible as a chart in the mission details. As successive goal tiers are achieved by the community at large, the bonus payout for each participant increases. It's a sliding scale, so the higher a tier is achieved, the greater the bonus pay for each level of contribution. Just typing this out makes it sound more complicated than it really is.

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.

Sard posted:

The FAS actually looks like a Goddamned fish and can fire two large plasma accelerators aligned with its nose while ramming. What more could you want in this life?

Oh cool so it's like other goals, then. When I first checked it just said the reward was proportional to combat bonds submitted and didn't show tiers, so I figured it was different. Is it particularly hard to regain neutrality if you drive a major faction like the Empire to hate you?

Fighting in a Combat Zone will not affect your reputation with the factions inside. You can kill Imperials all day, and the local Imperial stations will still cheerfully cash out your Combat Bonds. I guess it's like how soccer teams shake hands after the match.

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.

Pogue Ma Hoon posted:

Oh I did that too. The first CZ was low and I did fine until there was no one left to fight then the second was the high intensity and I died pretty quick.
I was a little confused by the combatants. They were the Feds and the system security when I thought it was going to be the Cartel vs whomever the other dudes were.

e: Aw crap, was I supposed to get combat bonds before I fought for stuff?

A Combat Bond is a reward for killing mans in a Combat Zone - you go back to a station to redeem them for money. Each time you kill a guy, the combat bond value of the ship is added to a line in your transactions list. You can do all of that without specifically picking a side in a combat zone, but you should pick a side, as detailed above, so friendlies are marked green and enemies are marked red.

On top of all that, if you are doing a combat zone-related mission (kill x dudes in a a CZ) or CG (like the one happening in Cayutorme), then you should pick that mission up first. But you only have to do that once.

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.
A quick FYI: there's a mining CG going on at HIP 8396, at Stepping Stone Base:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=187372

The objective is to 'mine and sell' Osmium at the Outpost there. It's pretty cool, the more Tiers are achieved, the more the Outpost is upgraded, with the highest rank being an upgrade all the way up to an Orbis station.

HOWEVER, the CG is infuriatingly awkward, and likely not worth the effort:

1) As mentioned, the station is an Outpost, so no landing pads larger than Medium
2) HIP 8396 is approximately 300 Ly outside of the bubble, so you must have a fuel scoop to get there, which eats the precious internal slots of small ships
3) Stepping Stone has no Outfitting facilities, so no re-fitting ships once you arrive

So if you want to mine local to HIP 8396, you need a medium mining ship with a fuel scoop, no larger.

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.
Interesting: Zhen Dock, in Xihe, is currently controlled by a faction named 'Space Poultry'. Is that a player faction?

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.
Early Access is also a form of beta testing, but you're generally not paying a premium to participate - in fact, it's largely the opposite, Early Access is a bit cheaper than retail. Paying extra for beta access doesn't seem like something I'd ever do.

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.

Foehammer007 posted:

Anyone play elite on Xbox one? I was thinking about picking it up, just curious how the population is (if it's same universe or separate)

From what I understand the XBox and PC games share the BGS, that is, market prices and Community Goals and Power Play and system ownership and stuff like that, but they do not share instances, so you will only ever see / play with other XBox people.

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.

Thronde posted:

2 Questions, how do I enable the screen shot camera (what keybind do i need to set) and 2, was your DBE yellow from paint/sun/or is that how it comes? I want skins for DBS :(

The debug camera (i.e. the external camera) is toggled on / off with CTRL+ALT+Space. The camera controls are a bit stupid, you manoeuvre it the same way you'd steer the ship.

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.

Mitchicon posted:

What mumble / TS server are goons using? I've not seen goons on the CTS Elite Dangerous group lately.

We tend to hang out in IRC, and head to Mumble only when we're winged up in a Combat Zone or something.
Mumble, from the top post:

quote:

Whoops! I forgot this wasn't the PGS thread. Edited out the Mumble info

*edit* Yeah, if you want to get in on the Mumble, the info is in the PGS thread.

Zaardvark fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Nov 21, 2015

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.
Whoops! I'll edit my post.

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.
Holy crap, take a look a R Coronae Astrini A if you have a moment or two. I thought there was something wrong with my ReShade at first.

That's not sped up. It's rotating really really fast.

Zaardvark fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Nov 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.
By way of apologizing for thinking I was in the PGS thread, here is a picture of my spacepenis:

• Locked thread