Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
I'll probably pick this up just based on preview and beta footage I've seen. Especially considering its sub 30 bucks on preorder. No versus is kind of a bummer but there seems like there's enough to do on the coop side and a stiff challenge available on the higher difficulties.

I wonder how much of the old L4D2 crew will show up for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

dtkozl posted:

I understand that but I had a lot of games where the host would crash and the level would reset, so it wasn't just me crashing. There were also port and connection issues when a friend and I tried to host a game which is just stupid in this day and age. My point was for those that DID like it just to be wary about the whole pre order business because I know most people would rather have a game that works on release. I was fairly clear about that.

I think the biggest actual design flaw with the game is they are just going to have the payday 2 problem where everyone just plays one mission over and over to get new loot. It would have been better to actually copy left4dead where the missions were a little shorter but you have to play a chain of them, with of course an item drop at the end of each little mission and maybe the big roll at the end of the chain. I personally just get bored quickly when my 2 options are play the same poo poo again or wait forever to try and get a game on something else.

I think one of the biggest problems with payday 2 was specifically because there was far too much grindy bullshit between having to farm cash, experience, and the weapon parts. The players singling out one or two missions to farm was them becoming a victim of the skinner box design. The fact that your potential weapon parts cards in payday shared a loot pool with mask parts and cash (at least initially, I'm not sure how it is now). The fact that you could just as really get a bunch of parts for one of the 30 weapons you didn't have due to experience or money constraints, or it just flat out suckling really exacerbated that.

So far, just based on how it's being reported, it doesn't seem like the weapon grind is nearly as soul sucking, but I guess we have to have the whole game out before I can say definitively.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Oct 9, 2015

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Goddamn all the talk from people in the $2 beta is getting me hyped up something fierce. Preorder beta starts tomorrow, correct?

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Magni posted:

Afaik they are not going to wipe the pre-order beta progress you make unless they enounter some kind of progression-beaking mega-bug or something.

We really need a goon TS or mumble channel to organise groups for this.

The stream I was watching this afternoon showed an exploit on the Horn map where you could hang out on the horn itself during the final event and the rats have a hell of a time finding you.

As far as mumble, we've got the Camping The Stairs that I would reckon will be the go-to for goon organizing. We already have a steam group in the OP, join that.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

MagnumOpus posted:

Right now the only maps I see are Horn of Magnus, Smugglers Run, and Supply and Demand.

Judging by the streams I watched before they closed beta last night, each map seems to be about the length of at least 2 left 4 dead maps. There seems to be more swarm/timed/holdout events in each map compared to l4d as well.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Grimoirs give you extra loot dice if you can drag it to the end of the map, but it sits in your first aid slot and cuts everyone's max health while is being carried

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

terrorist ambulance posted:

Anyone got a cliffs notes on how this is different from L4D / what to do / where to go for someone who's just playing the beta for the first time

I'd like to spend a minimum of time getting yelled at (or at least getting yelled at where I deserve it)

You don't want to do the marathon race to the end like l4d. Take a bit more time and scavenge because you want to get those bonuses to loot that come from the dice. There are more obstacles that will slow you up and one way barricades that can cause you to get separated in a way that your friends can't rescue you. I'm specifically unsure if there are respawn closets on the low difficulties like there is on l4d, but I would not hedge your life on it.

Ranged weapons tend towards limited ammunition and/or sketchy accuracy or reuse time or damage. Don't think you can mouse1+W your way through this like left 4 dead. Hacking your way through a mob of rats will take way longer than blasting your way through a l4d horde with shotguns while sprinting full tilt.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Oct 16, 2015

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Demiurge4 posted:

The rifle/hand pistol for the soldier is pretty amazing too. It'll murder most specials (even the armored ones) in one shot but it has a rather long reload timer. You can roll a 50% reload reduction on greens/blues though.

From the look of it so far the soldier is my favorite, the warhammer sweeps rats like a combine harvester and it even has armor penetration for the bigger stuff. What's the trick to taking down rat ogres though?

If the rat ogre is attacking you: Block. If he's not attacking you: Chug a strength potion and ruin him. Ranged weapons don't seem to really do a whole lot unless you're consistent on the headshots. Grenades are probably better served against stormvermin or hordes, but people tend to forget about their strength potions for him. Lighting him on fire tends to grab his attention and I've wound up having to block tank him as the Bright Wizard more often than not. Shield bashes dont seem to do a lot to grab his attention.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
I'm coming to the conclusion that the Wayfarer's Trueflight Longbow is brokenly good. It does damage comparable to the WH/Dwarf crossbow while having more ammo, a faster reload, and it homes in and autoheadshots multiple rats per shot when you charge it. The thing is unequivocally great at pretty much everything: It wrecks specials and autoaims them so you don't have to, it hit's multiple shitling enemies per fire, and in the event of a swarm all you have to do is get behind the tank in the doorway and fire blindly out the door because the arrows do all the work for you. My trueflight has extended ammo as well, so I've got 40 shots per reload which lets me get super liberal with firing it off willy nilly.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
I have a beam staff that has -10% heat generation. Doesn't seem like much on paper, but apparently that puts the secondary attack's heat generation to be nearly on par with the cooling rate. I can fire the beam for a solid minute and never hit the safety ticks.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Kanos posted:

You don't really manipulate trueshot arrows, you just kind of fire them and let them do their own thing(while respecting their turning angles so you still have to aim in the vague direction of your target). If you want precision, bring the longbow and use that instead, since the weaknesses of the trueflight bow are ammo and randomness. As for melee, while the daggers are my favorite weapon I strongly recommend you don't bring them unless your friends have horde sweeping 100% covered. They're amazing for killing stormvermin and rat ogres but make you nearly helpless to stop multiple enemies at once on your own. For horde sweeping, bring the dual swords because their entire combo chain is sweeping attacks so you can just rail on the button while strafing from side to side and permanently stunlock a horde on your own; the drawback is that their power attack kind of blows so fighting stormvermin in melee is annoying. For a hybrid playstyle, bring the single sword or the sword/dagger; you'll end up with a mix of slashing and stabbing attacks so you're not as good at fighting hordes, but you gain the downward slash/stab powerattack for better stormvermin fighting.

Alternatively, the single longsword is a legit weapon for the elf. The regular attacks are still wide swings with reasonable crowd control, but the power attack is a big overhead chop that does a shitpile of damage to single tough enemies like stormvermin.

The trueshot bow is powerful, but it's tricky to use well. You are more ammo limited with it and it tends to have a mind of its own in regards to targeting, but if you can keep on point it's an absurd auto headshot generator. You need to learn to use uncharged shots if there is someone behind a pack of slaves that just had to die immediately since those don't home.

Aside from that, longbow is also legit for the same reasons the crossbows are generally good. The Swiftbow and hag bow are both poo poo tier and should be salvaged for upgrade material asap.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
The game has decided I'm to play bright wizard from now on. Out of the 10 drops I got tonight at least 7 of them were wizard staffs. Of the remaining, I got a flaming sword, an orange set of drakefire pistols, and a blue crossbow for the dwarf.

I just want some gear for Saltspire :saddowns:

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Demiurge4 posted:

Dual daggers are okay though. You'll be a hit on nightmare wheat and chaff with your stormvermin assassination skills.

The thing is, the single longsword for the elf is just as good at cracking stormvermin on the power attack and the regular attack is way better at stunning regular enemies.

People have been talking poo poo about the bright wizard in the harder difficulties and I'm just not seeing it. I've been doing nightmare runs fairly regularly the last couple of days and still regularly top the end map results screen. The trick is that the fireball and bolt staffs are pubby trap weapons. The beam and conflagration staffs are killer on those difficulties because each has an AoE fire mode that doesn't friendly fire.

The beam staff primary fire smites the area in front of you shotgun style and while it doesn't kill clan rats on the initial hit, the fire will kill them eventually and it does kill the slave rat swarms in a single hit, turning you into death incarnate on them. The secondary is basically a laser sniper rifle that will murder anything you point out at for long enough. If your teammates are awake it's pretty easy for them to not cross the hot death beam while it's going. I'm not normally one to advocate ranged weapons on a rat ogre, but a strength potion and the beam staff really work him over.

It also helps that all of the wizards melee weapons are all really good in crowd control. I've got a flaming longsword now with improved shove and extra block stamina that basically turns me into a poor man's sword and board only my shield is on fire.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
For the people complaining about lack of impact in melee; what is your high water mark for melee in a first person game? The last game I can think of to be both first person and have a incredibly good satisfying meaty melee system outside of chivalry was Condemned and to a lesser extent FEAR 1. Every other game I can think of that does significant melee is either all pre-canned animations (FarCry) or has the sense of impact like you're hitting enemies with a wet noodle (left4dead). In that regard I feel like the melee impact in this game is fantastic. You are dealing with hordes of small shitling mobs it makes sense that you could swing a sword and cleave three of them and cut them up in visually satisfying ways.

Even something like chivalry is going to be its own beast in ways that Vermintide can never be. Chivalry is a game about dudes of similar size, equipment, and (theoretically) skill level pounding on each other. I'm sure if they made every clan rat as big a threat as a chivalry player the melee would be harrowing and impactful, but then they would have to make the horde size like 8 rats max otherwise you'd never make it more than about 2 minutes into a mission.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Tokubetsu posted:

So does the conflag staff secondary (the aoe) hurt teammates on nightmare?

Not at all.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Finally got my first blue for the witch hunter in a rapier with mighty shoves and chance on guard break to regain full guard and it's night and day compared to using the lovely white axe I had before. I had kind of written the rapier off in normal because it couldn't one shot clan rats but now that I pretty much only play hard or nightmare the extra hitstun and swing speed is super invaluable. Between the faster swing, the wider arc, and headshot it more than makes up in lethality compared to the zweihander.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

hooman posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Vermintide: Sorry, I am salty about bad elfs pubbies.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
So any of the Warhammer lore nerds able to speculate on something? Based in the scant things I know about Warhammer Fantasy coupled with other speculators in the thread I'm running on the assumption that if they add new classes the first thing we'll probably see is a White Lion or a Brettonian Knight. What kind of weapons would we expect to see from them? I'm assuming we'll get sword and shield as a baseline so well have 3 potential tank characters, but I was curious about what else would be lore appropriate.

In my mind eye I could see them both getting a short spear and shield for an extended range straight line enemy penetrating/headshot attack with slowish speed. Maybe a longspear/lance that serves their big heavy weapon, less of a wide sweep but does heavy damage and penetrates as well. Maybe give them a great axe with a move set similar to the dwarf.

For ranged weapons I can see either of them getting a way watcher style longbow and maybe a fancier crossbow that does less damage but reloads faster and has more ammo. I'm completely at a loss as to their third ranged weapon though. Maybe like a bundle of throwing javelins? Have it be the ranged slot equivalent of the witch hunter rapier in that it's primarily a ranged weapon that you can block with albeit poorly, primary attack is throwing it as a high damage high accuracy but low range/high projectile drop ranged weapon and have the rapier "fire pistol" button do a quick melee stab.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Oct 27, 2015

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Elpato posted:

Getting loot for another class usually inspires me to switch to that class for a bit to check out my new toy. Maybe once I get comfortable with everything, I'll want better gear for specific classes, but until then I'll probably have fun with the grab bag loot system.

The thing is, based on my experience the loot table is weighed towards the class you are currently playing. When I play bright wizard I get about 50-60‰ bright wizard loot. Likewise for the dwarf. I was complaining and griping about my witch hunter having nothing but white items and the first run I did yesterday after forcing myself to play him with bad gear netted me a blue rapier.

Before that I was one of those idiots that went to fuse 4 witch hunter weapons I wanted with a white hat bow I wanted to get rid of and got a green hag bow out of it. That left my WH with a white axe and pistol brace for above mentioned hard run.

Hag bow: not even once.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Dezztroy posted:

I really just want a DLC character with some polearms. Though I guess since they're doing new weapon types for existing characters first, it's probably likely Kruber will get a halberd. (correct me if wrong but the Empire is big on halberds, right?)

If that's the case, then yeah, I could definitely see the elf get a spear and the sergeant a short spear and shield or poleaxe/halberd. Most of the dwarf weaponry is represented iirc so I'm not sure what he'd get, throwing axes or a flamethrower maybe? The bright wizard could get a melee staff with some sort of short ranged AoE as a secondary attack. The witch hunter I'm completely clueless on because I'm not real sure how they operate in the lore. Repeater crossbow? Rapier and buckler or dual rapier?

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Night10194 posted:

It's kinda funny that the elf's bow is one of the worse ranged weapons in the game and she's much better played as a psychopathic blender.

I mean, all the characters have a really good ranged weapon they can focus on primarily (if you don't like the longbow I will cut you IRL) and at least one melee blender style weapon that can stun lock crowds. Saying dual swords is the premier wide sweep murder weapon hasn't spent enough time with the rapier, the wizard sword both flaming and not, the dwarf 1h hammer, ect.

If you we're to argue that the true flight bow encourages bad habits I'll agree with you. It's significantly less useful come nightmare where arrows move erratically and friendly fire like crazy. The regular longbow is straight legit though and I have no problem letting the elf suck up all the ammo drops if he uses it well. Likewise a dwarf with good drakefire pistols can tear it up as a midrange skirmisher and with proper application can tear up swarms with it as good as the bright wizard.

Hell, the other day I did a nightmare run as the wizard doing the melee blender thing with the fire sword and tore poo poo up.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Out of curiosity from someone who never played Fantasy, how was all of this revealed? Was there a series of End Times official books, or did the next generation's rule book go "rocks fall everyone dies now fantasymarines"

There are official books and also addendum rules to Warhammer fantasy for endtimes that reflect some of the changes that happen (The elf teams uniting, Karl Franz getting possessed by Sigmar, Nagash uniting the undead). The books are generally considered pretty universally bad and kill of several HUGELY important named characters offscreen (One of two of whom were main focuses of previous end times books) and give them one line references to their offscreen death in later books. One of these was the Ork leader Grimgor Ironhide who previously stopped the end of the world in the Storm of Chaos campaign by headbutting the head Chaos guy in the dick right before he claimed victory.

If you read the d4chan wiki entry on end times it gives you a pretty good idea of what all goes down.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
I thought the EYE guys were making some sort of 40k Inquisition RPG (only officially this time). I could of sworn I seen that before.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Blue and green weapons are completely unneeded for hard and only barely needed for nightmare. I was running hard as a witch hunter that only had white weapons and as an empire soldier who had a white hammer and green blunderbuss last weekend and did fine in both cases. In 95‰ of cases, if your group wiped in whites they would still wipe in blues and oranges.

I refuse to do black powder because I remember launch Payday 2 and everyone including myself making GBS threads themselves grinding the jewelry store heist mission because that's where loot lived. That poo poo burned me out and ruined the game for me.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Oct 29, 2015

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

SealHammer posted:

I guess this attitude is pretty common, which would explain why I occasionally get randomly kicked 10 seconds after joining a game. Pubbies are literal trash.

I mean, it's been a thing in most fantasy multiplayer games that the elf race and archer/hunter class is generally an idiot magnet. I don't know what it is about both of those things that attracts idiots but it is what it is.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

if the gear is unnecessary, it should not be in the game then, and in fact, it would be better without it since it creates this exact situation

Because the loot is the reason you come back to the game. It's the skinner box that keeps people playing. It's strictly unnecessary mechanically but also gives you a neat way to differentiate yourself from others (your hammer has extra guard and mighty shoves? That's cool, mine heals on hit and feeds me ammo!).

Granted I'm not real jazzed about the semi random loot drops (I say semi random because they tend to be weighted toward the character you are playing) due to my previously mentioned Payday 2 grinding allergy, but you know what I do instead of breaking the developers core gameplay loop exploiting a bug? I play the game. It's actually kind of fun, you should try it sometime. If goons give you poo poo about hobo gear then that's a bad goon you shouldn't play with.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

People still play l4d2, constantly. There is 0 inherent reason this game need loot to be viable. None.

People still play tf2 constantly and the transition to free to play and the loot grinds were seen as a big shot in the arm for them too.

If your logic is "I'm going to exploit the gently caress out of this mechanic that is also BAD AND IT SHOULDN'T BE IN THE GAME" then I agree with the poster who said your brain is broken.

It's a bug, it will be fixed. I wonder if the devs will go to the length of actually punishing exploiters and /or rewarding people that didn't exploit like what tf2 did when they first started introducing hat grinds that were cheat-engine-able

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Mr. Wookums posted:

All staffs are fun. It's super easy to get headshots on normal/hard by just rightclicking then leftclicking immediately with the zeus staff.

The bolt staff alternate fire is really good but chews up heat like crazy. I find the primary fire on it to be absolute hot garbage. It's inaccurate and it takes far to many hits to kill clan/slave rats to be useful against hordes.

I tend to lean beam staff because it's just as good a sniper tool while also being a better horde mulcher.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Night10194 posted:

His zweihander's a good weapon but I always kinda feel like if I wanted to get my dopplesoldat on I'd just play Kruber, so I prefer the hatchet and rapier.

Rapier is super legit which is weird because I completely wrote it off initially when I still played normal because it didn't 1 shot clan rats there. When you get to hard/nightmare and very few melee quick attacks kill in one shot anymore and stunlocking enemies becomes the name of the game you really begin to appreciate just how much faster the weapon is and how well it locks poo poo down.

The hatchet I'm still not super sold on because it's bad at hordes and the rapier can still kill storm vermin pretty quick with charged headshots. I kind of wish the hatchet was paired with a pistol if only to differentiate it from the dwarf axe a little better.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Captain Gordon posted:

Maybe I am just bad at videogames, but I had literally 20 attempts to beat it on hard with blue/green weapons and AP weapon combos, and no luck so far :(

When I beat it we stayed along the outside wall and avoided going into that middle swamp at all costs. It was too easy down there to get swarmed and have a pack master drag your friends away one by one.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
You know, the dwarf handgun may be good but I may never know because you'll have to pry these orange drakefire pistols with reduced heat buildup and projectile split from my cold dead hands.

If I get an orange handgun maybe I'll replace it.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Gonkish posted:

Trueflight Longbow is the only ranged weapon an elf should be using. If, for some reason, they're stuck playing the elf. The poor fucks.

I feel like the trueflight bow is trying to hard to be helpful in finding the next target. I've missed point blank shots on gutter runners because the arrow decided it was going to home in on a rat on the roof behind me. The homing mechanic needs to change where it only homes in a cone vaguely in the direction you are pointing to make it more useful.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Nov 4, 2015

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Nechronic posted:

Daggers were my first orange too. I hated them for a while but after a few runs they clicked for me. They attack so fast that you can easily counter hit most rats before they finish their attack animation. Headshots will one hit kill, and the power attacks completely poo poo on stormvermin and rat ogres. The shove/block animations are really quick so you should get plenty of use out of the extra stam, and the attack speed buff will let you poke rats to death that much faster since you already have a really high attack speed.

My first orange was Drakefire Pistols, followed by a Dwarf 2h hammer and Dwarf Crossbow both through fusion. My dwarf had some loving kit. Shame the Crossbow has some real unfortunate modifiers otherwise it would be my 100% go to weapon for all times.

I've since also fused up an orange Sword and Shield and Beam Staff, both with poo poo modifiers. I'm not super concerned though because I've got blues for both Solder and Wizard with amazing modifiers that I'm not ready to give up yet.

My big problem until recently was getting trinkets that were worth a poo poo. I'm mid level 40s now and up until the other night the only trinkets I had was the green potion sharing one, and two different -20% packmaster trinkets. All at once on Wednesday I got three more in one night: A Blue +4% move speed, a green 10% healing dupe on use, and a blue 20% grenade dupe on use. Still not the best, but by and far not the worst either.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
I think I'm approaching the end of my time on Vermintide until they start dropping content patches. I feel like I've seen what needs to see with the game and it's starting to get kind of stale for the moment. I got like 90 hours out of it which is more than I can say for most other $30 games I've bought. I guess it doesn't help that Fallout day is Tuesday and I'm probably going to fall into a deep hole on that.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

xthetenth posted:

I'm still going to play a good bit but I have a feeling that the long term life of it is going to be contingent on turning into something like payday 2 is, where they continually drip out dlc stuff that gets people interested again.

I think the problem in this case is that Payday 2 came out with DLC already in the pipeline. At release we already had a reasonable idea what was coming in the upcoming months/weeks. I don't think Fat Shark even started the DLC development pipeline yet since it's a tiny team and they weren't sure if they had the install base to warrant DLC. The best we've gotten from devs so far is "I don't know, maybe more character weapons soonish."

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

FastestGunAlive posted:

I don't know much about warhammer lore but if a new character were to be added what would you like to see? Also I'd def like to smash a new group of baddies (not that i hate killing rat or anything )

The most fitting I can think of for the game would be a High elf Corsair. He would fit the bill for having both melee and ranged capacity and they have reasons to be roaming around in the old world.

Anything Brettonian (think arthurian legend except taking place in fantasy-notfrance) would be difficult to do well because the iconic Bret units they pull from largely chivalrous melee inspirations and wouldn't have much of a ranged game. You could make a Questing Knight work kind of if you let him use 2 melee weapons and gave him some hellish reach with a lance/polearm. Alternatively you could handwave a Man-At-Arms if you wanted to have a dirty warrior peasant to be rude at everyone forever.

I would think a Tilean or Estalian or Kislevian mercenary who focuses on throwing weapons could be an interesting.

If we wanted to add more spellcasters and wanted to get weird with it, most of the Vampire Counts during the end times fought on the Order side for large swaths of it. Say what you will about them, a worldwide apocalypse threatens to cut them off from their food source, so they know what side their bread is buttered on. A vampire character could do the melee + Spellcasting thing, just make their spells staves more death and decay themed and they could friction even harder with Saltzpyre than the bright wizard already does.

If you wanted to be more generic, there are other wizardly lores you could represent in game. Bring in a Celestial wizard that can butt heads with the bright wizard. An Amber wizard could work as a sneaky trapsy wizard that can hulk out and shapeshift for his melee attacks.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jul 26, 2016

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Night10194 posted:

Even before the world was ending, at least three of the major vampiric lines would be totally in character to throw in with the heroes against the ratmen. A Dragon would do it because gently caress, hundreds of things to kill and no-one's going to complain? You don't usually get a day that good. A Lahmian would be pissed off about her city and all her plans getting disrupted. A Carstein might do it partly to show off and partly because gently caress, these people are supposed to be MY livestock.

Also, Empire Engineer with pigeon bombs would be dope.

Blood Dragons would have the same problem that Bret Knights would in that they generally shun ranged combat and generally also magic. As awesome as one would be, I just don't see one making an appearance. A Lahmian would be cool because you generally don't see them in the Warhammer video games.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Yeah I got an orange one of those too. It's slow and doesn't sweep everything in front of you so I haven't figured out how to get anything done with it.

Rapier is no poo poo a legit good weapon though? The spam attack is super fast and hits a fairly good number of rats in a swing, allowing you to stunlock shitlings with it (which is way more important in the harder difficulties than you would think). It has a super fast charge attack which, when combined with Headshot actually makes it good at dealing with armored enemies like Stormvermin.

Like, the only bad melee weapon Saltzpyre has is the hand axe, and that's more a factor of it being bat at killing slaverats by the dozen, it's actually really good for turbo murdering stormvermin and the roger.

For the ranged options, the only bad option he's got is the repeater pistol, since it does what the brace does only shittier. If it had Armor piercing or something that'd be a different story. The crossbow (both for him and for the dwarf) get poo-pooed a lot because it's not the coach gun murdersniper, but it does as much damage and pierces enemies and reloads faster than the handgun, so I actually find it a bit more versatile in general use situations.

Salty's claymore is really good too, the charged attack has excellent sweep to it and it, like the hammers for the dwarf and sergeant, can be used to great effect once you get a feel for the cadence of the charge attacks.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Oct 7, 2016

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Digirat posted:

The one handed axe is the worst melee weapon in the game. Absolutely anything else is better on the dwarf or witch hunter.

With the elf's melee weapons your goal should be to get either a halberd or sword & dagger (definitely the easier of the two to get). The difference in quality between those and her other three options is massive.

On the other end of the spectrum, axe+shield is one of the dwarf's best weapons in the game. The light attack penetrates armor and is great at crumping stormvermin and the rogre, and the heavy attack hits a ridiculously wide area and knocks everything down like bowling pins and comes out super fast compared to the 2h hammer. 420 shield punch slaveskaven erryday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Digirat posted:

At first I thought that was the WH's two handed sword icon, but then I noticed that that icon is actually on the far left column of the sheet, in the very middle. This weapon looks much longer and may be a lance. However, the middle icon looks so much like a spear that I'm not sure it is a lance--presumably they would make the lance icon at least somewhat like that spear icon, or vice versa.

Either way that's definitely 2 new weapons, potentially 3. Hopefully for each of the 3 classes who did not get one in drachenfels. But none of them look like they would fit the bright wizard, unless they're actually going to give her a two handed melee weapon and make her even more overpowered. God only knows what that gun is, but it's probably bardin's new weapon.

I could see the Saltzpyre getting a single drakefire pistol, or it could be Baradin getting some sort of drakefire shotgun, or maybe an Irondrake flamethrower(:flashfap:). My guess is that Kruber is getting either the spear or the lance(?). If Kruber gets the spear, I don't know who would get the last one because a Lance isn't really an iconic weapon for anyone else, unless it's meant to be some sort of thin elfy greatsword for Kerillian.

Edit^^^^ Dark Elves are Evil Canadians, basically.

• Locked thread