Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Ghost looks to be alright so far.

I can't say I love it yet but it's at least decent. Once some more episodes come out we'll really know where it stands. I dropped Wizard partway through episode 6 so it'd have to work to make me dislike it that much.

I hope they don't go too heavy on the "floating around swinging a sword at 1 guy" thing. It's cool when you wire-fu at a bunch of guys but, unless the enemy can do it too, floating around 1 guy is uninteresting (unless they just casually knock him out of the air like they did in this one).

Some midair ghost fighting would probably be cool to see at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Y'know I'm glad I didn't get into Garo at all.

It seems like every post about it is just about how disappointing the sequels have been.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
In Kamen Rider news:

Ghost 3 is out and it seems to be bringing things more together now.

Akari gets to do some SCIENCE! and isn't all "ghosts aren't real!" now and Onari proves his worth as more than just a joke too.

From the preview: Looks like we really are going to be blowing through some number of Ghost's forms pretty quickly (someone mentioned he gets 10 and the other riders split the other 5? I think?). It also looks like we'll get a look at our villains maybe.

It's not as good as Drive was but it certainly has more going on than Wizard did at least. The characters, while a bit much at times, at least do things and interact well. Takeru seems to be getting better as things go too. The villains don't seem to be doing much yet but they're still vague and not upfront about their plans/goal (unlike Wizard which was the whole problem with Wizards villains) so we don't know how Ghost beating the Ganma is really affecting them if at all.

Not sure how I feel about the pace so far, though. Feels like we're blazing through things a bit. Maybe I'm just too used to it being all 2-parters. Maybe things will slow down a little in a few episodes once Ghost's got his base power set and has a proper confrontation with the villains.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Some Numbers posted:

I kind of suspect they're pulling a YuYu Hakusho/Bleach and Takeru will be resurrected partway through the series, but keep fighting the Ganma out of a sense of duty or something.

This is what I'm feeling from things so far.

Something about the Sage Gramps definitely seems wierd but I can't really say what exactly without knowing more about the villains. It may turn out he's a villain, it might turn out he's exactly what he seems to be (an eccentric old man).

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Take a shot everytime Gaoranger uses a CGI shot of a Power Animal they've already used before. Megazord formation doesn't count, obviously.

You'll be dead of liver failure halfway through the series.

Almost twice as fast if you did count the Megazord combination sequence.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Larryb posted:

Not counting shows that had ended up with a bunch of Riders like Ryuki and Gaim or ones that started with two or more Riders (or Rider-like characters) like Blade and Stronger, is this the quickest we've ever been introduced to the secondary Rider on a show?

Edit: Oh wait nevermind, forgot about Ibuki from Hibiki and IXA from Kiva who were also introduced roughly around this time. It still feels a bit too soon to me though, they could have at least waited until around the 6-10 episode mark to bring him in.

Chase was technically introduced in Episode 3. Though he was an antagonist and not quite a Rider at that point.

I feel like we're gonna get introduced to the primary conflict here next episode and the pace is gonna slow down for it. At least I hope that's what happens.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Maybe it'll be better (or at least more consistent) than Ninninger.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
It has just hit me that there is no Ghost this week so, instead of watching a series that might be getting better, how about you guys point me to a series that maybe isn't that good but that I'm interested in?

Where can I find some decent Kabuto subs?

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Burkion posted:

Trippy enough that not a single modern take has EVER managed to surpass it.

Space Sheriff Gavan is a series I truly adore and love the hell out of, with HK subs that are just kind of bad but still understandable, so this is super exciting for me.

It's also a series that is loving awful to try to marathon watch because of how much footage it recycles.

Transformation stock footage is always a little bit annoying but usually it doesn't stop the flow of an episode, and some times it can even work WITH the flow of an episode.

Gavan's transformation is fine the first few times, but HOLY poo poo it gets obnoxious over his series. There you go, having a nice fun action packed episode, and then he does an awesome pose and transforms! And then the episode stops, the narrator kicks in, and you spend TWICE AS LONG OR LONGER seeing what you've already seen.

Still some of the best Toku ever made though.

Anything as good as "Black Superman Black RX" and "STRONGEST QUEER GUY" in those HK subs?

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Zero_Tactility posted:

I'm not sure I understand how long it takes Gavan to transform. Could somebody explain it to me?

Something like a millionth of a second.

They tell you this EVERY TIME HE TRANSFORMS.

Zero_Tactility posted:

Also, I fell behind Drive while it was airing around episode 10, so I've been powering through it the past few days. This is the best indignant-storming-out-of-a-room I've ever seen:

I'm up to 33, and poo poo's getting really good.

Drive is really good and everyone who likes Kamen Rider and anyone who wants to check out Kamen Rider should watch it.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

:downs:

I figured that was the case but I'm never sure

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Burkion posted:

You don't know where I come from

I've always been under the assumption that you came from an alternate universe where the events of Bioman were a thing that actually happened. :v:

Certainly helps explain your bordering-on-obsession love for the show. It reminds you of home. :v:

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
I think Magiranger is pretty good.

It's not going to blow your socks off or anything but it's good fun IMO.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

FortMax posted:

I call bullshit on Yellow Lion being the name. Toei used that in Liveman. (Also, they haven't used something other than [shared name] [color] or [color] [shared name] for the core group since Dairanger.

From what I can tell they are all called Jyuoh <color>.

Also Blue is apparently a woman and gets a proper Blue suit color instead of the usual Aqua/Cyan.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Literally The Worst posted:

link it goddammit

edit i found it. 47 of 84 subbed. not bad.

If you're still in an OP updating mood, here are direct links to Orange Lion's Den-O subs (though it's been a while since they put out any Den-O) and Ęsir's Gaim subs.

Also you should probably stick a link to Over-Time (and the various others like GUIS) in there somewhere. :v:

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

LightningKimba posted:

Out of wonder, what ARE the best suit designs sentai had?

Magiranger because capes.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
I'm glad I'm not the only person who likes the Magiranger capes. :v:

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Twelve by Pies posted:

Having now seen the episode, yeah I wonder what the story with that is, it seems way too weird to be a deliberate choice and there can't be that many NC State jackets lying around Japan, I wonder if the actor is just a fan of them for some reason.

Guy's been wearing that jacket for a while now actually. You just couldn't entirely make out the words on the back until this episode.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
It might end up one of those weird, rare cases where the movie is actually canon for the main plotline rather than a sidestory.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

I continue to be OK with this.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Poison Mushroom posted:

Was Wild Force any good? I remember it fairly fondly, but I was also like 12 at the time. (Same story for Lost Galaxy, actually.)

It's not gonna blow you away or anything but it's far from the worst series.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Dexie posted:

I'm glad I checked out of Ninninger early.

Same.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

John McClane posted:

....I like Gekiranger....

So do I.

If Saban can't make something better out of the footage I don't know what to say. I feel like it probably wouldn't be hard.

Cernunnos fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Feb 7, 2016

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Burkion posted:

I love those helmets but man

It's all one helmet. The Rhino part flips up to reveal the wolf part and the bottom bit flips up to become the crocodile.

It's pretty cool.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
There was a scene a few episodes ago that seems to imply that Yurusen doesn't actually know any more than he/she is saying.

So I think it's mainly Gramps that's holding back information and being vague.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Zhuohger seems pretty good so far. Even if everything looks really dorky with the "CUBES!" aesthetic. :v:

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
I'm 90% sure the narrator for the opening/title cards is the guy who voices Brook in One Piece. :yohoho:

I guess since half the cast of One Piece has been/is out of the picture for a while he's gotta find something else to do. :v:

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Stallion Cabana posted:

I'm pretty impressed we're heading into Episode like 4 and already The Red is not the central focus of the episode and doesn't even appear to have any lines in the preview, which indicates he's going to be pretty minor and the conflict is going to be Leo and Shark with some Tusk issues. It's super surprising.

To be honest, Yamato's sword doesn't even bother me. Like he's the only one with a unique weapon, except he mostly uses it for posing with the entire group, and he doesn't have like a really unique finisher with it or anything, he still uses his little Cube Sidearm thing to do Zyu-Oh Slash.

After taking like 37 episodes for Ninninger to do a full group finisher instead of 'Takaharu only' or 'Takaharu + Random other', I can accept Red having a personal weapon when he still does finishers with the rest of the group

His personal weapon seems to partly be there to make up for the fact that his Beast Awakening doesn't quite give him a combat advantage. It lets him fly, which is nice and still a powerful ability, but not quite "HUGE CLAWS" or "HUGE STOMPY KICK FEET" or "LITERAL LANDSHARK" for combat purposes.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Saban certainly won't be willing to pay for Horse Head masks. :v:

It's kinda sad that I can say this almost un-ironically.

Cernunnos fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Mar 10, 2016

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

gourdcaptain posted:

Right after he showed up I was wondering if he had the same voice actor as Joseph Joestar in the recent Stardust Crusaders part of the Jojo's Bizarre Adventure anime. Especially once he does the big NOOOO. Yep, one Google search later, I found out both are played by Unshō Ishizuka. Cool.

Less impressed with the ZyuohGorilla suit and already getting Red exclusive powerups, though.

On top of Larri being Joseph Jo-rilla, the main villain is voiced by the guy who did Kars in Battle Tendancy. :v:

They've got a pretty cool voice cast going for this sentai.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Serious Frolicking posted:

Ghost is really picking up steam now. I'm not sure why it was necessary to bother lying about Alain killing his dad, though. Like 99.99% of the ganma world population seems to be drones and flying dragons.

• It's a coup. That's how coups work. Somebody has to take the fall.
  • They have to have some reason for him to join the good guys and fight his brother.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Oh Snapple! posted:

How has Zyuohger been so far? Both of Kyoryuger's successors failed to grab me and I really want that trend to be broken.

I think it's off to a pretty decent start.

It's a drat sight better than Nininger at least. Red isn't hoarding the limelight like he'll fade away if he's not on screen and the rest of the cast is decent so far.

Plus we just had Bolivian(?) Joseph Jo-rilla. And the sixth is THE WORLD! :v:

HOLA!

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Darksaber posted:

That's the analogy someone else made to me and it works well. I also just saw about the Kamen Rider Mach / Heart v-cinema, is it unusual for a show to get this much post-series material, or do I just not notice it since I didn't like the other shows as well as Drive?

Also related, here's some korean toku that the company actually put english subs up for on Youtube. The first two eps are up and they're honestly decent? Called Legend Heroes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUKUjYIsnUA

Gaim has gotten like 2-3 post series things I think. Not sure about any others.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Some Numbers posted:

Do you guys really like Meteor that much?

Motto posted:

He's fine, it's his arc that's dumb.

You should definitely watch Fourze and Drive after you finish W, nerdman. They are good.

Maybe also Gaim. It's decent but kinda divisive.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

I'm just going to point this out:

Our heroines have platform heels and molded boob armor on their martial arts "super" suits.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

gourdcaptain posted:

Yeah, as someone who's a ToQGer fan and didn't really get into Ninninjer, I spent the film just feeling really bored. Or frustrated, because I find Takaharu's actors screaming irritating.

I'm fired up :geno:

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Poison Mushroom posted:

At this rate, this could be our The Room.

So people won't be able to make fun of it in videos without Saban threatening/trying to sue them?

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Dr Tran posted:

Shout Factory is gonna make Ohranger happen

Link?

Their subs are pretty decent quality right? If they keep up this pace they might catch up to the (future) current sentai before Saban can. :v:

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Burkion posted:

I really hope they change that for his movie, though I don't have high hopes for it regardless.

But if you look at the promo images and stills for the suit design, you can tell that it is most definitely not spandex even in intent. It's weird faux armor-ish and the eyes are straight up mechanical.

IIRC at some point in one of the continuities Tony Stark actually made Spider-man a semi-Iron-Man-type suit. Maybe their going for a reference to that? I dunno I haven't really kept up with any superhero movies since, like, Avengers 1. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Craptacular! posted:

I gave up on sentai like 12 years ago. I liked Hurricanger for it's storytelling and Abaranger for it's ability to balance on the line between corny laughs and emotional drama. Magiranger was just too clearly aimed at children. It didn't have any of the bite that I come to expect from the Japanese series. Unless it got significantly darker further in, it looked like it could have passed as a PR show with no real changes.

So with all that in mind, what should I watch?

Go finish Magiranger. It's good.

If you don't want to budge on that you should check out Shinkenger, Gokaiger, Kyoryuger, and the current series Zyuohger.

• Locked thread