Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

FTL-like white base game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Warmachine posted:

I mean if we're just going straight to fantasy let Paradox make a Gundam grand strategy game.

“Install locks on gundam cockpits” is like the final box of the tech tree eh

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Kanos posted:

People bang on about it being silly that giant multi-ton death machines wouldn't be locked down and secured, but honestly real life military vehicles typically are locked on-base with padlocks and frequently don't even have standard outside locks; armored vehicles have hatch locks, but they're activated from the inside.

The assumption is that there will be soldiers present to guard them from someone just walking up and taking them, and you also don't really want to seriously lock down military vehicles because the very last situation you want is to need to get into the vehicle in a hurry but it turns out Corporal Dumbfuck lost the keys.

I totally get that but its always funny that like a 10 year old or some poo poo can waltz over to the newest most powerful weapon in the fleet and joyride it. Funner to point out locks vs MPs shooting children trespassing etc

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Kanos posted:

The SEED gundamjacks actually work really well because both of them are accomplished by deploying what amounts to spec ops teams of super soldiers with the equipment and will to kill anyone who argues the point.

I don't even dislike the Stardust gundamjack that much, since it's extremely believable that security would get kind of lax on a postwar military base located out in the middle of loving nowhere, and Joe Private MP isn't supposed to know they're testing a giant walking treaty violation. It's not like they put the base on red alert and blared out "WE'RE LOADING THE NUKE INTO THE SECRET ILLEGAL NUKE GUNDAM, ALL SOLDIERS ON HIGH ALERT FOR THE NEXT 12 HOURS" over the loudspeakers.

Yeah, those played out pretty well. I agree.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

wdarkk posted:

Pilots in that talk to each other, right? Should be interesting to see Suletta interacting with the roster.

Every day i wake up and open palm slap

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Gaius Marius posted:

Post CCA Amuro is a ghost.

Ghost cigarette then

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

I never read the ZZ critiques before going into it. Couldn’t make it 5 eps. A year later went back after hearing it gets better after the first 18-20.

Yeah no it got better but its still rear end. Doubly so because Judau is a good character and feels wasted. The end felt like a fizzle and the only really interesting parts to me were the whole Dublin drop and Kamille being more than a vegetable.

Going from Zeta to ZZ made me think that the people who made Zeta died or something.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Begemot posted:

I tried to watch ZZ after I finished Zeta the first time, but I bounced off the first three episodes. Never went back to try it again, but I guess I should.

It's wild to think that that is the exact same experience as people who were watching at the time. There was like one recap/preview episode after the finale of Zeta and then ZZ started the next week!

If you’re a gundam fan / like the UC its worth watching but oof the part where it gets “better” is like going from a 2 to a 4.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Waffleman_ posted:

You can't really compare the 0079 compilation movies to A New Translation because they have different purposes. The 0079 movies were intended to spread the series to a wider audience in an age where you couldn't just catch a rerun or get a DVD, and A New Translation is a slight reimagining of Zeta intended for the 20th anniversary. ANT isn't meant for a new audience, it's meant for people who have already seen Zeta.

This tracks.

The only highlights of ZZ to me are Judau beating Wongs rear end and Dublin eating a colony.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Kit Bash

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Gaius Marius posted:

Chalamet is a very annoying actor. I can't wait until his fifteen minutes is up.

I kinda like him for the most part. He was enjoyable in Dune and The King and did a decent enough job in Don't Look Up that he has some range it seemed.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Nuebot posted:

I still think igloo can be fun in the "Wow, Cool Robot" sense because it's fun to watch a tank blow dudes up or watch a guy in a lovely robot go so fast he explodes. But yeah the actual narrative and story elements of the whole thing kind of blow.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

tsob posted:

I bet there's also another absolutely making GBS threads his pants in dread at the thought of cutting off the main appeal of the original show, and replacing it in the cultural milieu with a line of updated designs that doesn't actually take off and it tanks the brand because of it.

Wait you think a horrible cash grab of a series capitalizing off of previous Gundam fame will tank the brand?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Darth Walrus posted:

Judau regularly proves himself to be a top-tier Newtype. He almost fried Haman's brain once, remember?

Yeah I think half of his stuff was like he was just massively loving up other newtypes perceptions and abilities and he didn't even have to consciously think about doing it.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Darth Walrus posted:

Also seriously powerful Newtype telekinesis. At the end of the Psyco Gundam Mk. II battle, he was literally holding the ZZ together with his mind after it ran out of juice, and cut his enemy open with a literal blade of concentrated anger.

Oh drat that's right.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

haypliss posted:

They shouldn't have half-assed those Zeta movies.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

To me Newtypes seem to be the personification of hope for the future and sometimes that ends up working for the good but in other ways that almost naiveté is twisted to bad purposes.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Newtypes, je ne sais quoi

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Nessus posted:

I think Gundam ought to expand and explore the concept elsewhere, but they're going to keep loving the chicken that is the UC, you might get similar effects by either having the key antagonist of the perspective group be a Newtype when nobody else is, or by having a Newtype who for whatever reason doesn't want to open up to that part of themselves, but is being compelled to do so in order to survive, without having the reluctance turn into "oh I guess I just had to get over it."

Yazan Monogatari eh?

Could be fun.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Waffleman_ posted:

https://twitter.com/zeonicscans/status/1695108994472567089?t=M4VcjQkXBnHJZC8j_GfM5Q&s=19

Sounds like a classic case of "we wanted this to be a full series but now it's a movie"

That sounds lovely

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Gripweed posted:

You guys need to rewatch Seed, it's not bad. It's nowhere near as bad as you guys have built up in your heads.

Yeah I watched it again last year after not seeing it since release and it wasn't as terrible as I was thinking. It's not awesome or anything, militantly bland and kind of hamfisted on plot devices I guess.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Ojjeorago posted:

How dumb do you all think the new suit names are going to be? I'm hoping for Personal Freedom and Social Justice.

Gundam Accountability

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Ojjeorago posted:

A version of CCA where instead of Amuro, Hathway, and Quess in the Jeep, it's Judau and he kicks Char's rear end in that fistfight.

:hellyeah:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

I thought ZZ was terrible but I'm in the minority on that around here.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

ZZ give you a healthy dose of 10-12 year old girl nudity and makes a plot point of said girl needing to be naked in a bath to best use their powers.

It was better when it was just trying to be comedy.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

chiasaur11 posted:

Bandai is pivoting so hard to SEED and the UC

feels kinda loaded, especially for UC since they always go back to that well.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

haypliss posted:

Pivot to the development hell SEED movie that they had started to show off before Witch S2 aired, and the consistent UC film/OVA strategy they've done for over a decade.

Yeah that's kinda what I was thinking too.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

tsob posted:

That link is dead when I click it, with a Dreamhost notice that the site cannot be found.

Worked for me

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Gripweed posted:

new thread title

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Motto posted:

I don't know how many gundam podcasts there are and which is which, but they all sound bad

MSB is fairly well done imo. Good enough for listening to while i cook or do other chores. Im only just getting through 0080 in their timeline. They find enough random trivia about all sorts of things and the hosts banter is generally chill that it’s more fun than annoying.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Gaius Marius posted:

They're loving with us at this point. This is not a real product meant to be sold

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

I haven’t really seen anything released for this project yet that doesn’t look stupid

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

They just letting AI do all of this or

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Omnicrom posted:

I'm going with my initial pitch: Hisashi Hirai is actively taking the piss.

Or it is AI art. It really looks like it...

The hands are tiny and bad, I could be convinced….

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

PhoenixFlaccus posted:

Finished ZZ. Didn’t like it much by the end. Just ran out of interest in the characters, can’t put my finger on why. The shounen pandering was way heavier in this series than others I’ve seen as well; in terms of how women are treated, the deluge of unique enemy mechs, and zeta zeta being a voltron. I did like the more irreverent tone and humor and there were some fun memorable moments for sure. Just not high (at the bottom) on my list of Gundam series seen so far.

Next up: CCA then probably a UC break for IBO.

E: also til there’s a 4k HDR version of CCA released on bluray

ZZ is a mess

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

PhoenixFlaccus posted:

It’s more than that. It’s how every female character is in love with one of like 3 dudes and they conveniently get killed off when there are too many girls liking one guy as if that’s the only way for the writers to resolve it and all the teenage boys at home go “noooooo, my harem!”. They’re also often portrayed as being too emotional to handle anything rationally.

Every female character feels written to fulfill a teen boy’s fantasy in some way which isn’t a problem exclusive to this ZZ, but it did seem more omnipresent.

I completely understand that it’s a product of the times and culture, and that it was made to cater/pander to a very specific audience. Those aspects of it just haven’t aged well and brought down my enjoyment.

That and overtly sexualizing a child, repeatedly.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

haha nice

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Orga was kinda meh but he went out like a total Chad so that was good at least.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

PhoenixFlaccus posted:

Any of these Gundam games from the Bandai Namco Steam sale any good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

ninjewtsu posted:

...who is saying that?

its Fivemarks