Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

tsob posted:

Why? Max already has a wife he loves, and Cima isn't nearly as cool as her.
Obviously this is taking place during Macross 7 when they're separated, no doubt in some kind of SRW situation. Cima loses a duel with Max, but then encounters him in an entertainment center on Luna while Londo Bell is refueling... after the knife fight, they get Kai Shiden (legally a priest) to marry them. Later it is annulled and Max is inspired by his adventure in bigamy to mentor Allenby in the next entry in the series.

Obviously

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I had thought it got explained somewhere that "Newtype" had become pop slang for psychics and other weirdos, and it only got fixed as a real term when Zeon and co. were able to confirm and make use of the psychic phenomenon in question. Was that in the OG UC novels?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

blackguy32 posted:

I mean Char in Zeta actually seems like a good person, even when he outs himself, which is why most of the White Base cast tolerate him and at times hold him in high esteem. You can sort of see bits of it in the original when he isn't blinded by his pursuit of the White Base or Amuro.

But his Zeta turn is just so weird to me because he seems like a completely different person, right down to him being outclassed much of the time and often outmaneuvered tactically, which rarely happened in the OYW.
He was probably doubting himself a lot, and doubting yourself is up there with "Missing your kitty" for reasons why you can't pilot the Gundam so good.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Szmitten posted:

Isn't the thing with Nina that the male writers believed that women are unknowable so they delierately constantly wrote her doing the opposite of what would make sense or did I imagine this?
I think this is a Nina thing because Cima and the tall mechanic lady whose name eludes me were fine.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

For a moment I was like "is that a Death Stranding Zaku?" but that actually makes a lot of sense - if I'm reading the line work right the Zaku hunches down and presumably its reactor powers the hospital. You could probably have a desalinization Zaku that works the same way. A Zaku-based reclamation economy.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

iospace posted:

:wrong:

Gump, technically
He didn't start there

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I want a version of the HeavyArms Gundam that's just "Oops, All Missiles". Once it's fired off every micro-missile and bullet, all that should be remaining is panels and the inner skeleton.
Ah, the Trypophobia Gundam.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

chiasaur11 posted:

Choose BGST. Choose the EFSF. Choose Londo Bell or the ECOAS. Choose lying to your superiors. Choose to ruin your career. Choose no friends. Choose divorce. Choose life through the bottom of a bottle. Choose destroying evidence and executing innocent people because they know too loving much. Choose black fatigues and matching gas masks. Choose an Marasai stolen from the Titans loaded with G-3, with a wide range of loving attachments. Choose blazing away at mind numbing, sanity crushing things from beyond the stars, wondering whether you'd be better off just opening your helmet. Choose The King In Yellow and waking up wondering who you are. Choose a 120mm retirement plan. Choose going out with a bang at the end of it all, PGP encrypting your last message down a securely laid cable as a SNRI wetworks squad busts through your door. Choose one last Night at the Opera. Choose Southern Hospitality.
I feel like Gundam: Delta Green would go off the rails when after four or five brutal missions in which you did the necessary harsh hard man decision and waxed an orphanage full of Newtypes, Camille ran in, punched your mission contact in the guts, and pulled off the mask to reveal the actual horrid truth of

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

That commenter's soul confirmed weighed down by gravity

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Race Realists posted:

i unironically feel like 95% of Gundam's western fanbase are just AnimeNazi's at this point :v:
I kind of doubt it, I know a lot of relatively left Gundam fans, or at the least "not Nazis." I do think the online discourse gets hogged up by people who want to Sieg Zeon, and I've noticed a kind of gross subtext to a lot of it which often elides and overshadows the actual messages of the work.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I think the real keystone design for Gundam is the Zaku, weirdly enough, just because it contextualizes everything else. Stuff like the Zakrello or generic battleships would just be like "oh ok they're like Dr. Hell but it's a space army," but the Zaku (and its many descendants) put the Gundam in a relationship with the setting.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

NikkolasKing posted:

This is something I've been wondering and not sure where to ask.

How profitable is streaming? Specifically since I started watching anime on Funi's website, I haven't actually bought a DVD or bluray from them until just now when I had $20 and got a movie. But it's like...why does anyone buy anime season collections anymore when they can just stream everything on Funi's site or wherever?

So I wonder if they are actually losing money.
I think the idea is that you're converting someone who buys a $20-$40 item once a year into someone who pays $5 (or whatever) every month forever and quite possibly hardly uses it. You also remove or reduce the costs associated with making physical media and so on. This also lets you do the long tail thing - if you can get the rights it is pretty easy to make a subtitle track for an anime and put it on your site, and then it's there on your servers forever*.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Kanos posted:

My favorite detail about this relationship is that he takes her surname instead of vice versa.
Well I would too if I married loving Bayonetta

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

drrockso20 posted:

Kinda reminds me of how someone on another forum ages ago pointed out that the least realistic thing in Gundam is probably how fragile Colonies are, the reality is that a properly built space colony should basically be all but indestructible to any weapons known to man cause even at the thinnest points it's still probably at least several meters of material thick
Isn't the colony-popping thing only really in SEED and the classic UC O'Neill cylinders are indeed Ford Tough and require nuclear weapons to do more than "pop a window, start an air leak which they probably have repair equipment for"?

Also I think people overlook Macross both because it almost entirely doesn't exist in the west and because of all that girly singing poo poo :v:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Baka-nin posted:

? I wasn't talking about the federation, the pariah status was from the rest of the zeon, like you know Gato, who is clearly disgusted that he has to work with her. And nah, both versions of Mayfly make it pretty clear she's been haunted for years by what she did and has abandonment issues. The second one really makes it clear she's bitter about being treated like an outcast for years even amongst the rest of the holdouts until they need her and her crew.
You would think that they would have tried to at least push back and say "Zabis set us up," but I suppose that would be letting down Zeon edge.

drrockso20 posted:

Actually visible light is also interfered with at high enough levels, it's the whole reason Dummy Balloons work
Does this mean that all the improbable distorted space shot backgrounds and nebulas and poo poo are just diegetic light distortion because someone was moving a cargo fleet through the area?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Arcsquad12 posted:

Not necessarily a Gundam thing but something I've always wondered regarding media showing exposure to vacuum is how much damage a person might take from radiation. Would your skin get a pretty nasty burn from solar radiation over a short hop like Quess does or would you need a much more thorough time being exposed for it to appear? I'd imagine a body in vacuum for an extended period of time would look freezer burnt as they freeze and have their skin cooked.
For something like ten seconds, you might notice it later but the vacuum exposure would probably have left more of a mark. A body left in vacuum would probably eventually freeze dry, yeah. This was the plot of 3001, in fact.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Tulalip Tulips posted:

Who is the oldest effective pilot outside of Char and Amuro circa CCA? I always think of Lockon ver. 1 & 2 being fairly old by Gundam standards and I think Graham is also supposed to be in his mid-20s too at the start. Billy and Sumeragi in 00 should be in their 30s by the start of season 2 at least. I know they're not pilots but Sumeragi is definitely older than I expected for a Gundam team mom.
You kind of have to go universe to universe or else the answer is SUPER ASIA.

In UC, Yazan is pretty good and seems to have been 27 at his first appearance.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

jackhunter64 posted:

General Revil but he's played by Rodney Dangerfield
Ah, his famous speech, Zeon? Gimme a break!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Personally, I won't accept a protagonist/viewpoint character who gets more than two confirmed kills. I'll accept three if they die in the process and leave a narrative arc abruptly ended, though.

ImpAtom posted:

Naturals have undergone a period of absolute horror. Within the period of about 80 years they've seen a world war, two pandemics, a complete upending of society, and a massive ever-increasing divide between the haves and have nots which takes the form of space castles and super genes. People who then dropped no-power bombs on the Earth. That is not to say it justifies space racism but it wasn't just people being dicks but people being increasingly afraid of the wealthy motherfuckers making themselves god-kings in their space palaces and ruling the Earth through their economic control. This is of course stoked by the wealthy motherfuckers on Earth who are upset that they no longer can enjoy all the fruits of being absurdly wealthy because mommy and daddy didn't want to genetically engineer them. (i.e: Muruta Azreal's entire motivation.)
Man, SEED is pretty hosed up when you look at it like that.

That said you can do a lot of cultural adaptation in eighty years.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

O'Neill cylinders would probably be more resistant against earthnoid missile attack to begin with.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

drrockso20 posted:

As I discussed before, a properly built O'Neill colony would basically be all but immune to any weapons known to man besides really exotic stuff like a RKV or a Gamma Ray Burst, if mostly because of just how thick and durable they'd have to be built to deal with asteroids, space debris, and cosmic radiation in order to be a permanent habitat for humanity
This seems to hold up considering how you still have large intact chunks of the loving things in places where Zeon dropped them. Wouldn't it be possible to make them thick enough to endure a GRB, even? Or at least guarantee the production of Hulk Newtypes?

The unspoken profound miracle of the UC is that they built all the drat things.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I imagine it started as "We're gonna have a couple guys hang with you in case Zeon hard cases try to take you out" and eventually Amuro figured out it wasn't really that at all.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

zeon had a bunch of huge advantages they pissed away on boondoggles and amuro. their initial success was due to a combination of invalidating all the good federation weapons technology with minovsky particles and then introducing mobile suits which were perfectly suited for this new environment. zeon might have been able to raze all federation forces from the earth, but instead they tried to conquer and occupy territory. that's something their tech advantage would never be able to accomplish.
Yeah, if they'd put their dick in their pants and said "space is free, also we run all the major spaceports" they would have likely been able to get it, but well, the mindset that wants to conquer Earth wants to conquer Earth.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

If they wanted to keep milking the UC cow, some kind of attempt to use Newtype-powered time divers to revisit and try to prevent/ameliorate the One Year War would be pretty internally consistent. The Earth Federation that managed to build hundreds of enormous, mostly-autonomous space colonies was probably worth saving, even if the tired old dog wasn't.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

dogsicle posted:

G is one of those things where because it has like 20 years of very broad fandom the outside impression of it gets warped by endlessly repeated memes/jokes that kind of obfuscate the show's qualities and its appeal. though tbh it's not like G is hiding some deep substance, it's really just a wuxia shonen with gundams and has the sort of mixed quality you might expect of a semi-episodic tournament show. but its also important for being the first AU and a wild departure from GUNDAM even as it plays a tiny bit with the expected themes.

visually, they retained a lot of the Victory staff so you have the same flat low-shading look with simple designs. my feeling on this during an ongoing rewatch is there's a bit to be desired with the combat, especially since it's basically hand-to-hand...but between Imagawa having some preference for high impact stills and TV production constraints it doesn't get to live up to the promise of that often. Victory definitely had it easier because Tomino was thinking up all sorts of insane combat ideas that are easier to execute since you don't have the robots needing to wrestle about in close proximity as if they truly were people.
How do they like G Gundam in Japan? I know out here it is in this weird rhetorical nerd space which is kind of halfway independent of the show itself, but how well did it do back there?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Gripweed posted:

The feet aren't broad, they're the regular width of a Gundam foot. And I have never seen an animal that has feet that are like normal feet but with an extra foot sticking out the back
You mean like, birds?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

MechaX posted:

This ties into the question I ask myself sometimes when this comes up; if Kamille wasn’t brain fried and if Haman and Axis didn’t just... leave like in the Zeta movies, would Char have come back to the Argama?
Chargama.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Didn't minovsky particles also gently caress up EM communication in various forms? Or was that just if you deliberately goosed your reactor to do it? I was never sure if that was a retcon or if it was in there from the beginning, but it does a fair bit to let the UC still work as science marches on, even if as a retro-future: "you can't have ubiquitious mobile wireless networking or whatever because it's incompatible with the dirt-cheap totally clean energy."

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Stairmaster posted:

realistically tactical nuclear weapons should be abundant in the post minovsky world.
In space, probably, but in space they also wouldn't be that dramatic. I also imagine there was probably some cultural flinch on the part of the creators away from using them. Weren't the "reflex" weapons in Macross meant to be mini-nukes?

e: clarified who it was who didn't want nukes

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

tsob posted:

The reaction missiles were originally meant to be nuclear weapons apparently, yeah. They morphed in to being a substitute for anti-matter weapons at some point over the years too, I think. Mind you, if Minovsky reactors create a clean nuclear reaction, then shouldn't they be able to create nuclear missiles that have no fallout?
It is entirely possible to make a nuclear weapon that doesn't leave a ton of fallout, especially if you use it in space. (Indeed what makes the fallout is usually the irradiation of soil and dirt etc. rather than stuff intrinsic to the weapon.) However, from a dramatic perspective, if you've created a nuclear weapon that leaves no long-term traces or lingering damage, at least not enough to be dramatically consequential... why not call it something other than "a nuclear weapon"

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Is that the one to go into some complex aside about how Newtypes are crippled mutants worthy only of scorn and pity, or do I just hang out with weird people who cannot stop being mad about Gundam in eccentric ways?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Burns posted:

The whole Newtype thing is probably the worst part of UC gundam.
It gets stupid later but I think the underlying idea of reaching towards a future of communication and understanding is important to the recipe, so to speak; without it, you basically just have Mil-SF Setting #79.

Newtypes also justify the ultimate truth of the entire franchise, at least in UC's setting. What they ought to do is try and start some kind of UC2 or UC Cinematic Universe since they've kind of thoroughly plowed out the timeline.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Cima is loving rad and I wish they'd built an entire series around her.

On the Tem Ray circuit, in Alpha it made the stats of a unit go down like 10% but also meant you didn't have to pay to repair it if it got shot down. Or maybe it was some token amount, like 50 money. The power move was to equip it on EVA-01 because EVA-01's berserker mode was extremely strong, but Evangelions cost like six trillion bucks to fix.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

tsob posted:

Cima is a good idea on paper, but not in execution. I don't even mean the fact that a lot of her character development is in the radio dramas either, because even when including that she's still a kind of bipolar character who is supposed to represent those that turned on Zeon, given that she seems really gung-ho about Zeon even by the time of Solomon 10 months or so after she was fooled in to gassing a colony, and frankly, even in 0083 itself she seems absolutey fine with Zeon almost all the way until the end. There's a scene about half way through the show where she visits Anaheim's moon facility and threatens the guy who meets her that she'll drop a colony on them if they ever give her a poo poo berth again. Which, putting aside the bad taste of that joke, is not one she had to make to keep up any kind of identity since she was just dealing with an AE employee in a situation where she only got upset due to her own personal snobbishness. It paints her as someone still heavily invested in Zeon.

Cima is a great idea as someone who got burned by her faith in Zeon and turned on them due to the atrocities they commit in the name of idealism, placing reality above those ideals. That's not the version that we got though, no matter where you take your information on her. As is though, she's all style and no substance. Which defines 0083 itself, really.
Yeah, she's an rear end in a top hat, she's a character with agency, she has style. This would be a different show than the usual, but she had as much cause for revengeance as Char, at least, and that dude got to drop an asteroid and date teenagers!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

If Gato hadn't gone buck wild, Bask Om would have been the savior of Earth! Probably literally! Put that in your pipe and smoke it, Kamille!

e: I mean like the actual one, the Solar System 2 would have presumably actually taken out the incoming colony.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Stairmaster posted:

Ispeaking of pilot competency it's weird char hasn't gotten an actual moment to dunk on some fools
Mrs. Zabi, thank you for posting in our forums, but you may want to look towards the hangar.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Here's the real question: Amuro vs. Haman, who would win?

Like before they obviously come to suddenly understand each other and turn around to drop Char into the Spanish announcer's table.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Randallteal posted:

Well Judau beat Haman straight up at the end, so probably Amuro. Also I just looked up Judau on the wiki. He's supposed to be 14 in ZZ? It makes sense that he's more mature than Amuro and Kamille still since he grew up in the slums looking after his sister, but that still seems ridic. Really makes Bright look like even more of a scumbag for using him as a pilot in the first place (after dumping off poor Kamille and hosing out the Zeta Gundam) and then sending the kids off to attack Neo Zeon while he hung back with the fleet at the end.
I am now imagining a scene where Bright freaks. 'He was WHAT?? I thought he was at least sixteen! gently caress, I sound like Char.'

Like Bright has seen the payoff for letting hotheaded young men pilot the Gundam.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

MechaX posted:

Real talk does Max Jenius lose any match up ever?
Looked like he lost pretty bad in divorce court

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

tsob posted:

Am I supposed to be ashamed I find these kinds of arguments interesting or fun, just because you (and several others, obviously) don't?
No, Kamille, just work in some jokes or something