Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Zaphod42 posted:

Well clearly women are allowed in or else they wouldn't be there? :v: And if the children are going to be taken out of the compound, somebody has to take them and watch over them.

I thought it was a bit odd that an earlier poster said "unarmed women and children" like every single one of the women were unarmed, I'm pretty sure there's gonna be at least one of em who likes to hold guns too.

But especially with this kinda right-wing conservative crowd I can see the men being like "okay you ladies see to the children while we fight the good fight" and send them away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Dillbag posted:

Please use the correct version of this jiff in the future.

:colbert:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I wonder how other countries' mass shootings look when the goal posts are moved to the same places.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Subjunctive posted:

I didn't think vaping produced smoke. Isn't it like fog machines, like you say, and just suspended particulate?

I think that when it gets overclocked or whatever ("moar ohems") that it becomes smoke.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Nitrox posted:

Do we know that it's a roof and not another floor up above? Are we taking our info from imgur comment?

I'm p.sure that they were trying to do foundation repair using architectomancy and rolled a critical 1 on the dimension door spell.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Confident, even.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Indolent Bastard posted:

Yes "Microsoft". We used to get a call from MS tech support every few days about the virus on our computer that they have detected and want to help us with. After my wife would berate the scammer by telling them repeatedly that they were a shame on their family they actually gave up after a few months. gently caress those assholes, I can't imagine how many confused elderly people fall for that poo poo and get scammed. I don't care how bad your job prospects are that is thievery and they can gently caress right off.

If I have time I like to back them into a corner so they have to admit that they're scammers or hang up on me.

"Your device has a virus."

"Oh really? Which device?"

"The one with Windows operating system, just give us..."

"You'll need to be more specific. I have 5 systems with Windows, and three different versions."

"Oh well it'll be the uh ... uh.... (click)"

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

mostlygray posted:

My staff, when I was a warehouse manager, was told repeatedly, "You must not wear open toed shoes in the warehouse!" We enforced this religiously. We sent people home if they thought they could wear sandals in my warehouse.

The man came in one time when I wasn't there and set about a thousand pounds down on his foot while wearing sandals. He didn't lose any toes, but he crushed them pretty badly. Fortunately, wood pallets are forgiving. People need to learn to refuse to do something if it's not safe. Just say no.

To refer to the above, he never did it again.

I cooked at a resort where the servers had the habit of doing their work in flip flops. I told them over and again, every time I saw them, to not work in a kitchen while wearing flip flops. Then one day there was a broken plate and one of the dumb servers in flip flops cut her foot on a piece of the broken plate and had to get flown out to get stitches.

Somehow this was my fault.

jesus christ that was a lovely job.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

BiggerBoat posted:

Who the gently caress wears flip flops to work of any sort?

Dummies.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

radiatinglines posted:

I think maybe the thread just needs to collectively take a chill pill and chill out.

:ducksiren: big pharma shill :frogsiren:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

mds2 posted:

Oh poo poo, was this tonight? Any more gifs of it?

That was pretty much the whole fight. They just got tired and kept falling over. You either need to watch the whole thing or be satisfied with the one gif.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Coin collectors and values aside, the same "don't loving try to make it better, idiot" principles apply to the handling any historical artifact. Archivists, archeologists, curators, and professional restoration experts have extremely complex ethical codes and procedureal guidelines for handling, cleaning, and "improving" old things of historical significance. EG if you find an old print book in a ratty brown falling-apart leather cover, with the stitching coming out, don't take it to a book binder and have a new cover put on it with new stitching. The people who are interested in such things are interested in every feature of the item, and want to preserve everything. Some of the ignorant poo poo I've seen done to old books in the name of "improving" them is loving madness.

If you want to get an earful, phone up an archaeologist and say "hey I found this neat thing in the ground, want to see it? Oh I've already scrubbed it with a good brush and soap and water for you, and put a new handle on it. And I threw out all of the rotten leather. It's perfect and ready for you to study!"

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Tiggum posted:

Yeah, objects don't "have history", history is not a property of matter. Some people just arbitrarily decide that a thing is worth more money because it's old. Genuine old things are not inherently more valuable than identical reproductions, unless you mean to historians who can learn something from them. But most things that are valuable because they're old are not useful for learning anything, they're just old. Like, no one's upset because that coin could have been studied to learn something about the past, it was just an old coin. You could make a new one and it would be just as good (except in the minds of people who attach arbitrary value to old things).

Objects certainly have history if you know where to look for it. In the case of something like an undamaged coin, the object can tell quite a bit about minting processes in the period in a way that we can't from one that is more worn and in circulation - maybe they can figure out something about the minting die in use then? Granted, in this case it's unlikely that the coin can tell us anything that we don't already know, but there are lots of cool and creative scholars who have made careers out of figuring out how objects can speak to us in ways that aren't immediately obvious.

I once saw a guy give a two-hour talk on how he was able to determine the production order a bunch of 15th century books by the same printer by looking at un-inked text impressions on blank pages (and there were lots of implications of that order for understanding how the print industry worked in that time and place). But in the 19th century, people had literally been cutting those kinds of blank pages out of books and throwing out the empty pages because they were rebinding and "restoring" the "damaged" texts. They had no idea that useful information was contained in those seemingly empty surfaces. It's the exact logic that led this doufus to his decisions.

And we never know what kinds of cool methods technology and ingenuity will offer to us in the future, either. This is why scholars/antiques roadshow always beg laypeople to not restore or fix anything - because once information like that is destroyed, we can't get it back. Honestly, the guy's $200,000 is the smallest shame in the whole situation. I'm glad that an idiot like him took the blow in the wallet. He should be fined another $200,000 on top of it for the damage he has done.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Tiggum posted:

And I specifically addressed this point in the post you quoted and replied to. :shrug:

:shrug: I saw it in there, but it seemed to me as if the throwaway assertion was that it only matters if a researcher actually possesses the object.

Either way, have a good day friend.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Murphy Brownback posted:

It doesn't detract from the main point, but people keep calling those "steaks" as if it's some fancy meal, when it says right there next to the pic it was a chuck roast which is very cheap (relative to steak). The mid/top-shelf liquor and wine are definitely luxuries though and she deserves all the criticism she is getting for those. I guess she's getting a couple grand out of this from gullible internet people but i would think most peoples' dignity/reputation is worth a lot more than that.

That this is a Yelp employee caught up in a reputation-damaging drama including unverifiable rumours and heresay is like five levels of :ironicat:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

speshl guy posted:

For people who don't understand the coin schad, that coin collector made a very similar mistake to that of a monk that erased the only surviving copy of Archimedes' "The Method" so that he could print a book of prayers on it, because he didn't understand the significance of a text that outlined the heart of calculus thousands of years before Newton and Leibniz came along. But lol stupid nerds with their historical preservation standards

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/prayer-archimedes

Neat! But I don't like the article's assertion that it was because the monk scribe "didn't understand the significance" or whatever that it was overcopied. That sounds like a reddit atheism "The Chart"-style strawman. Medieval libraries were aggressively protective of their texts, and most of what we still possess of Greek and Latin texts owes to that diligence. The person who did the erasure likely did so because there at the time had been another copy of the book laying around, or the scribe was at least under that impression....

Scraping and overwriting was relatively commonplace because parchment is expensive as gently caress.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archimedes_Palimpsest
http://archimedespalimpsest.org/about/

This is a really interesting topic. It seems that the erasure happened in Jerusalem, which is where the book. I'm really disappointed that none of these sites I'm finding gives more information on the overwritten "liturgical" text. The overwritten text is in Byzantine Greek, which means that the scribe (almost) certainly could have read the source text, and it's likely that the scribe would understand its significance, as Archimedes was studied in Constantinople... the Euchologion on top is (according to that really bad site linked above) also of interest and significance, but I can't find anything clarifying its contents in anything more specific than "Byzantine religious text" and "Church of Jerusalem", which isn't enough to make me figure out why the scribes would have been so desperate for parchment as to slice, scrape, and reassemble a folio codex from no fewer than seven Byzantine textbooks....

Ok this is a rabbit hole for me. I'll just stop and say that literally everything about this book is why nobody should ever restore anything. In 1900 nobody dreamed that those old pages could once again reveal their hidden Greek texts.

kazil posted:

Yes, a guy devaluing a coin that would have been in a rich man's collection is exactly the same situation.

The point is that at one point that codex would have been called "A mouldy old religious book that would just been in some rich man's collection."

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Centripetal Horse posted:

Sorry about the lovely watermark. Go watch the video. The way the old man slips the kid's punch while he's got the kid backed into the corner is pretty phenomenal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkenYHDfpOc

Correction - the best part of that video is the old man's sweatter.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

grumplestiltzkin posted:

Yeah, those $80 laptops are just falling from the sky, right? Gaming computers can be built pretty cheaply these days, especially if you're running something as simple as mobas. Hell, my lovely first computer that I had literally a decade ago that literally did not have a graphics card ran cs1.6 just fine, and as we've seen, there's still a pro scene for that. The only time computers are expensive is if you're some mondo retard who absolutely must crank up every single setting possible on every AAA game that gets released.

This derail is dumb but I also often ask the "PC gaming is more expensive than consoles" crowd how much they paid for their systems, and they're shocked to find out that for the cost of a PS4 + basics you can get a perfectly solid gaming computer with a proper graphics card and literally infinity games. And then I remind them that they need a TV, too. One guy went "oh gently caress my TV cost $1700..." when I asked him that.

Suddenly PC gaming is much cheaper.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

http://i.imgur.com/Ugz5Ut4.gifv

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Astrobastard posted:

Same boat as me. After watching his vids a good 6 months or so ago I ordered Southord Lockpicking sets and transparent acrylic Practice locks from Massdrop.com and now I've picked every lock in my apartment and helped a friend get back into his apartment after locking himself out. poo poo is fun and also scary how easy it is sometimes

This post made me order a lock picking set.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

mobby_6kl posted:

I unlocked my mailbox and a lovely padlock with a pair of paperclips when I lost my keys. So really even the kit is quite optional.

I know. I've defeated locks many times in the past. I just like the idea of having special-made tools, particularly the ones that the dude uses for turning the locks.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Do we need to start a lockpicking thread?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Floreda Mom

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I like this one because the dude obviously thinks his opponent has no power, but those first strikes failed to hurt because they were at the wrong range and badly thrown, not because he's a weak puncher.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

KawaiiAtomicBombs posted:

That sounds like an absolute disaster

Don't touch the poop.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I once AM/PMed a flight. Yes, the airport used a 24 clock, but it got misfiled in my head and there were actually flights at both 630 AM and 630 PM to the same destination. Cost me $150 to rebook.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

zakharov posted:

I kinda want to email him and tell him about autobanning just to put him out of his, uh, misery.

People have told him about it.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Kurieg posted:

He sounds awfully butthurt for someone who says repeatedly that Goonswarm isn't getting to him.

.....can we somehow super-ban this rear end in a top hat? Cause he also doesn't "get" tact or good taste.

He's trying to get his account deleted. He needs to have his account set up to be impossible to ban.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Helicopter mom decides to help her son's army career along and pesters a Facebook returned servicemen page admin for advice

http://imgur.com/gallery/nWSQe

Sample:

http://www.theonion.com/article/clinton-deploys-very-special-forces-to-iraq-645

Yeah. STDH.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Tony Phillips posted:

Buzz sure did provide proof of him attacking the other guy unprovoked

The guy was yelling in an old man's face and....

:fuckoff:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The gun safety posters aren't talking to you. They're talking to the people in the pictures.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Yeah as soon as I started to read the story I was like "stdh.txt"

I also like that he's one of those youtube "pranksters"

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Measly Twerp posted:

Seems to be quite a few frames missing before the robot 'catches' the ball, so yeah...

Or you can just look at the completely motionless and unresponsive manequins on the computers in the background.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

syscall girl posted:

Here's the thing, uh whoa lost my train of thought, if my supporters, all good people good folks with strong values and ecumenical good sense. If all of those people come together our collective brain diseases from prion accumulation, I feel very strongly on this issue, can do good in a way that on the surface layer will look very bad, to anyone not writhing in senility but that's who I am and my base and if you would just look at my political record, which as a servant of the public, I have never been or had, although I've been groomed (and have groomed) several young women and myself into the fields of commercial real estate and swimsuit contests and should be trusted improbably.

:ortiz:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Sagebrush posted:

"I want to play a competitive game of skill, but I need it to carry the possibility of financial ruin!"

Poker is a risk management game.

:shrug:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Improbable Lobster posted:

Generations are and always have been marketing demographics and a way to complain about kids these days.

And arguing about them and their definitions is dumb as poo poo.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Enrique gets paid 100k/year.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I was born in 1981 and every two years, like clockwork, I am reassigned to a newly-designated generation. Off the top of my head I have been told that I am Gen X, Gen Y, Millenial, "The Internet Generation," and a bunch of others that just go in oue ear and out the other. Basically these labels are bullshit and not descriptive in any useful way.

The only significant generational marker I have found that may actually separate "millenials" from the X/Y older group, at least in the West, is exposure to Pokemon as a kid/teen. I don't know a goddamn thing about Pokemon. I don't care about it, and I don't get it. It didn't exist when I was anywhere near its original target demographic. I don't even really care that you know that I don't care about it. I only bring it up because there are people who are only 2-3 years younger than me who insist that Pokemon was literally everywhere when they were growing up, and even if they didn't themselves have any interest, it was unavoidable in that way of really big trends.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Chichevache posted:

Games Workshop has literally copyrighted "Space Marine" and they defend it like mad. Have fun trying to get around their legal division, it's apparently the only competent department in that whole stupid company.

Which is a shame, because the lore is pretty great. Grimdark badassery in the 40K universe is a lot of fun, if you're not interacting with the dweebs that take it too seriously.

:hfive:

Which is funny, because the term "Space Marine" gets dumber the more that you think about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

NeurosisHead posted:

We had two police shootings in Des Moines last night. Generally upper middle class suburb, mostly caucasian. Someone ambushed two offices sitting in their squad cars, and shot them. The local news posts about it all immediately turned into gently caress BLACK LIVES MATTER BLUE LIVES MATTER THOSE BLACKS ARE BARBARIANS.

He's a confederate flag waving white guy.

HERITAGE NOT HATE

<waves flag furiously while frothing about black people>