Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Danger posted:

This but the emperor. Luckily we had the prequels to solve that issue, right?

The Emperor doesn't need any backstory though because it's not important, ANH builds this universe of "The Empire are the Space Nazis and control everything." You don't need to give a poo poo about how they came to power because we don't know anything before then (until he prequels came into being and ruined that). You just accept it. The problem with the new trilogy is that ROTJ establishes that the Empire is destroyed and done with, yet this crippled Dark Jedi re-establishes the Empire somehow and makes it even larger and more powerful than before? That's a whole lot of bullshit the audience has to just accept. It doesn't work at all.

This also points the problem with Rogue One, because no one gives a poo poo about how anyone got the plans to the Death Star.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Despera posted:

This

"How did the empire of roj become the mega powerful one of the tfa?" This random force god! Who is he? Just some random guy!

That's good writing for ya!

zandert33 posted:

One of the big themes of the movie is letting the past die. Snoke's character solely exists as a stereotype of the most sith-est sith that ever sithed just to be completely destroyed. The movie is trying to shove in our face the fact that ideas of the Jedi and the Sith are done now, they gave us a cartoon Sith to clearly show us that it's over.

So they show us that the Jedi and Sith are done now by replacing the worst Sith in the series history with a giant crybaby Sith and the now mopey old Jedi with Rey who's really dull? Uhhhh.... what?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Bottom Liner posted:

Who else could they possibly be to have any story significance and make sense?

They should have just made it so she didn't care who her parents were because it literally does not matter, but no, we get a dumbshit character that can't stop crying about her stupid parents that didn't care about her and she's holding out that they'll return to her lovely slave planet after two god drat decades. And the whole "payoff" is, hey, your parents weren't poo poo. The films spend too much time with this stuff reinforcing her dumb "I want my mommy and daddy!" plight. gently caress off with this.

Luke wasn't a crybaby bitch about his parents, he just knew he was an orphan and wanted a life more than what Tatooine has to offer. Even when Luke asks Leia about their mother, they don't go on about it, "I kinda remember her, she was sad or something." And leave it at that, it's quick and effective in letting you know all you need to.

I can't wait to see the loving mess Trevorrow is going to pinch from his rear end in a top hat with the next one.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Bottom Liner posted:

:lol: tell us more about how you hate that a woman is the lead role in Star Wars

It literally has nothing to do with Rey being the lead or female; if any other character's driving force was as lovely as hers to get their parents back they would have been just as bad. It's not even that her motivation sucks, but so much of her dialogue and character building in the first half of TFA is "Gotta get back to Jakku, it's been 20 years but my fam is comin' back! Just you wait!" None of the characters really care about her family or even ask about them, why should the audience? And in the end Kylo ends it with "lol, they ain't poo poo. They're also dead by the way. Heh" The problem with it is there's way too much screen time is devoted to her talking about it and building her character around it and it comes ends with a wet fart. Considering both films are bloated, they could have trimmed this stuff and it would be all the better for it.

Chill Penguin posted:

It is awesome that Star Wars Kid (Ghyslain Raza) is canon now

lol, no one knows the power of the golf ball retriever.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

emanresu tnuocca posted:

This series was originally about good vs. bad, then it became reason and freedom vs. emotion and tyranny. Now it's old vs. new for some reason.

It should have stuck with good vs. bad.

This is a good post.

Milky Moor posted:

You imply that TLJ is the same setup as the Battle of Endor

It is, in that it should be wiped out of your memory because it's loving terrible.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

moolchaba posted:

Leia is a stroke victim mushmouthing all her lines (she probably did a couple lines before each take :rimshot: ).

If nothing the film being created just so this post can exist makes it worth it, holy poo poo lol

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

SeANMcBAY posted:

After sitting on it for a few days, I think I love it. I still had some issues like it was too long but I think it was what Star Wars needed. I just hope JJ doesn’t gently caress up Episode 9.

Last Jedi is the Majora’s Mask/Sons of Liberty of Star Wars.

Majora's Mask is good though, so the comparison doesn't hold up. Majora's Mask like TLJ, took risks and turned things on it's head, but that's where the similarities end since Majora's Mask is still a good game with great characters, moments and isn't a bloated mess. TLJ is a terrible film with poor pacing, characters, story, an over reliance on visuals, rehashes a ton of poo poo AND is way too long and becomes tiresome to finish.

So yeah, it's more like Sons of Liberty, which is trash.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Wippersnapper posted:

Also that fight after Snoke died was wonderful.

It was everything that was wrong with every lightsaber battle in the prequels, overly choreographed dances.

Lightsabers were just a tool in the OT that people used to whack stuff with and kill dudes, not worrying about looking like an anime character with dramatized ballet movements, spinning lightsabers and twirly dodges.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Martman posted:

In the OT, light sabers are used for showmanship. They wield them like samurai in some of the most slow and dramatized fight scenes ever made. Anakin in AotC and RotS is actually the one who uses light sabers as "tools to whack stuff with." He takes out bug dudes and droids like he's swinging a baseball bat, and will grab a second saber and pop off a dude's head like it's no big deal.

They literally aren't in the OT, the prequels changed it all. Vader and Obi-Wan look like clumsy fools fighting and Luke spends most of the OT just breaking stuff and wailing (or trying to in ESB) on Vader.

TFA was really good with the lightsaber battle with Rey/Finn/Kylo, they're just trying to beat the poo poo out of each other, then it all changes in TLJ with Rey practicing her twirls and spins on Isla de Luke and then having a massive multi-person battle with Kylo we're they're back to back and supporting each other's weight. Didn't they also use slow motion? lol

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Martman posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sq51w34Hg9I
Pictured: some guys just using some tools.

Darth Maul likes to do a bunch of flips for no reason, yes... and he gets owned because of it.

Darth Maul, Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon, Yoda, Anakin, Dooku, Grievous, literally anyone that uses a lightsaber in the prequels constantly jumps off of walls, 20 feet into the air and twirls them around to make colorful lightshows for braindead idiots.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Crion posted:

It's pretty clearly the sight gag involving the laundry press, right?

Definitely.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

euphronius posted:

What is it with goons and wet farts.

It's this thing, called an analogy, used to express the lack of one's satisfaction with a subject and it's execution by likening it to an embarrassing and disgusting bodily function that doesn't even have the bombast and comedic qualities of a standard, ie "dry," fart. Welcome to a comedy forum!

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Vegetable posted:

I did an actual laugh-out-loud when Ren's little lightsaber trick to kill Snoke worked. It was played as serious but come on that poo poo is goofy.

There's no way that the old man who's describing in detail how his subordinate is going to kill a woman while sounding like he's tending to his erection and on the verge of cumming himself isn't anything but goofy. Good thing said old man isn't really strong with the force to feel an object moving right next to him.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

thrawn527 posted:

He didn't notice the object moving right next to him because he was focusing on Kylo's thoughts, and assuming he was interpreting them correctly, because it seems Kylo was focusing his thoughts on things that can be misinterpreted (Kylo killing turning his lightsaber in order to kill his one true enemy, or however Snoke said it). I thought it was actually one of the more clever parts of the movie.

Snoke's shown to be super powerful with the force, so much that he can link people's loving brains across the god drat galaxy in a long distance skype call where they can literally see and touch each other, and transmit loving physical matter over their call. He lifts and ragdolls people more than anyone else in the series as well. So when he jumps into Kylo's mind to read his thoughts he can't figure out that he's doing two things at once nor can he feel the literal object inches from his hand moving? Hahahahahahaha.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

AndyElusive posted:

You're giving Snoke more credit than he deserves I think. You're assuming that because he's shown incredible aptitude in manipulating the dark side that he's able to keenly be aware of his surroundings while simultaneously being inside Ben's mind, restraining Rey and taunting all at once.

poo poo man, I mean he's shown to be pretty powerful but even Palpatine couldn't stop Vader from tossing him. All Kylo did was punk him with a 90 degree turn of the handle and a flick of a lightsaber switch.

Snoke's done more things with the Force than anyone else has in the whole series, from what we see he's probably the most powerful user of the force that there's ever been, I blame this on power creep which ruins everything. The problem is once you show a character as strong as Snoke it's hard to believe he'd succumb to something so incredibly obvious considering the audience can see it coming from a mile away. The dude bridges mind gaps, makes people fly like superman (even at long distance with Hux), has the force lightning of the Emperor, and can transmit physical matter across spacetime; I still find it hard to believe he'd die the way he did. I don't even care that he died but it could have been an opportunity to show another side of him or something and flesh him a bit out and not having him be a Copy/Paste of the Emperor, have Rey and Kylo team up against him and show us that he can't handle two young and powerful Jedi because he's so old an decrepit. Or just don't make him so god drat strong in the first place. It would have been nice to have some flushed out characters in this film but nope, let's just load it up with throwaway characters because they're all gonna die anyway! Yay!

The Emperor did retaliate against Vader as soon as he lifted him up, which killed him in the process. The Emperor also is never shown to be as powerful force user as Snoke is either. Luke could have literally done the same thing to the Emperor but it's lazy as poo poo and would have been disappointing. Visually it's great seeing Snoke fall apart in half a la Darth Maul but there's no weight to it, but it also doesn't help that there's no character or story behind Snoke, he's just a lovely CGI troll from LOTR that wants to be Kylo's pimp forever.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Tender Bender posted:

People using the force as a tool and a weapon for their own ends but not actually being in tune with it, the galaxy, or with the people around them is a major element of this franchise. Its hammered home again and again. It's how the Emperor was defeated, not because Vader used the Lift Old Man power against him. Luke couldn't have done that, it would not have fit in-universe and would have missed the main theme of the entire trilogy. That you think it would have been better for Rey and Kylo to just beat Snoke in a fight by being more powerful is baffling.

They do the same thing against the Royal Guards v.2 and they only have slightly less character than Snoke.

There could have been tons of ways to take it, I was just listing one. The Emperor being defeated served as redemption for Vader via his own sacrifice, there was depth there culminating in the end of Luke and Vader's story lines while severing the head of the Empire and bringing an end to it (but lol not really it just came back for this trilogy without explanation!) The death of Snoke just reinforced that Kylo Ren is... drum roll please... bad! To no one's surprise, Kylo Ren seemingly has a change of heart only to become even more eviler than before! Remember when he did this exact same thing in TFA when he killed his father?

The whole scene is just an exact retread of Return of the Jedi with no payoff because it happens in the middle of the film and they still need to tack on another 45 minutes to the already overly long film and keep a villain because, welp, this is a trilogy.

Everyone keeps praising this film for "throwing out the old" and doing risky poo poo but the more you think about it you realize it's just the same poo poo as all of the other films with little to nothing new about it.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Hobo Clown posted:

I hope he goes full Joker in Arkham Knight, just randomly appearing and constantly loving with him.

I'd be down for this.

Waffles Inc. posted:

The throne room scene in this movie is an alternate reality take where Vader kills the Emperor in RotJ

In TFA Kyle tells Vader he'll finish what he started. And he does.

You mean when he does and when he throws him down the shaft? That alternate reality?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Crion posted:

Given the sequels' dedication to breakneck pacing and everything being immediate and tense, the first two movies take place over the course of...what? 72 hours? Is there a time-jump at the end of TFA between when Rey goes looking for Luke and when she finds him?

Nope, unless they've been standing there for weeks.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Tender Bender posted:

Kylo killing Snoke is not the same as Kylo killing his father. It's not a sign of him seemingly having a change of heart, or showing that he's More Evil. It's a significant development for his character, it's just not the one you're looking for.

I think the problem is you're viewing Kylo as an obstacle for the heroes, and not as one of the main characters in this series with his own conflicts and temptations.

So what character development does it show?

Also, he's both of those things much like Vader was.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Mr. Flunchy posted:

I can't believe I'm being given a lesson in feminism by a man who fucks a lifesize rubber woman doll.

At least the thread was interesting before, this is just bad. RIP thread, it had a good run.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Sinding Johansson posted:

So instead of kids playing with storm trooper dolls they play with luke skywalker dolls, and this is threatening to the financiers of the first order - doll manufacturers?

At least they're playing with Jedi dolls and not real dolls! :suicide:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Fart City posted:

Why does it matter how the bombers work? It was a clear homage to the World War II aesthetics that inspired Lucas in the original trilogy. And in a universe of contained laser beam swords and outright ghosts, whose to say anything needs to operate by real-world laws of physics?

I'm not trying to be facetious or be a dick here, I'm genuinely curious as to why this is a hold up for some people.

Most of the Physics in Star Wars don't really hold up, I mean, check out the Death Star's gravity, it's side-ways. The hangers on the Death Star are perpendicular to the planet's surface so everything would just fall into the back of the hanger while it's being pulled to the center of the Death Star. It doesn't really matter because it looks cool having the giant side-window that looks into space rather than just a black sky above.

The bombs were just really goofy though because you have no clue what the gently caress is propelling them when they literally could have just shot them via rubber bands to give us some sort of motion. But they don't, they just "drop" when they shouldn't, and not only that, the pilot has no ill effects from being in the open vacuum of space without any protective gear, ok, maybe space isn't dangerous in Star Wars now? But then we see Leia crystalizing as you would if you were in space unprotected so what's with the inconsistency?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

BardoTheConsumer posted:

Am I the only one who would be totally okay with that happening so long as it was canonically isolated from the rest of the franchise?

I'm game, with all of the bloat that the Marvel stuff has with characters in every film (Infinity War looks like each character will have about 30 seconds of screen time and still make the 2 hour mark), they should just start crossovers and go balls out.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Mr. Flunchy posted:

I pretty much understood the Emperor's ambitions in ROTJ were to trade up from clunky old burnt up Darth Vader to sexy new prettyboy Luke. Vader's tragedy is that he only realises at the last minute that the Emperor no longer has the hots for him.

Vader knows he's being replaced though, he only has a change of heart when he sees his son being murdered.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Ferrinus posted:

I really would like to know what Ren wants to use the First Order to, like, do.

Controlling the Galaxy doesn't seem to be it, he wanted the Lightsaber/Luke and get revenge, but now that that poo poo's over with he's just the leader of the Not-Empire and I guess he's going to want to destroy the Not-Rebellion and rule the Galaxy because there's nothing left to do with him.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Right, so what's his motivation now? The same poo poo we've seen before?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Shooting the phone after saying "fine, how are you" seems like like a thousand times more wacky and outlandish over the top guardians of the galaxy stuff than pretending you have a bad hyperspace communications line.

Nope.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

AndyElusive posted:

Star Wars is NO PLACE for mom jokes. :colbert:

Not in TYOOL 2017 is a "yo' momma" joke good outside of Star Wars.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Ferrinus posted:

We’re shown Rey on the ship and, later, off the ship, demonstrating for us that she found a way off the ship. Since Kylo wakes up and she’s not visible, we can conclude that she fled without his knowledge. The ship he wakes up on is a half-shredded wreck, implying that the security and order that would have normally blocked Rey’s escape was then hampered. Later still we see that she’s taken the broken saber with her.

Isn't she randomly on the Falcon after that? Like... within a short span she evacuated Snoke's ship and then met up with the Falcon and climbed aboard?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

BarronsArtGallery posted:

Chewie went and picked her up. Are you upset because we didn't get to see this?

Chewie went back to the giant space battle to pick her up from the biggest baddest ship in the universe? I guess he just happened to turn around after his hyperspeed and wait out the big bad battle? lol

I mean, I get it, she mad an escape but it literally would have taken a 10 second scene to give us an idea how it happens. Imagine any other Star Wars film but they never show anyone get on a ship or mention an escape plan. The group in ANH turns off the tractor beam and is just seen flying away, Boba Fett isn't seen taking Solo away, etc. It ruins the cohesion and feels disjointed as all gently caress when you just have to imply these things especially when none of the characters say anything about it either. Nope, just have the character disappear.

In a film that's two and a half hours long there shouldn't be a god drat thing that's "implied" because you have enough time to show loving everything. In a film that's so poorly paced yet somehow bloated as all poo poo like TLJ it's astonishing these tiny things are everywhere.

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Showing Chewie picking her up would spoil the surprise of the Millennium Falcon turning up in the Crait scenes, so I'm not surprised they didn't show it.

Are you serious when you say surprise?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Ginette Reno posted:

That's just it though. Those three are exceptional even among Jedi, yet we know that it took Luke three movies to become a competent fighter and force user. Anakin and Luke both displayed exceptional natural talent in piloting pod racers and making trick shots on the Death Star but after Ep1 Anakin had years of training with Obi-Wan to explain his progression and after Ep4 Luke could barely summon a Lightsaber to save himself from a Wampa and then had what seemed like weeks or months of training with Yoda which still left him all but helpless against Vader.

Meanwhile Rey beats Kylo despite having no training with the Force and then looks like a master duelist despite having like three lessons from Luke. And then she can still compete with Kylo in that little battle of wills they had over the Lightsaber despite Kylo being described as powerful and with him having way more training than she has had.

Well in the original trilogy showed restraint probably due to what special effects could do at the time and didn't get into the DBZ levels of power creep that the prequels and new films have where everything has to be bigger and flashier because CGI makes it possible. No one wants to see the same slow character build that Luke went through and the limited uses the Force had, it's all about instant satisfaction which ironically gets incredibly boring.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

precision posted:

the Force can literally do anything if you believe hard enough. it can even make a woman pregnant.

So Shmee getting pregnant by "the force" just means she had a good pounding?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Basebf555 posted:

There's also the possibility that Rey is simply the most powerful Force user we've ever been shown in Star Wars. The Chosen One, if you will.

Snoke seems more powerful with Force than her tho.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Waffles Inc. posted:

Why is it odd that Rey is so good? Luke is "the best bush pilot in the outer rim territories" and is able to not just not die, but be tremendously effective his very first time in an X-Wing. Immediate hyper-competence is like a thing for Star War characters.

Luke's a good pilot because he was a flyboy back on Tatooine and Rey's a good fighter because she carries a melee weapon with her constantly and is good at using it, which seems to transfer over to using a lightsaber.

Tender Bender posted:

The ability to move people through the air is insignificant next to actually understanding the Force.

Oh jesus, please tell me what "actually understanding" the Force is. Because Rey herself doesn't even understand it until she meets Luke.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Jonathan Fisk posted:

what do the six distinct action figure boxes call them then :mad:

Praetorian Guards.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I hope they come back and own Kylo Ren.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I love that team "TLJ is good" now has a real doll fucker on their side, brilliant.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Timeless Appeal posted:

The entire point of The Last Jedi is that's not true and you can't defeat true evil with one big hero but by inspiring many.

I'm glad that the slave kids are inspired by Luke and none of the new characters. "The past must die!" lol

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

euphronius posted:

He has Roses ring so maybe you aren't right.

Ahh yes, the throwaway character the accomplishes jack and poo poo the whole film is going to the source of inspiration for years to come.

Unless it's inspiration on how not to kiss someone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

euphronius posted:

I think it's great that they are clearly not horses at all but look close enough where our latent anti animal prejudices erase them from the plot. This is great because it's a comment on mans cruelty to animals and also something Lucas did a lot in the prequels successfully. Lot going on in Canto Bight.

Yeah, save the animals but not the child slaves; great message. If they only had some method of fast travel that would of allowed them to take the children with them.

• Locked thread