Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Do it ironically posted:

You shouldn't need to be rich to have kids but it should be mandatory to have an education and be able to pass some basic competency tests.

It's really too bad that you need a license and testing to drive a car, or own a firearm, but people can have as many kids as they want regardless of how well they can raise them.

Yeah but if you had to be smart to gently caress you'd probably never get laid bro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Rime posted:

It's a horrible, horrible idea to mix consumption for starters.

How so? I mean sure you get completely hosed up but I don't see how the health effects are any different than doing the substances separately. If people want to get hosed up on weed and booze I don't really see how that's the governments problem

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Cultural Imperial posted:

Lo and behold spurious arguments against a non existent war on drugs in Canada

But guys this is the most fascinating public policy issue of the millennia

Agreed. Why don't you dumb SJWs post repeatedly about Jenny Kwans Disneyland trip some more?!?!

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
Here's a helpful hint for discussing the Syrian civil war with anyone: if someone unironically states that supporting the Assad regime is a good or sensible way to end the conflict it's ok to assume that person doesn't know poo poo about the Syrian civil war

Case in point: PT6A's posts in this thread

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Panas posted:

Civil wars generally end in lovely compromises. Negotiating peace never ends with the "bad guys" getting beheaded or imprisoned while all the moderates take control and democracy grows like a beautiful flower. If there is ever going to be peace in Syria, it needs to be done with the cooperation of the Assad regime.

Why would the FSA/Nusra ever agree to peace under those terms? Assad started the war by turning his guns on peaceful protestors and accelerated it by imprisoning/torturing/murdering tens of thousands. Why would Sunni Syrian Arabs ever agree to go back to being subjugated by a minority Alawite regime?

A Typical Goon fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Nov 24, 2015

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Panas posted:

Because the clearly can't win, so they either negotiate or they die when the US sacrifices them in a bid to get help wiping out daesh.

The difference between Assad and daesh is that Assad killed his own people. Daesh would not be such a big deal if they had stuck to killing Syrians and Iraqis.

You do know that the war is currently a huge stalemate with the Rebels holding huge portions of the country and the regime is currently suffering from huge man power shortages? There is more to Syria than just Damascus, Latakia and Tartus. The US isn't even the main supplier of arms to the rebels. Actually I'm sure you don't know, but thanks for proving the earlier point I made here:

A Typical Goon posted:

Here's a helpful hint for discussing the Syrian civil war with anyone: if someone unironically states that supporting the Assad regime is a good or sensible way to end the conflict it's ok to assume that person doesn't know poo poo about the Syrian civil war

Case in point: PT6A's posts in this thread

Edit: poo poo wrong quote

A Typical Goon fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Nov 24, 2015

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

PT6A posted:

I agree, killing mentally ill people sounds like a very, very good idea! Can't see any problem with that, nope!

Yeah you missed the point big time there. He was making fun of your idiotic implication that people being pissed at a verdict should have any effect on the verdict itself. Why should anyone care what the ignorant think about the concept of social justice?

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
It sounds to me like Ghomeshi's defence is "ya i assaulted then but they're all whores who liked it anyway"

Hopefully this awful victim blaming defence doesn't work out for him.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

a primate posted:

These social media witch hunts are certainly going to narrow the playing field as more and more people are part of online communities. Honestly some of those things are pretty bad, and obviously some of those candidates shouldn't be running, but it's kind of worrying since even intelligent candidates are likely to have said or done something stupid when they were younger.

If you're running for public office, delete the Twitter account that you used to call women whores with. It's really loving easy

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Patrick Spens posted:

That depends on what the problem is. If the issue is just that we don't have the staff/they aren't trained enough then yeah, that's fixable within the probation system.

If the issue is that probation officers are being asked to monitor people in the community who should not be in the community, then longer imprisonment is an answer.

I work in the criminal justice system and its the first one. Most probation officers are awful and do very little to help the people the are supposed to be monitoring.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

And here you all are talking about strengthening government unions.

Strengthening unions is a Good Thing and I don't get why some many Canadians are fervently anti-Union

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

then maybe you dumb shitstains shoudl stop complaining about lousy government employees

Unions are good for people. It's a shame most people are useless

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

PT6A posted:

See? You can't honestly tell me these parents don't deserve to be shot in the face. The capacity to allow your child to die in such a miserable, painful fashion without seeking medical help represents a level of depravity I cannot even comprehend. Even evil dictators usually off their family members in a quick and reasonably painless fashion.

I've changed my mind: we do need a death penalty. Not necessarily for killing someone you're really angry at, or even for capping some dude for shits and giggles, but for purposefully allowing a close family member to die an agonising death. gently caress these people so hard. Bonus: no issues of mistaken identity, as can be a problem in standard capital cases.

You're a loving idiot

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

PT6A posted:

Right, I forgot social justice mandates we need to have pity for a bunch of miserable ignorant cunts who let their children die out of pure stupidity.

gently caress you and everyone who thinks, like you, that the life and wellbeing of a child is less important than the beliefs of their parents. I hope you get hit by a semi trailer and get smeared across the pavement. Apologists for child abuse will populate the very deepest circle of hell.

If you actually believe that dumb ignorant retarded people are deserving of death please do this thread a favour and start with yourself.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
Why do people live in Newfoundland?

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

mik posted:

I live in PEI and it's about a thousand times better than living in Montreal or Toronto from a quality of life perspective. Six-figs helps. :smug: I live like a king.

PEI: better than Toronto and Montreal.

I mean I probably wouldn't live in either city but come the gently caress on

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Dreylad posted:

letterkenney is a documentary about small town ontario

it makes sense that it'd be terrible then

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
Everyone knows Fort Mac was a false flag caused by Justin Trudeau personally. Open your eyes sheeple

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

CLAM DOWN posted:

Lmao at anyone complaining about homework quantities in elementary/high school.

I want to know what schools are actually giving 2-3 hours of work a night to an elementary student.

I think I had maybe 2-3 hours of homework a week throughout high school, maybe 2-3 hours total throughout the school year in elementary.

Hell I don't think I did 2-3 hours a night during my undergrad :psyduck:

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

CLAM DOWN posted:

I found out that a colleague of mine is a diehard fan of Harper and hates Trudeau because "he's too weak", "tries to make everyone happy", and "isn't qualified to run the country like Harper was". How do I even start responding to this :psyduck:

I feel bad for you. Working with PT6A would be awful

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

flakeloaf posted:

I can't imagine why anyone isn't taking their side seriously.

I agree that it's cool and good that a bunch of people are gonna have their lives ruined for something that won't be illegal in a year

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

MA-Horus posted:

There is literally not a single goddamn reason for Constable joe blow of the TPS to have C8s loving hell

Not one. There is not a reason for a beat cop to pack like its Benghazi.

I remember during the aftermath of the Moncton shootings there was a lot do cries about how the police didn't have enough firepower and this horrible tragedy wouldn't have happened if our boys in blue just had assault rifles and tanks and who knows what the gently caress else

Cops are garbage and policing is a career that attracts just about the worst kind of people to a profession where you get to walk around with a gun for a living

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
Eliminate all online commentators imo especially this thread

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
lol just lol if you've ever voted for a party that was later elected

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
Liberals playing to the crowd to get elected and then never following through on any promises to avoid controversy by shaking the status quo? Who could have seen that coming :rolleyes:

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

namaste faggots posted:

this is what happens when you raise a generation of kids on promoting their self esteem instead of making them fail at hard subjects like math everyone

Really blows my mind how few people actually understand probabilities

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

PT6A posted:

Good loving riddance. Calgary Transit should offer free bus trips, one way only, to anywhere that isn't here to these assholes.

"Waah, I lost my job and I'm sad, now I need to do an extremely addictive drug, and do lots of petty crime, and beat my wife. Oh, it's all the downtown in the oil industry and not that I'm a poo poo-tier human being who should kill myself!"

Maybe the poo poo-tier human....was you??

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Fluffy Chainsaw posted:

Please elaborate on how eliminating the $1.73 a political party receives from the vote of a low-income individual prevents said low-income person from participating in politics.

Back when I was a minimum wage slave the first thing on my mind when I was living paycheque to paycheque making 1400$ a month was donating to the political party of my choice, things like rent and food are overrated anyway

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
I hope Trudeau never wears a shirt again. Just for the hot takes

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
what is the world coming to when I agree with the Sun. When was the last time bunnyofdoom posted around here?

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
The rcmp were angry that their first made up terrorist got away so they killed the second one

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
Summarily execute all criminals. Everyone knows rehabilitation is impossible

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Jan posted:

Well, yes.

As Jane Average, none of these measures would make me feel safer if I knew this guy lived close to me. No matter how low the odds of it happening to me personally, I would rather not get raped by someone who was previously convicted of the same offense and recidivated after he pinky promised! not to.

Well then I guess it sucks for you that we can't keep people locked up forever because it offends your middle class sensibilities that you might be minisculely less safe

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Jan posted:

It might not happen to me, but there's a "moderate-to-high risk" that it'll happen to someone.

As much as I believe in the criminal justice system being about rehabilitation, it's not "middle class sensibilities" to realise that some people are beyond rehabilitation.

What about this particular case makes you believe this person is beyond rehabilitation?

The most likely outcome of this whole scenario to me seems like he'll get released then probably get busted for a curfew violation or using the internet or something and get sent back to prison for a few more years before they let him out to try again. Seeing as thats what happened the last two times he was paroled.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Jordan7hm posted:

Don't worry, the resident criminal defense attorneys will be sure to explain why this guy only deserves community service and house arrest based on various legal things we just don't understand.

He will probably do 10-25 years for 2nd degree murder, or if the Crown isn't particularly confident in their case at trial, maybe 5-15 through a plea bargain for manslaughter.

Sounds about right for me. A youth commuting a similar offence would receive 7 years, which also seems appropriate.

Canada's prison terms are more than fair if you believe rehabilitation should be the prime focus (you should)

I was watching a documentary from the States about a 13 year old girl that accidentally killed her abusive grandmother (the girl was trying to keep her grandmother bedridden but OD her). Tried as an adult, sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole. So hosed up

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
CanPol Megathread: PT6A's suicidely boring takes on whatever the gently caress is going through his mind at that moment

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Fried Watermelon posted:

How lovely is your life that you get all riled up because someone is wearing a birkini

I think it's cool and good to tell women that they have to undress to a degree that makes them uncomfortable in order to enjoy certain public spaces, nothing problematic there at all

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

People actually believe this?

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

namaste faggots posted:

Guys blah blah blah residential schools so natives get carte blanche forever on anything because of white guilt

The last residential school closed in 1986

tell us again what exactly you believe these Aboriginal people get 'carte blanche' on?

loving native privilege, I tell ya :jerkbag:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

PT6A posted:

Just got off an IV fentanyl drip for surgery. Don't see what the fuss is, I didn't even like it as much as nitrous. Anyone who gets hooked after one try, as someone had claimed could happen, has serious issues.

Anyone who doesn't understand that PT6A is trolling this thread after this post is an idiot