Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

14 INCH DICK posted:

It cracks me up I finally get the chance to post my how to have a good day manifesto just before the thread dies in a spot nobody will ever notice :allears:

I noticed.
I just hope someone is compiling that stuff, and will publish it some day.

Adiabatic posted:

I just watched that music video again. There's some super AI motorcycle poo poo in it.

I love the 4-motorbike chariot.

Oh, hey, a Buick Reatta!

e: F,B by Seat Safety Switch

some texas redneck posted:

Maybe not in AZ. :colbert:

Serious talk though, I've been in Irving (the city Nipples mentioned) when one hit before. It was... unsettling, especially since I was on the 8th floor of a 19 story building at the time.

I haven't felt one at home, though I'm a 45 minute drive from Irving, and the strongest to hit the DFW area has only been a 4.0 (significantly south of DFW proper - I think Irving has only experienced up to a 3.0?).

3.1, IIRC, and it was only a couple of miles away from where I work. It made our shelving sway a bit on the second floor. In fact, a lot of the North Texas earthquakes were only a few miles away from work. A lot of them seemed to center around where Texas (Cowboys) Stadium used to be.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Nov 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Pham Nuwen posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9x74SlY1ik

"Got this fender here, it's all rusted out... V8 owners' tears"

That was amusing.
I like the linked vidoe featuring a "souped up" Lancer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezFi5wK-pIY

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

IOwnCalculus posted:

If you need a follow-up, my daughter still loves this one three years in: http://www.amazon.com/Racecar-Alphabet-Notable-Childrens-Younger/dp/0689850913

http://www.thelittleredracingcar.com/little-red-racing-car/
and
http://www.thelittleredracingcar.com/greatest-race/

I put in for the Kickstarter for both. Neat books.

LloydDobler posted:

Buddy of mine told me his facebook horror story today. An ex girlfriend who he very *tentatively* reconnected with posted pictures of herself with her new baby. He read the comments, pretty generic supporting stuff, so he chimed in "congratulations, you're gonna make a great mom".

Two days later a mutual friend informs him that he just congratulated her on a stillbirth. The pics were of her grieving with a dead baby.

Edit:

The moral of the story Rhyno is it happens all the time. Facebooks sucks because it increases the quantity of communication while lowering the quality. As you and my friend learned this week.

Who in the gently caress posts pictures of their dead baby?

LED lights:
I used a bunch of the higher end ones from this guy on eBay in my Crown Vic: http://www.ebay.com/usr/dt-autotech?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2754
I'm pleased with how bright the tail/brake and front marker/turn LEDs are.

I used these:
Brake/tail: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2X-Red-5630-Chip-LEDs-3157-High-Power-Turn-Signal-Blinker-Light-Bulbs-/331272229393?vxp=mtr&hash=item4d215d1211
Park/turn: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2X-560-Lume...=item35dc7bfa25
Corner/side marker: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2X-T10-921-...=item4d0c39cb39

All of them are pretty damned bright. The side marker one could be a bit more "amber" since my lenses are clear (factory), but they're acceptable.

I used this same seller, but different model bulbs, in my Cherokee, and they continue to work after almost 2 years. They were acceptable, but the new ones I got for the CV are definitely brighter.

edit: oh, and the white grid/panel LEDs for all the interior lights behind lenses on both the CV and the Jeep. When I turn on the dome light, I intend to be able to see stuff on the floor, dammit. 194 or whatever for all the other courtesy lights and dash lights. Even found some wee-bitty ones for the little guys that Ford likes to use in the AC controls and some other dash bits.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Nov 3, 2015

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Are you saying that he should...

Fight fire with fire? :black101:

Oh, is Armageddon here?
Should I draw my last breath?

alternate.eago posted:

Dad Chat: I still vividly remember losing my Dad just over 2 years ago. I kinda shut down for a long while. It's still really hard, I still haven't cleaned out the inside of the pickup he used as his daily.

Lighter, but still kinda sad news, I priced out new wheels/tires for my 89 LTD Crown Vic. $532.40 from tire rack--and that is for cheap steelies and cheap all seasons (fusion tires). I really don't want to spend that much for wheels/tires on a car that I'm going to sell. But it does need new wheels an tires (rims have rusted through, and the tires were brand new in 97). Any suggestions for cheaper sites? I've been checking CL for weeks and haven't seen anything :sigh:

Just bough fancy-pants 18" Mustang wheels for my CV - tires are going to be $500-600 by themselves.

For you, I'd say wrecking yard. Apparently, you're in the Rust Zone, but here in TX, aluminum wheels from the wrecking yard tend to be cheaper than new steelies from retailers, at least the common 15" factory alloys. Steelies from the wrecking yard are downright dirt cheap, and the CV and its clones are almost literally the most common car in America. Grab tires from the wrecking yard if you can, or used from a local tire shop. Hell, the local tire shop might have used steelies taken off from someone donking their poo poo...
If I hadn't found pretty much exactly the Mustang wheels I was looking for at a price I could live with, I was probably going to upgrade my 16" cop whee;s to the 17" version from my friendly neighborhood wreckers.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

New wheels and tires for the Crown Vic. Much better!

Negromancer posted:

while I never insisted on being called an engineer, I did piss off people regularly when I would tell them I'm a systems engineer. the only reason I even told people my title was just because it was easier than trying to explain what I actually do to non tech people. it's not my fault the industry I work in gives people stupid titles (don't get me started on devops).

I'm a "Workstation Engineer" (computer janitor.)

I've tracked a little over 40k in the Saturd.

It gets nowhere near what the window sticker claimed. :sigh:

I ripped out the OnStar mirror (replacing it with a regular mirror that still had the compass and outside temp display), and also replaced the stereo.

gently caress, I murdered the value of my Ion didn't I? (if you can murder the value of something that's worth nearly $0)

Averaging 16.7 in the Crown Vic: http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/crown_victoria/2005/krwright/356701
Upside is that it's a paid-for $1500 car, and my commute is 12 miles each way. A zero car payment can pay for a lot of gas. And I really enjoy the V8, rear-drive comfort.

I've ruined it's value as a cop car, though - I've installed carpet and a fabric rear seat!

Fallout 4: I guess I should play this Fallout 3 I bought for my Xbox like a year ago, first.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

14 INCH DICK posted:

This page is why I will always be a console gamer and take whatever hits I need to because gently caress that noise just to play a new game.

Yeah, pretty much this.
I made that decision years ago with the Xbox 360, and I didn't have to fiddle with hardware until I bought an Xbox One last year.
I did, however, have to replace that original Xbox once due to red ring syndrome, but I replaced it with a slim that was on Black Friday sale or something. Even full price the things cost, what, $400?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Noise Complaint posted:

Welp, just had a guy attempt to drag my fiance out of her Jeep on her way to meet me to get our marriage license. Dude was raging because he couldn't pass her because of oncoming traffic and started driving erratically, they hit a stoplight and he gets out of his car and comes up and starts screaming that he's going to beat her rear end and tries to open the door. She gets away and he follows her for another 15+ minutes wherein he tries to get out of his car at every light.

She calls 911 and I start ripping towards them as fast as I can go safely and get there just as the cops arrive and pull the guy over. They take down the information, hassle the guy a bit, and then let him go, telling us that she must have done something to provoke him.

She's shaken up but alright and I'm still shaking a bit, but I'm mostly incredulous that they just let the guy go after some finger wagging. What the gently caress is wrong with people.

What the gently caress?
Do your jobs you glorified meter maids.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Cage posted:

Every single time I'm underneath my car I ask myself why I didn't buy safety glasses yet.

PC forever because gently caress aiming with my thumbs. What the hell else do you use thumbs for? I can't stand it.

Point. I got used to it for the most part, though.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

cursedshitbox posted:

I parted ways with a little bit of money.

Flat 6 diesel, 15 speed, proper tandems with proper drive. Midship mounted engine.

This thing is awesome.
I love the flat-six on it's side. It's like a giant Previa van! :)

Ferremit posted:

This is the reason my progress has stalled in Fallout...Ive been getting a Development Application sorted for the council and my GOD do they want inane details...

They want the ISO view, Side elevation, Frontal elevation, and then a full page of dimensions and specs. For three deck thats are 200mm off the ground, a portable spa and a loving shed! :suicide:

I love your porch that's all the way around the house, and my next home will have that feature. My wife keeps pointing out 1920's homes here in Texas that have that sort of wraparound porch. I agree, but I don't necessarily want the maintenance nightmare of a '20s home...

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

the spyder posted:

Mechanic injuries: What's your most memorable?

Mines a draw between breaking off a Olfa knife blade in my thumb or the 1" gash in my right palm from a heat shield.

I love days off due to car injuries. drat it. My right palm hurts like hell.

Crushed the snot out of my right thumb when I did the clutch on my wife's Kia. Had to drill a hole in the nail, and eventually lost it (the thumbnail.) Now my iPhone hates that thumb, and doesn't register taps from it half the time.
Probably the worst was when I was changing out the rear springs on my Cutlass and did not notice that I had pulled it back from the wheel chocks while jacking it up, and managed to move the car around enough that the frame slid forward on the jack stands until the stands were under where the frame kicks up for the rearend, which compressed the suspension just enough to trap my right hand between the rear axle and, I believe, the exhaust. Fortunately it hit the chocks before it fully compressed the suspension. Crushed it a bit, massive bruising, and I had a neat furrow across the back of my hand from the brake line running across the axle tube, but no permanent damage. Hurt a lot, and I was scared to death the damned thing would move more and take my hand off or something. At that point, I just pulled my hand out, abrasions be damned. Surprisingly, I didn't lose and skin, just the use of the hand for a couple days. you better believe I check those damned chocks now.

leica posted:

I want Alien Isolation but I'm a scared man baby :smith:

Jesus Christ that game has just about made me yell out loud. I HATE that mother loving Xenomorph. Where the gently caress is my Smart Gun, or at least a Pulse Rifle?

mafoose posted:

I played it at a friend's house with his surround sound headphones and holy poo poo gently caress that game.

If I played that with an oculus I'd probably piss myself.

On the Xbox versions, there's a setting to let the game monitor the Kinect, so you HAVE TO BE QUIET OR THE ALIEN WILL HEAR YOU! gently caress. That. Noise. (pun unintentional.)

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

meatpimp posted:

Gotta get a Wahoo Kickr. It is a really amazing trainer that does feel more like real riding than anything else I've tried. That combined with Zwift is going to be my go-to for the Winter.

I used the Kickr and TrainerRoad last Winter, which was fine, but TR gets a bit tiresome.

I just made the mistake of Googling that. Holy hell bicycle poo poo is expensive. I believe I'll stick to my $150 K-Mart tank, thank you.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

jamal posted:

It can get really out of hand, especially if you race and have multiple bikes. I probably spent at least $500 on just tires this year.

Yeah, I'm a cheap bastard. I cringe at spending $500 on car tires.

KozmoNaut posted:

Well, that certainly didn't take long:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TzR3CEk73Q

What an amazingly bigoted and close-minded man. Calling him a piece of poo poo would be disrespectful to actual pieces of poo poo.

Not even going to watch it. He's one of many so-called Christians who'll be very surprised at their afterlife accommodations. Jack-holes like him make me embarrassed to admit I'm part of the same general belief system.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Nov 18, 2015

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

KozmoNaut posted:

I don't even care that he's Christian or whatever. Dude's an rear end in a top hat, pure and simple. Putting any other label on him is just disrespectful to anyone else who happens to share that label.

This is a valid point, and I agree. Trouble is he claims to be Christian (and apparently Baptist at that) and a lot of people are going to make the assumption that all or at least a significant portion believe as he does, just like a lot of people seem to assume that all Muslims are homicidal exploding maniacs. Those of us with brains know better, but that ain't the majority.

Cage posted:

I've been looking at tires for my winter vehicle. I don't really need any, but the ones I got a year ago are used and they're noisy as hell. This always happens on payday, I look for stuff to buy that I really don't need.

Though I do have a kind of good reason to look: These tires are slightly undersized but I needed them in a hurry. But then I say to myself "well if youre buying new tires you should just go for some oversized bro ones" and then suddenly I'm looking at a $600+ dollar purchase.

I think I'm ok with the tires I have.

I live in TX. My winter tires have been on the car the whole year. :smug:

Kerbey Lane Cafe. Order the Kerbey Queso.

There's 4 or 5 locations around Austin. The original on Kerbey is the best, of course.

Alamo Drafthouse Cinema is good for drinks and movies, though they've been spreading like wildfire. They started in Houston or Austin, I think?

San Antonio. (hint: look at the name.)

jammyozzy posted:

Threw an SSD in my old Thinkpad T410 yesterday and put Win 8.1 on it because hey, once I turn all the charms poo poo off and put a real start menu back it's not too bad. I've just spent the last 3 hours trying to install Lenovo's crappy function key drivers so I can turn Wifi and Bluetooth on and off. The solution, naturally, is to install a version a year out of date in Win 7 compatability mode. :shepicide:

When this thing dies I'm buying a Mac.

I have Macs. I like Macs. I fix Macs. Apple does stupid poo poo, too. More like arrogant poo poo, really, like decide that your perfectly functioning machine just isn't good enough for the latest OS or whatever.
One the newer stuff, be aware that pretty much nothing is upgradeable, so you'd better be happy with your memory, and possibly hard drive (SSD) size. iMacs, for example, don't have RAM slots, and you have to disassemble the thing to replace the SSD, which is something you need special tools for, since you have to go in through the front glass, and it's glued in, unlike the previous generation that had magnets. The laptops are just as bad. I think you may be able to replace the SSD on those. Here at work, we make sure that everything we use stays in AppleCare for this reason.
That said, they don't break hardly at all, so if you spec the machine adequately in the first place, it'll run for years. For personal use, I have a 2010 MacBook Pro (Core2 Duo). upgrading to 8 GB RAM and an SSD for the OS drive, with a spinny drive in the optical bay, makes it just fine for email, surfing, and general use.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

literally a fish posted:

Um, yes they do. Almost every single model of iMac does. "Memory is not user-removable on iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2012), iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2013), and iMac (21.5-inch, Mid 2014) computers", that's it, and they still have slots you just have to disassemble the unit to access them, with the exception of the VERY LATEST 21" model ("• Memory in iMac (21-inch, Late 2015) and iMac (Retina 4K, 21-inch, Late 2015) is not upgradeable.") which is understandable since chances are nobody's ever upgrading the RAM in a 21".

Inability to access the HDD is a bit of a bitch though.

And yes, you can swap the SSD out on the laptops with nothing but a pentalobe screwdriver (and a torx for the actual SSD retaining screw). No RAM upgrades, but while that pisses off us power users for 99% of users it doesn't make a lick of difference.

(apple still do hella stupid poo poo though, like how the new mac pro is inferior to the old one in quite a few ways)

Hmmm. I guess my fellow tech was referring to just the fact of having to disassemble the things to get to anything, which is a bitch. It's also possible I wasn't listening closely enough.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

literally a fish posted:

You literally need no tools at all to do RAM in most of the iMacs :v: some of the older ones need a philips screwdriver.

Several of the current models to which I am referring don't have the hatch on the back for RAM. I'm aware of the ones that do, and the older sones with the hatch on the bottom.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tusen Takk posted:

lol please don't tell me one of you guys bought me this

i'm gonna feel really bad that you didn't just adblock dogtrots

(if u did thanks <3)

U GONNA HACK TIME?!

CommieGIR posted:

Suicide Bomber comedy option:

Is that a car flying up into the air and then exploding (again)?
Hard to tell between the distance, image size, and shaky-cam.

fake edit: yep:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...s-detonate.html

CommieGIR posted:

Hell, my newer motherboards can flash the BIOS while they are off. Crazy stuff.

I was astounded that our newer HP workstations can update their own BIOS over the internet, while in BIOS. No disks, USB boot drives, or anything required. Fortunately don't have to mess with it too much.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Almost time to eat and everything smells sooooo good.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

He has Geico. :sigh: So it's going to be a pain in the rear end. And I don't have accident forgiveness on my policy, if for some hosed up reason insurance decides I was partially at fault.

Click if you want to see a fender bender.

I dropped my bike many years ago due to a guy changing lanes 2 feet in front of me while simultaneously slowing down. Front tire barked his rear bumper and down I went. He was all apologies at the time. I made the mistake of not waiting for a cop to show up (I did not have a MC endorsement at the time), but I did get phone numbers of witnesses. He later claimed that I was following too closely (well, yeah, not that I could avoid it...) and my witnesses had conflicting stories, so his insurance told me to get hosed. I got to pay for a sprained wrist all by myself. I would have killed to have a dash (helmet) cam then. I really need to get a dash cam for the car now, even though I don't drive a whole lot.

Posting from work, where this is just SO MUCH for a workstation janitor to do when no one else is here...
Eh, catching up on the forums and watching YouTube. Had a Smashburger for lunch (burp.)

Oh, and the website for the luxury retailer I work at went down for hours.
Looks like someone forgot to do load tests this year.

I want that. Wish I had $1500 (and it was somewhat near me.)

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

88h88 posted:

I've spent the evening playing the new Transformers game by Platinum Games, it's pretty fun and looks just like the old cartoons. Slowly getting the hang of the fighting system and have put Devastator and Megatron in their places so far...

Oh, that looks like fun, and they got a several of the original voice actors, too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

The Locator posted:

I'm not honestly sure what the best path to move Win10 upgrade to a new PC is. Does seem like a bit of a pain to make you install 7 first, then re-upgrade. Maybe with the registered key there is an iso you can download for fresh installs?

Once you've upgraded a machine, that machine's ID is registered with Microsoft for Win 10, and you can do a clean install. Only way to go from 32-bit to 64-bit, I think (upgrading installs 32-bit if your current OS is 32-bit). There is a tool to download the ISOs and/or make a Win 10 boot/install thumb drive. The tool works on un-upgraded Win 7 machines, so you don't have to upgrade first. You can download the tool from the link to "upgrade now" in the Win 10 systray annoyance, or just go here. The section under "Need to create a USB, DVD or ISO?" is what you want.

edit:
My PC looks like this inside :smug: :

(not my actual machine, but since they all look alike...)

Seriously. I dual boot Mac OS 10.10 and Win 7 on one, and my other one is an older Mac Pro that will only go up to 10.6, but I Win 10 runs great on it, even without any official Apple drivers. I may bump the newer one to 10. It spends 90% of it's time in Win 7 anyway.
I'd love to have an Intel i-whatever and all the Megahertz (my newer Mac Pro is a 4-core Xeon something-or-other at 2.8GHz), but I'm poor-ish, and this was a cast-off from work. I don't game on it much anyway - I use my Xbox 360, One, and PS3 for that. This thing does a little video conversion and bittorrent, mainly.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Nov 30, 2015

• Locked thread