Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
The KKK list is supposed to be of actual members and not just contact info a member had? I can absolutely believe there are GOP Congressmen in the Klan and I can't imagine Klansmen not having some congressional contact info, Klansman or not.

Either way, here's hoping Joe Wilson(R - KKK) is called on to explain this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Luigi Thirty posted:

So they're trying to figure out whether or not they should charge like an entire high school with CP charges after finding that everyone was trading naked photos of each other at a high school. It was centered on the football team, as usual. They even had point values assigned to photos and bragged about their collections, stored in phone apps that hide photos. Someone found out about it via an anonymous tip. Some people were just sending girls unsolicited dick pics and asking for pics of themselves in response. It's so big that they don't know what to do about it.

Right now juvenile detention center lobbyists are probably calling local congressmen to push them to charge all these kids. Sending a picture of yourself naked? You're now a felon and you get to start off the rest of your ruined life being used as slave labor for a decade or so.

smg77 posted:

This is a real picture hanging in Ben Carson's house:

A painting of Ben Carson with a black Jesus? He's done. All God-fearin' American Conservatives know Jesus was white as the pure master race driven snow. Just like Santa.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Aliquid posted:

gently caress youuu, New Democrats

New Democrats, AKA the people who are going to keep the GOP in power.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

zoux posted:

In election news

What about braindead-on-life-support Hitler?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

alpha_destroy posted:

Edit: On a side note, I loving hate Yik-Yak. Holy gently caress. Is it used for anything positive? Holy poo poo, anonymous threats of violence and racist jokes. Hooray anonymity! gently caress this loving earth.

Yikyak is anonymous for you and me, but not for law enforcement using Stingrays (or whatever other technology that we don't know about it detail yet).

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Absurd Alhazred posted:

A bunch of reporters will be salty for a few days and then they'll move on to something else. Mizzou will end up doing something lovely and be back in the news as assholes. Y'all are really blowing this all out of proportion.

What I'm really hoping is that all those death threats and such are just pranks and that we're not going to hear about deaths and injuries by tomorrow afternoon.

They are clearly false flags because no Real American would do anything like this it's really Obama trying to institute martial sharia law and take our guns! :freep:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Fried Chicken posted:

Really bad cop video may be coming out from Chicago shortly: http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/columnists/kass/ct-police-shooting-video-kass-met-1111-20151110-column.html

I dunno, if Eric garner's murder didn't get you I'm skeptical anything will. But we will see

Black, on PCP, and armed with a knife? The white wing is going to rally around the cops far beyond what we saw in the Eric Garner case.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Wouldn't the actions of Congress show the exact opposite? Congress trying to pass laws restricting the FCC means they believe the FCC may have that power currently and they want to remove/limit it.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

The Phlegmatist posted:

Oh, and they specifically excluded chiropractic care from coverage.

B-b-but it totally helped me you guys! :qq:

Control Volume posted:

The last job I worked was in manufacturing where two people got in an actual fight. The company response was to send them home for the night and chew them out the day after. Neither one was fired. The situation was defused by putting them in different areas of the company, and the two people generally didn't like each other after that (well the one telling the story didn't hold much of a grudge), but the company solved the issue without letting the place slip into being a hostile work environment.

It's only one example, but you are seriously underestimating the power companies have to resolve these situations without resorting to termination.

Blue collar workers fighting with each other is not the same thing as a student being attacked by a teacher. If two teachers got in a fight (or two students) they'd be disciplined and probably not fired/expelled. If either of your coworkers had attacked a client/customer they would've been fired at the very least and the employer would be doing whatever they could to avoid being sued.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

He would not. Of those states. It would be a 269-269 tie, which, lol would be hilarious.

And to go one further, Fla is only in play if it's Rubio. None of the rest of that field is going to get any better Hispanic vote in the swing states than Mittens.

In a 269-269 tie the GOP candidate wins because the House will absolutely give their guy the victory even if he lost the popular vote by millions. :ssh:

I can't see Clinton losing VA to Rubio (or anyone else) unless she's blowing the election badly and going to lose in a landslide.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Luigi Thirty posted:

Here's a new scam made possible by the Sharing Economy. A startup backed by Mark Cuban spams Craigslist with job offers from "Rideshare Taxi Co." claiming you'll make $20 an hour and get a free Prius working for them. You sign up and at the end you're told congratulations, you just leased a Prius from us, here's a link to Uber so you can make $20 an hour with it.

They shut down the scam site after getting called on it by Pando and others but still put up fake ads.

I'd say I wish this were illegal but the sharing economy pretty much exists to do illegal things and crow about how awesome they are when it comes to things like "ignoring regulation" and "putting all risk on the employees independent contractors."

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Party Plane Jones posted:

Supreme Court is going to hear one of the Texas abortion cases.

Kennedy please let your shred of sanity override your hatred of abortion...

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Kro-Bar posted:

poo poo is going down in Paris.

I'd say I'm looking forward to the right wing reaction if the attackers are Muslim but instead I think I'll just avoid Facebook for the evening because it'll be better for my blood pressure.

Luigi Thirty posted:

Say, didn't Reagan have a civil defense plan that involved throwing all black people in concentration camps in the event of civil unrest? I think I read that somewhere but I don't know where.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_prison

Fried Chicken posted:

So it's 18 dead with hostages remaining at a concert hall (Bataclan theater), no numbers in death or injury at the stadium yet. A few reporters are now saying they are linked but they don't have a source so I'd say assume that is speculation for now.

You don't have multiple attacks in different locations at the same time and assume it to be a coincidence.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

PhazonLink posted:

The SCOTUS thread is dead on page three, so I'll ask here, what's the current odds on the SCOTUS being terrible with the Texas issue?

It rests entirely on Kennedy and IIRC he's not a fan of abortion. It'll be 5-4 and the only hope pro-choice people have is if Kennedy or someone else decides to rule against Texas because their requirements are just dumb bullshit and if they want to ban abortion they need to just come out and try to do so directly.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Teflon Don posted:

Trump/Palin :mrgw:

Make America Quit Again.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Talmonis posted:

Nobody here has proposed giving into the fear and anger. But it's macho bullshit to piss on scared people, who have every right to be afraid.

If they're Americans then no, they really don't have every right to be afraid after the Paris attacks because being afraid of things half a world away is dumb as hell. This goes double for people scared now who saw no reason to be afraid after the Bundy Ranch insanity (including cops being murdered) or Dylan Roof trying to start RaHoWa. I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that people screaming for blood after the Paris attacks have a large overlap with people who see people like Cliven Bundy as a victim.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Talmonis posted:

On that tack, would ISIS go so far as to time an attack during the election year to ensure a Republican wave and response?

You'd also have the Trumpstaffel attacking Muslims in the US and ISIS could find itself some more receptive recruits for more US based attacks.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Joementum posted:

The Benghazi committee has figured out who was to blame for their hearing with Hillary lasting 11 hours. You get one guess.

He also says that the committee will be taking a "research" trip to Germany and Italy next week. It's hard work, but they're willing to go to the ends of the five star hotel list to find the truth, dammit!

Excuse me Joe, but they're going to do more research on "the Benghazi." This is Serious Business. :colbert:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Can the Feds be called in to help enforce laws when the State law enforcement openly defies the law? Considering the state outlawed this particular form of theft-by-cop any LEO continuing the practice is just a thief and in the case of taking cars couldn't you call for charges of grand theft just like in any other case of someone taking cars illegally?

:perfect:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Noted liberal organization the CATO Institute thinks refugees aren't a threat:
http://www.cato.org/blog/syrian-refugees-dont-pose-serious-security-threat

Shifty Pony posted:

Does anyone else have trouble seeing Joementum's posts sometimes? For some reason twimg.com images aren't loading even if I disable all the adblocking extensions and whatnot.

I run in to the same issue with a few other sites when using Firefox. It doesn't make any sense and it was really annoying when it up and decided to block imgur entirely one day.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

zoux posted:

I don't think Cruz realizes what debating idgaf Obama would be like.

He realizes it would boost his cred with the right wing base. Doesn't matter if he'd win or lose the debate, it'd only endear him further to the extreme right. It'd be dumb as hell for Obama to pay any attention to Cruz on this and they both know it.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

zoux posted:

Pew released a study today that showed that more Mexicans actually left the US for Mexico than immigrated north in the past six years.

Why is there a 5 year gap and why two two of the data points include overlapping timeframes? :psyduck:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Dapper_Swindler posted:

probaly, but trump strikes me as more of a red wedding type of guy. it would be more his style.

You do realize he'd be Robb Stark in that case right? He's the new comer who constantly wins and never backs down from his beliefs.

Hollismason posted:

I don't get the reference.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schutzstaffel

People would unironically jump at the chance to join the Trumpstaffel.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Meanwhile, in this thread:

"Of course not. State authorities have no power over refugee migration, federal law trumps state law. There's literally nothing they can do." :rolleyes:

Nobody said governors wouldn't ignore reality and no, he doesn't have (legal) authority to blackmail groups that use federal funds like that. If he follows through and fucks with their ability to operate he's going to get taken to Federal court and he's going to lose.

SedanChair posted:

Ooookay so Trump's getting charged for this right?

You're joking, right?

Dapper_Swindler posted:

gently caress man, trump is legit sounding like a fascist now.

As opposed to months ago when he was talking about rounding up millions of Mexicans even if it meant breaking up families or making US born children go back with their parents?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I'm baffled as to why people keep engaging with Fishmech.

It's like moths to a very dumb and pedantic flame.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Bullfrog posted:

Correct, people are saying between 2-4 people were hit. Some are claiming that the shooters were two white men in bulletproof vests. Again, these details are unconfirmed.

When will members of the white community stand up against these unsavory elements within it?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Geoff Peterson posted:

I look forward to the media inquires to Kroll, asking for confirmation that his White Supremacist organization was not the one involved in the shooting.

What makes you think the media would even consider doing this?

Luigi Thirty posted:

The final verdict was 5 people shot. The family of the victim who was getting protested for in the first place wants the protests to end so nobody else will get hurt, according to the updated version of that Star-Tribune article.

America, land of the Free, home of the Brave easily cowed.

The Kingfish posted:

That doesn't matter if the shooter felt like he couldn't get away.

Yeah it really does. I know you want to defend your fellow racists Trump supporters but short of video evidence showing the guys were being cut off and attacked they're up poo poo creek if they get caught. No sane person is going to believe that white supremacists went to a BLM protest and just happened to find themselves in a situation to shoot black people while coincidentally being armed and armored. Without SYG laws "I was being chances so I stopped and fired at those people" is not a very good defense even ignoring personal beliefs of the shooters.

JT Jag posted:

Cruz scares me in a General more than either Trump or Carson, because while he's a slimy piece of poo poo with the most punchable face in the world he's smart and knows how to work the system.

This is factually incorrect though. He's arrogant as gently caress and thinks he knows how to work the system. In reality him "working the system" results in things like Obama being able to get a bunch of confirmations that weren't going to happen otherwise. He's not quite as bad as Carson, but he has the same "I'm really good at X, so I'm also really good at A-W" mindset.

Cruz consistently burns bridges within his own party too. The establishment might hate Trump the most but Cruz is second on their shitlist.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Fried Chicken posted:

NAACP alleges cops 'behind' last night's shooting in Minnesota, says they have video of undercover cops leaving scene

Prediction: truth or not all this amounts to is a line used by conservatives to dismiss the incident

Isn't the head of the police union in a(n alleged) white supremacist motorcycle club, or was that another city?

Luigi Thirty posted:

The thing that's really hard to prove so they charge police with it as a token because they always get off?

The dashcam video is apparently pretty horrific. Like, the family was given a 5m settlement without actually suing first and there were 18 prior complaints about this officer.

Also, after the shooting several police went to the Burger King and deleted over an hour of security camera footage from before/during/after the incident (and Burger King corporate has made this claim). It'd be really nice if cops could actually get charged with obstruction of justice but the shooter's being charged so I'm not going to hold out hope for several more miracles. We desperately need a department in the DoJ that does nothing but handle police investigations. Local prosecutors and most independent review boards are in bed with the PDs to a huge degree. Feds, at the very least, have less chance to give a gently caress about local buddy-buddy bullshit and would be more likely to nail cops to the wall when they break the law.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Epic High Five posted:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/laquan-mcdonald-video_5654e329e4b079b281897fc2

Hey Chicago goons may wanna stay inside tonight

:nws:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ix2N6_jLAgA

:nws:

In the video, McDonald is carrying with a small knife and walking away from officers, Alvarez said. Chicago police officer Jason Van Dyke opens fire as he stands about 10 feet away, and keeps shooting for roughly 13 to 15 seconds even after the teen falls to the ground.

It still blows my goddamn mind that the police went and deleted Burger King's footage of the murder but not their own. :psyduck:

This video's existence is pretty much the only thing that gives a good chance at the cop being sent to prison.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Torpor posted:

I can see the officer not getting convicted in this case; I mean I can see him getting convicted also, but if he walks I would not be surprised given the facts at issue there.

The facts like, he shot a guy walking away from him and continued firing at a twitching body on the ground?

Mr Interweb posted:

So I saw something interesting about Turkey:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Member_states_of_NATO

Apparently they have the second highest numbers of active (and inactive) troops only behind the U.S.? Really? More than the UK or France? What's up with that?

Why would the UK or France have a large standing army? The odds of going to war with a neighbor is near-zero and for external threats if they can't handle it they just ask the US to do so.

Ballz posted:

Gonna be very curious to see how the right rationalizes the Chicago shooting after that video's released. Jesus Christ...

"He is black had a weapon" is all they need for their audience.

Combed Thunderclap posted:

Not sure if this has already been posted but fun new facts from the Chicago shooting case were just broadcast on NPR:
- one of the witnesses of the shooting was apparently taken to a holding cell and told she didn't see anything :lol:
- the cop who went into the nearby Burger King to erase the surveillance video of the shooting...didn't erase the surveillance video of him erasing the surveillance video :haw:

Hahahaaaaaaaa. :saddowns:

You say this second point as if there's any realistic chance of them being charged for destroying evidence. I'd really love to be wrong and see the cop(s) involved all get strung up for it but I'm not holding my breath. :smith:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Radish posted:

Isn't that exactly what people were scared JFK was going to be like?

No you see JFK was going to obey the Pope, while these people directly report to God so there's no way some evil Catholic man can taint American Religious Purity! :pseudo:

Also the people who had those JFK fears were largely the extremely religious Protestants weren't they? I'd say they have overlap with the Tea Party but it's basically the same people and their kids (and grandkids).

Radish posted:

I don't see how it would be possible to ever convict someone involved in white collar crime again (which I know is the point) as long as you weren't brain dead. I hope the Dems are smart enough that bill is just going to be some forgotten joke.

Oh you sweet summer child.

Non-practicing Christians holding views more in-line with Christ than active, street-corner-screaming Christians is not surprising considering that group is likely a lot of people who are in agreement with the general good teachings of Jesus and not so much on the Church's mainly issues.

(Also it's the group that Francis likely appeals to more, since practicing (hard right) Catholics tend to be against him and side with assholes like Dolan)

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Good Citizen posted:

Dear millennials, please buy us out of our overpriced property investments.

Signed,
A bunch of fuckers

If you guys don't buy these house at inflated prices then we can't keep flipping them to make a bunch of money like the nice guy on the radio said. :qq:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

SedanChair posted:

What kind of barbarians don't serve both turkey and ham?

Save the ham for Christmas.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Epic High Five posted:

I always suspected that Joe doesn't really know how to party, but this confirms it

All of the food, keep adding proteins until you run out of space on the table, then add a new table

Prime Rib with a well made Horseradish sauce is incredible and considering where this meal's being held i can only imagine how amazing that dish is going to be.

Stretch Marx posted:

Also Mac and Cheese for thanksgiving?

Properly made from scratch (baked) Mac and Cheese is a side worth eating. A former co-worker of mine went out to dinner with his wife a few years back and was shocked that you could get Mac and Cheese at the fairly nice place they went to. It's like Lasagna or any other dish. You can make it cheap, easy, and low quality, or you can make it the right way and it's fantastic. I tried to explain this to my co-worker and disabuse him of the notion that it was just American Insanity but I'm not sure it ever took.

Tl;dr: Mac and Cheese can be as low or high class as other pasta dishes. :chef:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Sucrose posted:

Well, there was a board investigating police misconduct in Chicago. Last year the Chicago PD pulled one of its members over and when they realized who he was, they turned off their cameras and literally beat the poo poo out of him and arrested him on a false charge.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2015/09/24/suit-cops-mistreated-motorist-after-turning-off-dashboard-camera/

If law enforcement didn't want cops being able to avoid being recorded they wouldn't let them have the ability to turn off their dash cams in the first place. Being able to turn off your cameras, abuse someone, and then get a slap on the wrist is the system working as (the police) intended.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Trabisnikof posted:

Clearly if a critical public service job keeps having all their smart employees leave, the solution is to ban smart employees rather than trying to figure out why anyone smart wants to gtfo

Well they certainly can't do something like offer better pay/benefits to keep smart and capable people there. Better just get lower quality guys and make sure the FOP spokesman is shameless enough to lie repeatedly and victim blame when a cop does something horrific.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Hollismason posted:

I'm honestly surprised one of these open carry persons hasn't been shot already.

They're white, which helps them tremendously. I would not want to put money on the same understanding being given to a black or brown skinned person doing something similar.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

silvergoose posted:

Sin is Jecht.

I hate you for making this joke and I hate myself for getting it.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Joementum posted:

To be honest, I'd rather not know what's in John Kerry's freezers.

Purple Hearts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

A Winner is Jew posted:

In a narrowly defined context where the result of such slander/libel resulted in physical violence against the target, yes I would be fine with. However it would have to apply to ONLY physical harm uncured by the victim and never monetary or emotional ones.

Even though something like this is highly unethical I would never want it to be covered by that law.

So saying something that makes a person beat you up is bad, but saying something that makes people drive you to kill yourself is ok? :thumbsup:

• Locked thread