Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Oddly enough there are also employers that just loving love unions. One of the German car companies (Volkswagen, I think) actually didn't want to have a factory in America specifically because the workers voted against unionizing. They didn't want to have to deal with individual negotiations but rather talking to a union collectively.

That's actually a German cultural thing, I believe. Companies and Unions over there usually recognize that they have a common interest in making sure the company as a whole does as well as possible because the financial health which management is most concerned about does best when employees are happy and productive and employee happiness which the union is concerned about does best when the company has the money to provide paychecks and continue to exist next year so there's job stability, and both sides realize that the other side is more equipped to handle that need. It's just Germans being Germanly efficient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

DariusLikewise posted:

Nintendo Switch games currently retail for $80.00 new in Canada

Yeah but you're forgetting to account for inflation and the the fact that your money's worthless.

BIG FLUFFY DOG has a new favorite as of 22:28 on Sep 20, 2017

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Sir Lemming posted:

The last time I was in a K-mart they were definitely playing '90s music.

But then again, it was the '90s.

Went to a K-Mart last Black Friday in a harebrained scheme to avoid the mobs. They were playing Christmas songs like most department stores but they were all instrumentals and seemed to be performed on an outdated 90's era MIDI machine like when you opened up a geocities site. There was also a giant tire-tread skidmark in the main aisle as if a pick-up truck had come through. That K-mart closed 2 months later.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Chicken Doodle posted:

A friend of mine got hired, was told "Oh by the way we hired you for City A but you actually are working in City B (harder and longer to get to) and we'll call you when you have a shift" which turned out to be never.

Why bother lying about where you're going to send someone? They applied for the other place most likely because they can GET to the other place.

In Louisville, Amazon uses an incredibly small temp agency that really only has Amazon as a client. They also placed their fulfillment center across the river in Indiana in a clever attempt to dodge Louisville's taxes. This fulfillment center is probably their busiest and only pays 12 an hour. It costs $4 in tolls to commute there from Kentucky where most of the population lives. They are losing their damned minds.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

A Pinball Wizard posted:

Also JDATE doesn't hold up ten years later, sorry.

Even with the rise of Tindr I can't think of a better Jewish dating site.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Pondex posted:

Gibson guitars are in full 'throw everything at the wall, see what sticks'-mode these days.

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Acoustic-Instruments/2018/J-45-Neon-Green.aspx

For context, Gibson's image is of traditional, impeccable workmanship. And the j-45 is one of their flagships, played by Bob Dylan, Donovan, John Lennon etc. Kind of old-fashioned, but it's a completely classic guitar.

So who, exactly, do they think is going to buy this?

A person who wants a green guitar

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

walrusman posted:

But surely a teenager doesn't have $2500 to buy a green Gibson and will just pick up a $150 laminate top shitbox instead.

The question was who do they think will buy one.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Straight White Shark posted:

Within an hour? I live in a pretty small city and there are two sprawling malls a mile and a half apart on one of the main roads. Surprise! One of them is a ghost town. The other one's struggling a bit but still staying afloat.

If this is Louisville, those two malls are owned by the same loving company. It makes no sense.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

If only there was a long-established legal principle allowing governments to force property owners to sell at a fair-market price when its in the public interest to do so.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Iron Crowned posted:

I went looking for that map of fake regional grocery chains, and found this particularly interesting map instead

Louisville has a Kroger on Lower Brownsboro which is universally known as the Dirty Kroger. When corporate in Cincinnati heard about this they spent millions renovating that location so that its now actually one of the nicer Krogers in the area. It is still known as the dirty Kroger because Louisville is one of those places where rebranding is essentially impossible. Supposedly it was such a big event that if you say Dirty Kroger to this day among the higher-ups at Cincinnati headquarters they immediately know the store you're referring to.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Turbinosamente posted:

You know, I've seen an ad for Quibi but I had absolutely no idea what it was. I thought it was a food app or something but Google says it's "10 minute TV show episodes from your favorite stars." But I'm sure that it's allll coronavirus' fault like Katzenberg said and nothing to do with being yet another short form mobile video platform that no one noticed.

Hey guys remember the bad old days when YouTube used to limit the video upload length to 10 minutes to try and prevent piracy? Even they cut that poo poo out in 2010.

Youtube was a free service. Quibi is paid like Netflix or Hulu. Its supposed to be 10 minute YouTube shows but with traditional media C-listers and high-ish production values all for $8 a month. There was not a venture capitalist in Hollywood who didn't want to get in on this.

EDIT: They also had incredibly stupid policies on sharing because it was run by the RIAA circa 2006.

https://twitter.com/jbillinson/status/1259942508571885578?s=19

https://twitter.com/imadness/status/1260030161006649356?s=19

BIG FLUFFY DOG has a new favorite as of 08:31 on May 12, 2020

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

https://twitter.com/Hello_Tailor/status/1143292605347840000

https://twitter.com/keithcalder/status/1260064302280523778

I want a Fyre Festival-type documentary on Quibi

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Cyril Sneer posted:

As someone who knows nothing about interior design how is Pier 1 any different than all the other housing goods stores? Like, they all seem to sell more or less the same stuff, to my eye anyway. :shrug:

1. Wicker everywhere

2. One of the only places you could still purchase a papasan chair.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

vyst posted:

Honestly, it's been so long since I've seen the show I just knew she wasn't black after reading those replies and assumed they were correct. Either way to my original point she's wearing a doctor jacket in the Funko if it's supposed to be her.

Latino and black aren't mutually exclusive identities. Latino is really a cultiral signifier even though Americans use it to mean mestizo.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Burt Sexual posted:

Sorry if this was posted, but it just read hertz filed bankruptcy. That’s like a staple of car rentals (of the past).

I need to try to keep up w this thread, but so many are going under it’s impossible

It was 50 years in the making but this is a direct result of them having OJ as their spokesman.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Solice Kirsk posted:

Charles Entertainment Cheese is Trump's new chief of staff. Obviously.

Can't believe he'd just betray Grimace like that.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

PhazonLink posted:

Nintendo somehow patch the Gen 3 pokemon games with the GC's GBA link thing. Something called The Berries Glitch that was a time based thing even though Ruby/Sap didnt have a dayday cycle.

Some goon can probably give deets or you can read the wiki.

e: hell I think all those Nintendo events / their Nintendo store also gave out stealth patches??

ruby/sapphire had a day/night cycle that's why they had you set the clock in the beginning. its just only used for umbreon and espeon evolution and eevee doesn't show up in the game without trading from fire red/leaf green. fire red/leaf green do not have a day/night cycle at all so trading eevee to hoenn is necessary to complete the national dex that gen.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

DACK FAYDEN posted:

the clock is also used for berries maturing, thus the berry glitch :goonsay:

(they were actually pretty ingenious about fixing it, adding the patch to Colosseum and such)

that's a calendar system not a day/night cycle. :goonsay:

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Vegetable posted:

HBO Max has probably been the most successful streamer in the past two years. But it’s also not clear how that industry is going to make any money without some kind of major consolidation. I mostly empathize with all the post-merger Discovery decisions so far, tbh.

Why would you merge it into discovery plus instead of the other way around lol. If Hardee’s merged with McDonald’s would you expect all the McDonald’s to rebrand as Hardee’s?

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

kdrudy posted:

Also because Discovery made the actual purchase so they don't want to be the secondary brand.

https://twitter.com/fivepoisonskid/status/1554923137141194753

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

its insane top-to-bottom. You run one of the biggest movie studios in the world, own ips from superman to scooby doo to bugs bunny to lord of the rings, have a big 4 streaming service, the second biggest news network in the US and biggest internationally and say to yourself: you know who we need to put this company on the right track? the guys who brought us cake boss

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

every other tweet about the WB merger is an incredible 30 rock meme

https://twitter.com/BenjaminCrew1/status/1554823559192756225?s=20&t=hBW6lTXqNPMF_ynN0Z7Sew

https://twitter.com/BenjaminCrew1/status/1555042446500823040

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

xarph posted:

Don't forget that AT&T bought Time Warner in a drunken bender and had buyer's remorse within year after their plan of gutting everything but HBO (which merely got slashed to starvation) didn't result in killing Netflix, which is what they actually wanted.

So there was already not much left in terms of prestige assets for Discovery to buy. RIP the Warner Archives, which maybe has a rent-a-cop working the gate, but is otherwise going to go up like the Universal warehouse and take 100 years of movie history with it.

Lol I worked at the place which had a good portion of the Warner archives and rent-a-cop is extremely loving generous

It relied on security through obscurity for most of its “protection” but it was also in the middle of a tourist trap that was advertised on billboards for a good 100 miles on the interstates in all directions.

The underpaid teens who worked the tour went right past it and told everyone that the WB archives were there for a decade until the one an employee who actually looked after it threatened the ceo to get them to stop mentioning all the rare priceless prints that were kept from them by a garage door.

BIG FLUFFY DOG has a new favorite as of 06:39 on Aug 21, 2022

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Vegetable posted:

He could have lived the high life. These things take forever to prosecute. He could have escaped to France or some poo poo like that and be a fugitive art patron dude. So many ways out when you’re rich.

That only works if you’re a French citizen. This guy was Venezuelan. The French would have extradited him for a jaywalking indictment.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Empty Sandwich posted:

a hs friend of mine was working for Twitter but got out before this shitshow.

he had joined the ethics team but didn't stay more than a couple of months iiuc (for reasons that seem obvious)

Ethics at twitter seems like it would be the easiest job in the world.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

He's right Elon's definitely a Lex Luthor mastermind here and not a dude who let success go to his head and made him believe he could do anything without research or listening to people who've been there longer. This is definitely a 44 Billion dollar plot to become well-liked by two groups who both already liked him

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

the billion dollar tweet

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Hmm 3 months pay or getting fired with no pay or unemployment in a week because a guy with 8 followers told Elon it would be funny. Tough choice…

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Lol he thought he would get rid of all the “useless” sales, HR, legal, and mod people while the engineers and designers would be all-in on his hardcore devocracy

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Foxfire_ posted:

What would a "premium park going experience" even be except fewer people/shorter lines?

Having all the rides open on weekdays

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

So if the guy who pushed admission prices sky high has been ousted, does that mean Six Flags ticket prices will actually get cheaper??

*I'm guessing no

Ultimately the guy's plan (trade volume of guest for "quality" of guest, a guest who pays a higher ticket price is also more likely to pay for restaurants and souvenirs etc.) wasn't bad in-of-itself but failed because they didn't actually do anything to make Six Flags more "premium" like build roller coasters or big ticket branded rides or themed areas.

Six Flag's choices are:
1. reverse course and go back to cheap and making their money on volume and all that comes with it (longer lines, less upkeep for rides, lower standards for employees)

or

2. make huge capital investments to make their parks a more premium brand like Disney or Ceder Point.

The first one is less risky but the second one has the potential to be more profitable but obviously just saying "We're going to be as good at this as disney" is much much easier said than done.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Last Chance posted:

drat when did this happen? Haven’t been to a wal mart in a bit

They started going away in 2018-9 because the sales didn’t outweigh the amount of extra shrinkage due to it being just a shoplifters paradise since all the employees were busy with inventory.

Then Covid labor shortage just killed it as it was bleeding out

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

MarcusSA posted:

There probably will be. Vegas is incredibly water efficient

70% of water in places with water crises like arizona and california goes to agriculture. If you just don't grow food its v easy to have enough water

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Duckman2008 posted:

I might be misreading this, but Nintendo sells a poo poo ton of their software? Mario, Zelda, etc etc.

They might mean that there isn't a lot of licensing fees? All the big sellers on Nintendo consoles are games Nintendo developed or technically isn't developed by Nintendo but is from studios they own.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Woolie Wool posted:

It's best if settled, agricultural-industrial civilizations don't live in deserts. There's a reason they stayed away from deserts for 5000 years until they discovered fossil fuels. It's just not going to work. No matter what happens, eventually most of the people in the American west will have to leave.

The faith production is incredible of you manage the to snag desert folklore though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Dollar stores have completely taken over rural America and poorer neighborhood. Their niche is not impulse buys but smaller cheaper Walmart.

Nothing in dollar general is a dollar no. But it’s still much cheaper (and lower quality) than even wal mart