Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

ground floor

what sensitivity should i be using

rates?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Bohemian Nights posted:

please add this vital graph to the OP thanks

gently caress.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

A TURGID FATSO posted:

We all know that T:A will never hold a candle to the original Tribes, but we can all agree that Tribes 2 loving sucked.

Hear hear

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

qhat posted:

*wastes life getting better at game which sucks*

Honestly, I love fighting games, CS, and Quake but at this point I feel like all time put into becoming really good at games is transient at best and a total waste of time at worst. Real hard to put in any practice time or anything without feeling that way now. I think I got old.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

A TURGID FATSO posted:

lol what are you going to do, go have sex or something? pffffft

Absolutely not, but I feel like a musical instrument is like learning a really hard videogame but people appreciate it.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

lonter posted:

One thing I've never gotten the hang of is throwing nades quickly, I mean either switching back to my gun quickly or throwing a new nade quickly. Whats the deal with that? Do I have to rebind stuff so I can access my different nades with one keypress? As it is now I just press 4 multiple times to rotate between my current nades.

1 primary, 2 secondary, 3 knife, 4 flash, 5 smoke, 7 frag, 8 incendiary is probably the easiest layout. You could go Quake-style and bind them to letters on your keyboard too.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

No ff, the rest is the same as tourny rules as far as I know?

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

my fav part of this is the goonpug stutter

or was that shadowplay? cuz that's what goonpugs look like for me after 10 minutes.

Faffel fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Mar 27, 2016

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

dust2 also has a lot of people who have basically just played dust2 for a decade and a half and can't play most other maps, which is boring.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Valve matchmaking sucks cuz its full of people who play Valve games

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

I've got a 5-digit ID and nobody ever bugs me about it. Maybe twice in all my time playing CSGO. Wonder why you're all so popular.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

whodatwhere posted:

Just hopped on casual to see. It is much quieter. Definitely a non-issue in my mind now. But, I still don't really understand the point of it.

I think it the minor non-changes are basically a way to justify releasing a new run of crates and doing very little otherwise. Basically, some patch notes to go with your skins.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Jeza posted:

. Of course in the eyes of the law there is no difference between a billionaire stealing a loaf of bread for shits and giggles, and a desperate person stealing to feed their family.

Eurotrash spotted. In America that fun-having billionaire would be properly sent on his way and that lazy, no-good thief who's trying to feed his family would get strung up and beaten with bats like he rightly deserves.

fyi jeza is right, much like sports your stupid videogame is just that: a stupid game. If some guy wants to earn 5 years of income in his miserable, broke-rear end country for throwing away one bullshit match, good on him and I hope he enjoys college and not playing pro videogames.

Faffel fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jun 19, 2016

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

MF_James posted:

dear lord do not put the famas on burstfire, it is less accurate than if you click it. 1.6 burst was a semi-viable option because it was a loving laser at long range, but dear lord it's awful in GO.

no its not go gently caress yourself pendejo

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Smol posted:

I was maybe DMG before stopping playing, so it's not like I'm that good either. Not sure how the gold nova ranks were affected after all the rank shifts and whatnot, but that was like playing against old silvers. We even won a train game, where one dude in our team didn't know how to buy weapons.

Seriously? Gold Nova 2 mm seems much harder than your average goonman now. Me and my buddy who got to LE together last year are stuck in GE and have been for months. Though we do also make someone on our team abandon almost every game.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Bohemian Nights posted:

If everywhere you go smells like poo poo, it's time to check your shoes

namaste

What does that even mean in the context of what I actually posted

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

exethan posted:

dig needs to replace MSL

did you mean gold master

No I was once a legendary eagle or whatever duo queueing and now get owned so hard I Get angry in the new GN2.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Quote aint edit

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

exethan posted:

you wrote GE and i was confused initially, thinking you meant global elite

Phone posting eats the poopoo

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

MF_James posted:

hint: no one listens to these either, it also requires you to look down at who's saying it/where they are, or up at the minimap to see where it's coming from (I think radio commands still cause your dot to light up?)

People listen to them and it's easy to figure out who's using a command if you pay attention to the round enough to get a feel for what's going on in the round. I've had no issues getting the info I needed to react quickly from people who use voice commands. It's obviously preferable to use a mic, but voice commands work too.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

mcvey posted:

How do you say 'there's two going mid to B and one lurking Xbox' with radio commands?

people don't use their mics for that

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Pomp posted:

you should always play using every advantage you can muster, and doing otherwise is worse than being bad, it's gimping your growth to not bad

I'll get some cheats

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Dongicus posted:

CSGO is a really great game. There's nothing else like it.

It's impressive that a game constantly has me improving and learning all the time, even at my 1.2k hours.

CS is the closest PC gaming has come to being a sport in the sense of a communal game with a set of rules and organization that travels back a respectable amount of time. It's pretty cool, really.

e: leave jump scouting alone jfc i take back what i said gently caress it all and gently caress you valve

Faffel fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Sep 24, 2016

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Demostrs posted:

excuse me, but let me tell you about a little game called starcraft: brood war, a game so popular as an esport that s. korea (the origin country of buns-sama) created a governing organization called kespa to enforce rules like banning match-fixers. also, you forgot about my other favorite esport, cribbage

yeah but its stupid

e: bw i mean, cribbage is dope

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

its stupid because I don't like it, just like everything else

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

This doesn't do you any good if every other mic you have sucks because of line noise. You'd just be impossible to understand and get yelled at. If you don't get any line noise from your PC then you're cool.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Pomp posted:

IT'S A poo poo MAP AND IT SUCKS AND SOUND IS MEANINGLESS

the new Nuke is good and it's easy to tell where people are hth

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

I will say it can be a bitch to figure out where the bomb is, but if you aren't stupid and know the map layout you should generally be able to make a pretty accurate call re: players.

Faffel fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Sep 27, 2016

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Spiros posted:

No, I think we'll remember that the good sound of the AK that has been a part of counterstrike since 1.6 is different and bad. Might even remember it forever.

You think these sounds that are as iconic as the Quake railgun shouldn't be changed or maybe should be in some form preserved? retard

sleppy posted:

I don't play with sound anyway what is the big deal???

if you know the map layout you can reasonably surmise where the enemies are located based on the brief red dots on the radar map combined with the radio commands of your team in the chat box

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

The AK47 was the only gun in CS that sounded like you were shooting a gun, which was cool. It's like Arma 3 after the sound updates; you want earplugs just to hear the poo poo over headphones. It rules. Alas, it's not meant to be. Whatever happened to that hitbox fix that was supposed to be in the beta branch the other week? Did that get implemented or is it still being worked on?

Faffel fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Sep 29, 2016

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Valve is loving up CS's poo poo and making the fans pay for it. It owns.

I wonder when there'll be some kind of thing where they add new maps to the game and you can play those in matchmaking. That'd be cool. It's been like a year since they did that.

E: Oh I forgot that awful time they had Santorini in counted as an operation.

Faffel fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Oct 7, 2016

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

fennesz posted:

Oops! Looks like you're out of Matchmaking Tokens for today! You'll have to wait until 12 PM PST for more. Or you can purchase a package of 10 Matchmaking Tokens for $6.99!

e: jesus h christ i'm drawing comparisons between where valve is now with minimum effort money grabs and where they could easily go in the future. it's not accurate and that's the point. it's an outlandish statement that's supposed to be funny purely because we could have said the same thing about sprays a year ago and, whoops, here we are.

$5 for a token to let you play two more placement matches that day. Get the smurfbux.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

What's up with that quakeworld in my CS gif?

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Luna Was Here posted:

Going back a couple of pages to poker talk, I wouldn't call kassouf the most hated player. I'm of the opinion that the heckling he did and slow turns is a legitimate strategy because you can get under your opponent's skin and it can cause them to make some occasional bad or hasty decisions (you saw shaguar gettin REAL loving mad in that clip) and if he wouldn't have been dealt pocket kings into aces he probably would've done better than shaguar but them's the breaks

Yeah well that's the problem with being an rear end in a top hat in a game where the luck can make you like a total rear end in a top hat based off one turn of cards. Sometimes you look like the rear end in a top hat you are.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Dongicus posted:

By playing the game.

Sorry if that seems unhelpful but I don't know how else to put it!

As fun as it is to read about how to get better at stuff, there's no way to get better without just doing the goddamn poo poo.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9mvXfnY8wU I like this dudes videos. Generally succint and just covering what you actually need to know.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

sterster posted:

Personally I think this is bad advice. Reason being is if you don't understand why you loving bad at something you probably won't get any better. Yes playing and getting punished for it is the classic way people like to say get better. I personally like to have some sort of mentor to actually help. That being said, you can pick one skill at a time to work on. Cross hair placement (everyones sucks), USING YOUR GOD drat HEADPHONES, Angles to hold, nade usage, set executions. Better yet post your demos here so someone can tell you why your bad so you can work on it.

Doesn't matter. It's always easier to take in theory than it is to just practice. I know I like to read and absorb information and will do just that at the expense of real practice (guitar), but usually anything that you can learn just by reading is something you can learn by being attentive while practicing physical skills. Just pay attention to what you're doing and listen to the people who know better than you will take you a gently caress of a lot further than being a person who watches hours of youtube vids and pro games but never just plays the drat game and pays attention to what they're doing. The obvious answer is "you need a balance," but people are lazy and usually tend towards the not actually doing anything side.

Faffel fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Nov 4, 2016

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Famethrowa posted:

I mean, yeah, no one is saying you should just watch videos all day, but I still think most beginner players should definitely err on the side of watching too many videos, just to get a good fundamental basis, before bad habits set in.

It's much easier to learn jigglepeeking, recoil control, and basic map tactics from a video, then trying to learn it on the fly from a frustrated bittervet.

I said just above you that balance is the obvious answer, you ravenous fart-huffer.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Famethrowa posted:

saying "be balanced" literally means nothing and is no help.

I'm pretty it literally means the words that it means, dude. That's how language works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

sterster posted:

I'll go ahead and say it because I got bitches at but you need to remove this info from this thread because it's a private server. Please go to the sub.io thread for the info.

wouldn't wanna risk goonmans coming back to life