Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

You know what? gently caress everything. Let's throw explosives into spinning blades.

It seems like if you were going to do this, using a cinder block or something to tilt the mower would be a better choice than a guy with a protective Darth Vader mask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Dillbag posted:

All this talk about amusement parks and no mention of Action Park?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LY-xgS7K3Xc

The one time I went to Action Park, I rode the Alpine Slide as many times as I could after trying a few other rides. I didn't fly off and get friction burns on my arms, but I did see a couple of people that did.

On one of the water rides, my inner tube got stuck in one of the pools along the path (the current basically made a whirlpool to pull it to the middle) and I had to get off it for a moment to get moving again. Glad I didn't get electrocuted like that one person.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Connor the Conure posted:

But... that's CAT5 :psyduck:

You've never heard of powerline networking?

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

DrBouvenstein posted:

That second one looks like an Alpine Slide:

There's one* near me I went on a few times as a kid. I'm amazed they're still around, since the speed is entirely up to the rider using the "hand brake."

*Edit: Turns out at one point there were three in the state, now all but one are closed.

Yeah, Action Park had one of those. I was only there once, but I seem to remember there were three tracks for it. Either the beginner or expert track is probably curved off somewhere else in that picture.

I rode it a few times unscathed, but I did see some people who got friction burns from flying off it. They did also shut it down when it started raining, and gave everyone stuck on the lift/at the top free tickets.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Sam Hall posted:

What in the gently caress was that kid's plan even

"okay just gonna jam myself in between these two cows here, OUT OF THE WAY STUPID COWS LET ME JAM MYSELF BETWEEN YOU, oh poo poo im jammed between two cows MOM HELP"

From the way he was smacking/elbowing that one cow, I thought maybe he was trying to get between them to take a shortcut and they were too close. But it looks like there's a barrier in front of them, so unless he was going to slide between the bars that doesn't make sense either.

Maybe he was just a jerk that wanted to smack a cow, and the cows decided to make a sandwich out of him.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

gently caress 'em. Although he probably should have left the keys in the ignition and called a taxi instead.

Unless it was his truck and the company's trailer.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

evil_bunnY posted:

Ayup. Even cotton's not the end of the world, it's the retarded synthetics in very light weight grades that'll catch on fire if you look at them wrong.

Years ago, there was a big fire at a mall that I used to go to, started by a cigarette in the fake flower department. Those things apparently went up instantly.

Before that was known though, my uncle (who had no connection to the store or anything) somberly declared that it was because of "all the polyester in there." I guess he was more or less right.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

moist turtleneck posted:

I'm still confused as to why he didn't angle the stairs so they pointed down to the left so there'd be room

I feel like that was the plan but he built the steps first and measured the hole later

I really can't wait for when it's time to sell the house

So, uh, this is the ladder stair case

It goes down to the tv

That's in a Dun-

Geon

I think the top and right (from that angle) sides were against the wall upstairs as well. So if you were to put the ladder there, you'd have to awkwardly climb into the bench and try to step on the ladder from the other side of the hole. So he had the option of a bad dismount, or putting it in a position where you'd be likely to fall off while trying to get on the ladder.

It seems like the hole really should have been somewhere other than a corner, and maybe using one of those folding attic ladders.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

That's not how you play Ice Climber.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Say Nothing posted:

Not osha, I just thought it was a cool machine.

Totally hearing this song as I watch. The part starting at 1:15, if the time embed doesn't work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaC0vNLdLvY&t=75s

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

How come drone car racing isn't a thing? You could go the battlebots route and it'll be :krad:

There's flying drone racing. I almost wonder if it would be possible to hook one up with a stereo camera and VR headset and basically play scale model F-Zero.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Ak Gara posted:

No ones even addressed the issue of how fun alternating-step stairs are!

Although I can't seem to find a video of people failing to walk up them.

I mean, something like these industrial ones seems to make sense if you don't have a lot of horizontal room for stairs but don't want to use a ladder.

But the crazy angles on those stairs is just a hazard, if you get your foot too close to the middle, there's no step there to stand on and you'll go right down.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

HERAK posted:

Also used to back feed mains from a generator to a house during a power cut, or linking porta-cabins. Both situations where there are better and safer ways to do it.

I have one in my house for a generator. Thankfully, I've only had to use it once.

It wasn't really my choice - when I first moved in we had frequent power outages, sometimes for 24 hours at a time. I was going to get a backup generator installed, but my dad decided to surprise me with a cheap generator and a cable to plug it into my dryer outlet. He used to do the same thing with the generator in his motorhome when the power went out in the house (notably during that days-long blackout in the Northeast years ago). And my dad is not the kind of person I can say, "Thanks, but no thanks" to.

The power's been more stable since they cut down most of the overhanging branches, and it would have been tough to screw things up with it since the cable snaked through most of the house and I had to leave the back door open a crack to use it. But still, scary cable and I'm glad I haven't needed to use it.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

MausoleumExtremist posted:

I had lovely a LG phone that would reboot when lightning struck close enough while I was driving.

Do... do you regularly drive through lightning storms?

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

I've lived in NY and Ohio, and the only time I've ever had lightning strike anywhere other than "somewhere on the horizon" was one time when an Arby's got struck by lightning as I was driving past. And I've been driving for 20 years at this point.

The idea of lightning striking nearby often enough to match that up with phone reboots is just weird to me.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Nuevo posted:

Let me tell you, after being mostly on-board with PPE, having a drill bit snap and gouge the lens of your safety glasses makes you an instant true believer. :pray:

A guy at one of our other stores had a removed iPhone battery suddenly inflate and explode, scorching his hand and getting something in his eyes. He recovered by the end of the day, but I went out and bought a pair of goggles to fit over my glasses.

My glasses seem to be enough to deal with the occasional bits of glass we get when removing screens, but I think an exploding battery might be a bit much.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Ceiling fan posted:

Now you're going to have to explain Dutch bicycles. Because American bicycles would only need one ramp to do that.

I feel like the one on the left was put in too close to the wall (seems like there's not enough room for the handlebars & pedals), and they just left it there when they put in the railing and second ramp.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Memento posted:

What gets me about these is that every time something hits this bridge, the idiot driving has to have run a red light to do it.
That light's set to stay red forever if there's an overheight truck waiting, isn't it? I can imagine someone waiting there a while, assuming the light is broken, and just going for it, thinking that the "MUST TURN" sign somehow doesn't apply to them.

But this guy didn't even slow down, and the other side was already green by that point. Even if there hadn't been a bridge there, he could have nailed some car in the intersection. I'd like to see a followup on this one, to see if he had a suspended license or something.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Memento posted:

It's a hire truck, so I assume someone at the hire office looked at his license. Don't you get your license physically taken away if it's suspended?

I don't know how true it is, but in the Youtube comments, somebody said the truck had air brakes, which means you need a CDL to drive it, which means it was probably leased to a company and not a person.

So somebody's about to lose their job.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

ryanbruce posted:

Or that time where I was attempting to repair a camera flash with a (metal) jeweler's screwdriver. That's when I learned how a camera flash uses a huge loving capacitor to fire.

I discovered that when I was taking apart an old disc film camera to see how it worked, and the capacitor's leads touched my hand, causing me to throw it across the room reflexively.

So of course I did the logical thing and built a box to connect it to one of those big 6v lantern batteries (with a power switch and a button so I could activate the flash to discharge it), ran a pair of wires to the capacitor's leads, and attached them to a pair of old extendable TV antennas duct taped to the body of a broken phone's receiver. It eventually got confiscated at school, and as far as I know is still sitting in the back of a closet somewhere, with the wires cut so nobody hurts themselves on it.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

There are a few RiffTrax shorts that might work, Shake Hands with Danger, Live and Learn, and 10 Long Minutes being three I can think of off the top of my head. There may be unriffed versions around (pretty sure Shake Hands with Danger is on YouTube at least), but the riffed ones are cheap enough and also hilarious.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

FuturePastNow posted:

My grandpa told me that you're supposed to honk the horn when you enter a tunnel.

There are a few one lane underpasses near where my wife used to live that have a "honk horn before entering" sign in front. I assume that would probably apply to narrow tunnels too.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Other than the guy spraying on it while it's still moving poo poo around and a distinct lack of guarding to prevent somebody falling off/getting wrecked if the machine kicks one of those out what am I missing?

Spraying/strapping should be done by a machine naturally but this doesn't seem that terrible as far as a manual process goes.

Is it a good idea to do that while it's glowing red-hot? Seems like reaching around/into that would be potentially hazardous...

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

I do cell phone & tablet repair, and usually the worst I get is someone handing me a phone, then telling me it was dropped in the toilet. Plenty of dusty and cruddy ones, but there's not much space in them to hold dead bugs and stuff.

Though I did once find a chunk of Cheeto underneath the LCD on an iPad. I have no idea how they managed that.

Reign Of Pain posted:

The keyboards, mice and the monitors were always the worst to replace when working a deskside gig. You'd get the poo poo from some greasy fatty and it would have buildup on the mouse and keyboard and splatter marks all over the monitor from non-stop eating and zit popping :barf:

My monitors at home constantly have dried crud on them, and for a long time I couldn't figure out how it was happening. Then I noticed my cats would stand on my desk, and either sneeze or shake their heads around and gently spatter them with cat spit. I love my cats, but at the same time, I can't wait until I no longer have cats.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Yawgmoth posted:

The last time The Can Opener™ came up here, someone showed a map of the area showing that there's actually plenty of ways to get around this particular intersection that don't involve going under anything, so it's 100% stupid people incapable of reading signs/paying attention to the road/formulating any detour/not following their GPS like a lemming/etc.

I used to live on Long Island, and would frequently have to drive on the parkways there. They were specifically designed with lower than normal bridges to keep buses off the highway (because Robert Moses was apparently a huge racist who wanted to keep those "urban" types off his beaches) and there are big "No Trucks" signs at every entrance. Despite that, at least once a month there would be a truck wedged under a bridge, and a guy with a low flatbed and a forklift transferring the cargo out of it. Once in a while they'd actually stop before the bridge, and you'd see them parked on the shoulder pondering their next move.

I did always wonder if they didn't see the signs, or if they figured it was just something they'd get a ticket for.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Rad-daddio posted:

This is more fun when you do it with electric hedge trimmers.

I once did that, the cord looped weird and got sliced right through. No damage to me or the hedge trimmer, but I did discover that the outlet next to my front door is linked to the GFCI in the bathroom across the house, and not the one in the kitchen right around the corner. At least it wasn't the one in the crawlspace for the sump pump.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

chitoryu12 posted:

I feel like we've gone too long without talking about Action Park, the most infamously dangerous water park in America. Multiple deaths, underage and undertrained employees, experimental ride designs made by unqualified engineers (including a looping water slide that didn't have an access hatch if you got stuck at the bottom until someone did), and insurance fraud to keep it all going. Still regarded by that generation from New Jersey as a place of wonder and beauty.

I grew up on Long Island, but only went there once for a church group trip (we had Adventureland instead, a low-budget but much safer amusement park).

I must have ridden the Alpine Slide like, five times among the other rides there. And I only saw one guy who flew off his sled and scraped the skin off both forearms. I also remember a tube ride where you'd go down a slide, into a little pool like six times, and the way the pools were designed you'd kind of get stuck in a loop. I had to get off my tube for a moment and get it back by the slide to continue, and I only found out later that somebody died doing that when their foot hit a frayed wire underwater.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Cojawfee posted:

Did someone just barely close the valve on the bottom or something.

ARG for a new Spy Hunter game.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Nerses IV posted:

My favorite fireworks mishap video is one where someone mistakenly bought outdoor fireworks doe use indoors and the room basically becomes a firey, smoke-filled hell in seconds, except there's one middle aged dude sitting in the audience having a grand old time while everyone around him is running for cover

I'm fond of Terry's struggle to put it in reverse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugNn_ELV_xs

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Nuclearmonkee posted:

The guy with the hardhat in there should know better at the very least, regardless of who he works for.

There probably isn't a guy with a hardhat in there, it's just a staircase. That store was just getting a delivery or something, they weren't doing any work.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

kalensc posted:

Whoa, and now I just read this post. :hfive: terror twin.

Triplets. I have no idea why, but it was utterly terrifying.

I do tend to have weird abstract nightmares about impossibly huge objects flying through space and crashing into each other, so there's probably some kind of fear miscalibration that causes that sort of thing.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

In the 90s, there was a fire at the McCrory's in a local mall that killed 2 people and destroyed the store. My aunt's boyfriend declared somberly that it was because of all the polyester.

He was half right - it was a store detective who threw a cigarette into the artificial flowers so he could put out the resulting fire and make himself look good. Which apparently he had done twice before at the same store without serious damage. If I recall, that was in the basement level, which I'm sure did not help.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Uthor posted:

This is the stuff that will cavitate and suck you under in an instant, right?

Yup. That seems to happen when they're emptying the silo and things get stuck, and maybe this one isn't right now, but I wouldn't want to risk dying by corn sinkhole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Some interesting design decisions on the Lemmings remake.