Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Faithless posted:

My dad's got the job of doing the clean up demolition afterwards.

£480K's worth of damage apparently over £600 wages

I'd love to know more about that: I'm guessing that kid having the tantrum has probably screwed over all the people he worked with, directly or indirectly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Hammerite posted:

He's hosed himself over much more than he's hosed anybody else. Even if he avoids jail, he's permanently unemployable after doing something like that.

Not to mention that half a million quid is easily enough to cause an SME building firm to collapse: loving over their employees, contractors and suppliers.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

tactlessbastard posted:

Guess they shouldn't have played games with payroll then.

MF Construction Ltd gets a £500k loss because of the tantrum.
MF Construction Ltd goes into voluntary liquidation.
MF Construction (Liverpool) Ltd starts trading. Director is wife of ex director of MF Construction Ltd.
Liquidators get called in.
Contractors are classed as unsecured creditors.
Tiny Tim goes hungry at christmas.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Private Speech posted:

Either way the main people getting hosed over are the owners, who lose all the stake in the business they had before.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Private Speech posted:

Doesn't seem like they were doing very well in the first place then.

They never do.

And the ones who always suffer are the workers. It's naive to think otherwise.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

coke posted:

The most exciting one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcbFoEcRMR0

and then he got banned from canada and US in the subsequent year when he tried to do it again

Question relating to the spoiler:

What kind of penalty would he have been facing and would it have resulted in his getting deported/banned from visiting again?
i.e. would it have been worth facing it if it meant he could travel there again?

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Now someone calculate how much all those pallets combined cost.

EDIT: Well, nevermind. For some reason I thought pallets were a lot more expensive than they apparently are.

Luckily that company happens to sell them:

https://www.exportaglobal.co.uk/pallets-c6/plastic-pallets-by-use-c7/all-plastic-pallets-c325

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxL0CCzEm7c&t=4s

Shut up Meg fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Mar 7, 2019

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZkAP-CQlhA&t=21s

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Dannywilson posted:

AED Chat: I used one on a coworker when he had a heart attack in the last week of November.

Longest 14 minutes of my life.

Pretty loving awesome thing to do.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Nenonen posted:

My only concern would be the strength of each connection, as there is no standardized locking mechanism for the poles. I wouldn't like to think that they're held together by single zip ties...

Not even zip ties....

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Mozi posted:

if bamboo scaffolding didn't work, that would have been noticed by now

Apparently, the workers prefer bamboo over steel as it has a more organic feel: when a single pole starts to fail, it does so slowly and they can notice and fix it. Whereas steel scaffolding tends to fail catastrophically without warning.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.
Presumably his wife slept with a forklift while he was deployed.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

chitoryu12 posted:

I love the part where the camera detaches and you get that dramatic fall into the water.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrxPuk0JefA

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Jabor posted:

Means you get a twofer on hiding the evidence and disposing of witnesses.

Get the trifecta of not having to pay all those overdue wages to your staff.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffEYqGGYXRk

(sound on for commentary)

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Sagebrush posted:

Supposedly it's an acceptable alternate pronunciation, but I'm not sure I really believe that.

Wikipedia says it is derived from the word 'giant', so perhaps we're the ones getting it wrong?

Memento posted:

I assume back then no one knew how to pronounce "giga"? Was that the story?

Pretty much. Everyone would use 'billion', heck we still do in most non-IT usage.

Christopher Lloyd said he had never heard of the word before BTTF and was simply going on the pronunciation given to him by some science guy he met on the set.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.
Tuesday morning: visited a client. They had a puppy! Everyone should have a puppy in the office. It should be the law. It makes everything better!

Thursday morning: email from client 'oh, the puppy has a parasite that can be transferred to humans and make you poo poo constant hot lava. Hope you're okay. kthxbye'

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPIboTdIYyQ

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

a kitten posted:

Anyway, regarding the CHEP pallets: the thing I don't understand is why there are non-chep, not nearly as rugged, normal rear end pallets that are painted the exact same blue. Like, who are they trying to fool?

You only have to fool the truck driver who is taking 26 empty pallets in exchange for 26 full, CHEP pallets. Throw the odd fake one into that stack and you've made a bit of cash out of him.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeRtIYKj5og

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

spankmeister posted:

Structurally it's probably fine, I'd be very worried about slippage though.
I'm guessing that it's one of those things that feels horribly wrong in your gut, but may actually turn out to be relatively fine

spankmeister posted:

Besides, you never, ever want to work under a jack anyway.

What you talking about? The recommendation is to always use axle stands when you use a jack and he's clearly doing that.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.
An extra treat If you are a Brit of a certain age: all the actors are household faces from very popular TV programmes.

Like all of them.

On the Buses, Poirot, Only Fools and Horses, Are You Being Served, Z Cars.

(Think like Sandford and Son, The Brady Bunch, etc)

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Mustached Demon posted:

You can now adopt a hallway at work to make it phone-walking free. I'm not sure how it works beyond the dorky adopt a highway knockoff posters. Maybe you can safely jump in front of phone-walkers and go BOO?

Do you get a cap or a sash for enforcement?

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.
It's dangerous as gently caress.

That thing will be spinning around at insane speeds and those 3 bits will be doing their best to exit at high speed like shrapnel from a grenade.

They are held in place only by friction, which is dependant on a single screw which has the dual features of a) being constantly vibrated loose and b) having the thread battered every time it cuts anything, increased the chances of a).

Oh, if you hit a hidden nail, the bits will almost certainly shatter and do their shrapnel impressions, only in small, sharper pieces.

E: In theory, if you were to design it so that the bits could not fly out (perhaps make then J-shaped) and used a material that were malleable enough to bend, rather than shatter; then you would have a tool that was merely 'dangerous' as it shudders and jumps across the wood, lunging for your jugular.

Shut up Meg fucked around with this message at 23:03 on May 20, 2019

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

quote:

A driver has been called the "luckiest person in the world" after a tyre came off a lorry and crashed into his car on the M6 motorway.
The tyre detached from an HGV, crossed the central barrier and smashed through the window of the oncoming Peugeot at junction 28, the Leyland interchange.

quote:

Lancashire Road Police Tweeted that the driver's son had wanted to join him in the car but "thankfully was unable to".

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

wilderthanmild posted:

I've always wondered how effective those improvised armored vehicles are. It probably varies a bit by individual builds, but you'd think with how common man portable anti tank weapons are, they'd essentially be useless.

The only video I've see of them actually getting used was a 2015 video of an ISIS mechanized "division" made largely of them. I'm writing from memory, because I can't find the video again, but I think the gist is correct here. In that video they don't appear to be at all effective against the position they assault. The video itself is fascinating and includes the crew panicking and trying to bail out once their vehicle is disabled. At that point you can see the field is filled with other similar vehicles burning, and the crew proceeds to get killed.

It's not really OSHA, but really shows how unsafe the vehicles are, especially with inexperienced crew. The whole thing is a basically a box containing men and a disorganized pile of weapons. At one point one gunner stuns the whole crew by firing an RPG in such a way that the back blast shoots into the compartment.

I'll try again later to find the video.

I got you, bro:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aM3ElTvF52I

(I checked: no death or gore shown)

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

wilderthanmild posted:

Yep, that's it. Thanks for tracking that down!

I went looking for it the other day. I was a bit worried that my search terms would get me on a watchlist, but then I realise that these forums has probably gotten me on lots of them already

chitoryu12 posted:

Ahh, the infamous Abu Hajaar.

I always felt that it was a little unfair to him. Out of the 4 of them, he seemed the most competent.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

chitoryu12 posted:

He still nearly killed them by putting the very edge of his machine gun barrel on the lip of the armor and forgetting that recoil exists.

Yeah, but Abu Abdullah very nearly does that with an RPG, until his colleague warns him.

Then he forgets that back blast exists and flash-fries the interior of the tankette, including the improved rockets with bits of flammable fuse sticking out the top.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

wilderthanmild posted:

If that's the video I'm thinking of, I'm not sure it would have made much a difference. Is it the video where the pull up in a truck, with maybe 10-20 armed gunmen, and then it turns out the target was ready and just dusts the truck end to end with multiple machine guns?

chitoryu12 posted:

Yeah. From what I remember they were planning an ambush from the truck, but the outpost had been tipped off beforehand. So they all just hide and wait for the gunfire to stop, then pop up and rip the truck to shreds.

It's not really appropriate to post here, but I know the one you mean:

They slowly drive their Toyota Hilux through the deep sand, alongside this huge fortification with giant walls, machine gun nests, sandbags and completely and pointlessly get shot and died.

And all I can think is 'Just what were you hoping to acheive here?'

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

zedprime posted:

The lady clearly needs a $250k Italian toilet paper conversion machine that is fed whole lengths of toilet paper rolls and cuts it down to a PLC specified length (so you can slowly incrementally reduce cost while giving the consumer less material for the same price, a soft invisible protection against inflation). All moving parts are contained in a series of cages preventing human body from entering firing lines and high energy zones while still allowing maintenance to reach in and perform PM without a full LOTO. All doors in the cage deenergize the circuits allowing easy single source lockouts for operators to clear jams or maintenance to perform more complex PMs

Or

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

tater_salad posted:

The gently caress is going on here and what's the ignition source?

A kerosene space heater.

Yes. Really.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

chitoryu12 posted:

What would be a potential cause of an oxygen tank explosion? Someone I know had her house burn down last week and they said it was medical oxygen tanks exploding while they slept. I imagine a sealed tank would require quite a lot of heat being applied!

wolrah posted:

AFAIK most injuries/deaths relating to personal medical oxygen supplies are associated with people who just can't give up smoking.

chitoryu12 posted:

They all smoke and knowing the family I’d imagine the place was filled with flammable crap. It happened while they were sleeping.

I don't think I have ever been less surprised in my life.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

chitoryu12 posted:

My question was specifically about tanks exploding as that was the claim they made when asking people for help. I was surprised because I figured a stationary, non-leaky tank suddenly exploding while sitting in a regular house was implausible unless they left it sitting on a hot stove burner overnight.

They don't explode.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rupture_disc

But they can do good impressions of rockets

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ny8DHg5klw

Shut up Meg fucked around with this message at 19:11 on May 31, 2019

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Thanks for that.

Poop really played a much bigger role in the story than the legend suggests.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

haveblue posted:

How do you make the bag stop inflating, stay inflated, and deflate in a controlled manner? It doesn't look safe to have someone in the driver's seat while the car is like that.

I believe you just leave the car running and it has an internal valve that stops it deflating when you pull the hose off:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PL1ST_gZbt4&t=113s

Apparently, they are very good in sand.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.
Is this a competition?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vy9PmSRwG-k&t=128s

(keep listening for the 'creepy' part)

Shut up Meg fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Jun 10, 2019

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

GotLag posted:

I like both reviews on that:

Who the hell reviews a bridge?

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Reign Of Pain posted:

I feel that there needs to be a thread about this

Get on it.

I'll contribute if you do.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Skippy McPants posted:

Learning that high-pressure injection injuries sometimes result in amputation due to infection was enough to make me never want to handle a powerwasher.

You're probably going to want to avoid researching high pressure airline injuries, else you will never inflate your tyres again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnTtb1OFumc