Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

roomforthetuna

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!
Am I a lurker if I sometimes post something in other BYOB threads because I see the title of the thread in the sidebar and find it appealing for whatever reason?
I think the answer now doesn't matter either way, since I have fulfilled the "lurkers must post" obligation if I am a lurker, and there was no prohibition against my posting if I am not a lurker.
Also I like to say lurker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roomforthetuna

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

FluffieDuckie posted:

Welcome occasional lurker! Do you have any favorite pets or felonies?
Is saying lurker a felony somewhere?
I quite like traitoring as a felony, I think there should probably be more of that, since governments are often doing the wrong thing.
I'm not much for pets, but I do like birds or hedgehogs to visit and share some snacks.

roomforthetuna

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

she does have nice spops and head bigs, but i feel like i don't want to tell the vet the name "headbigs"
Our dog is named Lutefisk, my wife is always ashamed to tell people and I always enjoy telling people.

roomforthetuna

I initially thought that the birth date was part of the joke, then I realized that no, I'm just super old.

Good luck okcooping, I met my wife there too, 7 years ago.

roomforthetuna

alnilam posted:

uhh i think it was like 98 lol
I also married a 98% match. She had something about wanting to live on an island in her profile, my opening message was "how do you envision living on an island?" (Because the unrealistic "being brought mai-tais" vision of living on an island is very different from the plausible "solar panels and having to fix your own plumbing" vision.)

roomforthetuna

AverySpecialfriend posted:

Um excuse me...... The sun doesn't show up in the night sky!!!
The toenails, on the other hand, never grow at all.

roomforthetuna

Robot Made of Meat posted:

Ah well. If everyone hates the (totally wonderful) rotating images, who am I to tilt at windmills?
This joke was good. I like tilting windmills too.

roomforthetuna

beer pal posted:

home ownership is a scam
Renting is also a scam. Requiring space to live in is the real scam, everyone should just wear a nice padded sleeping bag with limbs and sleep wherever they are when they get tired.

roomforthetuna

el dorito posted:

I want to retire in a truck with a camper and rent an enclosed garage for tough winters
Just drive somewhere warmer for tough winters. :)

roomforthetuna

ShinyBirdTeeth posted:

There's something slyly subversive in admitting McDonald's food is, secretly, made of robots and lizards.
Why secretly? That should be their slogan!

roomforthetuna

Robot Made of Meat posted:

Can you explain the solution to the Monty Hall problem, and if so why?
I can explain why other people's simple explanations are misleading, which is much more fun.
Because I am not a real human person.

roomforthetuna

Today I learned that there is a real person named Speed Weed who is the co-producer of Arrow and other TV shows.

roomforthetuna

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

I cook with crude iron tools because I don't trust fancy non-stick pans like a furrough-browed mountain person,
I don't mistrust non-stick pans per-se, they're just not as good as crude iron tools.
Assistants seem like the same sort of non-advance, where the progress is slightly worse than sideways from the old way of doing things.
Dishwashers are cool though.
I look forward to the first assistant that has a mobile platform and an arm, so you can have it actually assist with things.
Or the first one someone programs to do your taxes, which seems like it should be an obvious thing for google assistant to do, their stuff can already get in my email and read things, why isn't it reading my tax documents and putting them somewhere appropriate for me?

roomforthetuna

Now it is 1112, the long awaited sequel to 1111. I hope they can keep the pacing as good.

roomforthetuna

Lastgirl posted:

I think the problem with that is that it takes so much time and people don't really have a lot of time to do things these days.
I cook quite a lot. Most things take less time to cook than it would take to drive to a place, place an order, wait for them to bring me food and then drive home. And that's considering the whole cook time - if you only count the actual human-doing-stuff time where you have to be awake and paying attention then you have to be going nuts with something super fancy for it to take longer than even just getting taco bell, unless you live right next door to a taco bell.

Edit: delivery rules though. Nobody delivers to my neighborhood other than using some sort of third-party poo poo.

roomforthetuna

Today I fried baby corn in a chickpea flour batter, which made me think if I fried it in a corn batter like corndogs then it would be corncorn.
I told my wife this and she said it wouldn't be able to hear my jokes though.
I said "why, not corny enough?"
She said "no because it has tiny ears."

roomforthetuna

Does anyone else dislike going out so much that they'll go two weeks eating gradually less and less reasonable or convenient or fresh food based on what seems like it might be a tolerable combination of the (dry/canned/frozen/long shelf life) food that is still in the house?

Today I had tofurky sausages and muffins for dinner.

Tomorrow I might have to make savory buckwheat pancakes stuffed with kale and artichoke hearts and I guess some sort of sauce made of just spices.

roomforthetuna

Manifisto posted:

I really like birbs too and wish that cats were kept almost exclusively as indoor cats. best for all concerned, and darwinism will ensure that the smart mouses and such steer clear of the patrolled areas.
I like to think that birds that get caught by cats are just tired of life and want to end it all. I mean birds have huge peripheral vision and can fly, and can sit on high up things like wires or very thin branches that cats can't walk on, it seems like they could easily avoid cats if they really wanted to.

roomforthetuna

Today I have mostly been playing LA Noire. It's pretty good. I like that you can be not very good at things and then you kind of win but not as much of a win as if you were good at things.

roomforthetuna

albany academy posted:

I use the bathrooms that are reserved for guests only, they're nicer and private. It's also somehow pretty satisfying knowing that I might have some part to play in the repeated emails to the whole company about how they're supposed to be for guests only.
Seems reasonable, you don't live at work, and you are there, that makes you a guest.

roomforthetuna

alnilam posted:

I really want to try curling some time
I like curling up in bed with a good book.
But it's awkward later when I want to sleep and the bed is full of ice and brooms and rocks with handles.

roomforthetuna

Today I am quite impressed with the results of this "modify your picture to look other-gender" thing (unfortunately requires a Facebook login and a face-front picture to try it). I was expecting the usual lovely sort of thing where it either doesn't look like the original picture, or just looks like the original picture with makeup on, but it did a great job on my picture of looking female while still being totally recognizable as based on the same picture - same expression, same hair-style but longer, same eyebrows, same face-lines, same shadows, but I wouldn't question it was a picture of a woman if I saw it with no context.

I also tried having it change a picture of my wife to female to see what sort of nonsense it would overdo, and it pretty much did nothing at all to her picture (just the standard vaseline-lens filter and a change of scale), which I think is a sign of it being unusually good at the task. I haven't tried out its female-to-male algorithm yet though.

roomforthetuna

Who would have though buying a backpack that's not a complete POS would be so complicated and expensive?
The xkcd guy.
Other things it's surprisingly difficult to buy a good one of: a spatula. A kitchen knife. A padlock.

roomforthetuna

funmanguy posted:

e: the only good use i have found for Almond Milk is as coffee creamer/sweetener all in one.
Coconut is better for this. Actual coconut milk that comes in a can though, not the lovely kind of coconut milk that is the same as almond milk that's basically just water and white.

I just finished eating a delicious vegan cheesecake. My wife insisted on eating half of it even though she could have just eaten an ordinary cheesecake.

roomforthetuna

Today our dishwasher finally gave up the ghost, after months of having to be Fonzed to get it to start a cycle. We considered getting it fixed, but a repair person charges like $200 to show up, and then parts, and a new dishwasher with warranty and junk costs $300, so we're part of disposable culture now. Buying a dishwasher sucks too though.

This has been the story of a ruined weekend day.

(Edit: also tried opening it up ourselves for fixing, but all the switches we could find were activating properly, so meh.)

roomforthetuna

So I watched the first two episodes of Altered Carbon. It's kind of like a live action serious Futurama, only not as good as that sounds. I dunno if it deserves a thread.
I'm four episodes in, I think. It got a bit less slow-and-dragging after the first couple. After four episodes I watched the new Blade Runner, because it seemed like they'd be similar and I wanted to be able to say which was better. In my opinion it is Altered Carbon that is better.

Also my new dishwasher is better than the old one, so at least all that effort wasn't just to stay in place.

I like comparing things.

roomforthetuna

Barking Gecko posted:

I am now accepting suggestions on how to celebrate this momentous event. Frivolous, impractical, and very yob ideas are most welcome, of course.
Buy the neighbor's house!

roomforthetuna

spectres of autism posted:

a fort castle desk would Be the best though
A fart castle desk?! Oh, no. :(

roomforthetuna

I too don't smoke a weed, mostly because it would be more effort than not smoking a weed.
I'm already perpetually lazy and craving snacks and finding things funny, so what would it even do?

roomforthetuna

DavidAlltheTime posted:

You ever see a pair of pants packed with dirt and plants growing in them?
PlantsPants™.

roomforthetuna

We got hail here in sunny California 3 times this week. I wonder if the snow on the hilltops we could see was actually also hail on the hilltops.

roomforthetuna

FluffieDuckie posted:

Also clearly the only solution to running out of clean underwear is to buy more
Or wear less.

roomforthetuna

Moths aren't friendly like Borises though.
I don't know what these guys actually are, I mean I know they're grasshoppers, but I called one Boris because it was following me around and riding on my shoe, so now they're Borises.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

roomforthetuna

Why would anyone try to remake Lost in Space? You can't possibly reach the pinnacle that is that wacky pedo and a flailing-arms robot with modern cinematic technology.

roomforthetuna

Who What Now posted:

Hey BYOB. Do you want have no talent? Do you want to make nice art despite having no talent? Do you want to show those smug assholes in GBS that they can suck BYOB dick?
My wife and I did "Northern Lights", using Sketchpad. I mostly used the fur tool, because it was the only tool I could get to not look like crap. (Or to look more like stylized deliberate crap.)

roomforthetuna

Red and yellow bird: I was NEVER HERE... never here... never here...
Green guy in the background: what the... where did he go?

roomforthetuna

Today and last night I have mostly been doing a puzzle-hunt, like the MIT puzzle hunt kind of thing. The puzzles are hard, but I'm mostly amazed by the idea of making these puzzles. How the gently caress does someone make a 6x14 grid out of fourteen six letter words, in which also you can make 7 chains of other words (3 words, each of 4 or more letters, per chain) on the other axis / diagonally such that all but 8 letters are used by the words on the other axis, and then also the single letters positionally preceding the start of each of those chains can be combined to make another word. How did they do that? It's not like it's something where you can iterate gradually closer, like you have the word BUNSEN but you need something else where the B is so you're like oh I'll just change that to GUNSEN then. Is the puzzle creator some sort of alien mastermind?

roomforthetuna

alnilam posted:

today i am going to drink beer and fish
That does not sound like a good mix, but I suppose drinking vodka and an olive sounded bad too the first time.

roomforthetuna

Beet Wagon posted:

I'm making a huge batch of pierogies today to pop in my freezer for dinner this week. It's strangely super relaxing.
I always find making a big batch of foods stressful because I'm immediately worried that the batch is not going to be big enough and I'm just going to eat it all like a pacman.
Edit: and then I calm down by doing some stress eating and oh no. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roomforthetuna

Yesterday I made some spinach dip from a recipe, while my wife was cleaning the kitchen. I told her she had to stop cleaning now because the recipe says we have to chill for two hours.