Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Phylodox posted:

It's the next logical step: reboot the series before the last movie.

Well actually, yeah. This is evidently a 'soft' reboot, which is standard procedure for comic-book franchises.

Create a movie that functions as a sequel to spiderman 3, but that also leaves open the possibility of an eventual crossover with the new spiderman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Man Of Steel does acknowledge the internet. It just says 'gently caress bloggers', which is something I can get behind.

Another good example is Kick rear end 1.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Sir Kodiak posted:

In general, sure, but the implication is 'gently caress bloggers' in contrast to, like, mainstream print newspapers, which is like, what?

Although I'm sure there is one, I don't actually recall even seeing a newspaper in Man Of Steel. The Daily Planet could be a mostly-online publication for all we know. It's entirely about the journalistic integrity.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Boob Marley posted:

le sigh...

Only comparing the two big Cinematic Universes here.
Nolan's trilogy got wiped out with the advent of Batfleck and none of its glory counts towards the current universe.

By the same token, I don't have all the Marvel flicks made by Sony and Fox. Does this make sense to you? I'm not comparing all comic movies of all time from Marvel and DC, just two the official "universes" helmed by their respective, official studios.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
I didn't intend for it to happen, but my adjusted chart reveals that rotten-tomatoe and imdb scores are effectively random.

They are useless for the purpose of directing me to a quality film.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

DeimosRising posted:

At first I was like, no way can Ant Man and Iron Man 3 be that bad, Age of Ultron was insanely terrible. That question mark just doesn't stand out. I'm saying your 30 second mspaint graph lacks visual rigor.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
What if I told you that all these films exist in the same universe.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
You've put Amazing Spiderman and Regular Spiderman in the same universe, and now both Spidermen are dead because of the Timecop rules.

You've killed Spiderman.

Also Xmen Firstclass.
And the Fantastic Fours.
Plus Iron Man 1 with the original Rhodey. That's a universe.
Xmen Origins Wolverine.
Multiple metal guys. (The one from Deadpool.)
You better believe that Incredible Hulk's a universe.

All these characters are dead.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Jutsuka posted:

Taking a closer look at the screen where Thunderbolt Ross is showing the clips from previous films the canon deathtoll is as follows:

The Avengers
Overall losses $18.8 billion, 74 casualties.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier
Overall losses $2.8 billion, 23 casualties.

Avengers: Age of Ultron
Overall losses $474 billion, 177 casualties.

So in three films depicting an alien invasion of New York led by an Asgardian god, three helicarriers crashing in the middle of Washington D.C. and a rogue A.I. intent on engineering an extinction level event the total loss of life is 274 people.

Haha. Jesus Christ.

But, actually, this makes sense if you read it as the number of deaths for which the Avengers were found personally responsible.

Like, straight-up negligent homicide kind of stuff.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

HIJK posted:

Steve Rogers is always right because he's always on the side of freedom. Tony Stark is the frightened reactionary trying to get control of an uncontrollable situation.

I'm sure Tony will have good points but will bungle his execution, as per usual for his character and Marvel's flailing attempts to make shades of moral gray.

The whole "Tony Stark has the emotional, human motives" thing, translated from Marketing to English, means "we finally figured out the concept of a sympathetic villain in a movie."

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Mar 11, 2016

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Nuclear Strike In London
Five Dead, Dozens Injured

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
The beauty of the Watchmen movie is that it predicted Marvel Studios.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

CountFosco posted:

The tone is completely flat, there's no energy, everything about it just screams perfunctory and arbitrary. It's gross.

With some trailers, fans will talk almost exclusively about things like the characters' costumes while pinpointing comicbook references ("Spiderman's mask has smaller eyes!" "Antman rides an arrow!").

With other trailers, fans talk almost exclusively about things like aesthetics and morality ("Superman promotes the wrong ideology!" "It's too 'realistic'!").

Boob Marley posted:

I have never been rattled harder by anything in my life than this comment. Good god.

Took out the freshness column since that triggers people.

Christ almighty.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Comic books are not fun.

Iron Man is not a fun movie.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Iron Man is a dead-serious, moralistic movie about the consequences of fun.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Remember how the latest Captain America movie ended with him bloodied and repeatedly struck in the face with a metal fist, allowing himself to be beaten to death by a robot sporting the face of his dead best friend?

Good times.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

CelticPredator posted:

Sometimes movies have dramatic moments.

The entire movie is like that. Remember that fun scene where Steve's ex-crush has the alzheimers?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

LesterGroans posted:

I was gonna say Anthony Mackie, but then I remembered he ran like group therapy for veterans with PTSD.

Exactly. All these MCU movies (save for Cap 1) are about horribly depressed people who make jokes in order to deal with the fact that everything sucks and there's no hope.

"I got low. I didn't see an end, so I put a bullet in my mouth..."

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

CelticPredator posted:

And then he smacks a flamboyant god around like a ragdoll.

That's not hope. That's jokes.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

I am expressing a simple distinction between hope in the face of crushing despair, and jokes that distract from crushing despair.

That's why one of the most fun superhero battles is the one between Faora and armyman Chris Meloni. "A good death is its own reward" vs, I don't know, making a reference to Galaga aboard your depressing clinical death fortress.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Soggy Cereal posted:

I love this. I think this is why I like these movies so much.

Like, I enjoy Marvel movies and DC movies but for different reasons, but I can't quite articulate what those reasons are. It certainly isn't that Marvel movies are more "fun" in the sense that they're less heavy. They're more fun in that they have more jokes and pop culture refs in them.

The issue is that, if you're looking for actual comic-book lightheartedness, you need to look to Man Of Steel.

Lois Lane, dogged and adventurous photojournalist, is the sort of concept that's totally alien to the Marvel Studio films. Concepts like integrity don't fit in a world where everyone is either dangerously misguided or a rube ready to be exploited.

As another contrast, the verisimilitude of the Dark Knight films (which are, of course, much more absurd and humorous than gripey fans tend to recall) allowed them to function as satires. There's none of this dour "it's all fun and games until..." chastisement.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Mar 12, 2016

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Boob Marley posted:

All this talk about McWeeny's stuff being debunked as fake and gay rumors and yet not a single source.

I love knowing that while BvS is in theaters so many of you will be white-knuckling it through every line of cliche, contrived dialogue, and every moment of awkwardly forced tension doing mental gymnastics to convince yourself that it is great.

Read any good books lately?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Lumpy the Cook posted:

When there are thousands of Americans clamoring for political and/or racially motivated war, It seems extremely irresponsible, at best, to broadcast giant letters saying AMERICA CIVIL WAR to filmgoers.

Nah; the actually irresponsible thing is this "we designed it so that it's deliberately unclear who's right" deal - as if such obfuscation is a good thing.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Mar 13, 2016

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

I said come in! posted:

I'm the only person in the entire world that liked this movie.

Plenty of people liked the movie. It's just a loving trash fire.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Scyantific posted:

I'm not sure if he knows what collateral damage really means; the stuff that happened in Episode VII was intentional.

Plotwise, the Star Wars baddies' targets were highly specific:

"This fierce machine which you have built, upon which we stand, will bring an end to the Senate! To their cherished fleet!"

The billions of other casualties were, in fact, 'collateral damage' with no real bearing on the plot.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

HorseRenoir posted:

I think the main point he's conveying is that no one actually cares about lethality and destruction in blockbuster films, they just want the filmmakers to let them know that they can feel good about it.

Many would prefer a movie to be 'awesome' in the "dude!" sense, as opposed to the original terrifying sense.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

net cafe scandal posted:

I havent watched BVS and probly wont in theaters because Im incredibly poor but I have a feeling I would like it.

I'd recommend holding out for the director's cut, if at all. It's a good film that got hacked to bits by the studio.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Doflamingo posted:

What the hell? That movie needed to be even shorter, not longer.

A movie feeling overlong is a result of bad editing, not the runtime itself.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Maxwell Lord posted:

See I knew about the "R-rated" cut being planned but I figured that'd just be a minute's worth of footage at best- did they actually cut a bunch of story/character stuff too?

When it comes down to it, all "tone" debates aside my big problem with MoS was it felt overstuffed and the stuff you needed for the plot to work left less room for other things, so it's a shame if they couldn't lick that issue. Such is blockbuster filmmaking I suppose.

The studio "got nervous" at the 3-hour runtime, and Snyder didn't have the clout to oppose the relatively last-minute edits.

They apparently cut it to focus almost exclusively on the Batman/Superman fight in the title, removing focus from side characters whose ideas are actually influencing the battle. A crucial scene at the start, showing how Superman actually operates as a hero now that the world knows about him - and how Lois works as his sidekick - is specifically mentioned as being both longer and different. In general, Snyder says lots of ideas were left 'unfinished'.

Snyder compares his version to the Watchmen Director's Cut (which is way superior to the decent theatrical), and Darko (who had a small role working on the film) compares it to the Kingdom Of Heaven DC - which is often held up as the biggest examples of a director's cut redeeming a butchered film.

Having seen the studio cut, I can pretty much confirm this. For the first twenty minutes, it's the best superhero film ever - but things started getting choppy. Big chunks in the middle are blatantly cut down to just bare exposition explaining why the fight scenes are happening. It's a testament to Snyder's skill as a director that this version works at all. But it's basically a series of cool short films, intercut with narration.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Squinty posted:

Unless WB promised him 3 hours and pulled the rug at the last minute, there's no way Snyder actually expected they'd let him release a cut that long into theaters. You aim for 120 minutes and you're ecstatic if the studio lets you go over. If he couldn't come up with a coherent edit, that sounds more like a failure of planning than studio meddling.

You're right; Snyder made a deal to let the studio do whatever they wanted with the theatrical release, as long as he got the final cut on the dvd.

"I don’t wanna say I was in a battle with the studio but I was probably more headstrong on that movie because the material was so important to me. And then they promised me that they would make this director’s cut and that was where the deal was made. I was like, ‘okay, I’ll get you [the time you want].’"

So the dvd version was always intended as the 'real' version.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Doflamingo posted:

Excuses. The studio cut is all we have to go on right now and by all accounts it's poo poo. The director's cut might elevate it somewhat but it's not going to suddenly turn into this remarkable work of art. Most people aren't going to be exposed to that cut anyway.

Actually, it's a pretty good movie. I saw it.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Doflamingo posted:

I don't see how anyone can like a laughably useless Lois Lane, Batman acting like a rampaging idiot and Superman being the soggiest noodle ever

Then sit, friend - and listen!

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Shageletic posted:

Isn't BvS making like all the money right now?

Yes but it's a whopping 16.5% lower than the spergometer's top score.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

ImpAtom posted:

I'm sure it's going to be a success. I doubt it will have THAT huge a dropoff. At best it's the difference between a big success and a huge success.

I've said it before but I'm sure we're going to hear a lot about it once Civil War comes out because (tedious or not) it's the big competitor to BvS. If Civil War significantly outperforms BvS then you're going to hear a lot of commentary about that particular result and same vice-versa. I doubt either film will do poorly and mostly it's going to be more fodder for the tedious inter-company slapfights.

Civil War will absolutely make more money. That's not even in question. It will get 'better reviews' as well, as no-one will deride or praise it as passionately.

It's a Spiderman prequel on top of sequelizing like six other franchises. The one factor against it might be if Age Of Ultron's mediocrity has cooled enthusiasm for the Avengers franchise aspect, but even that's highly unlikely.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

They called the fourth Iron Man film Iron Man Three.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Steve2911 posted:

The only thing? They're doing the teamup movie before introducing the team.

What if the team-up movie... is the introduction.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Rough Lobster posted:

Who wins in a fight, Martian Manhunter or the Vision?

Whoever wins, we lose.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Wonder Woman's going to be dope because it's obviously inspired by propaganda posters of the time.

I hope the villain is a massive baboon wearing a Prussian helmet with "MILITARISM" written on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Guy A. Person posted:

poo poo's just weird honestly. The budget was 250 mil and it is going to clear 700 mil internationally over the weekend. That seems like a moderate success but at the same time if it totally bottoms out from here that puts it in roughly the same spot as ASM2 which was considered such a disappointment that Sony cancelled their franchise plans and went groveling to Marvel. Then obviously as people have said there's merchandising but I'm sure there were studio projections which it would still be super bad to miss by too much. I also don't know how marketing cost factors into all of this (is it included in budget traditionally?) Certainly missing expectations is still a huge deal when you are planning this to be a decades long franchise starter.

The main problem here is that this notion of a 'franchise starter' is total bullshit.

With Spiderman, the Sony people were vying to create a 'shared universe' around Andrew Garfield: Garfield's villains, Garfield's dad, Garfield's aunt, etc. There was this presumption that Garfield 2 would be a megahit, and enthusiasm for it would carry over into all these other projects. They bought into the 'franchise starter' concept, and it was a bad gamble.

Dawn Of Justice doesn't do that. The franchise has already started with the Dark Knight films and Man Of Steel (which is, obviously, modeled after the Dark Knight films). In this context, Dawn Of Justice is a very minor film - which might seem like an odd thing to say, but there you there you have it. It's Dark Knight 5 or 6, depending on how you count these things. Wonder Woman's got hype and Suicide Squad's got Will Smith. They're going to do just fine.

Now, if you go back and look at the Marvel Studios films, the 'franchise starter' was Iron Man 1, and they followed that up with the loving Hulk 2 (retroactively incorporating Ang Lee's Hulk in the process).

So, line up the series:

Hulk -> Iron Man -> Hulk 2 -> Iron Man 2 -> Thor -> Captain America.

Dark Knight series -> Man Of Steel -> BVS -> Suicide Squad -> Wonder Woman -> Aquaman(?).

In terms of its placement, Batman V Superman is the Hulk 2 of the 'DCU' - and is, obviously, both a better film and far more of a hit. And there's simply no way that Suicide Squad is worse than Iron Man 2.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Apr 3, 2016

• Locked thread