Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
So the standard line of attack I keep hearing about the ACA is that it's the individual mandate that's the devil incarnate.

Except the only other feasible alternative to an individual mandate is to have it funded via taxes, right? Which is effectively the same, just branded differently, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Tobermory posted:

Funding it with taxes is not the same, it's a whole lot worse.

Aside from flattening the insurance rates, the big point of the individual mandate is to make sure that everyone has insurance. People with no health insurance don't go to doctors regularly because they can't afford it. No routine checkups, no preventative care, no early detection of problems. They tend to put off all health care until they suddenly have an emergency that's impossible to ignore. Then the total costs for emergency health care are higher than the total costs would have been for preventative care, in much the same way that it's cheaper to routinely change the oil on a car instead of waiting for it to fail and then repairing the engine. Because people with no insurance can't afford emergency health care any more than they can afford routine checkups, the government ends up paying for the emergencies anyway.

So effectively, we're already funding emergency care via taxes. The goal of the mandate is to replace emergency care with basic ongoing care; not only is it cheaper, but it's a hell of a lot better for the people involved.

Thank you for this - I appreciate having the distinction pointed out.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Scott Forstall posted:

The only thing I can think Romney can do tomorrow that would actually change anything would be to give Trump the keys to the Republican Party and announce the formation of a new Conservative Party. They created a monster and there's no way to recover the GOP so let trump have it. The Party is dead, long live the Party, in effect. Let everyone have the choice to line up behind Trump Nativism or Romney/Ryan/Sasse/etc Conservatism.

I don't think they would do this because it effectively guarantees that they couldn't win the Presidency.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Scott Forstall posted:

Of course they would lose, but if they can give "true conservatives" an option, they can build for 2020. As they are now (tied to the gop), they have to say poo poo like Paul Ryan when he said Trump is terrible but Ryan would still support the nominee.

Trump wants to be the leader of the party? Let him. He's been threatening a third party run? Beat him to it. The GOP is already a garbage fire. If they magically out-maneuver Trump and wrestle control away from him, congratulations they have their toxic party back and they'll be shut out of the White House for a long time.

Anything else is a lovely half measure. Ooh, attack him on his taxes or his rhetoric or any of the hundred other things he's already swatted away. Ooh, let's burn another $100 million in ads, that have already shown to be thoroughly ineffective.

Their only serious chance to take control and unify the #nevertrump people is to start a new party. I'll be interested to see what Romney says today, but if it's just another lecture from the GOPe, no fucks will be given, they'll look like children, and Trump will be the Republican standard bearer.

It'd be a stunning reversal if their desperation for the White House drove the GOP to accelerationism.

Reverse accelerationism?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I hope this isn't too off-topic, but I think we've lost the old US History thread.

What was Barry Goldwater's platform that was so ... extremist or purely ideological?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Radish posted:

ratfucking Trump.

It's not even really ratfucking if they're outright announcing it. The CREEP Nixonites that sabotaged Muskie's campaign did it by falsifying missives with the Senators letterhead.

This is just loving with Trump, period.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Jimbozig posted:

I don't understand how they expect this brokered convention to work. Let's say Trump gets 45%, Cruz 25%, Rubio 20%, Kasich 10%. I can see how they could count on Rubio and Kasich's delegates to fall in line behind Rubio/Romney/Ryan or whatever GOPe stooge. But why would they expect Cruz's delegates to do the same once they are unbound?

I'm thinking they don't actually have a plan, they're just repeated "brokered convention" over and over as the only other thing that might stop Trump without actually putting together how that's going to be accomplished.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Maoist Pussy posted:

Rank and File Republicans Tell Party Elites: We’re Sticking With Donald Trump

USPol Apr - I want to see Trump do damage to the Republican Party

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Quandary posted:

I was watching House of Cards today and realized that if there was a tv show that had a plot of this election season, I'd be pretty annoyed by the lack of realism.

I haven't really been able to enjoy House of Cards since season 2 because the plot is just downright weaksauce compared to real life.

Like, someone flipping Underwood the bird for sky high gas prices is literally oppositeofreality.jpg

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Lotka Volterra posted:

This is never going to happen.

I mean hasn't Obama been telling Republicans to go gently caress themselves for over a year now?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

The Iron Rose posted:

First Past the Post is a fantastic system far superior to proportional representation. It encourages and promotes moderate politicians and moderate policy shifts. It's certainly less democratic, though it's not illiberal by any means. An acceptable sacrifice in my opinion.

Noted moderate legislative body the 114th United States Congress.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Antti posted:

How many first past the post systems has the US imposed on other countries after occupation, again? Like Iraq and Japan? How many presidential systems?

The Philippines has a FPTP and Presidential system modeled against the US.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Antti posted:

poo poo. I can't find any details on the insular government so I'll grant you this.

Really the point I was going for in a glib way was that FPTP only seems to exist in various countries out of institutional inertia. And FPTP and the presidential system is not why the US has enjoyed relative constitutional stability (please ignore the Civil War and the preceding crises), it's because the US has lots of institutional advantages so that it has managed despite the system's problems.

Most countries don't have the super-judiciary either, although I think the SCOTUS's role is emphasized because it can solve political deadlocks that are caused by the divided branches system.

For what it's worth, I agree with you, and I'd be willing to say that the Philippines' inheritance of the US FPTP+Presidential system is an outlier because of the particular circumstances regarding their colony/colonizer relationship, which is quite different from what they did to, say, Iraq, but you'd be Fishmechily wrong to say that the US never imposed its own Constitution on any of its "liberated" countries.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

McCloud posted:

How big is it that Michigan is going for Sanders? The reddit echo chamber is going full tilt trying to spin this as Bernie actually having a chance, but does it change anything? How were the delegates proportioned?

CNN had a rare moment of insight and clarity when they said that for all the wins that Sanders is racking up, the fact that some of these states are proportional means that he needs to win states by 60-40 margins instead of sub-5% margins if he's going to stand a chance, because he's not going to convince any superdelegates to jump ship if they head into the convention behind in pledged delegates, or even if he draws parity.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Do all of the Dem primaries reward delegates proportionally? I know some of the GOP primaries are winner-take-all but I don't know if that's the case for the Democrats.

A quick google says all of the Dem primaries are proportional.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

UIApplication posted:

Can someone explain "poll unskewing" for me? I wasn't plugged into D&D for 2012.

There was a theory that there were actually more conservative voters than "mainstream" polling indicated, either because of an unintentional flaw in the polling models, or because the mainstream pollsters were deliberately manipulating the media to make the Dems look good.

So someone put up an unskewed polls website, which took existing polls, shifted them several points towards the GOP, and then called those the real/actual numbers.

It was complete bullshit, but it was amusing for how utterly deluded they made the conservative pundits look.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Potato Salad posted:

Posters like Bi Now Gay Later and others are convinced that youth turnout is a joke for this election season. Are they objectively wrong?

This last primary was an outlier because "youth turnout is joke" has been true every other time.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
TBF I wouldn't attend Nancy Reagan's funeral over SXSW either.

Tempest_56 posted:

And this is what kills Bernie's chances. Right now, superdelegates aside, Bernie's down by 218 delegates. There's 2730 left (697 in the next week) - to even tie he needs 54% of the remaining votes. To overcome the gap in the superdelegates, he needs to grab 70.4% of the remaining delegates. Just to tie. Considering how he's getting blown out in the southern states, that's an extremely high bar and unless he can land some big wins in places like Florida, Ohio and NY in the next few weeks he's going to be in too deep a hole to climb out of.

I don't think Sanders needs to tie after superdelegates are factored in, since the superdelegates are going to jump to back a winning candidate, but he at least needs to do better than tie before superdelegates to make a compelling case for himself, and that's still a very formidable task even if he doesn't necessarily need 70/30 blowouts.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Koirhor posted:

What I have learned today is 100 years from now tobacco will be hailed to cure all sorta of illness.

Execute all retards let humanity move forward

Tobacco was already being claimed as a cure-all about half a century ago, but you're right that we're due for it to be in vogue again as a panacea.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Popular Thug Drink posted:

i was just saying that, given how many other risky food products are permitted, there's no particular reason why raw milk should be singled out for a ban. it's not appreciably more dangerous than other things which are legal - i can go buy enough alcohol to kill myself for like $20, right now. that being said, i understand why some jurisdictions ban alcohol sales, even if i dont agree with it

e: drat, 140 americans died of food poisoning related to dairy in a decade. 2000 americans die from alcohol poisoning every year. yeah i really don't see why raw milk is an extremely dangerous thing that needs to be banned

Banning alcohol is banning alcohol. Banning raw milk still leaves the populace with access to milk.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

spoon daddy posted:

In other news. A pretty good analysis of Obama's Foreign Policy. I'm not a fan of Jeffrey Goldberg's blogging but every so often his long form writing is compelling.

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2016/04/the-obama-doctrine/471525/

edit: and the Dark Knight reference just reinforces for me how culturally in touch Obama is.

This is a super pro-click BTW

quote:

“isis is not an existential threat to the United States,” [Obama] told me in one of these conversations. “Climate change is a potential existential threat to the entire world if we don’t do something about it.” Obama explained that climate change worries him in particular because “it is a political problem perfectly designed to repel government intervention. It involves every single country, and it is a comparatively slow-moving emergency, so there is always something seemingly more urgent on the agenda.”

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Talmonis posted:

They (and the rest of Scandinavia) are extremely homogenous.

Homogenization doesn't actually make the milk any safer though, it's to prevent the cream from rising to the surface.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Does Ted Cruz have a sex tape?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

eNeMeE posted:

...please travel back in time to before you put that idea in my head and then kill yourself. I don't care if it ends the universe, just make it not happen!

Don't blame me, it's YCS that's insinuating it

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

VirtualStranger posted:

Within the last couple of weeks, The Clinton v. Trump polls all have her winning by double-digit popular vote margins, and the Sanders v. Trump polls are forecasting an electoral blowout that hasn't been seen since Walter Mondale.

What is the real chance that the Dems retake the Senate or the House if Trump is at the top of the GOP ticket? Every Republican up for election in a swing state must be sweating uncontrollably when they look at polls like that.

What was the makeup of Congress like before and after the LBJ v Goldwater bout, and same with the Mondale v Reagan debacle?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

CelestialScribe posted:

You guys shouldn't be so arrogant that Hillary will defeat Trump in a general election. He could easily win.

He could win insofar as it's not a literal physical impossibility that he might do so, but "easily" is not a qualifier I would apply to Trump's chances.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

CelestialScribe posted:

Trump softens the rhetoric.

I feel like this is one of those "Any Day Now" things.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Zeroisanumber posted:

I remember on his visit to Africa last year that he said he could run and probably win a third term if the Constitution allowed it. At the time, I didn't think that was true, but after this primary season it definitely is.

Would Sanders supporters be more or less likely to vote for Obama instead of Clinton?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Wasn't erasing racist culture by Federal brute force the objective of Reconstruction in the first place?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

deadly_pudding posted:

"Guys, no, when you exclude a group on the basis that they are being colossally toxic, hateful assholes, it is actually YOU who are the colossally toxic, hateful rear end in a top hat!"
- like half this thread

It's like that "why won't you tolerate my intolerance!" bit you get from right-wingers.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Business Gorillas posted:

looking forward to all the tut-tutting about how primary chat needs to be in YCS since someone said something other than "look at how stupid all of these bernie supporters are :smug:"

Primary chat isn't for much longer in this world anyway, what with Sanders having a fork stuck in him as of today.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

gohmak posted:

Here is the video not just the audio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9xSVzdUNqo

This is an incredible pro-tier click

"if you look at something called velocity of money, you guys know what it is, I presume" - Asher Edelman, to CNBC hosts, while endorsing Bernie Sanders

:vince: :pusheen:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Zelder posted:

trans ambassador sounds like a cool job and i'd love it on my resume

A position previously held by Shia LeBeouf, and later handed over to Mark Wahlberg

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I thought the Constitution doesn't actually say how many justices there should be?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

blackguy32 posted:

Calculators help but math is so much more complex than that.

My history professor said it best when he said memorizing dates isn't important because you can easily look up when something happened in a book.

And that professor was Jeb Bush

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I recall that that was a plot device in one of the Tom Clancy books. John Clark and Ding Chavez got a room with a balcony facing the runway of a military airport, and then when an AWACS plane was about to land, they "shot" the cockpit with a laser thingy and it blinded the pilots on final approach and it caused the planes to crash.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Radish posted:

I think the problem there is that even if it's overall safer, being the guy that makes the decision to get rid of feel good but ineffectual security measures is going to be destroyed the moment anything eventually happens since you can't stop everything. No one is going to want to be the person "responsible" for a terrorist attack being successful. With the security theater people can pretend that they tried their best to stop it.

That's why terrorism is so effective. Nobody wants to be the guy that says "the correct response is to do nothing, because overreacting is exactly what they want us to do". And nobody wants to listen to the guy that says it.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

zoux posted:

Because it shows that all religions are bad :smug:

It also shows Islam is bad, which I imagine is a direct, not side-, benefit for a lot of internet atheists when taking up that set of beliefs.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Maybe they could haul out this old chestnut for the general election

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

I know we are diverging from u.s. politics, but it's not like there are historical Christian terrorist in the US, or contemporary ones around the world.

While I do agree that the scope is often different, terrorism is not relegated to one religion.

Why are we even having this debate.

Because Amergin is having the opposite debate in another site and he needs us to copy paste arguments from.

• Locked thread