Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
Lotta people wishing they saw gruesome dog murders tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

Xealot posted:

Is the Sand Snakes' plan literally just to watch the world burn?

Because all they seemed to do is dismantle the existing power structure in Dorne for [reasons], and kill the least important Lannister in a well-thought-out scheme to piss off the Crown, which happens to be an alliance of the two most powerful families on the continent who happen to already hate the Dornish and share borders with them.

"I'm some random bastard who had some daughters with Oberyn. I just murdered Prince Doran and his son, and instigated war with the Lannister-Tyrell army. Sound cool? Who's in?"

(I hope this plot gets way less stupid, real fast.)

Edit: As I wrote this, others have made the same point. But still: this plot sucks.

It's almost like they're villains! *gasp*

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
The Sand Snakes are more like Rickard Karstark than Littlefinger. The show isn't trying to trick you into thinking they're geniuses. It doesn't take a genius to underhandedly murder people in cold blood.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

Bobo the Red posted:

They could easily be plunging Dorne into the dumbest civil war ever.

Yes. Get used to it.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

Phi230 posted:

War of dah bad pooseh

You're not wrong, Bronn is almost certainly a Dornish agent now.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

Windfall posted:

If the boat staff were majority disloyal than they would have killed Jamie Lannister, delivering a much bigger f-you to the Lannisters, and had no reason to go back to Kings' Landing.

The content of the letter made the scene make sense, but pointing out the funeral stones fucks it all right up again. I never thought about it but now it's been pointed out. What was he going to do, mail the eye stones back to them long after the body was decomposed?

The ship didn't deliver the letter. A raven did. The ship never left KL harbor.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

Solkanar512 posted:

That and Jamie signs his paycheck.

Jaime and Cersei voided his betrothal to the Stokesworth girl as leverage to get him to help, with the promise of a betrothal to a prettier girl with a better castle if the princess was rescued. She wasn't.

That Jaime might be giving him a per diem doesn't change the fact that the Lannisters destroyed his shot at a relatively secure future.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
And are they good dogs?

edit. To actually add something, a surviving witness means the Boltons will know Brienne was the one to save them, even if they only know it was a tall sword wielding woman in armor. No time for a leisurely stroll back.

Maarak fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Apr 30, 2016

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

Bobo the Red posted:

I honestly can't imagine someone going back to Ramsay to report failure. Like... Dude's definitely gonna get flayed, right?

Maybe he'll be at Castle Black at the start of tomorrow's episode.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

CortezFantastic posted:

Watching the same conversation over and over again about an actor getting replaced and what and why and huh is absolutely stunning to see

TVIV would go Lovecraft style mad if they learned what horrors regularly go on in live theater.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Except Robb was good at heart and honorable, so much so that it doomed him. Dany on the other hand is one step away from being a tyrannical maniac.

One step...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpCocBknqWI

edit. Daario's plan is totally without issue as well haha.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
Astapor attracts slaves from all over the world, they don't just enslave and train people within the city state.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
Outside of the scene this episode with the harpy woman and the scene with Shae at the end of season 3, has Varys had any scenes alone or not with someone in the principle cast?

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
Even in the books, the so called Clegane-Bowl is hilariously unsupported. People want to bash action figure versions of the characters together in a climactic battle that just ain't gonna come. Sandor is in no shape to fight, and likely never will be. Even more so the way his fight with Brienne ended. It'd be thematically dumb too; Sandor is on a path towards peace and dignity for once in his life, and showing up in KL to try(and fail, because how does he win?) and kill his undead brother rips that apart. But keep on dreaming fanfolks.

The dream/vision Bran has foreshadows the Mountain's fate for sure, but it needs quite a bit of twisting to make it seem like a prophecy of battle.

The Hound wanted to kill his brother, sure. Brother Sandor we've yet to even meet.

edit. Quoting myself as this got lost on the bottom of page, and I'm still curious:

Maarak posted:

Outside of the scene this episode with the harpy woman and the scene with Shae at the end of season 3, has Varys had any scenes alone or not with someone in the principle cast?

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

Zaphod42 posted:

Buuuuut GOT the show they're already changing all kinds of things for stupid reasons just to be cool or shocking[...]

Bud, the books ain't all that different. The show has generally toned that stuff way down, and the worldbuilding you so love is threatening to choke the life out of the narrative.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
If Loras is gonna fight, why not have him as his sister's own champion against the faith's?

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
Some A.V. Club nerds talk about the cinematography and editing in the last episode:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbHvcPoej2c

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

zoux posted:

GRRM even has this famous quote about how all he hears about is how vulgar and terrible the sex scenes in his books are while he hears no complaints about the brutal violence depicted in his books. The guy likes sex scenes.

He's much better at writing about mailed fists breaking teeth than lovemaking.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

quote:

I wish you good fortune in the wars to come.

Echos Mance's final words to Stannis; not sure what that means though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyjO75eQ_2Y&t=365s

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
Bronn is plotting the Dornish invasion of KL.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
Just gonna leave this here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zl9cSk5nxJE

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

Sydin posted:

As far as I could tell Euron won over a handful of morons on a mountain top, where as Yara managed to rally what appeared to be hundreds if not thousands of Ironborn to steal an entire loving fleet, so I'm not sure why she bothered with the whole running away thing and didn't just have her gigantic navy/army turn back around and throttle Euron. Will be interesting to see if she's trying to jump the gun on Euron and head out to help Danny, or of she's sailing north to add to the never ending coalition of factions rallying behind Jon.

She didn't just steal the ships, she stole his plan. She has a better shot against Euron with Dany as an ally than w/o.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

Zaphod42 posted:

To add to this, Stannis mentions "a new father must have seemed like an easy target"

Its implied that the merchant who sold Stannis the doll for Shireen did so knowingly having infected the doll with greyscale. It was a trap for Stannis / assassination plot for Shireen.

And the ship/merchant is from Dorne as well. Would fit Ellaria's MO.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
The Waif would rather kill Arya and cut her face off than train someone for two years that's gonna run.

a la Jon Snow and Orell:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXXCUIxJlc0&t=107s

Also, Euron deforesting the Iron Islands is fitting, not bad writing.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
This might have already been said, but an episode ago Baelish said something like, "it's time fro the Knights of the Vale to join the fray", but considering his supposed news about the Blackfish at Riverrun, maybe Baelish meant "Join The Frey" and is planning to trap Sansa with yet another group of people that murdered her family?

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
On paper maybe. Without Tywin, Frey has to enforce his own claim.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I just realized why they're dragging out the ToJ stuff; it's to convince the more involved readers/viewers that their theory about Lyanna and Rhaegar is correct and a sure thing, to make the reality that much more surprising and disturbing. Ned is Jon's father, and Lyanna is his mother, and Rhaegar was just a sympathetic friend who understood their feelings. Ned was just too weak to stand up to Robert's temperament, and had to play the part in the war in the vain hope that he and Lyanna could be reunited. Unfortunately, Lyanna decided she would rather die than be married to Robert, and killed herself when Ned tried to bring her back, leaving baby Jon behind.

I posted something very similar to this years ago, but with Benjen taking the place of Ned, thus his exile to the Wall. The timeline doesn't quite work either way best I can figure. Ned was in the Vale already and a Benjen was too young.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
I look forward to the A Song of Fire and Ice anime epic in 2050 that includes Dawn, the rude eunuch gladiator, and the Three Stooges Knights in all their glory.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

turtlecrunch posted:

I'm not sure how she stole [a few dozen] of them without even being queen but hey I'm not a sailor.

Yara leading the Ironborne fleet for quite a few years left a positive impression on a number of people apparently.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
Sam's talk of all the many kinds of trees in the Reach this episode makes me think Euron's electorate may pay the iron price for their timber.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
Marge only seems converted to the notion of wielding religious populism to her own ends.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

ShakeZula posted:

I think the goal of the plan was to get Loras out of jail as quickly as possible, since he was clearly breaking. Once they were both out and ostensibly working with the Faith, she could set about making a plan to get rid of the Sparrow once and for all, but for now she had to focus on the immediate problem.

Is Loras out too?

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

kiimo posted:

This episode was the first that I truly cringed when Jaime and Cersei kissed. I'm not sure what was different about it this time. Maybe the gross factor finally kicked in for me. Gross.

The way the scene was staged really emphasized how isolated and alone the two of them are, with their twisted relationship as the main reason why. They have no real friends or allies and it's ruined their house.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
More like, Gendry will make thousands of Valyrian steel bodkin point arrows and bolts.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
Jaime rapes Cersei in the book too. It's his POV chapter though...

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

Zaphod42 posted:

No, that's wrong. Jaime has sex with Cersei as well in the book, but its not rape. She protests, but the book makes it clear she's only protesting because of the location, and after they talk about it, she gives in and starts demanding he take her and calling out his name over and over and over. Its still a little awkward because he's kinda talking her into having sex somewhere she doesn't want to, but her only protest was because they were in the sept. She really did want him, and it helped her deal with her pain. The book makes it much clearer, where the show obviously was going for that angle but hosed it up because all she says is "no, no" and then Jaime takes her. In the book she specifically says "yes, okay, take me now" which is a bit different.

Jaime is a rapist, book and show.

Sorry if you prefer some romantic fantasy.

edit. In other news, Rick Perry is a Ramsay Bolton fan:
https://twitter.com/GingerGibson/status/738462170258669569

Maarak fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jun 2, 2016

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
Mermen are more likely than this Arya switcheroo theory.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

Brick Card posted:

I think the letter is going to be sent to Robyn directly. Sending it to Littlefinger feels too stagnant character-wise. I feel like the show has been telegraphing her becoming a player in the game. To have her come running to daddy every time she has a problem doesn't seem fitting of her arc.

Maybe Sansa is brokering a betrothal between Lady Mormont and Robin Arryn? Not sure what else the reward would be.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

ShakeZula posted:

How valuable of a marriage would that really be for him? Robin is Lord of the Vale, surely he has better prospects than that (better politically of course, as there is nobody actually better than her in all of Westeros).

I'm just spitballin', but he's not a ruler driven by rationality or propriety.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
Tywin is more like a Darth Vader that got Luke to kill the emperor if we're making Star Wars comparisons. Jaime evens loses his hand and gets a metal replacement.

• Locked thread