Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Now that Monday is here, I love when they're releasing the game because I get home at 630, which gives me just enough time to eat and spend the rest of my life playing Overwatch until I fall over dead.

Chewbot posted:

I also like it because it reconfirms that while McCree is almost certainly OP, everybody else is not.

I think just the way McCree is designed, people who have exceptional aim (aka pros) will always make him a bit OP compared with his performance in normal play. If you balance him for competitive in mind then he becomes too weak in the hands of normal players. If you balance him for normal play then he becomes a bit too good in competitive.

But maybe it's possible to do it with more creative balancing, like less ult meter kept if it's not actually HIGH NOON but slightly better movement to compensate? Stuff like that, rather than straight damage/falloff adjustments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

But it sucks and has a lag/delay before PTT kicks in so the beginning of your sentences always gets cut off.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
What were the issues with ranked play during beta?

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
I know the servers were fine for the open beta but did it get rushed like the servers will be upon release? Slightly concerned :ohdear:

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Countblanc posted:

hey OP, please add https://www.twitch.tv/moonmoon_ow to the streaming section of the OP. he's on seagull's stream a lot as Roadhog but he streams late night EST too.

Just FYI though, he's just Seagull's friend and not a pro competitive player or anything (AFAIK)

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTv-H0glR-o

Nothing's changed :allears:

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Axel Serenity posted:

Pharah's cool and good but it really helps if you grew up playing Unreal

A damage boosted Pharah does 156 damage in a direct hit. Which means that when I timed a rocket to go through the door on Hollywood right when they opened and it hit a tracer in the face, he got mad. Tunnel visioned me all game. I got the POTG on both defense and attack (both just ults, more or less) and boy, he was not happy about my ability to press Q at just the right time.

I guess I should have taken screen shots but Pharah, you're so dreamy :allears:

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Zaphod42 posted:

Somebody post that picture of the widowmaker spider-man jumping over the ledge to shoot reinhart in the back of the head.

This is better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYCWzLpFItY

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Dead Like Rev posted:

Are achievements buggy or is it just me? Took me 6 attempts of actually doing the Reinheardt Earth, Storm, and Fire to get it to count successfully doing it each time.

I was on a 6 stack and some people got the shutout achievement but I didn't :iiam:

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Aranan posted:

I have a Geforce, but unfortunately it's old so it doesn't support shadowplay. :(

Guess I need a new graphics card! :v:

Wait for the 1080 when it comes out.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Minorkos posted:

to be honest getting a 1080 for overwatch is kind of overkill

It absolutely, absolutely is, but a 30% jump in performance over the 980 for LESS money is kind of hard to pass up.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Soothing Vapors posted:

we were getting shredded near our spawn by a bastion so I switched to Hanzo, jumped in front of him and hit E to deflect

there was just one minor flaw in my plan

I bet that Bastion was really confused though

I tried to teleport behind a bastion as reaper but because of the angle, I couldn't see very well and just teleported directly in front of him. Welp.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Twerk from Home posted:

The 980 was never that expensive, was it?

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8526/nvidia-geforce-gtx-980-review/7

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10304/nvidia-announces-the-geforce-gtx-1080-1070/2

Looks like the day 1 MSRP on a GTX 980 was $549, and the 1080 MSRPs are $599 and $699 based on whether you buy the available soon "Founders edition" or the available later cheaper ones.

I read that it was 650 somewhere. /shrug. Still really huge performance gain for around the same amount of money. If you're going to get a new video card, unless it's a small upgrade to a much older video card (and therefore only a hundred or two hundred bucks), I think the 1080 is a no-brainer.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
I love knocking people off the map as Pharah but it seems to induce a LOT of anger in them and they start tunnel visioning me or changing class to deal with me. It's both flattering and.. okay, it's just flattering. I'll hunt your widowmaker down any day :D

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

mormonpartyboat posted:

probably the best play i'll ever have in this game happened tonight; it was the lijiang tower point with all the apartment buildings. we lucio raced to the point, and i beat the other team by a little bit because i was pharahing over. i peek through the window, see a pile of dudes running for the back door, and do the needful

doot rocketed four people off the ledge with one shot (including two meis), and they were apparently all grouped up because they all immediately left the game

rip, duders

Coincidentally also on Lijiang Towers, I concussive blasted a Pharah right as she rocketed up. Pushed her back a bit but she clearly didn't notice because she came straight back down to nothing.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
This happened tonight playing with some goons. My first attempt at splicing a video together :shobon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywZ8vw2NuD4

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
I don't know the numbers but 76 probably has better effective damage at mid-range due to less spread (and better falloff range?) Obviously just comparing w/ widowmaker's unscoped rifle.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Symmetra has the ability to shoot balls that go through walls, players, and reinhardt shields with her RMB. They're slow but they're there and sometimes you can land a decent hit on somebody who didn't expect it. So she actually does have long range options, even if they're more for applying pressure, keeping the other team's heads down, and building up ult rather than outright killing people. Usually. Imagine it being kinda like a Hanzo ult that has no telegraph and a smaller hitbox.

Pretty sure Symmetra's balls don't go through walls.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Attention: putting 5 players behind a bastionReinhart (why do I keep doing this) shield and slowly walking forward doesn't work (especially on capture/koth). All you're doing is presenting a giant 2000 hp target for the enemy team to shoot at. You need people to flank, run forward and get some kills, etc.

Edit: I should take my own advice.

totalnewbie fucked around with this message at 02:44 on May 30, 2016

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

HellCopter posted:

Doesn't Symmetra's orb go through shields?

It does!

Reinhart has really bad vertical movement so just set up a couple Bastions up high and start wailing away.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Broken Cog posted:

It's literally the worst gun in the game. Same damage as Mercy's, but shoots slow moving orbs in a burst instead of automatic.

But you don't lose any utility while using your gun, unlike Mercy.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Section Z posted:

I am so loving garbage at trying to maneuver Phara with conc rockets. If I shoot a wall, nothing happens. If I shoot at my feet, either nothing happens or I get send hurtling backwards 50 loving feet. Feels like if I'm too far, or TOO CLOSE, nothing happens (Such as trying to shoot a wall in training from point blank, and gently caress all happening until I back off enough for it to start boosting me... and then slightly farter than that is back to gently caress all).

Meanwhile, I see other Pharas who are acting like they have maneuvering computers handling their 90 degree turns around corners :saddowns:

Pharah's E (protip: rebind to RMB) is good for a quick push but because of the way air movement is handled in Overwatch, you're not going to get Tribes level of movement speed with it. It's good for a quick, short-range reposition movement and that's it.

Also, the behavior in the spawn room (where you are healed) and in the general map is different. You need to move out of the healing area if you want to practice rocket jumping or movement with your E.

One of the best signs of a good vs. bad Pharah is exactly what you describe: how they move in the air. You need good spacial awareness of what's around you and, very importantly, what's above you for when you hit your shift. When you get to be a good Pharah, you should be able to move around smoothly and quickly without clipping on corners, etc. It's hard, though, and definitely something that only comes with practice.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

NTRabbit posted:

The next game I was shot in midair by a Pharah who lacked the ability to miss, having direct hit me with every rocket in the clip, so quit that one, back into the queue. I'm still sincerely hoping they're collecting stat on cheats quietly for a while, before dropping the hammer all at once.

Cheating with a slow-moving projectile? I mean, it's not easy to land midair shots with Pharah, but you can do it with some practice, especially if your opponent is moving in a predictable manner.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

mcvey posted:

A c9 player did get caught/banned for cheating yes.

What about Taimou? This clip looks suspicious AF

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRo0Csl8P2Y

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Dias posted:

I think this one looks more suspicious:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1d04Q4XO30

Yeah, the snap to the DVa after Lucio is kind of awkward.

I remember that in the old days of CS, there were aimbots that were more aim assists than an aimbot. They were incredibly subtle, to the point where people used them on LAN (and not small ones, either). Eventually, they got caught. I remember there was one clip on D2 where someone was looking long from B doors and shot someone through the wall as they were still jumping across (and so their model wasn't revealed, yet). Maybe someone know what I'm referring to.

I think to prove someone is cheating, there should really be a pretty high bar of proof (e.g. record finger/mouse movements and match with in-game behavior) but I to say that there isn't a single high level (or professional) player that doesn't/didn't cheat in the past is a bit, I don't know, a "never say never" thing.

edit: KQLY, etc. more recent

totalnewbie fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jun 7, 2016

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Zzulu posted:

never really understood cheaters

what's the point of playing if everything you do is bullshit and none of it is because of your own skill? Might as well let a bot play the game for you entirely

Ask Lance Armstrong!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxkULBtpF3s

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

NTRabbit posted:

Hanzo's ult is super loud, but the problem is a little packet loss will often mean you're dead before he's even finished reading his speech out, especially if he's on the other side of 3 walls and you've no idea which direction he's firing. I die to that stupid thing more than any other ult, I had one travel half the map to hit me as I was leaving a spawn room.

It's sometimes unavoidable but if you can't tell in what general direction the dragon is going to go based on the current map/game situation, then you really need to brush up on your game sense.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Zoness posted:

I don't consistently get enemy/ally callouts in different languages/lines. I hear Hanzos use both languages on both sides, for example, and not in killcams. When I Zarya Ult I usually hear the russian line and I've heard enemy mercy use both "Heroes never die" and "Helden Sterben Nicht"

I haven't really paid much mind to it since in premades you can just ask who ulted and you usually say "i'm ulting" anyway.

Then you're not parsing it correctly.

Callouts are definitely different for allies/enemies and sometimes different situations (e.g. tracer)

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Xaris posted:

/Infantry Online

Ooh someone else played Inf?

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Thank god for Junkrat's tire speed buff because this would never happen without it:

https://gfycat.com/BarrenAdventurousCarp

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Kai Tave posted:

Junkrat still has a lot of the flaws and drawbacks he had previously, the changes didn't really do much to address those.

1). He's a 200 hitpoint hero with very little in the way of mobility and no mitigation. Against things like long range hitscan he's not very difficult to burn down.

2). His grenades are sluggish and easily avoided by people who understand not to walk on the glowing angry cricket balls, or in Zarya's case who understand how to farm them for free charge.

3). He still basically loses the war against Pharah unless the Pharah player is extremely dumb.

He is qualitatively better than he used to be. The extra mine does raise his skill ceiling with regards to things like bomb jumps, gives him flexibility to use one mine to engage and another for burst, and in cramped quarters simply being able to quickly toss and detonate two mines in quick succession is a pretty hefty chunk of damage. Also the new Riptire is apparently pretty nuts with how you can use its increased speed and wall climbing capabilities to drop it on top of people from insane angles. I don't know if those things are going to be enough to make Junkrat worth taking as your sixth man in serious pro play level, but there's a difference between something being viable at the pro level and something being viable in ranked play, and I would guess that Junkrat doesn't become "meta" but that he starts seeing more use in ranked play outside of bronze, maybe not all over the ladder but somewhat. If that happens you can probably expect a further uptick in Zarya use since she benefits greatly from an enemy Junkrat.

All these are true. The extra mine really improves junkrat's survivability, though, because it will be much more likely that you have mobility options than before. Whereas previously you gained some burst in exchange for becoming a sitting duck, now you have some real options.

He might be good enough to use in some niche situations (and he's much stronger when people don't have the best aim) but the team will really need to be tweaked to cover some of his massive weaknesses.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

the flying tire

New patch, the tire now comes out sideways and flies around like a UFO.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
I feel like pharmercy should be much stronger with the mercy changes. Is this the case?

I just think now you're under much more pressure to kill mercy before pharah (else she just gets rezzed), which means pharah spends more time getting boosted and launching death from above. Or you'll end up having to kill pharah twice, and once is already annoying enough with a pocket mercy.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Rein qol buff is a nice change. Seems obvious in hindsight.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
What about a cast time on rez like sombra's hack? Makes reading in the middle of a team fight more difficult or risky but doesn't punish you for resting when you've already won a fight or when regrouping.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

The Blue Caboose posted:

In the current meta, if you die to a riptire and it didn't kill your Mercy then that's a wasted ult, so take it as a victory.

Yeah, Mercy is basically target number 1 and everyone else is just gravy.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Comp is sometimes just really loving dumb because the enemy team will have a pharah supported by zen and mercy and they will complain that soldier isn't doing his job killing the pharah. Meanwhile, genji is jumping around doing gently caress all to their roadhog/Winston tanks and refuses to change to reaper because it's 76's fault.

Other times everything clicks and you get a full stop with ease.

I guess that's just the nature of being set up with a bunch of random teammates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Junkrat is really fun and I think he's super good for learning maps and situational awareness.

The big variation in maps, and in designs WITHIN the maps, really promote being good with a variety of characters. Strongly recommend you learn at least one solo tank like winston and a second support like lucio in addition to whatever other characters you want to pick up. Avoid (at first) supports that require game sense/knowledge like torb, sym, mei, etc. until you start learning what good places for turrets are, how not to wall off your teammates to their deaths, etc.