Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Songbearer posted:

I can't imagine how much this feeling would really be hammered home if they had just taken the time to put some effort into giving your character presence - hands, a reflection, full body awareness, anything.

You won't be picking things up physically, you just have to hold the "get" button over the object for a while to make it levitate away.

So you're saying this VR port was the barest of minimums?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Dongattack posted:

Haha yeah, cause when i decided which VR headset to buy last year i chose the Oculus Rift specifically to gently caress over Vive users with exclusives. Go gently caress yourself with this console warrior poo poo :jerkbag:

i hear the rift uses the wrong kind of ram

Stick100 posted:

I seriously doubt this is an exclusive. Developing for the second headset is not free, and the developers probably just didn't have time\money in the budget. I bet in a couple of weeks it will work flawlessly on the Rift (since they don't have a beef with Oculus unlike Bethesda). Don't forget a year ago and 3 months there was no touch on Rift, and the until the last quarter the Rift w/ touch numbers were tiny compared to Vive. Also probably doesn't work on SteamVR/Windows Mixed reality.

TL:DR I believe they developed for one platform - SteamVR with Vive and did not account for SteamVR w Rift, but they'll get there.

The game is hardlocked to prevent Rift and WMR headsets from working. That's not something that happens by accident.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Cheap Shot posted:

They honestly should have sold fallout VR as like a 20$ add on to the base fallout 4. They'd sell more copies of the regular game for people interested enough to try it, and they'd sell more of the VR to people who already own the base game and don't want to pay full retail price again for a game they already own with different controls.

They'd also get a lot less bad press from people who think the VR poo poo is half assed since they can just play the game in flatscreen mode.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

On Terra Firma posted:

I like having to actually aim. Not sure why people put that down as a negative in a VR game. :confused:

Aiming is for the weak. Just fire enough times while hipfiring and you'll hit eventually.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

rio posted:

I had toggled that on and off to make sure it was on but it didn’t help.

I am doing another sensor calibration and the sensors are randomly disappearing during the part you are supposed to point the touch controller at the center of the front sensors and getting random sensor connection errors saying that one or more of my sensors aren’t tracking properly.

I don’t think I have ever had such a stark contrast between the amount of fun technology could provide with such annoying poo poo that seems to have no rhyme or reason with how to fix it leading so such extreme frustration that happens as frequently as the fun itself.

Edit: it makes sense why the guardian system wasn’t working since I read that it will not function correctly if the sensors move. As I look at the sensor setup screen, each time a sensor disappears for a split second it reappears ever so slightly in a different place when it reappears. All three sensors are doing this - not often but enough to gently caress everything up.

Edit 2: they seemed to stop moving but the guardian system still won’t show up. I give up.

Wipe the sensors off, and plug them into different USB ports if able. I had problems with my sensors and headset before taking them out of the add-in card and plugging them back into the motherboard slots

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Is there anything base-building related in VR? I love the base building in survival games (though not the survival games themselves) and the idea of Minecraft, but.. I would like to not play Minecraft, I guess. I haven’t seen any and I figure it’s a hard sell for VR, but just wondering.

I owned Ark from a year ago but that game is still so janky I couldn’t get it to successfully boot in VR.

Ark booted for me in VR but it's exceptionally broken to the point of being useless and also Ark isn't even worth playing for me without plentiful use of the console since it's such a buggy mess.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Alpha Phoenix posted:

Wildly exaggerating for comedic intent. I didn't expect so many people to jump down my throat over it, but here we are.

edit: Maybe I didn't exaggerate enough. If I had said 12 do you think people would have thrown the same tier of shitfit?

You probably needed to photoshop like an entire wall of Oculus sensors.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Songbearer posted:

Of all the first gen tech I stupidly impulse bought, the Rift has been the one I have held no regrets for. I bought a Physx standalone card which was easily the worst decision ever

Why exactly did you do this?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Why are you arguing with a Bitcoin person?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

Giant Bomb did Fallout VR last night on UPF and that was super disappointing. It looked super janky and terrible to use. Most frustrating when Jeff opened the refrigerator and went to go grab a nuka cola and then said "Oh right, I can't do that, because this isn't a VR game." Doesn't surprise me that Bethesda hosed up VR. Can't imagine how terrible VR would be if Carmack didn't steal everything or whatever and Bethesda controlled VR.

Fallout VR is exactly what you'd expect from a rushed out VR mod, except without the Rift compatibility.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Have they said if there's a weight difference on the Vive Pro?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Protocol7 posted:

Well I've tried it over and over again and I can't say I'm a fan of Arizona Sunshine.

The gun tracking is awful, for one, so I can't hit poo poo from afar without wasting entire clips, meaning zombies have to get close, meaning I get hit and die a lot. Then they throw zombies with helmets and poo poo in so you have to waste the entire clip on torso shots. Yay, that's fun, I guess?

So aside from the entire point of the game being a dodgy at best experience, the actual gameplay isn't very substantial. You just teleport around and shoot zombies. Yay I guess.

I thought I'd be excited for VR zombie killing but it turns out putting VR into a boring overdone concept doesn't magically make it interesting or fun.

I didn't use teleporting, I used free movement, and I kept the original pistol with the glow sights for a long rear end time until I found another pistol with sights and a larger magazine. Using the sights lets you actually hit headshots on distant targets, and your other hand can have whatever weapon with a larger clip size to spray into anyone that gets close.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

The Vive and Rift both have microphones, but not very good ones.

My Rift mic sounds really nice.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

I'm gonna close the thread now, because VR is gay and dead.

Here lies VR, it never scored.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

I kind of want a VR Congressional Simulator. Or a Model UN sim.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Just to be sure, the Steam version of Subnautica works just as well with the Oculus as the version of Subnautica in the Oculus store, right? The Oculus version is $2.50 cheaper but I assume you lose out on the option of playing it on a flatscreen.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

homeless snail posted:

Somebody said the words "DOTA battle royale" and everyone pushed their desks from the VR zone to DOTA land

first person DOTA battle royale would be pretty goddamn sweet not gonna lie

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Dongattack posted:

One of my cats absolutely freaking hates VR, whenever i start doing roomscale stuff she just looks at me for a bit and just goes to stand in the corner and look at the wall. It's soooo weird.

Solution - cat sized HMD.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Edison was a dick posted:

Don't look into the sky at night.

I never fixed that bug since I kind of liked the void staring back at me, but now it only shows stars in one of my eyes which makes it even wilder.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

iceaim posted:

The latest patch STILL didn't fix this???

I have no idea, I'm not going to update when I have everything working. Previous Bethesda games have proven that to be potentially catastrophic.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

I'm in the market for VR Model UN if anyone's working on that.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

MrLonghair posted:

As a man with no life Skyrim VR is my kind of thing, with 3-5 hour sessions until Monster Hunter World arrived, after a month of that I plugged the kit back in so I can let my aching fingers rest.

Journalists are still crying over how PSVR has one box, one coupled cable from box to headset, then four cables on the back of the unit that easily are not visible to anybody but the complete nutbags who insist on taking the PSVR kit down and packing it up after every single session. Any good example shots of what PC VR looks like, that perhaps could be shown to these journalists?

My Oculus setup is a visual disaster. Only takes like 5 minutes to unplug my desktop, bring it to my play area and connect everything, but there's cables going every which way.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

I'd buy VR Might & Magic 6/7/8 in a heartbeat.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Songbearer posted:

Anyone played GORN lately? I heard they added a chainwhipv and two handed sword and axe. I've been recovering from a broken leg since Janurary so I haven't really had the chance to do much VR, definitely no standing experiences:(and I won't play standing games sitting down, that's depressing)

The greatsword cuts through people real well and the greataxe, if you get it going fast enough, will completely pulverize enemy dudes even with the flat side. GORN's awesome.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

I'm enjoying my Rift a lot. Shooting arrows at zombies and wraiths in In Death is real fun. Pretty sure this $350 package is a much better deal than spending ~$1400 for a Vive Pro setup.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Palpek posted:

What are the go-to best things to introduce to somebody new to VR? Like, is there a specific rollercoaster app? I remember reading about "the plank" or something. Basically tell me what experiences are the most effective/memorable for first-timers. There are some people I will be showing Oculus to.

First Contact to set people up, Welcome to Light Fields is cool as heck and takes 10 minutes to go through the tour, Aircar to test if people will puke - if someone is susceptible to VR sickness, they will get it if they drive down into the city and close to other cars - and if they don't get sick, Aircar is awesome. Past that, Robo Recall, Sprint Vector, or Gorn depending on what they're up to.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Brass Tactics is real fun if you like RTSs. Pretty much exactly what you'd want from a VR RTS.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Unormal posted:

Skyrim VR is .... good?

I wish wearing the helmets wasn't like sticking your head up to your nose into a rhino's hot, puckered rear end in a top hat.

Man you gotta clean your HMD if it smells that bad.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

If this were a free DLC or a cheap addon to normal skyrim, that would be one thing. I can't believe they are charging 60 dollars for these games when they aren't even bothering to implement basic VR features.

I mean, at least they added the feature where if you shout the correct words you'll do the correct shout in game. I'm really enjoying shouting FUS RO DAH and knocking the draugr I'm looking at off a cliff, or shouting WULD and quickly dashing forwards.

lol jk that's not an actual feature (until some modder adds it)

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

but facebook gonna know how my dick looks

e: full-body tracking means that if i play naked mark zuckerberg will personally stare at my penis while i play

sold

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

AndrewP posted:

I finally turned on Rift 2.0 and I'm VR posting and this is doooooooooope

also Skyrim VR is very dope

hey any way to resize the desktop window?

Grab the window and use the thumbstick, forwards/backwards moves it further away/closer, left/right shrinks/expands it.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Did your cameraman fall over and die laughing in that last .gif?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

FBS posted:

Is Fallout VR in a workable state for Rift owners? I don't mind doing some configuring at the beginning but I don't want to tweak things constantly after I start playing.

Every time you start it you have to redo the controllers (basically just selecting the profile and applying it for each hand) but then you're done. It's still super janky and even on sale at $42 it's not worth the trouble, just play Skyrim until they bother patching Fallout.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Hey Serious Sam VR is fantastic and you should get the Croteam VR Bundle for :50bux:

I'll try Talos Principle when I'm done murdering aliens.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Why doesn't every VR FPS do scopes like Serious Sam VR does? The sniper rifle's got a scope on top of it that you can look through and shoot enemies onehanded, or you can click the offhand shooty button to hold the rifle end with that hand to control it with both hands for more accuracy. I'm jumping around and if I see a scorpion or bull or something I want to quickly oneshot with the rifle, I can swap to it and without even closing an eye or bringing the rifle to my face I can just point the rifle at the target until they show up in the scope and shoot, or if they're far away I can stop and aim and get them in the sights reasonably quickly.

lol Fallout is such a crappy port in comparison, how did it get released with zero scope functionality? The patched scopes aren't even particularly good either.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

I'd love a VR version of the Resident Evil: Umbrella/Darkside Chronicles Wii games.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Republicans posted:

The full 2.0 Vive Pro bundle is now available for sale for a whopping $1400.

Maybe the 2.0 Lighthouses are really good....

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Honestly, what's wrong with an analog stick or dpad? Why go solely touchpad?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Talos Principle VR is fantastic and you all should play it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Are they also building a time machine to bring graphics cards from a decade in the future into the present day?