Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Why not try some window tint first?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
gently caress painting, it's the worst.

I'm extra salty about it because i have knockdown texture on the walls and ceilings and it's impossible to get a clean line between the white ceiling and the walls.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Residency Evil posted:

Hypothetically, for a trip of about 2000 miles, would you:

1. Fly out and drive the car home
2. Ship the car

The car has bucket seats and is probably not what most people would call an ideal GT car.

will it make it 2000 miles? do you have enough money or vacation time if you have trouble driving it home?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

sure, but some posters prefer to use this thread as their toilet

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

MrOnBicycle posted:

Speaking of double dins, are there any good one with android auto that does not end up costing half of what the drat car is worth?

Depends on the car, right? I wish I could justify a Dynavin for my e46 but I just can't do it. I think it's WinCE based too :laffo: but still the best option for a double-din radio that doesn't require you to cut the HVAC ducting behind the head unit.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

MrChips posted:

Four days left to get your answers in for the Sheep Game, everyone. I have only 35 responses so far, which is a little disappointing considering the last edition had 56. More responses makes the end result better and more hilarious. Come play today!

There are a couple of Android-based head units for the E46 that are supposedly pretty decent, Eonon makes one for example, which has better hardware specs than the Dynavin and is something like half to a third of the cost.

Tons of complaints about that one and all the android based ones, not even gonna consider buying a vaporware head unit.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Oh yeah, had an allergic reaction to my allergy therapy shot and had to go to an urgent care clinic. Pretty scary going from normal one minute to shortness of breath and hives all over in another.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Before I venture into SCHC, what's my best recovery option or flash bootable disk tool for Windows 10? I think my boot SSD poo poo the bed

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

mariooncrack posted:

Are you trying to create a new boot disk?

Yes.

There's no options for using disk repair tools if the hard drive is not being recognized by the motherboard, correct?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

fyodor posted:

Buy it and replace the skirts with something not embarrassing.

edit: god all that fake chrome/metal. :barf:

It's painted silver, and comes from the factory that way.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

mariooncrack posted:

Probably not. Try plugging it into a different sata port just in case though.

Microsoft has its own boot disk creator for Windows 10. I had no issues with it.

If the motherboard doesn't recognize the drive, how are you going to reinstall?

I have another SSD that has been used for storing my steam games on. I can re-purpose it for a boot drive.

I'm not sure how i can pull off creating a win 10 boot flash drive when my only working copy of win10 has now failed.

edit: i should stop making GBS threads up this thread and move this over to SCHC

OBAMNA PHONE fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jun 8, 2016

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
yeah, i dont have access to any win10 computers, dont have the serial number for my win10 install that was upgraded from 7. gently caress.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

mariooncrack posted:

You don't need another windows 10 computer to run the media creation tool, just another copy of Windows. If you don't have the iso for Windows 10, the tool will download it.

Awesome, thank you!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
ok, so i have been able to get all 3 hard drives back online without any major changes. either the motherboard is flaky or the power supply is the culprit. tested the voltages on the PSU and they seem to be within spec but it's 4 or 5 years old at this point.

but the main problem is that the hard drives sometimes won't register in windows, sometimes they wont show up in the bios even. sata controller gone bad?

OBAMNA PHONE fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jun 9, 2016

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
My hawaii suggestion: kauaii is great but i'd suggest no more than one week per island.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

CommieGIR posted:

Thankfully, the father of the shooter has come out and straightly said that his son's actions shame him. Good on him.

They have so much blood being donated, they've told people to come back tomorrow. Well done Florida.

Doesn't matter what the dad says. What else would he say?

Just like San Bernardino, I'm sure we will find out that one or more people knew this piece of poo poo was radicalizing and did nothing about it.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Noise Complaint posted:

Yeah this is a good idea.

I'm a small family farmer that doesn't have a lot of disposable income. Just this Saturday I needed my rifle to defend my livestock from predators. What do I do when I can't afford this?

This isn't a hypothetical either. I literally posted about this a couple pages back.

Oh wait, lol, guns are only toys, right and not tools for people who actually need them?

Unfortunately, they are just toys for a huge percentage of owners in modern America. Regardless, the taxation idea is plain stupid: we can't even make a list of owners, regulate second hand sales or track serial numbers.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
It's still a red herring because while these eventa are horrific they are statistically insignificant compared to the majority of shootings, which are committed with handguns.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

the spyder posted:

Time to reset your passwords if you've ever been a member of a VerticalScope owned car forum.

Details here: https://www.leakedsource.com/blog/verticalscope
Database search here: https://www.leakedsource.com

Goddammit, vwvortex.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Suppressors are legal in the US, you just need to jump through some hoops to get them.

if you reverse GIS that image it goes to a UK legalized pistol blog post of some sort...

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

mariooncrack posted:

I'm curious and I don't really have anyone else to ask : does the fear of concussions discourage parents from letting their kids play football?

Yes, it's becoming a real concern for a lot of parents due to how much attention CTE is getting nowadays.

Enrollment of kids in football peaked a few years ago and appears to be declining.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

1500quidporsche posted:

What does corn know about guns?

better question, why are you guys still replying to this poo poo tier troll?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

MrOnBicycle posted:

I've never heard or beanless chili. Anyone got a recipe?

This one owns, can be made in a pressure cooker

http://www.seriouseats.com/2011/11/real-texas-chili-con-carne.html

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Moar rascal pics kthx

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
did we scare off aggro crag after his little tire problem a few weeks ago?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

leica posted:

Just mount that ring right over the box with a few tapcons.

this

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Well it finally happened.

yesterday I was taking a poo poo at work and clearly heard someone eating a bag of chips on the shitter next to me :cry:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Dagen H posted:

Replace "bag of chips" with "bowl of soup". Yep.

Well that's worse but the bathroom is literally right next to the cafeteria.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

InitialDave posted:

How's his younger brother's law career doing?

:golfclap:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

MustardFacial posted:

Informed Decisions.JPG

This is what an anti-intellectual culture does to society.

Is this just for UK residents?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

ilkhan posted:

The way I read the outrage in here is all "these idiots are all too stupid to vote right, so let's do what we want anyway" which just reinforces to me that they voted the right way. gently caress giant statist governments and the power hungry fucks behind them.

The dude who resigned may be an idiot in other ways, but at least he realized that he backed the wrong horse and resigned, which is better than our politicians do.

:downsgun:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Being mad enough to beat up a minor is a lovely adult, far worse than an annoying teenager.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

ilkhan posted:

I'm loving ashamed to be a Californian right now. Regardless of who you are, peaceful assembly for protests and rallies is NOT something another group gets to literally attack. The first amendment applies to everybody, equally; whether you agree with them or not.

We're so glad you're here to post this :patriot:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

iwentdoodie posted:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances

How the gently caress is someone getting pissed at neo nazis fucks violating their first amendment, unless Congress passed a law saying those particular nazis couldn't assemble?

Hey we should be really lucky to have a great white knight in our midst to ask the tough questions.

*ignores the obvious motivation behind hate groups making public demonstrations to rile racial tensions*

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Pham Nuwen posted:

Coming back to this, wife wants a french door style fridge and I'll admit they look nice. We're considering http://www.homedepot.com/p/Whirlpool-24-5-cu-ft-French-Door-Refrigerator-in-Monochromatic-Stainless-Steel-WRX735SDBM/204208258 does anyone have a good reason not to go with it?

I'd check the reviews on refrigerators. reviewed.com

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

BloodBag posted:

This long weekend coming up hopefully will have me replacing the valve cover gaskets on my EJ253. I hope I have enough room to do them in the car (sohc, if anyone cares). I was wondering if there are any special tools I might consider picking up since there is so little room to work with down there? Like ratcheting box-end wrenches and the like? Also, what kind of cleaner is good at getting oil and grit off the underside of engines? I was thinking simple green/water in a spray bottle and a shitload of shop rags/shop air.

You'll need a fuckload of patience. I loathed doing this job on an EJ20T, dunno if it will be any easier on a NA engine. Easily one of the most irritating things I've ever replaced on any car, ever.

Drive to a DIY car wash station, spray degreaser all over and let it sit for a bit. Then use the wash station to spray it down and drive it home.

I don't think you need any special tools.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

IOwnCalculus posted:

Where's DILLIGAF's Harley rant when you need it?

Also on the "car specific forums" chat: USE SEARCH NOOB.

Which, of course, returns pages of threads that are only resolved by that same complaint, never the actual issue.

this one?

quote:

As I pull into the gas station on my black and orange Sportster, I am already on the lookout.

On Pump 1 I’ve got a middle-aged man driving a Valiant with an OCC sticker in the back window. Definite offender, better keep my distance.

Pump 3, a younger guy with a 4×4 Toyata truck. A safer bet than Pump 1, but the retiree filling his Coupe DeVille at Pump 9 looks like my best option.

I kill the motor and roll in to 8 as quiet as I can. Without getting off my bike or removing my helmet, I pull out my wallet, shove my card into the machine, pop the gas cap and grab the high octane nozzle. If my tank was bigger than a canteen, I wouldn’t have to do this so often. But the man in the Cadillac is ignoring me, so it might turn out OK. BEEP BEEP, “Error. See Cashier”. Dammit. I drop the kickstand, take off my helmet and glasses and get in line behind Cadillac Man. He pays for his gas and buys a banana.

Who buys fruit at a gas station?

By the time the cashier straightens me out, the Caddy next to my bike is replaced with an Expedition sporting a big giant HARLEY-DAVIDSON sticker on the back. poo poo. I hoped this year would be different. I thought the hype was over. I prayed that I could go this entire year without having to discuss Jesse loving James with some jackass American Chopper fanboy driving a rig with a bike sticker on it.

He steps out of the vehicle and looks over at my bike, and I know all my hopes and dreams for the 2005 riding season are hosed. He walks up to me like I’m a hot peice of rear end drinking a Manhattan alone at the bar.

“Hey man, nice bike.”

That’s usually how they start out.

“Thanks” I say, trying to sound polite and rude at the same time.

Obviously needing more from this conversation, he opts for the “establish the bad guy” approach. “I almost bought one of these last year but my wife wanted a new roof.”

Sometimes it’s better to say nothing. It makes people uncomfortable and they leave. But every now and then, keeping quiet makes them start looking over the bike and asking more annoying questions.

“That a custom exhaust?”

Well, gently caress. The word “custom” has been used. I panic but can only mutter out a “yep” before he launches into the inevitable banter that I was trying so hard to avoid. Once they say “custom”, it’s basically over.

“Yeah man I was watching Orange County choppers the other day man did you see that spider web bike man that this was sweet they like fabricated all the parts for and stuff and you love choppers don’t you because I think they’re sweet and on American Chopper they made a trike out of a Volkswagen and did all sorts of radical stuff and it was so awesome and I want to have Jesse Jame’s man babies Chopper CHOPPer rake bike stretch custom chrome and the was a bike build-off on the discovery channel did you see it and the old guy was all pissed off at the young guys and they just argued the whole time but somehow they managed to make an awesome bike I bet you saw it yeah you love them too right they made it for Shaq for like $85,000 Chopper chopper chopper choppers chopper orange county american steel chopper bike chopper frame rake ape hangers custom custom custom custom custom I love the discovery channel so much OCC WCC BAD DOG CHOPPERS CHOPPERS INC OMG I want to put beach bars on my refrigerator and like put a lowering kit on it but you know the wife making me buy a car and a house instead man but if it was up to me I’d be living free and riding free on the open road just like Peter Fonda and Jack Nicolaus but I wouldn’t get killed with a shotgun you know what I mean har har cause that would suck and I saw this documentary on Sturgis and all these people were there riding free and checking out the black hills rally rally bike bike custom chopper chopper fabricate chrome chrome chrome sturgis I was gonna ride to sturgis this year but I didn’t have a bike and I had a trailer to bring it but the wife made me sell the trailer hitch so she could buy a new eddie bauer stroller for our baby and some cleets for my kids man I know my kids will grow up to be bikers but right now I’m doing the parenting thing and stuff I may look soft but I’m deep down a real hardcore free riding open road biker man just like you trust me if I had the dough I’d be cruisin with you just like Orange County Choppers check out this tattoo I got it’s a maltese cross I don’t know what that means but its all over every chopper thing because I love choppers you love choppers we all love choppers choppers choppserchopperschopperchopperchopper CHOPPERCHOPPERPEOHRHCHEOCPEPOCHEOR OMG OMG OMG CAN I HAVE SEX WITH YOUR BIKE AND SEND PICTURES TO JESSE JAMES I LOVE BIKES MAN BIKES BIKES BIKES CAUSE LIKE THE OTHER DAY I WAS BUYING SOME BEAN DIP FOR THE LITTLE LEAGUE PARENTS MEETING AND I WAS TALKING TO THIS OTHER GUY WHO REFS THE TIGERS AND HE WAS LIKE MAN ID TRADE IT ALL FOR A RIDE ON A CHOPPER BECAUSE I WATCH THE DISCOVERY CHANNEL 24 HOURS PER DAY BECAUSE ALL THEY EVER SHOW IS CHOPPER GARAGE SHOWS AND THOSE MEN ARE ROUGH AND TOUGH AND THEY WILL BLOW YOUR HOUSE DOWN JUST LIKE THE WOLF IN THE THREE LITTLE PIGS EXCEPT NOT A WOLF BUT LIKE A V-TWIN WITH A BIG WIDE OPEN EXHAUST WITH NO MUFFLER BECAUSE NOISE IS GOOD AND BIKES ARE GOOD AND I LOVE CHOPPERS CHOPPPERS BEACH BARS CHROME CHOPPER RAKE MAN, I’M GONNA MAKE ME A BIKE WITH LIKE SO MUCH RAKE THAT MY BARS JUST GO STRAIGHT OUT ALL THE WAY TO STURGIS AND CHOPPERS ARE COOL BECAUSE THEY CAN’T TURN UNLESS YOU HAVE A FOOTBALL FEILD BUT THATS OK BECAUSE I’M LIVING HARD AND RIDING FREE AND I WEAR CHAPS WHEN I GO TO SLEEP BECAUSE THATS HOW HARD CORE OF A BIKER I AM JUST LIKE JESSE JAMES AND JACK NICKALOOS EXCEPT I HAVE DON’T HAVE A FOOTBALL HELMET PAINTED GOLD BUT WOULDN’T THAT BE AWESOME JUST LIKE IN EASY RIDER MAN HEY WANT TO COME OVER TO MY HOUSE THE WIFE IS WATCHING THE BACHELOR II I HOPE SARAH WINS BUT ANYWAY I TAPED AMERICAN MONSTER CHOPPER GARAGE JAMES JAMES JESSE JAMES CO INC INC AND WE CAN WATCH IT IN THE KIDS ROOM BECAUSE THEY’RE AT PIANO LESSONS TILL 9 ohhh man ohhhh man I loves me some bikes gently caress it man lets just go to the bar right now and sell this truck right now that’s how hardcore I am I mea YOU KNOW ME MAN I DON’T EVEN GET BEHIND THE WHEEL TILL I’VE HAD A SIXER MAN I DRIVE BETTER WHEN IM DRUNK JUST LIKE JESSE JAMES YOU LIKE GRASS MAN IVE GOT GRASS WE CAN GO SMOKE SOME GRASS IN MY GARAGE JUST LIKE ON EASY RIDER BUT WILL HAVE TO MOVE THE KIDS BICYCLES OUT OF THE WAY BUT THATS OK BECAUSE WE’RE HARDCORE AND WE DONT GIVE A gently caress CHOPPER CHOPPER APE HANGER FOOTPEG BEACH BAR EASY RIDER CHOPPER CHOPPER CHROME CUSTOM FABRICATION PAINT 17 LAYER PAINT JOB BUT THE SEAT MAKES MY rear end SORE SO NORMALLY I LIKE TO GET A GOOD SIZED PILLOW AND PUT IT DOWN THERE FOR COMFORT YOU KNOW HOW IT IS AFTER RIDING FREE FOR SO LONG YOUR rear end GETS A LITTLE SORE BUT YOU GET USED TO IT AND YOU LEARN TO LOVE IT RIGHT MAN AM I RITE? !??!@$)! *&Z*t7 -tghyepsihg eoirgu eiugeodiuf g.,dfg
……………….. “

By now I’m about 6 miles away wishing Sportsters had bigger gas tanks and planning new strategies to avoid repetition # 193 of this pointless conversation.

Pointless, just like a chopper. Especially the over-the-top ones on the Discovery Channel. They are cartoon bikes. Choppers are the Desert Eagle .50 of motorcycles. Big and badass and striking and different but for all logistical and practical and resonable purposes, completely loving useless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Speaking of quitting, my wife and I hit 90 days of sobriety and we're doing a lot better. I wasn't really having any problems with alcohol but knew that she wouldn't get better if I was drinking around her so I stopped as well. Already lost a few pounds of beer love handles and feeling way healthier than I have in years.

• Locked thread