Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

cheetah7071 posted:

I like Pulaski more than Crusher but that's more a condemnation of Crusher for being extremely boring. The only good episode I can think of focused on her is the one with the warp bubble

I used to like this episode a lot, but it's one of those episodes where knowing the twist makes the episode weaker and less fun to watch on repeated viewings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Rewatching The Outcast right now and it makes me sad the producers were so anti-Geordi-beard. Otoh, it might have made all his failings with women harder to believe.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I just got back from watching Beyond, and without saying anything spoilery, I will say that I honestly think it has the most ensemble feel of any of the Star Trek movies, old and new. I think one thing it really has going for it is that while there was still some of that Kirk/Spock/McCoy triumvirate thing going on, no one got short shrift in this one. Plenty of screen time for everyone and it seemed like everyone had something important to do.

Also, full spoiler ahead the revelation of who Krall was came a little too late to be effective, but I was still disappointed at the end when I thought he was going to redeem himself by flipping the last switch and saving Kirk. I realize it would have been a bit of a stretch given he was already portrayed as a genocidal mad man, but it would have been nice to finally have a villain defeated by words in a Star Trek movie. Also, after the talk about a "more advanced design under construction" I was pretty disappointed that the 1701-A wasn't a JJExcelsior or something.

Overall still a pretty drat enjoyable movie. I'm still feeling the hype but I think once that settles down it will probably be my favorite of the 3 kelvin-verse movies.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Personally I think Orville looks kind of dumb but I will remain open minded. That said I am not a fan of McFarlane and casting himself as the lead is pretty rich. He's not a lead, he's a Hollywood writer, and looks the part. Maybe the smuggest looking motherfucker will be a good fit for a Kirk analogue I guess but I'm guessing he's going to use the setup of the ex wife thing to be a springboard for sophomoric misogynistic jokes.

As other posters have said, if it turns out to be Galaxy Quest, great. But if it's Family Guy, blech. I just don't think McFarlane can himself. And why would he? He's got legions of adoring fans who don't have a critical thought in their brain about his shows.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Data's Day is a real gem of an episode. And it features the best recurring TNG character, Spot.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Holy poo poo who has time to listen to multiple one hour podcasts in which people discuss a television show most of us have probably seen multiple times and know like the backs of our hands? Good lord the commutes some of you must have.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Paradoxish posted:

I end up consuming like 10+ hours of podcasts a week since I mostly listen while I'm working. Even more than that on boring weeks where I can listen at like 1.5x or 2x and still focus on what I'm doing. Also like a poo poo ton of audio books.

I totally forgot that there are jobs where you can basically listen to the radio for your entire shift because I haven't worked one for so long. My current job does give me a little time driving around but like maybe 2 hours a day at most and usually not even that.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I really like how they made a big deal of STD being back in the Prime timeline, but then made the Klingons look like the Xtreme JJTrek versions. I will try to remain open minded, as I'm sure people were flipping their poo poo when TMP came out and Klingons looked entirely different, but... Eh.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Lol. I never watched Voyager because it kept putting me to sleep in the pilot, but I'm giving it another shot. It's hilarious how quickly it does away with any goodwill it started with for its novel setting and blended crew. By episode 3 the crew is pretty much integrated, the a plot is dependent on time travel and you've got Captain Janeway going with the most awful interpretation of the prime directive possible. Sprinkle in some idiotic technobabble and extremely clumsy social commentary. This show is loving dogshit and I'd sooner watch Enterprise again than another minute of this dreck.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Cristoph Waltz was born to play a Cardassian. They can put him in a feature length version of Waltz.

Feature length Chain of Command. Except Picard breaks out from Cardassian prison and escapes on a badass dune buggy.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Honestly Nemesis was terrible all around, but the thing that killed me most when I saw it in the theater was how clearly cheap it all was. Everything down to the score and sound effects just felt off to me, even as a dumb teenager. Even though Insurrection wasn't high art or anything, it still felt like Star Trek and had music and effects in line with the other movies. You could tell Nemesis was just thrown together to try and squeeze a last few dollars from the stone.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

The Bloop posted:

:(

And yes, that was a great episode. Maybe the best Lwaxana ep

In TNG yeah but not if you're counting DS9. Odo/Lwaxana forever ship.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

PostNouveau posted:

You're totally correct about all that but I will refer anyone who thinks Into Darkness was worse than Insurrection to this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyyjCn1ML3k

Nothing wrong with this clip other than Picard's clear surprise that Worf doesn't know some 19th century human songs or whatever.

Replace this scene with "Sabotage" and throw in some lens flares and you've got JJTrek.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
So uh. I got a free week of All Access and finally got around to watching STD. Although I'm personally finding it not terrible, it feels like it's made by people who wanted to make a prestige Star Trek series without understanding "prestige" tv or what people like about Star Trek.

Also I find it hilarious that they redesigned the poo poo out of the Klingons but decided that Vulcans, Tellarites, and Andorians were fine the way they are. The mirror stuff is better than anything else on the show yet but I've got four episodes left.

It's not so terrible that it couldn't be salvaged come season 2 but if the writing and production staff remains largely the same I won't be holding my breath.

Does anyone here know why they felt the need to jazz up the Klingons in both JJTrek and STD? Did the Motion Picture just set a precedent? Anytime Trek is revived the Klingons have to look different?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

The Bloop posted:

they dumb

Really, I think redesigning Trek at this point is a huge vanity move and a terrible risk, which they basically failed

It's weird because I think the ships and tech stuff looks mostly fine and I'm okay with moving past the idea that everything needs to perpetually look like the 1960s in that era of Trek. But yeesh. Those Klingons look rough and it constantly takes me out of it, even though they are still speaking Klingon and ranting about Kahless all the time.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I don't really think the Klingons in JJ Trek looked all that different. It was the same basic idea, they just ditched the hair and added some piercings (which I thought worked). A little more intricacy in the makeup. It didn't strike me as a major redesign, just some tweaking so as to fit in with the new aesthetic and reflect the film's budget.

Discovery, who knows?

I think taking away the glorious manes of the Klingons is pretty bad either way. Just look at Worf over the years. From Prince Valiant to Lara Croft, Worf had got it going on.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Are you saying Plummer as a bald Klingon wasn't incredibly badass?

He was indeed, but he wouldn't stand out among the many grumpy rough pates of the STD Klingons. Well, except that he had rad facial hair. I didn't see any of that in Discovery either. Except for Mirror Sarek's goatee.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Finished up STD and thought it ended a lot better than it started. The Enterprise showing up is definitely some pandering but it was loving gorgeous. It would be pretty neat to see a season of the Discovery and Enterprise crews working together on some weird space missions, and I wouldn't even be upset if a young science officer Spock showed up. Though I'll be honest I sort of wish that we were getting the Robert April Enterprise rather than the Chris Pike one because we already have a couple of good Pikes in the Trek verse.

I read a book once about a young Kirk going on a space adventure with his dad on April's Enterprise and thought it was kind of neat but I was like ten or something so it might have actually been terrible, but it's sort of stuck with me ever since. I like the idea of the Enterprise having a fairly storied history before Kirk came along.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

FlamingLiberal posted:

They actually did redesign the Tellarites. On Enterprise they looked somewhat more like the TOS version from Journey to Babel, but with better makeup. On DISCO they look like orcs almost.

I really want to know who it was working on DISCO that felt that the Andorians needed to look exactly the same as on ENT but they all have incredibly deep voices now?

I didn't think the difference was that terribly extreme but the Andorian thing was weird. loving hell just throw Jeffrey Combs back in the makeup and have him be Shran's grandkid or something.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

FlamingLiberal posted:

At least they did reference Robert April among that list of 'exceptional Starfleet captains' along with Pike, Archer, and Will Decker

Oh good eye, I noticed the others but missed that somehow.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Zesty posted:

Discovery Andorians looked good. Now that they have the makeup made for this series, I'm hoping they'll use them more.

Now if only they would just go back to TNG makeup for the Klingons and just never mention how they looked different in the first season.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Me sometime next year: "Man, I thought the first few episodes were okay, but the rest of the season just being shot for shot remakes of Shades of Gray with the original TNG clips intact was really weird."

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
All the kid actors in Rascals were pretty great and it's honestly enough of a feat for 90s TV that the rest of the episode gets a pass from me.

I always get annoyingly preoccupied with the way that the transporter accident happens and Crusher and Troi instantly start questioning whether Picard should remain a captain. Like, they go out of their way to point out that everything with their mental capacity remains unchanged but oh no they have kid's bodies so they'd better be treated like kids! Given all the other weird poo poo that happens to Starfleet officers in the course of the various shows it seems really stupid.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Roadie posted:

It's stupid but also kind of brilliant because they do a reasonably good job of keeping all these versions distinct, so while you know they're never going to jettison the actor, there's some actual drama in whether or not this specific Bob that you like the most will survive a given situation.

I will never forgive Berlanti and Co for going to such things to redeem Laurel as a character only to kill her off. Her alternate character is fun but I really liked her once they finally let her cut loose as Black Canary.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Nessus posted:

I could see an argument that if the problem is not fixed, Jean-Luc's gonna go through his puberty time again in a couple of years and it'd be really awkward if he becomes a moody bitch because his balls are dropping in the middle of a diplomatic conference with the Tytytyatarians. Didn't they propose he take a leave of absence and come back to the fleet when he was physiologically 30 or something?

Yeah but it's not really presented that way in the episode and it's just weird that they almost immediately start pressuring him to step down despite knowing that he's essentially the same person. It's stuff that doesn't make a lot of sense knowing the enlightened Federation that TNG was supposed to represent.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

tarlibone posted:

Honestly, I think it's because of how they're shot.

In the 60s, it was on film, because film was all that was available for high-quality filming. Videotape was still a relatively new thing and you might see it used on game shows or whatever, but I'm not sure that even started happening until the 70s. But film gives you a certain look and feel. Even the bad production values aren't as glaring because everything back then kind-of looked the same, because everything was on film. Even a mostly blank panel painted orange with 3 blinking lights on it (Star Trek TOS) looked OK against a console with HAL 9000 because you knew you were watching a TV show and not a huge-budget movie, and everything looked OK.

But cheap production in the 90s was glaringly cheap. Videotape made everything look a little too clear and smooth, much like it would look if it were shot on a camcorder. Which is how shows like B5 always looked to me--the first time I saw it, my thought was, "oh, this is another camcorder show," because that's how they all looked. There's just something about the images produced cheaply via good quality videotape cameras back in the 90s... I don't know. It just always looked a certain way to me, and it felt more like someone camcording a play instead of filming a show.

OK... now go ahead and tell me B5 was shot on film. I enjoy being wrong about things.

I'm not going to quibble over minute details but I'm pretty sure I saw 4 lights.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Man as much as I would love to see Sir Patrick return as Jean-Juc Picard, anything not already in production would probably be firing up close to his 80th birthday? Like the dude is in fantastic shape for his age but it's probably something they should have done sooner.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

McSpanky posted:

Warp 10 is FAKE SCIENCE!! (But really, trash science journals suck and this poo poo needs to be rooted out.)

That's not necessarily accurate. Probably the best jai alai player ever is playing right now while that sport is on full life support with a signed and notarized DNR.

For the longest time I thought jai alai was just something that got made up for Mad Men.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Cythereal posted:

It's just a ship, they can always build another one. Just look at Sisko, the Defiant gets blown up by the Breen and he just gets Starfleet to rename another ship the Defiant and assign it to him.

If anything, Kirk seems to be the odd one out among the captains for being so passionately attached to his ship. Sisko gets another ship of the same class right off the assembly line without missing a beat, Picard trades in for a better model.

The gently caress. mods????

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Brawnfire posted:

AbsolUTELY Picard. My God, he'd write a sonnet about it.

To what shall I compare this lovely rear end?
No two moons are anywhere akin
in loveliness and roundness or gas pass'd,
as this I chance to place my tongue within

:five:

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Drashin posted:

So I have been thinking about subscribing to CBS all access to watch Discovery and I was wondering what the general feeling of the show is? I haven't really heard much about the reception and I liked what I saw in the first episode that aired on TV but I was wondering if it was worth a subscription. Please try to refrain from spoiling me.

If you can get a 7 day free trial through Amazon Prime I'd recommend that for sure, otherwise I thought it was worth 9.99 to binge through and then cancel my sub. I wish it was a little more recognizably Trek (not sure wtf is going on with the uniforms given we are only supposed to be ten years off from Kirk and Co.)

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Brawnfire posted:

I want a van with that airbrushed on the hood. The side would be a mural of DS9, the wormhole, and the defiant. The wormhole disappears when the door is open. The back is morn at the bar

Given the correlation between Trek fans and pedos, maybe not the best idea.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Alan_Shore posted:

Even Michael Bay doesn't have gently caress tons of swearing and racist language everywhere. I'd love for Tarantino to challenge himself and try to do genuine Star Trek, let's hope he's up for the challenge.

I want to see Tarantino do a version of Star Trek IV with the reboot cast.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Binary Badger posted:

Has anyone bought one of these hoodies?

https://kevf.com/collections/movie/star-trek

Kinda want this one:

drat, I need that DS9 version in my life. Also lol at the TMP hoodie good Lord it's loving hideous.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

The Bloop posted:

The DS9 one is hurt by the printed on combadge. I think that's what really saves the ENT one

Yeah, I guess you would just have to get a combadge replica and pin it over that so you wouldn't look weird or anything.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

The Bloop posted:

I think I see what you're doing here, but it would look much better without either! I guess you could pin on a badge if you were going to a con or something

I mean tbf as a Trek fan I think seeing the uni design without a combadge looks really weird, despite it making the sweatshirt less normy for daily wear. But I see the point about the ENT ones, though they still have tank pips.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Brawnfire posted:

I wish I still had all my Star Trek micro-machines.

Although the one ship model I've ever really REALLY wanted was a scale Red Dwarf.

My local comic con had a booth with a girl who was selling keychains and earrings made with the old Star Trek Micro Machines. I wonder if she wouldn't have been more successful just reselling them. I would have bought the Miranda class for sure.

On that note I love how cheap the TNG playmates figures are. I've never been an action figure collector but I have been buying one for like 5-10 bucks each at each con I go to and I almost have a full bridge crew. Only missing Crusher, Wesley, and Yar at this point (and technically Dr. Crusher's not bridge crew I guess).

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Aug 2, 2018

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Phylodox posted:

I’m in the middle of re-watching all of Star Trek. For everything post TOS and the films it’s my first time watching it since the original broadcast. And all this talk of Voyager is giving me flashbacks. It’s going to be a long time, gettin' from there to here...

I never even finished Enterprise the first time...

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Tunicate posted:

If everyone is so happy, why are so many people leaving?

There's a lot DS9 got wrong about Star Trek in service of being a better, more compelling show. Nonetheless, those people pretty much always turn out to be morons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Fuckin' hell I need that. Do you have a storefront or something?