Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Seriously echoing all the praise that Beyond is getting - it's pretty fantastic. I don't think I could have really asked for more, especially the numerous callbacks to Enterprise, which I always have a soft spot for.

Also, just to remind everyone that we're supposedly getting the first official details on the new Trek series today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Duncan Doenitz posted:

Forgive me if this has been asked before, but given how heavily Beyond references elements of ENT, is there a mostly agreed upon list of episodes worth watching? I've been binging on Netflix and it's kind of a slog, and that theme song :barf:

Enterprise is a good show. If you really want to skip over some stuff, you can probably miss most of season 2. Seasons 3 and 4 are usually pretty excellent.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
So any speculation on a time period? Almost looks post-ENT yet still pre-TOS.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Hey man, if Marc Alaimo can be both Generic Cardassian Baddie and Gul Dukat, Elba can pull it off as well.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I think it's pretty funny that Les Moonves is hyping up the new series, when he was the one who ordered the cancellation of Enterprise a decade ago.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I actually thought the show did a pretty good job with characterizing Reed. Hell, I even liked the episode where the B-plot was literally just the crew trying to find out what his favorite fruit was.

Also, drug addict and half Romulan T'Pol was great.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Tunicate posted:

He kept getting told to make the music worse because if it was too good it was too noticable.

After watching the composer's documentary on the blu-ray sets, I got the impression that Ron Jones's attitude to that was "gently caress you I do what I want".

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

I literally just finished this episode. I haven't watched Voyager consistently for years, but seriously, this is TNG Season 7: The Series.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Rhyno posted:

I'm 10 episodes in and Voyager is like torture.

I'm on a rewatch now too, and I'm in the middle of Prime Factors as I type this. It's...okay. Emanations was actually pretty decent, though.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
The Offspring also has the honor of making me sob like a little bitch at the end. Data just not getting the sense of horrified loss everyone else feels just drives it home. God, what a good episode.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Threshold could have been good if it was about the mental repercussions of seeing all of time and space at once.

Source: am currently watching Threshold.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Powered Descent posted:

I don't know. For all the poo poo Spock's Brain gets, it kinda mostly narratively hangs together, at least if you don't think about the back story too hard.

As for The Alternative Factor... man, I still don't even know what the hell happened in that one. Something about an antimatter universe and one of the Lazari is insane and there's like a false-color doorway universe, and they have Spaceman Spiff's little ship, but I don't know what the hell any of it meant or why it happened.

I unironically love The Alternative Factor because it is incomprehensible nonsense.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Q_res posted:

The funny thing about Threshold is just how solid the string of episodes immediately after it are.

You weren't kidding. I forgot how good Meld is. What an inexplicably great episode.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
There's a few "handsome diplomat boards the Enterprise and stuff happens" episodes of TNG that seem new to me every time I watch them, but that's because my eyes and brain glaze over ten minutes in.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Nah, the entire series is probably going to be an episode of Trek where we learn the errors of those ways, except rather than wrap it up in an hour, they are going to belabor the inevitable over the course of a full year because they want to imitate "prestige" television.

If this were TNG, Michael Burnham would be the guest character on trial for starting an incident with the Klingons, and it would end with Picard speech-shaming her and end on a bittersweet note that one day she may redeem herself.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I get the sinking feeling that we're not going to get a season 2, no matter how good this actually ends up becoming. It could do massively overseas, but if CBS determines that it isn't bringing the numbers they want for their streaming service, they're gonna shut off the lights.

This is and always has been a giant advertisement for their foray into the streaming market, which is such a colossally dumb "hey I wanna be one of the big boys too" move. Just license your IP to Netflix and Hulu and then everyone's happy.

Hopefully I'm just being overly cynical and we'll see more than 15 episodes of Discovery, because I'm totally down to see how it evolves.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
[quote="“Farmer Crack-rear end”" post="“476824619”"]
I thought Sarek basically said “what worked for us might not work for you, be really loving careful with how you use this information”?
[/quote]

Yeah, there were multiple people implying to Burnham that violence is probably a very bad idea, including Sarek. Michael was the only once acting like a complete loon, and in the end she got punished for it.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I legitimately suspect Sarek's inclusion was a concession from the CBS execs demanding some concrete connection to TOS, otherwise "people wouldn't get it" or something. The recent interview with Kurtzman suggests they're trying to avoid crossover with the Enterprise's domain as much as possible.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
[quote="“Brawnfire”" post="“476864377”"]
By TNG everyone was tired of the TOS-era pings, and were revisiting “vintage” bridge soundscapes.
[/quote]

Hell, I can even get onboard with the holo-technology in Discovery falling out of favor for a century due to it obviously being clunky as hell.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Yes.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
The wall of fire on the bridge is a legit impressive effect for 1991 television.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Jonathan Frakes directed this one, and this is probably why he has a very successful television directing career to this day.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Shibawanko posted:

Yeah when DS9 is dark, it's usually because it's in a context of war, or because of some problem that you can take seriously. The mirror episodes are an exception.

Voyager is dark in an oogie boogie, spiritual kind of way. It deals with fear and nightmares and chaotic dimensions and the afterlife and magical indian rituals. It's basically a gothic horror adventure show, like they outsourced the scenario writing to a local Wicca coven. It doesn't need to be set in space. There's only a handful of episodes where it really feels like speculative science fiction, I like the episode "Blink of an Eye" for example, and the "Year of Hell" two parter. Other than those the delta quadrant feels like the haunted house part of space, it isn't a place where you can have cool adventures, it isn't even about tough survival situations, it's mostly about fighting ghosts and demons or hostile alien species with some kind of implausibly sadistic or depressing racial trait.

In DS9 you get some throwaway episodes where implausible stuff happens, like when a runabout shrunk to the size of a golf ball and they flew around a Klingon infested defiant fixing circuit boards, but it's always fun and speculative, not gothic.

This is accurate. It's like the producers saw Sub-Rosa and went "I want seven years of that, please".

...actually, TNG season 7 truly was the blueprint for Voyager.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
[quote="“Al Borland Corp.”" post="“476955686”"]
I’ll give that the humor may not be to your taste but as for reference based anachronism, what do you think is happening every time the Enterprise crew goes and pretends they are detectives or plays classical music?
[/quote]

Calling the Beastie Boys "classical music" in Beyond is one of the best jokes in the franchise. But also more realistic than everyone being obsessed with Bach on TNG.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

MikeJF posted:

Oh, the two-parter at the start of season 4 is basically the B&B legacy making GBS threads everywhere. Manny Coto took over in Season 4, but B&B left him a huge turd to deal with with the S3 cliffhanger. It improves dramatically after that's out of the way.

Until the finale, when Berman steps back in to crap all over the show again.

The two parter just before the series finale is the actual series finale for me, as it ties a nice bow thematically on the series. I just ignore the weird B&B penned fever dream after that.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
[quote="“Sir Lemming”" post="“477045860”"]
I recall reading, around the time Enterprise season 3 aired, that there was a script with Archer dying at the end and everyone else getting home safe with no last-minute time-traveling Nazi plot twist. It was either one of those fake things they leaked to throw people off the scent, or the actual series finale before they got renewed. Or maybe both.
[/quote]

I remember that, and I think that might have been the plan because it was looking almost certain Enterprise was going to be axed at the end of season 3. I remember it being a somewhat minor miracle it got renewed, and I think B&B had to throw together whatever poo poo cliffhanger they could think of in a panic.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Timby posted:

Wisconsin is great and I love living here. :mad:

When I lived in Wisconsin it constantly smelled like paper mills. Then again, the last time I was there was when TNG was still airing, so that could have changed.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Apparently I watched TNG as it was airing since I was a newborn, but the earliest episode I can remember catching first-run was Conundrum. MacDuff-alien getting phasered scared the poo poo out of little me.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Sash! posted:

Heck, I remember hearing that the Suliban were supposed to show up in some Voyager episodes, as a thing to reference in the next series to follow. Sort of like how the Maquis turn up in TNG specifically for use in DS9 and Voyager.

Also, that they were named after the Taliban, but because it sounded exotic. I mean, people knew who the Taliban were before 2001.

TNG and Voyager are such different entities to me that my brain finds it weird their productions overlapped so much. Like the character of Chakotay existed somewhere on paper while they were pumping out Sub-Rosa.

...okay no now it makes more sense.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Gammatron 64 posted:

Generations was a crappy, disappointing movie overall and was the worst send off to Kirk and the Enterprise-D you could have, but the movie certainly has its moments

Even Star Trek V has its moments

Into Darkness might be the only Trek movie where I can't think of a thing positive thing to say about it

ID would have been so much better if the Cumberbatch as Gary Mitchell rumors were true.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I watched all of voyager as a kid and the only episode I remember as being legitimately brilliant was the one where the doctor had a nervous breakdown. The only other ones I remember are the ones that were really hosed up (evil clown one) and the ones with intriguing sci fi bollocks that were good food for thought (that planet with accelerated time)

I actually just watched The Thaw again last night, and the design and production of that episode really gave me flashbacks to episodes of Are You Afraid Of The Dark for some reason. Like, I half expected to see a bunch of teens sitting around a campfire after holo-Janeway’s “I knowwwww”.

It stands out in a bizarre way from the rest of Voyager’s repertoire. It’s pretty good, nonetheless.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Gammatron 64 posted:

Ding ding ding, we have a winner here, this guy gets it. Moriatti was calling the Orville "comfort food" like it was a bad thing. Nope, that's exactly what it is and what it should be. Star Trek was always the ultimate feel-good show, and that's what it should be. And this kind of show just sort of went out of style.

Sadly, this is it. The powers that be have determined that optimism doesn’t make that sweet, sweet cash. And honestly, it probably doesn’t these days. Though I myself could go for a positivity injection in my media (Orville does a pretty good job so far, but I think its ratings are tanking).

The 90s were just a different time, when we were all looking toward the the future of the new millennium and the wonders it would bring. Now that we’re here, well...

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Mister Kingdom posted:

Store brand macaroni.

TNG is that locally owned comfort food joint in the hip part of town. Voyager is Applebee’s.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

EvilElmo posted:

Watching TNG from the beginning. Do they wind back the kid saving the day all the time or does that persist?

They replace a character each season with another Wesley. Wil Wheaton made bank in 1994.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

FlamingLiberal posted:

The Maquis were always the dumbest rebellion and I’m glad the Dominion wiped them out

Developed entirely to set up the new hit show star trek voyager, where two idealistically opposed crews have to work together to get home with dwindling supplies and resources

Lmao

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Discovery was actually really solid this week and the characters are starting to become more than cardboard cutouts. Stoned Stamets is quickly becoming the main reason I download tune in each week.

Dancing Stamets recounting how he met Dr. Culber was all kinds of adorable.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Zurui posted:

Honestly, you could probably cut several season 7 episodes together into one without anyone noticing.

I love season 7, but it’s the television equivalent of hanging out with your friends in your living room watching the food network instead of going out and doing something.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Grand Fromage posted:

I like Jadzia but I can't really separate the character from the deep and profound effects Terry Farrell had on my teenage boy mind.

This got me googling, and both Terry Farrell and Nicole De Boer are still mind bogglingly attractive two decades on. Fine wine, both of them.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Cythereal posted:

There's nothing "prestige" about using sex and violence to get viewers, video games have been using them since time immemorial.

Altogether, Discovery is sounding like a decent sci-fi action show and nothing at all like Star Trek.

Imo, it’s extremely Trekkish, especially the latest round of episodes. It doesn’t have the comfy Berman-era direction, but they’re starting to introduce themes and ideas that fit in nicely with the franchise. Though, I totally understand if it’s not everyone’s bag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Your own

Klingon

Jesus

Songs of Ak’voh and Devotion