Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Just finished reading 'The autobiography of Captain James T Kirk's, and it you're not minute details about everything from his birth, to the night before the launch of the Ent-B. It goes through the early career, five year mission, all the film's. Except one. STV. It's just him and bones sat watching a film called ' The Final Frontier's in a cinema on that Rome planet, that has turned them into pop culture icons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Phylodox posted:

Luckily, I still have my replica com badge from when I visited the Star Trek exhibition in England back in ‘95! Got my little brother to sit in Kirk’s chair, too, because I’m an awesome brother.

I saw that in Newcastle.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Phylodox posted:

I just watched the Next Generation episode "Haven" and holy poo poo, Deanna almost married this guy:

Fuckin' T-Bag.

Also, that box that shits jewels with a face that yells at you is the stuff of nightmares.

That's Armin Shimmerman

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

HD DAD posted:

Weren’t the directors basically given free reign (and encouraged) to light the sets as odd and colorful as they pleased, since they really wanted to hype the show up for color television?

It was more to do with coloured lighting gels being cheaper and quicker than actual repainting.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

The_Doctor posted:

He still looks amazingly terrifying today. I'd love to see him turn up in something like Westworld.

Isn't he more or less deaf these days?

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

[/quote]

You know where this needs to be crossposted to.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Timby posted:

I almost want to see this happen just for the hissy fit that Takei would throw. Like, his whining over them making Sulu gay in Beyond was embarrassing enough; he'd flip his poo poo after begging for like a decade to do a Captain Sulu movie or series.

I think gay Sulu in Beyond was a fair point. It was purely because the original actor is gay, not the character. It was simply a diversity box checking exercise. A lot of the LGBT community felt the same.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

CPColin posted:

How does a car ride a bike???

Not very carefully.

Seriously, don't be a dick, show some compassion.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Pick posted:

I'll try not to re-start poo poo, but it does end up being an issue, I think, that Brooks is very much theater acting around a lot of people who are very comfortable TV (and to a lesser extent, film) actors. It's not quite the same skill set, and to the degree it is, then the entire property has to lean into it. Shimerman is acting in a totally different way for a totally different purpose, for example.

Shimmerman was a Shakespearean actor before ds9, and is again.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Sir Lemming posted:

Yessssss I have wanted him to do one of these for a long time. It'll fit nicely alongside Bob Dylan and Tiny Tim's Christmas albums.

You paid retail? You paid TOO MUCH!

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

"Dignity and an empty sack is worth the sack" - rules of acquisition, #109

Not in the way you implied, but it's right. Just like rule 48. " The bigger the smile, the sharper the knife"

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

I said come in! posted:

Do the Borg have assimilated animals?

[timg]httpss://i.imgur.com/ePVXXf7.gif[/timg]
In Shatner's highly insane ' The Return' he has assimilated dobermans, of course. And I think some great tarantula mechsuit dude.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

The Golden Gael posted:

I got thinking about the Enterprise and her captains and read up on Robert April on Memory Alpha. Apparently Bob Orci wanted to make a rogue version of him the villain for Into Darkness? What the gently caress?

At least with Discovery they didn't poo poo all over him like that.

It was Pike in Discovery, April was before him. Also the first captain.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

I said come in! posted:

The next episode was just as loving stupid. Voyager must travel a month through a Nebula. One point it's 29 days, which somehow in a later scene gets translated into three weeks. The crew, with the exception of 7 of 9, is put into stasis. Somehow these chambers are enough to keep the crew safe, yet the hull of Voyager with its shields, is not? Also, the entire interior is safe from radiation somehow, and the crew is able to wake up just fine and not instantly die. 7 of 9 trips balls hardcore and imagines Tom and Harry dying, because she wishes they would both die for real.

It was so awesome they did it all over again for Enterprise!

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

I see those wee scamps over at Axanar are up to their monkey shines again. Bet CBS is overjoyed!

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Interesting distinction. Please explain.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

skasion posted:

Yeah, that’s actually the point of the episode. It wasn’t just “universe where everyone was evil”. It was a universe where WE were evil. It’s an anti fascist parable of the “it can’t happen here” variety. The Halkans don’t reject Kirk because they don’t think he’s a good guy, they reject Kirk because they know that evil can never be totally conquered, it’s within us all, only constant devotion to doing the right thing can ever save us from it. Our personal choices as members of society, not some quality of the entire universe, are what make us good people or scantily clad space Hitlers. The episode starts with Kirk saying he hopes to prove that he’s right and the Halkans should give him their space rocks, but he never does. The episode ends without Kirk completing his mission. Implicitly, he realized the Halkans were right, or at least that he would never be able to change their minds. Spock cracks a joke about how the mirror guys were stupid, evil assholes: the perfect example of humanity, in his eyes. Kirk contemplates the possibilities (of platonic heterosexual friendship) that his other life has awakened him to. Roll credits. The joke is that Beardspock has every bit as much chance of “saving” his society as murderous demagogues do of perverting ours.

What DS9 should have done with the mirror universe if it absolutely HAD to reuse the idea of evil federation, was make all the bad guys good as well. Klingons are a bunch of perfectly honorable space knights who all behave better than Worf and Martok, Cardassians and Bajorans are harmoniously allied, the Dominion as a benevolent pluralist hegemony. That would still be stupid as a follow up to Mirror Mirror, but it might have at least done something interesting along the way.

So, just Opposite day? Despite it being trampled into the dust, I prefer the idea that it rests on decisions made and beings of all kinds giving into their basest instincts.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

bull3964 posted:

It was one of Merritt Butrick's last roles too, dying less than a year later from AIDS.

Judson Scott was also the Romulan that Voyager beamed to the Delta quadrant from the past in "Message in a Bottle."

Check yourself, no one dies from aids.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

That was more fun than I expected

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

RIP Odo :(

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

This has made me irrationally angry.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Nice to see Sid. Been watching his zoom. I did like the revelation Dukat and Garak got drunk and shagged.

Episode 2 is up, too.

Trickjaw fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jul 17, 2020

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Pick posted:

"Poor Siddig, he has to talk to ugly women."

It was an observation. A cruel one, but if it offends, I'm happy to delete.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Have the Defiant go back in time too and the only way to defeat the Borg is to separate the saucer section and then combine the Enterprise with the Defiant in place of the saucer section, forming the Enterprise D-Fiant

Shattered, so where, is kicking himself for not coming up with that. A… he did was paint the Defiant black and rename it Enterprise.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

I think it’s meant to be Saavik but yeah, it’s a bad illustration

Nope. it's Uhura from TSS shoving that arrogant dick into a closet.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

HopperUK posted:

I really hate that he's called Nero.

HE HAS TATTOOS THATS CHARACTER

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

MikeJF posted:

He directs and also I think his voice was used briefly just to make sure his 'been in every single series' record stands.

TOS

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Timby posted:

And on what would have been Roddenberry's 100th birthday, it was announced that Rod Roddenberry and Trevor Roth are producing a biopic about Roddenberry's life.

I fully expect it to be sanitized horseshit chronicling all the fibs and tall-tales (like the Pan Am crash story) that Roddenberry loved to tell about himself and which were recounted wholesale in the unbelievably terrible Star Trek Creator book.

Of course it will. I'd listen to Bob Justman first.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

HopperUK posted:

That sounds amazing tbh. I'm (slowly) reading The Never-Ending Sacrifice at the moment and it's great. I had to get it because I showed 'Cardassians' to my friend and she got all fretful about Rugal's ultimate fate so I promised I would find out.

Any good? I never laid paws on 8t.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Zedd posted:

The episode where his parents used Hugh as a Bioweapon is one of the better VOY ones.

Icheb. Pay attention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Penitent posted:

It should have been crazy old man Jellico that got blown up on the Odyssey in DS9.

Actually, I don't know that it wasn't. All of those old white haired star fleet captains look the same to me.

Actually, it was Alan Oppenheimer, aka Skeletor.