Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

okay if shieldryukens are a thing i might have to give sns a try

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Rascyc posted:

Nobody seems to know for sure. I doubt it though knowing Nintendo.

nah midnight est sounds plausible, nintendo's definitely done it before

it'd be nice if they did preloading for mhg though

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Ojetor posted:

They've never done it for a third party game, AFAIK.

MH4U didn't get a midnight release on the eShop even though Majora's Mask 3DS released the exact same day and did get a midnight release. I was so disappointed that night.

oh yeah good point, hadn't thought about it being third-party

well that kinda blows, i work on weekends so i gotta get all the playing in i can on friday

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

DoubleDonut posted:

ugh, I barely got into MH4U after having about 200 hours in 3U and now I have to decide if I want to play it more or drop money on this one

4U will still be around whenever you want to do some singleplayer at your own pace, getting generations now means you get to do cool multi while it's new and fresh for everyone

(this is my excuse for buying gen tomorrow despite only sinking 15-20 hours into 4U)

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

the first town music is real good, haven't even fought a monster yet and i'm already having a good time

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

enojy posted:

I also can't find them! I did get the starter pack via DLC, but I haven't found the big grip of freebies because I don't have 99 honey.

talk to the cat in your house, there's a redeem thing for the mh4u stuff and then go into the dlc section to get the starter pack stuff

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

widespread posted:

Question on the Aerial style: How do I do aerial attacks if at all? Or is the jump solely for activating mounting.

For reference, I'm using a Switch Axe.

you gotta jump and bounce off of something(monster, palico, other hunter) to do aerial attacks after a jump

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I don't understand how charge blade works at all. Anybody got a guide for utterly stupid idiots like me? The ingame advice is useless.

charge up your energy by hitting poo poo in sword mode, sink that energy into vials (r+a), sink those vials into your shield for better shield defense and axe power(a+x cancelled with r in axe mode), put more energy into vials, spend vials in axe mode

cb has a definite flow to it that takes a little while to get used to, but once you do it's fun as hell

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i don't see why we wouldn't get XX

the real question is if we'll get both 3ds and switch versions or if NoA would want it to be just switch to give it another early life exclusive

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

ChibiSoma posted:

Let's be honest. This is as much Monster Hunter as Castlevania: Lords of Shadow was a real Castlevania.

Which is to say it's visually a spectacle and has a few characters that you might remember, but otherwise it bears little to no resemblance to the thing it's claiming to be. And then maybe Satan shows up.

what about mhw makes it have little resemblance to monster hunter

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Argas posted:

haven't you heard? There's no music for cooking meat

genuinely a bummer but i bet if the japanese fans complain about that enough it'd be a quick fix to add

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Space Hamlet posted:

Nintendo didn't mention Monster Hunter, is it time to panic

nah, the big main video they showed was nothing but switch games and they're still gonna be showing off more announcements during the treehouse

if XX doesn't come up then though then you should worry

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

ChibiSoma posted:

Oh look, that thing I was screaming about last night is true. They've abandoned real MH players and put all their eggs in that lovely action game.

Press F to pay respects. Monster Hunter is dead in the west. I'd love to still be proven wrong, but considering it hasn't been shown at all yet...

what button do i press to laugh at this really dumb post

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Squidtentacle posted:

I know it doesn't have 5 in the title but I feel like this is going to basically be a mainline game anyway. It's literally being made by the team who did 1, 2, tri, and 4, 3/4 of which were console games. Maybe they just decided to drop the numbers for now because they didn't want to start dealing with the Final Fantasy problem.

Which they've already created for themselves in a different way, but still.

imo they dropped the number so in case it bombs they can fast track an actual 5 that undoes whatever new things they're trying with world and write it off as a failed experiment they wont' do again

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Zelder posted:

Slow down on the straw man, my friend. Maybe I'm a weirdo but I like the idea of monster damage being represented by a monster slowing down/breathing heavily/losing limbs etc. It's not vital to my enjoyment of the series but I always enjoyed the lack of floating numbers

there's no reason they they can't do both, especially since seeing numbers fly up without a health bar doesn't tell you jack about how healthy the monster is

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Zelder posted:

Yeah true. For the record, I'm gonna buy this game, but I can't shake the feeling that this could end up like DmC.

don't get me wrong i think some skepticism is warranted, especially when monhun is basically the one big capcom franchise left that they've yet to gently caress up by misunderstanding their fanbase's wants

but they've shown so little to actually judge on one way or another so far

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Kay Kessler posted:

How'd they gently caress up Phoenix Wright? And they were able to fix Resident Evil.

i like phoenix wright but i dunno if i'd call it a 'big' franchise

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Your Computer posted:

And why haven't they showed us more? Think about it! :tinfoil:

because it's probably early in development and/or one of a billion pr strategies that has nothing to do with the actual quality of the game and involves slowly dripping out content to the public

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Zerilan posted:

Well the last thing I would ever accuse Capcom of is good PR strategies.

given how monhun fans are reacting to a new monhun with 'god why the sky is falling' i can't exactly disagree with you that they could've done a better job telling us what's up with mhw

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Wrist Watch posted:

Also why exactly do they need to make Monster Hunter for "western audiences"?

capcom doesn't learn

they went through this with DmC, they went through this with dead rising 3, they went through this with SFxT and SFV

the one bright side is if they're doing this again with as big a seller as monhun it might shake up their future as a company enough to make them reflect on why this strategy's been failing them for years

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

somehow capcom managed to release a new street fighter on pc/ps4 and a remake of sf2 on the switch without anyone getting confused

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Minrad posted:

Thread has so many new posts I probably missed this, but there's official word now: no MHXX in the west

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/e3-2017-capcom-not-bringing-switch-version-of-mons/1100-6450954/

E3 2017: Capcom Not Bringing Switch Version Of Monster Hunter XX To The US
The company confirms it has no plans to localize the title.

i'm going to be delusionally naive and focus on the fact that they specifically said there's no plans to localize the switch version and not no plans to localize the game outright

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Zelder posted:

Working at capcom has got to be a Jonestown esque undertaking

they had one of their big name fight game designers from the early '00s working on loving instruction manuals until he jumped ship to another studio(the kof team, i wanna say)

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Neo_Crimson posted:

Apparently you can change the voice acting to normal MH gibberish.

mhw will be....good

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

boo hoo the west only gets the simultaneously releasing badass looking new step in the monster hunter franchise and not the underbaked expansion pack of an expansion pack

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

if capcom is smart they'll make prowler mode dlc

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

ChibiSoma posted:

Nintendo got that side game that didn't sell for poo poo.

actually nintendo didn't get double cross

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

BabyRyoga posted:

If by uncle, you mean stoner friend

it sure means that in my family

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i just wanna see some not-dinos/dragons

gimme kecha wacha, gimme seltas queen, gimme lagombi

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Rainuwastaken posted:

I want Brachy too, but I think the poor guy could use a break. I don't think he's had a game off since he was created.

I hope they don't reel in the goof factor though. Zin, Lagi, and Glav are all fights I'd really love to see again, but they're pretty fantastical.

the chicken and the chameleon look like they've got some real goof potential

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Geomancing posted:

I've never played a Monster Hunter game before but World has caught my attention. I don't mind challenge but I hope there's enough explanations for players who are playing the series for the first time to not be completely lost.

it definitely looks like they're keeping this in mind, that first tutorial mission they showed off had the new guildmarm's voice chiming in to explain your basic mechanics as you play and stuff like simplifying the armor skills and always showing what buttons you can be pressing in the top right of the screen should help keep things clear for new players

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i'm gonna do it

i'm finally gonna hunt horn

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

being skeptical about mhw at first was just being good at pattern recognition, capcom had lost the benefit of the doubt when it came to trying to make their franchises more appealing to the west

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

charge blade was my first weapon and the only reason i wouldn't suggest it is because you'll have a hard time wanting to try anything else :twisted:

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Saint Freak posted:

Reveal Nerscylla.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i hope they don't change nergigante's name in the west, it's a fun name to say

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i love my new lizard son toby

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Your Computer posted:

If Monster Hunter World doesn't have transmog I will cry endlessly about it.

it's gotta have something similar if not outright the same thing, since the bonus samurai armor from the deluxe version has no stats and just acts as a skin for other armor

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Your Computer posted:

It's promising but not guaranteed. The samurai armor might be a sort of "consumable" that applies over your armor, which isn't the same as transmog at all. There might also be dedicated appearance slots for special skins, which again wouldn't be the same as transmog either (since you're limited only to special skins) :sigh:

yeah but they're being so good on qol changes in so many other ways it's hard to imagine them regressing from mhxx's system to something actively worse like this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

ive had a hard time getting myself to care about multiple cats in past games so i'm all for just having one special cat buddy to love and appreciate

• Locked thread