Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.
I kind of enjoyed Operation Double 007 just for how odd it was. Well, that, and the score by Ennio Morricone. How'd he end up working on this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I'm a fan of Circus On Ice, myself.

These two girls, they make quite a pair
They both come from your worst nightmare
They will haunt your soul forever
And now
When you see pink
You're gonna think
"We're doomed!"

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006

Jose Oquendo posted:

Italian movies from that era have some of the best music you'll ever hear in your life.

Hell, Agent Double 007/Operation Kid Brother had a soundtrack by the legendary Ennio Morricone.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006

Dawgstar posted:

Which short is the one where cartoon birds solemnly watch two kids die on, like, power lines and stuff?

That’s Play Safe, and I believe it just got released on the website a day or two ago.

e: JIMMYYYYYYYY!!!

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006

Mister Kingdom posted:

Say, it's been two hours, but it's still pretty warm!

:barf:

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I know it’s a silly one, but the “BAWK. BAWK. BAWK. CLUCK CLUCK. CLUCK.” from Pod People always gets me.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006

rydiafan posted:

HE'S A SORCERER!

ZAH!

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I love you this muuuuch...!

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006

Crazy Ferret posted:

Hell ya.

I know the chances of getting Day and Patton back are not good, but I'd love to see Jonah and the new bots get some more love. That show was really starting to come into its own.

I actually wonder if we might be getting Emily from the live tours as the new host. They seemed to be setting her up for the audience.

e:f;b :mad:

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I'm not gonna lie, I'm kind of hoping this meets all the stretch goals not just for the sake of 12 episodes, but also so that we get new shorts. The shorts that have already been riffed provide some pretty great jokes, I wanna see what they can do with more.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
For what it's worth, the total got a $25k bump several minutes ago. We're past $4.3M and closing on $4.4M now, so 9 episodes are just about in the bag.

ZZT the Fifth fucked around with this message at 16:22 on May 4, 2021

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
Hey! They took away the question mark! Now how will we inquire as to the mysteries of the universe?

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
All three hosts in an episode if we beat the last kickstarter? Sign me the gently caress up.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006

Chris James 2 posted:

$5.9mil with 45 minutes before the livestream!

Back under, someone pulled a $25k pledge.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006

Timby posted:

The Sword and the Dragon is the episode that's on Pluto right now, it's just wrapping up, and while the riffs aren't really amazing, this movie is an impressive whopper of terrible.

And King Ghidorah just showed up, what the gently caress

Honestly, I don't think Ilya Muromets is inherently a bad movie. Roger Corman's localizations of the film just kinda took a lot of the wind out of its sails.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Hard to see on my phone, is that a brain worms smiley?

What are we talking about here, having conservative political views?

He was previously one of the hosts of a podcast called "MulletCast" alongside Doug TenNapel (Earthworm Jim guy and very loud born-again homophobe/transphobe) and Ethan Nicolle (artist who drew the comics for Axe Cop) where the discussions went pretty brainwormsy iirc. Mike pulled out of the podcast after catching heat for it though.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006

Breadallelogram posted:

Which Mike podcast was that? The mullet one or the trees walking one?

That was absolutely the mullet one with TenNapel and Nicolle.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006

Angry_Ed posted:

Yeah it might be the most depressing movie done on MST3K and the fact they got good jokes out of it is a testament to their ability l.

I need to sit down and watch High School Big Shot - I'm morbidly curious to see if there's a movie that can eclipse the sheer bleakness of The Sidehackers.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
Is there a way to buy a Gizmoplex Pass now and gift it to someone around March 4?

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006

Diabolik900 posted:

I’m not sure about gifting it, but if you do want to buy a Gizmoplex Pass for March 4, you need to do it in the next few days. They’re treating the first few months as a sort of early access preview or beta. If you didn’t back the Kickstarter at a level that gets you a pass, you only have until February 18 to buy one, or else you need to wait until May to get in.

They’re selling them at https://makemoremst3k.backerkit.com/hosted_preorders

I already have one from the KS, but I have a friend whose birthday is March 4 and I want to surprise him with the gift of MST3K. :shobon:

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006

Ballz posted:

Bringing up Pod People reminds me of what I didn’t particularly like about season 12, where it was kind of forced to be a plot device in the host segments.

My biggest issue with the new episodes in general has been how they focused on old callbacks and tried to use them to carry new material. It’s one thing for a live show to be part of the “Watch Out for Snakes Tour”, but season 12’s focus on an Idiot Control Now (or whatever) felt cringe for me, while a friend who hadn’t seen Pod People in something like 25 years had no idea what was going on and why it was supposed to be funny.

Anyways that’s just my opinion and I still liked the episodes overall — the riffing segments were still top notch — it just felt like the “story” in the host segments were trying too hard. Will be curious to see how season 13 pans out.

I can't help but wonder if that was something that Netflix tried to compel, what with the whole "six episodes for people to binge in a row" thing.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
Apparently, all of Begle's social media has also vanished or been scrubbed. I hope this doesn't portend ill.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006

hybridnoisebloom posted:

i've been binge-watching a bunch of season 3-4 stuff because i found these VHS rips on youtube and the internet archive with the original '90s ads on them (really stunning confluence of two things i really like, i guess), and i'm actually really surprised i had gone this long without seeing Pod People and Master Ninja. really great stuff to zone out and get stoned to. y'all got any suggestions for classic/underrated Joel-era episodes that aren't all monster movies? i've been digging the delinquent-youth beatnik stuff a lot more than the guy in a rubber suit stuff.

Teenagers from Outer Space, I Accuse My Parents, and Operation Double 007 are pretty great.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I love you this muuuuch...!

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006

Hazo posted:

I honestly thought Bendy had something to do with Paul Sabourin and Greg "Storm" DiCostanzo, the two guys who've done most of the music and lyrics for the show since the Netflix reboot. They were one half of a now-defunct comedy a cappella musical quartet called Da Vinci's Notebook, who were active from the late 90s until around the mid-2000s. They did a mix of original songs and Weird Al-style parodies. If you know anything about them, it's probably their song "Enormous Penis," or you caught them on Comedy Central or the Bob & Tom Show. After the group stopped performing, Paul and Storm kept doing their own projects.

I actually knew of them from when they did some stuff for Homestar Runner (The Ballad of The Sneak, for starters). Sad to hear they're defunct :(

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
Okay it's not just me, the audio balance on the movie itself is really quiet.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006

Nemo2342 posted:

Well at least the 3D part was suitably trippy.

Felt like I accidentally wandered into an early season episode of Knightmare.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006

Dawgstar posted:

I wonder what became of the Widowmaker.

The actual vehicle, or in-story? Pearl and company were seen using it in season 11 at least. Possibly 12? I don't remember.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
On the subject of Carvel:

https://twitter.com/TanookiKuribo/status/1004727282555084801

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006

I Am Fowl posted:

I'm rather fond of Pipeline to the Clouds for esoteric reasons. Do you know the cartoon, 2 Stupid Dogs, that aired on Cartoon Network in the early 90s? There's an episode that sticks with me, that I was immediately reminded of while watching this short, where the dogs go to a farm and talks a ton about water and...it's more or less the contents of this educational short, to the degree that I think the writers saw it way back when and were referencing it.

FOOLISH CANINE! I AM NOT YOUR FRIEND!

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

I’m the Crime Bill, BANG BANG!

I always heard it as "Crimeville", actually. Which reminds me - Supercalifragilisticexpialiwacky always struck me as being weirdly right-wing compared to like 99% of the other political humor in MST3K.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006

Mulaney Power Move posted:

I figured Starfighters would get a mention but in my opinion it's saved by great riffing and its inexplicable cool jazz soundtrack. Plus, the host segments giving an extremely accurate portrayal of trying to log on to the Internet for the first time in the early days of commercial dial-up Internet.

🎵 Don't crap in your hand, crap in your poopie suuuuit! 🎵

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
On the subject of cuttng scenes, The Sidehackers had several scenes involving sexual assault cut, to the point where Crow had to mention that Rita was dead, because it'd be kind of hosed up to show what happened to her on MST3K. Not coincidentally, it was the last time they picked a movie for the show without screening it in full first.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I still haven't even gotten my shipping notification. :geno:

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I got the shipping notification Monday. My package was scheduled to arrive today, but it's currently several states away and apparently "delayed", with no indication of when it will arrive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I had forgotten that the *guy is hypnotizing someone* "SLEEEEP!" Tom riff was also in this one. I always thought it was a The Undead original but since that was a Mike episode, that can't be.

Dr. F also did "SLEEEEEEP in heavenly PEEEACE!" during the opening segments of Santa Claus Conquers the Martians.