Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

30.5 Days posted:

It's there, not sure why you couldn't find it, I just bought it.

I, too, am an idiot.

This game is adorable. You start the game with a book that contains a weekly schedule of community events that appears to be manually transcribed from the game's forums. That contains a link to an internet radio station and between songs they have this awful commercial for a player-created town. Some games have boasted of 1999 style mechanics but the amount of 1999 in this game is actually astonishing.

You know how a lot of people say what they miss in the MMOs today is the community aspect that old school UO had? You're basically playing with the people that made all that possible back in the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Alexander DeLarge posted:

That's what kind of worries me about these throwback MMOs. These people are either playing free shards or playing Richard Garriott's game. If and when there is a better alternative *cough*Shards Online*cough*, will those people actually move over?

Garriott basically is giving them everything they want and he has a track record with them. Why would they move?

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Alexander DeLarge posted:

How is this giving everybody everything they want? It hardly resembles Ultima Online and it's a clunky Ultima successor. I still recommend it, but they have the upper hand since this is THE ONLY recent crowdfunded throwback MMO sandbox that is currently running with persistent character progression besides Project Gorgon, but that's aimed towards Asheron's Call/Everquest 1999 players.

All they want is a graphical MUD that they can make songs in, write books, craft poo poo, and RP in. They want tavern nights, to put on plays, and have homes they can put thier crafted wares in. Garriott is giving them that and he is the guy they have been with since playing Ultima on their Apple IIs.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Can you guys stop talking about housing please. It's making me want to up my pledge to get a row.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Thursday Next posted:

The makers have stated that it will never be released (so they can hide behind "pre alpha" and other meaningless poo poo).

Node - you're good people. May you get your money back.

Did you set a Google alert for the keyword release in this thread or just spend all day hitting F5?

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

If I get one of the tax free lots does it ever decay? Like it I don't log in for a few months or a year will I lose my lot?

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Ah, okay, thanks. That better than IDOCs for me but sucks for other people's stuff.

IDOCs are In Danger of Collapsing. In Ultima Online houses were on a 2 week timer. If you didn't refresh your house by clicking on the house sign the house would decay over 2 weeks. There were various levels of decay and the last before collapsing was IDOC. When that happened the house would basically disappear and all the poo poo inside would be on the ground. You would have people who collected things for years all of sudden quit or whatever so the the value of the items would be in the millions. Guilds would war over the IDOCs and it was basically the best PVP UO had to offer.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

DancingShade posted:

Well on the upside everyone who didn't pledge or buy a bundle with a deed is getting free tickets.

I still maintain my stance that I have no intention to enter the lottery personally. I've got my pledge deed and that's all I need. Would rather some other player had a chance to claim a lot somewhere since it would mean more to them than to me.

If you win I would gladly take the plot off your hands!

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Anyone have a tax free plot they want to get rid of. I don't really want to live in a player town.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

yoloer420 posted:

Looks like they're testing out a free to play tier:

First step to maintenance mode and then another Kickstarter for SotA2!

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Capntastic posted:

Should have pledged more

Only reason it's failing is because people didn't.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Seems Garriott is doing an AMA next Tuesday. I have a nagging feeling that will not go well for him. How the hell does anyone in the company think that is a good idea?

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

iminers posted:

If Garriot is smart he wont use his money to fund this.

I saw he's selling a house in texas for something like 35 million or so.

Makes me wonder if he's gonna use that money to keep this game alive or what.

He's not dumb enough to back this.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Actually when press the button Iolo comes out of a side door and plays the song on his lute.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

I bought $1000 of bitcoin when it was at $24. Should I cash out and invest in Britcoin?

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Percelus posted:

when all the lovely kickstarters you've backed start failing one after another will it be a barrage of body blows that knock you out?

Alexander DeLarge, the Glass Joe of Kickstarter MMOs.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

I can't wait until British proves you all wrong. He had to fight this his whole life and proved everyone wrong every single time. His father was so disgusted that British wanted to bring joy to everyone's lives through video games his father literally left the planet in disgust. Never doubt the man.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

extra stout posted:

Thought about this 40 gig unplayable alpha recently when Camelot Unchained announced they got $7.5 million from some of the same folks who backed DAoC, and the beard programmer next to Jacobs said something like "So I won't have to cut off my beard and sell locks of it for 5000 bucks?"

Also after reading the previous page I think you guys should go easy on Lum, while this game is a permanent scam he is a good guy who just wants to keep his job, I would also be very interested in hearing the details of all the failure but it is probably not reasonable to expect or ask for it until it's all over

I don't see a Camelot Unchained thread so I hope one of you MMO whales puts one up once they make the beta announcement in a month

Weren't you the idiot trolling him while he was trying to play LOTRO?

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

CoffeeBooze posted:

Dont worry! Im sure theres a pre-release patch in the works that will fix everything!

So it's the opposite of the pre-release patch for Tabula Rasa.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

It's only a matter of time before different genres of battle royale games are released. Medieval/Fantasy/Sci-Fi/Mechs etc.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

"Darkstarr posted:

You will be a big part of our preparations for Episode 2 as we relaunch the Stretch Goal Store! You will get to vote on some of the Episode 2 features by purchasing rare items related to Mounts, Flexible Lot Placement, the Elven Playable Race, and Pack Animals. Stay tuned for more information soon!

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

TheAgent posted:

oh no, you should deffo try and make some excuses for the following, especially since you were one of the loudest people shouting down any negative posts or press about the game

and finally

no idea if you were a dev+ account or an RMT kinda guy, but holy poo poo dude, c'mon

at least try and explain to us why you thought spending thousands on this game and trying to get others to do the same was a good idea

PEOPLE SPENT MONEY ON SOMETHING THEY MIGHT LIKE BUT I TOLD THEM NOT TO. LOOK AT HOW RIGHT I WAS. LOOK AT ME. LOOK AT ME. I WAS RIGHT. I WAS RIGHT. GIVE ME VALIDATION. DAMNIT. I SEEK YOUR VALIDATION.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Relax Or DIE posted:

making fun of people who made dumb decisions online is at least half the point of this website

Go on...

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Only allowed to make fun of a group of people who thinks different than us and not just someone generally. Will remember for next time.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Holy poo poo. This is getting dumb. You can make fun of people all you want but when you start going look at how right I was, no one listened but look how right I am then you become part of the joke.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

RagnarokZ posted:

Seeing as this is free, I went in for a try.

It's total poo poo. Seriously. Just awful, ugly as sin, crap story and INSTANCES EVERYWHERE!

Can't have other peoples in my MMOs

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

big nipples big life posted:

I imagine it's pretty hard to offer office tours when you don't have an office anymore.

Strap a GoPro to Garriott's head and have him spin around his home office in his DXRacer Official Shroud of the Avatar gaming chair.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Capntastic posted:

Snoop Dogg offered to hang out with Notch and play videogames and Notch said “no thank you”.

That is all you need to know.

Wait, what?

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

I don’t smoke weed but would with Snoop.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Beefeater posted:

Boy I wish I could be there to hang out with Dirty GardenGnome and Buckaroo Banzai.

You don’t say, Beefeater.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Garriott knows he’s milked all he could from it and has found someone stupid enough to pay him for a corpse.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Garriott and Starr jumping ship right after Koster announced his project is some coincidental timing. I don't know who would want Garriott on their MMO project at this point. All the goodwill his name carried is basically gone but the timing is too hard to ignore with their history.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Rotten Red Rod posted:

This was before anyone really knew how to make money off that kind of internet credibility. He has to eat too.

He can work at McDonald’s. His ethics are worth his family to starve to score internet points with anonymous forum idiots.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

DropsySufferer posted:

I tried googling how much Garriot is worth and mostly all I see is he paid 30 million to go to space. So the guy is probably worth 100M+ if he has 30 million to toss away like that. Owns a castle, he probably just wants the old fame he had back in the 80s and early 90s. But he's old now and doesn't get it. Not sure if it's all about money with this guy or if he's just out of touch like Will Wright and spore.

I don’t know how much he is worth but supposedly NCSoft paid a huge chunk of that space fee for publicity.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

CoffeeBooze posted:

Lum was never a games journalist, he was just a blogger who popularized a particular style the came to be known as ranting. I like Lum and have enjoyed his writing for a long time but I think you are giving him way more credit than he deserves. Also, game journalism has been around since the 80s what the gently caress dude.

And the dude was a developer paid to work on the game. Of course he is a shill, that is part of his job. Its not like he kept that a secret and tried to mislead people about it. The dude didnt get rich from his blog or its successor Slow News Day. He has to work for a living. Its weird how many goons get upset about this stuff.

Goons love to throw stones in their glass basements.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

TheAgent posted:

Like maybe I need to post a huge DONT GIVE THESE PEOPLE MONEY post but ive done that for years so I dunno what else to do

The funniest thing about all of this you literally think you are some bastion of light singlehandedly fighting against a corrupt games industry trying to guide the sheep from handing over their hard earned money.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

TheAgent posted:

how much are you in for

$45

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Since Garriott washed his hands if this he will now send his Segway doppelgänger in his stead.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Node posted:

Well, um, you see, you can have dance parties in it, and that's pretty much it

It worked for Biodome so why not here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Lol he's actually been involved in a Entropia thing as an "advisor": https://neverdie.com/

I still don't really understand what Project Entropia is.

quote:

AMEVRICA IS THE FIRST CROSS PLATFORM , DECENTRALIZED, OPEN SOURCE, BLOCKCHAIN GOVERNED, MMORPG/VIRTUAL REALITY HYBRID WORLD WITH A CRYPTOCURRENCY BASED HUNTER GATHERER ECONOMIC SYSTEM.

How did this statement make it past the elevator pitch stage?