Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

At least Mexian media isn't as dumb as ours.

Alkydere posted:

Basically the prices were always really expensive, but they were hidden behind insurance for the most part. Pharmaceuticals price-gouged because they could, hospitals and doctors price-gouged to get the insurance companies to pay up. Which meant that insurance companies price-gouged and offered incredibly lovely coverage to a certain section of customers to pay for the gouging while also doing their level best to outright deny service to anyone who looked like they'd be too expensive to cover.

Obamacare tried to fix this by making it illegal for insurance companies to deny customers, and in return people are legally required to have insurance or pay a fine to better subsidize and spread out the costs to the insurers. Well that kinda worked for a while until the insurance companies realized they were merely making a lot of money ($$) instead of a fuckton of money ($$$$) and they started to bitch, whine and pull back where they gave coverage, especially when the government wouldn't bend over backwards to give them blowjobs. And besides, even if the insurance companies weren't being little shits, that would only fix one third of the equation because you still have expensive drugs and expensive service. These things were known but not so blatant before the shakeup because the insurance companies did their best to hide the costs, at least hide them to the rich, white people that mattered. Now with so much chaos in the system the prices are peeking through and even white people are being slapped with the nasty prices.

In short, while the real problem is and has always been that the American healthcare system is a pile of blood-sucking leaches you can totally blame Obamacare if you're an amoral shithead. In trying to fix the problem they created instability that made it impossible for the real problems to be hidden anymore. The prices were always expensive, and Obama tried to fix it. In doing so he knocked over the facade and now the price-gouging machine is visible to all and shrieking loudly enough no one without wads of lobbyist cash stuffed in their ears can ignore it.

Very true. The entire US healthcare system has been artificially inflating its prices in a ridiculous bidding war for decades and we get screwed over for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

This is about the point where she had to kick it into first gear rather than wait for Trump shooting himself in the foot anyway.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

If you want to get anything done these days, you absolutely have to remove the Republican's ability to temper tantrum about it to show off. Otherwise we get a repeat of Ted Cruz misunderstanding Dr. Seuss whenever we want to pass a traffic law.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

zoux posted:

Yeah, I don't like it because even if we win the Senate in 16, we'll lose it again in 18.

Also true. The Republican temper tantrum is having their desired effect of ensuring that they can continue to screw everything up later on since we cannot ever expect them to be reasonable unless they somehow man up and grow some principles.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Radish posted:

I'd like to think the media is really damaging their credibility with all this. Republicans already believe that the media is leftwing and untrustworthy; I can't think that this blatant double standard that some journalists are showing where Trump is being treated like a child and gets a gold star for eating his food without choking is helping them with democrats that are in serious Clinton "scandal" fatigue.

It is among the younger viewers who are abandoning traditional sources in droves, but old viewers are usually too stubborn to change and remain, which encourages them to keep on pandering to said viewers and trying to appear "fair" by justifying every reprehensible thing the Republicans have been doing for decades even though the demographic is dying off.

WampaLord posted:

Honest question, why does losing the Senate matter if Hillary can veto anything lovely that they pass?

The lack of a filibuster wouldn't change anything in that regard.

It does when we have to get anything not-terrible done. They'll block her even more than they did Obama since they saw how well that worked.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

mdemone posted:

Tom Cotton looks, sounds like, and is a stupid motherfucker. He's got no national upside.

Being stuck in the hick state that elected that bastard, I can confirm, but that doesn't mean much if he could find the same type of gullible dumb old white people to support him. Especially since Trump lowered the bar so much.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Do they really think that Trump has to be tricked to screw up?

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

FuzzySlippers posted:

Diane Rehm makes more sense now. I remember like a decade ago she sounded like she was going to die on air so I was surprised recently noticing she was still doing her thing. I know its not her fault but her voice makes me want to kill myself and get it over with.

PHC is the perfect example to me of a thing you like in the abstract but can't stand actually listening to.

Several Hispanic Trump surrogates reconsider support: "I am so sorry but I believe Mr. Trump lost the election tonight," said Pena, a pastor at Waco's Christ the King Church. "The 'National Hispanic Advisory Council' seems to be simply for optics and I do not have the time or energy for a scam."

I can't imagine how deluded you have to be to have stuck with him this long.

God only knows what kind of thought process it takes for this one thing to be the breaking point. I guess pure self delusion had to keep her in before it finally broke.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Nessus posted:

If Trump does one good thing, I hope he at least puts some damage on the reflexive association between "Republican" and "good" that a lot of the rubes seem to have.

A few pages back, but that will never happen. When he falls, all blame will be placed on him, Crooked Hillary, voting fraud, minorities, Obama, RINOs and just about everything else besides Republicans. The fact that he spewed the same gibberish that they demanded for decades will be completely ignored since rubes have been well trained to see that as an absolute good that can only be failed.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

TVarmy posted:

Amazing. They think just calling mass deportation humane will win people over.

I was honestly expecting him to keep saying he's listening to everyone's opinion and evolving on immigration until November. Or even say he's keeping his final immigration policy a secret so that the cartels don't plan ahead. That way, he'd still get to talk about building the wall and how terrible immigrants are, but also say he'll make nonspecific allowances for "the good ones."

Like with every one of their positions on minorities, think it'll win them over the squeamish white republicans who couldn't quite justify voting Trump to themselves and were looking for an excuse. The problem is that demographic is probably so small as to be completely irrelevant since everyone who would vote for him already is committed and it alienates absolutely everyone else, including their base of angry bigots who get turned off by anything other than frothing at the mouth racism.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Gyges posted:

Surprising that a bunch of racist neo-nazis in denial are big fans of a crazy Hitler speech. I do feel bad for Ivanka though. She seems to be a decent enough person who tried valiantly to get her dad to be reasonable and at every turn she was stymied by the fact that he's a giant, orange, racist, baby. She even tried a Russian take over, and daddy just ignored the dictator whisperer in favor of his racist buddies who make him feel good.

The Trump campaign is only going to accelerate down the path of insanity now. The last voices of moderation are quitting and being driven out. All that's left are insane people who are true believers in the silent majority and the power of hate. And those racist idiots are going to be so loving happy and adoring of Jersey Shore Mussolini that his narcissism won't let him do anything but follow them down this path.

Hillary is still not going to answer a single question or even converse with any member of the press. Instead she will spend 5 minutes of each day making them all sit on the floor of the plane while she reads to them from Abuela's Big Book Of Trump Oppo.

What worries me is that Trump surrounding himself with equally racist yes-men is going to get him really believing in his "rigged election" stories and order the remaining true believers following him into full on terrorism after his failure. The Neo-Nazis aren't going to take their one last real shot burning out lightly and he's not likely to do anything to discourage them. We are likely looking at a good number of hate crimes at minimum beginning in November.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

canepazzo posted:

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/771672562287935488

I just love these ads. "Here's what he said. Here's what actually happened. Your call"

Yeah, but it can't break through the delusion that the right wing has built up for itself. Fortunately, they are not the majority anymore.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Lightning Knight posted:

I mean, the only thing Trump might care about more than rally size is the approval of people richer than him. A rich person with Serious Opinions recommended Bannon, even though he didn't have anything new or good to offer, and bam, Bannon got hired.

It's funny that the media has so much trouble with Trump because he's not some big mystery. It's just that understanding and explaining how much of a fake con man only in it for the money and the fame Trump is requires admitting that he's not qualified to be President and that this isn't a real race. God loving forbid journalists actually do their jobs and report the truth, because that would result in less pageviews and ad revenue. gently caress the media.

They fear the loss of viewers and advertisers if they appeared to take sides. What they don't seem to care about is that they are already being labeled as evil liberal traitors because the right wingers have successfully indoctrinated their base into rejecting anything that does not support the "facts" they want to believe and that bending over backwards to make their insanity and open hatred seem legitimate is only making them even more rabid. They'd benefit far more from growing the balls to tell some actual truth, but they aren't brave enough to do such a thing and stick to their "truth is in the middle" and "both sides do it" narratives to play it safe. Even if it leads to the Republicans burning the country down around them and demanding their heads for not sufficiently bowing to their whims. When a group has gotten so crazy that Fox News isn't deluded enough, they aren't worth the effort.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

So the Trump campaign is basically what happens to every political subforum and Facebook group?

Yes, but with even less filter and knowledge.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/771772555539648512

If you're a republican and you find yourself saying this to FOX loving NEWS, it may be time to cut bait

Fox News has been falling out of favor for a while now. They just aren't crazy enough for Republicans anymore and, yes, that says terrifying things about the Republicans and the country in general.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

straight up brolic posted:

The emails thing is seriously pathetic

DemeaninDemon posted:

It was pathetic as soon as the latest Ben Ghazi hearing ended.

The sheer desperation to find something, anything to equate Trump to Clinton is baffling. How desperate can you get? I can see it with Republicans since they really want to distract from the fact that the Orange One is really just saying what they have for decades, but how does the media not owned by Rupert Murdoch or neo-Nazis (the ones that don't work for Trump already) get so terrified of the idea of bias that the have to reach this hard to make mountains out of every molehill and ignore the fascist rodeo clown's complete failure?

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

TheBigAristotle posted:

This whole FBI dump is going to inspire the biggest clusterfuck Ben Garrison cartoon ever.

I imagine that it'll involve mighty lord Trump-sama slaying the Hildabeast while accosted by the dreaded S J W trolls who fail to dent his powerful resolve.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Combed Thunderclap posted:

"...because I know how to do it, and therefore I can stop them at their own game!!"

This is literally their logic :haw:

That or "it won't effect me personally because I'm too smart!"

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Spatula City posted:

the really threadbare logic and weak poo poo reasons for not voting Clinton are pretty telling. I mean, I respect the conservatives who just say honestly that they think Trump can be tricked into doing whatever they want him to do when he's president, while Clinton will play hardball with them. but for the people that hold onto the emails or her supposed ill health or one of the other non-issues, I feel as if they really don't understand at all why they feel the way they feel about the election, and have never really taken any time to reflect on their own positions.

This. The whole Republican brand depends heavily on appealing straight to its voters' biases and emotions and suppressing their ability to think critically or dare accept information from other sources. When you question them on why they believe what they do, they almost never properly articulate it beyond repeating buzzwords since they don't really understand it themselves. That's not even getting into the denial of racism and history that the Republicans spew.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Speaking of, here's yet another article on how shameless NC Republicans are about preventing "democrats who just happen to be black" from voting:

"How dare you call us racist, we're just aggressively disenfranchising voters because they're democrats, so it's all above board!"

Notice they don't even bother using the "in-person voter fraud" fig leaf anymore.

So long as they don't appear on television in white hood, burning a cross and say the worlds "I am doing this because I hate non-white people and think they are inferior to whiites" they won't suffer anything for it. Honestly, these days, even that may not be enough.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Yinlock posted:

That's what the whole SOCIAL JUSTICE WARRIORS/WAR ON POLITICAL CORRECTNESS thing is about, things would be so much easier if they could cut out the middle man and just be openly racist/sexist/bigoted without consequence.

Exactly. All the hand-wringing from establishment Republicans is because they know that after his complete lack of subtlety, their base won't wan to go back to tried and true dogwhistles and they can't possibly get elected if they have to admit it. All their efforts to make their bigotry more acceptable by labeling the opposition as oversensitive whiners is failing since Trump leaves no doubt whatsoever of what they want. Combined with their traditional old white people dying off, they're panicking that they will lose any chance of winning on a national scale and they can't afford to change without losing what they have now.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Sep 3, 2016

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Yinlock posted:

The explanation is as simple as it is inexcusable: decades of indoctrination by the right fear-machine. The overall feeling of "Clinton is a shady liar" comes from a lot of hard work and constant baseless accusations, and the right has been presenting facts and feelings as the same thing, because it's one way to get around the mental paradox of conflicting beliefs. Combine that with the human brain's extreme reluctance to admit it's wrong(especially with the dumb/self-absorbed) and you've got a nearly invincible bullshit wall.

I.e: ""Trump is an honest man and Hillary is a liar", reality clearly disagrees with this, but feelings are just as important as facts and I feel that these things are true. Since they are true, anybody saying otherwise must be at fault because of bias. To take this train of thought any further would make me uncomfortable, so it stops there."

Things usually devolve to shouting if they get pushed beyond that, because admitting you're wrong etc.

Same as every other right wing position. What happens isn't as important as how it feels to you personally. Manipulation is ignored because that would require you to admit being wrong.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Lightning Knight posted:

To paraphrase Bioshock, everyone came to Rapture looking to become a captain of industry. They seem to have forgotten somebody has to clean the toilets.

We as a society happily teach people that some jobs are "lower class" and "don't deserve respect or good pay" because it's convenient to the capitalist class. Even when said jobs are necessary. Just because picking up the garbage or driving a semi isn't as glamorous as being a doctor or lawyer doesn't make those jobs less respectable or necessary, or deserving of good pay.

Basically, yeah. We punish people who do vital work with low wages for daring to not rise to whatever is considered proper at the moment.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Eifert Posting posted:

We're visiting my Korean wife's Brazilian friends and she's 'splaining to our hosts that Trump exists because American whites have an inferiority complex from Asians being the wealthiest demographic in America...

She had me up until she tied it into Asians.

Sounds about right until the Asian focus. The traditional white America Inferority Complex extends to all other races, including the ones that were eventually folded into the generic "white" label less than a century ago.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

AMorePerfctGoonion posted:

White rage on the surface and white fear behind it; they have a far too overactive amygdala. The authoritarian personality thread went more into this. Similarly, Trump voters are significantly more motivated by a fear of Clinton winning than Clinton voters are motivated by a fear of Trump despite what the media would have you believe. One reason I think illegal immigrants have become the target for so much hatred is that disenfranchised, uneducated whites fear being at the bottom of the social ladder, and if illegal immigrants are granted amnesty they will have no-one to look down on. These people want America to build a wall around itself, even on the Atlantic coast. They are driven by fear.

Conservative media more than proves how big fear is as a motivator to the traditional, fearful white conservative voter, yes. Trump's entire personality and history is ignored by his support because he promises them safety from the Other. Thankfully, the demographics have finally changed enough that this isn't a winning strategy despite how much the media likes to pretend it is.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

a) the media isn't actually as liberal as people pretend it is
b) actual liberals in the media often overcompensate for their own perceived biases and trash liberals/Democrats to prove how neutral they are
c) media people LOVE it when they get to be part of the story so being ignored is way worse to them than being attacked
d) Hillary press pool is watching their professional colleagues on the Trump beat get way way way more attention paid to them because of how many more stories they have, Hillary beat reporters probably feel like Hillary's refusal to engage with them is actively hurting their own careers and are lashing out at her in response
e) the media completely bought in to fringe right-wing conspiracy-mongering in the 90s and all had starry-eyed illusions that they would get to be the one to break the next watergate - when it didn't happen they blamed the Clintons for not being dirty enough rather than Matt Drudge et al leading them by the nose to one idiot conspiracy theory after another
f) because of GOP ref-working over the last 30 years, when a Republican says "where there's smoke, there's fire" while visibly pointing a smoke machine in the direction of a Clinton, the media can't help but chase the shiny ball because to them an argument means a story

This election, if nothing else has convinced me that our media needs to be uprooted and rebuilt.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Eifert Posting posted:

Reminder that this is exactly, word for goddamned word, what happened to the actual Jesus.

(Assuming he existed)

The irony completely escapes today's evangelicals.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Dexo posted:

If they don't keep the senate, hell even if they do it would be hard as poo poo to justify holding on to a justice for 2 years.

I think we all know that the Republicans take great pride in not doing their jobs when a Democrat is in charge. Two years won't be too big of a stretch.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Epic High Five posted:

That's weird, Reuters/Ipsos changes its models to assuming that minority turnout is massively reduced and white turnout reaches record levels, and suddenly Trump is picking up traditionally whiter states he didn't have before!

Is it just crappy polling to drum up horse race attention or do they really think the opposite of reality will happen here?

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Lightning Knight posted:

I'm not surprised.

I feel kind of want to feel bad for white people. There's nothing about "being a white person" that makes you an rear end in a top hat. Our ancestors have just forced us into a society that was built and designed to foster a notion of superiority among white straight dudes in order to justify why a handful of them had all the money and power.

Oh well.

I can't say I'm too broken up for the ones that willingly become hate Luton dupes to keep said elite in power even at their own expense.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

More proof that Trump is nothing new and Rudy was always a bastard who happened to get a lucky break for fleeting fame.

Defenestration posted:

While we discuss automation, LIU has locked out its faculty. On labor day.

Their contract expired August 31st, but they are not striking. 400 Professors wanted to work and were scheduled to vote on the new contract offer and instead LIU deactivated their emails and canceled their health insurance with no notice. Tenured faculty included. LIU then laughably assigned geriatric Deans to teach classes like dance and yoga. (To say nothing of complicated intellectual subjects.) Their excuse is that they promised students they would cap tuition hikes at 2%, and they can't afford to pay faculty at the Brooklyn campus equal wages as the faculty on the Long Island campus. (Guess what the demographics are of the Brooklyn campus vs LI)

The Nation also covered this. Looks like the University President Kimberly Cline is a proven strikebreaker who is austerity-ing the university into the ground. Tuition remains in the 40 thousands.

I don't know much about the negotiations themselves, but here's the current counteroffer (which LIU had to announce via twitter since they deactivated everyone's emails.
http://liu.edu/offer

Sounds like an 80's villain come to life.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

AMorePerfctGoonion posted:

Trump isn't an enigmatic or complex figure in any sense. He is such a textbook narcissist that future psychology students will probably be studying this election. Narcissists actually possess very fragile egos which is why they seek constant approval and praise even to the point of becoming pathological liars to others but mostly to themselves. Notice how Trump surrounds himself with sycophants rather than powerful allies? Narcissists are thus hypersensitive to any perceived criticism that threatens their delicate sense of self-worth and they usually respond in a disproportionate and nasty way to such criticisms by attacking their source. This is the classic narcissistic injury.

For example, Trump was obviously way out of his depth in Mexico and I have no doubt he was clearly told that Mexico would in no way, shape or fashion ever pay for his plan to build this 500 billion dollar wall, which is less a wall and more a monument to Trump's mighty ego as well as an Utopian metaphor for a walled-off white society than an effective or realistic method to stop illegal immigration. Even 66% of his supporters don't think it will ever be built.

Being told off by a Mexican of all people would have caused Trump severe cognitive dissonance, so he lied to himself and others that the subject never came up and once he was back in his safe space at his Nurenberg rallies his rage at being spoken down to like a child made him triple down on the wall and the most extreme elements of his deportation plan, throwing all the efforts to soften his image right out the window. This was almost certainly the Mexican President's intended result, and he played Trump like a vihuela.

The Khan thing actually hurt Trump for some reason, perhaps because reverence for the military is such a core Republican virtue... or pathology. Clinton will likely try to goad Trump into a state of injury and contrive it so that he lashes out against some conservative sacred cow or another. The way she responds to his attacks may also be enough for The Donald to lose control and the Dark Trump to emerge. I'm hoping for a Primal Fear-like ending.

Yup. The only thing new about Trump is that he reveals how vulnerable the country is to a narccisit because one of our parties has convinced their voters that's what strength is and that facts don't matter.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Sir Tonk posted:

what's that Matt, are we back to worshipping Putin again? Or am I mixing up who the lion is in this photo?

Did they ever stop worshiping Putin?

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Ron Jeremy posted:

There will always be a labor market. We just pretend to ignore it because labor is segregated from the profit by separating them into business entities like Apple and Foxconn and by separating them by an ocean. Labor is still there and in huge numbers, capital has just skirted labor laws by going around to the third world.

https://twitter.com/kmoxnews/status/772931836024467456

In other news Phyllis Schlafly is dead

A quick Google refresher has me agree that this woman's death is probably a boon for humanity.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Lastgirl posted:

im more interested in the debate in 3 weeks

I'm curious how hard the media will try to spin it as a match between equals if Trump fails to swallow his own microphone.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Texas going blue is a sign of Hell freezing over.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Lightning Knight posted:

lmao gently caress the American media.

If Trump wins I hope they're first up against the wall wondering how gosh, when did the fascists ever take over?

They are getting desperate to spin this as a regular election while ignoring everything out of the ordinary until November.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Rhesus Pieces posted:

https://twitter.com/theplumlinegs/status/773169386119131141

Has any major outlet or politician brought up the fact that the alt-right mostly consists of rear end in a top hat teenagers? I feel that's an important distinction that isn't mentioned enough.

How low can the bar possibly get? Will it be considered a success if he fails to insult more than four ethnic groups or pick out the US on a map?

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

nachos posted:

Sure, if the media chooses to cover it as such. A day after trump goes full hitler we get a bunch of hit jobs on Clinton out of nowhere.

Exactly. Trump's idiocy and his delusional fanbase have got them so scared that they'll validate whatever he says to keep from the dreaded bias.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Shifty Pony posted:

Aka the Gish Gallop. Throw 20 untrue statements and misrepresentations at your opponent and declare victory when they only manage to show that 19 are complete and utter bullshit.

I can't think of anyone more capable of picking apart that debate "style" than Clinton. The trouble is that she has limited time and actually picking it apart often makes the person doing so seem boring and nitpicking. Probably the more effective strategy with Trump will be to pick the most blatantly absurd thing he says, point out that it is wrong, and then parade it in front of him saying that only a completely incompetent dumbass could think that's how the world works. Odds are he doubles down on it for a few weeks.

When it comes to Trump lies, the problem is picking just one before he spews enough more to make the chosen one irrelevant. Besides that, she's got to contend with the double standard of looking "shrill" if she harps on anything too hard as a woman while Trump's nonsense thrives off any attention, especially if he goes mean spirited.

• Locked thread