Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

hevnz 2 murgatroyd posted:

My friend went on a Tinder date with a guy whose profile said he was 6'5". When she met him, it turns out he was 5'6". She pointed this out to him, and he got incredibly insulted and that it was "obviously a joke" that he put 6'5" on his profile. I wonder how many very brief first dates that guy went on? Being short does horrible things to men's brains.

Actually, the unrealistic expectations put on men by other men does horrible things to men's brains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

no dude gives a gently caress if you're 6' tall

the dick thing though absolutely

It isn't individual dudes, it's the entire patriarchal system. It's all built on expectations for men to be tall, muscular, big dick, etc etc.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

CheesyDog posted:

The part where he's black

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Smirking_Serpent posted:

White boyfriend (25m)...

...is a great guy...

...uses the N word “as a joke”

:thunk:

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Serephina posted:

This is a really hot one, and it's a shame people are skipping it. Sure, the wife is doing a very noble thing by adopting... 3 kids, one of which pregnant when she's minimum wage at 20. Holy gently caress, ok that can work with a shitton of work, you're a better person than me for sure. Also I'm not sure if she knows what she's getting into.

But the focus isn't the wife, it's the OP. He's 22, doesn't think he's ready to be a dad (fair), doesn't think they can realistically support 3 kids off of two min wage jobs (fair), and there's some weird sentiment about wanting his kids to be related to him by blood (questionable). The last point is a hot topic and entwined with abortion/adoption etc. It's a "selfish" sentiment only in that it's not as generous/benevolent as adoption. But a person's will/want/right to reproduction is kind of a fundamental thing -- I personally will never be a parent, yet would never berate a person for daring to have their own offspring instead of adoption. So his final point is kinda weak, but it's a common sentiment, not a wrong one per se, and also rather more common with younger people.

I just can't really find him to he an rear end in a top hat, even if the setup leaves him being super cold-hearted. Another persons toxic/poor decision making is having knock-on effects, and he's 22 years old and doesn't want that burden, and his wife making that decision for him is rough.

I can't blame him for bailing.

The most important part of all this to me is that they already discussed this years ago, and he made himself clear that he didn't want to raise these kids, and they agreed that it wasn't going to happen. It isn't like this situation suddenly popped up and they are swooping in to save the kids.

And calling someone selfish or questionable for "wanting to have his own children when he is ready to have them" instead of "adopting drug babies from someone else's family against your will" is a hell of a take. There's a reason you put your oxygen mask on first.

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Mar 24, 2019

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Serephina posted:

That's an awful lot of angry agreement you have there. I'm glad we're on the same page!

O...k? Are you trying to own me somewhere here, or?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
AIAA for not being happy about my best friend's new job?

quote:

My [30m] best friend [32m] grew up in an abusive household and had a pretty rough childhood. His younger siblings are both in prison or abusive relationships themselves, but he managed to get out of it after high school and join the military. He flourished there and got into intelligence work, which led to him getting a job in the private sector with a private defense contractor. Ever since he got there, he has always made a lot more than I have, which has never bothered me before because he really worked his rear end off for it, and I have been legit happy for him.

Recently, a friend of his that he used to work for got ahold of him from California and asked if he was looking for a job. My friend said maybe, and got some details. The job was working for a cyber security firm, something my friend knows literally nothing about; he doesn't even know how to set up his own wifi network. His buddy coached him on some terminology, he looked up some quick guides, had a couple phone interviews, and got the job. They paid to move him out to Cali, and he is getting over double what he was making before at the defense contractor job.

I am not happy for him, in fact I am pretty pissed off. I went to school and got a degree in my field, which I still work in, doing physical work that is really damaging to my body, and he now makes over 6 times what I do, with full benefits, without a degree of any kind. He fell into this job by bullshitting his way in, knowing nothing about the field or the work.I know that I'm jealous and should support my friend, but I am finding it really hard to be happy for him. I have family that I support, and we do fine if a little tight sometimes; he has a girlfriend, and does nothing but play online games and smoke weed, upgrading his PC to top of the line every year, buying whatever he wants non stop. He bought a brand new Dodge Challenger when he got to Cali, but his credit score is in the low 500s. He has always been terrible with his money, but hasn't needed to care because of his huge salary, and now it is even more crazy.

Am I an rear end in a top hat for being jealous? To be clear, I'm not angry that he makes more than me, I'm pissed that he does because of cheating his way into a field he knows nothing about while I struggle in a field I worked very hard to get into.

tl;dr
My best friend bullshitted his way into a field he knows nothing about, resulting in him making over 6 times my, a degree holding professional's, salary, and I'm not happy for him.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Yeah that was my first thought too. He could be talking about a trade school though; I'm a chef and went to school for it, and I would probly call that a trade school.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

DJ Fuckboy Supreme posted:

No poo poo. Networking is a skill a lot of people fail to develop, and it sounds like this guy is upset he got left in the dust.

You'd kind of need to be at least in the same sphere of professions I would think though. Homeboy was intel stuff with a security contractor, that probly segues way better into cyber security than nurse or field scientist or whatever. You can at least spin it to sort of fit. It would be like an office manager asking for a job at a high end restaurant; they'd get laughed at, assuming they even looked past the cover letter of the resume.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

QuarkJets posted:

Nurses are constantly on their feet doing physical things that I imagine is probably damaging, but is that normally described as a form of "physical" labor? I thought that term applied more to construction work, moving services, etc. where physical stuff is literally all you do

I think it depends on WHERE you're a nurse. Sure, being a hospice nurse or working in a private practice is probly relatively cushy compared to being a trauma nurse in a large city.

jobson groeth posted:

Nepotism isn't networking.

Yeah, having a friend go "psst hey man, I can get you in here, here's the interview questions we ask and how to answer them" or whatever isn't what I would call a skill.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Motronic posted:

I've got a friend who has some crazy metallurgy related degree that is essentially a very high end welder for things like pressure vessels and pipes. But OP isn't likely to be doing that, because it pays very well.

What is "very well"? From my understanding, Silicon Valley type tech and security jobs pay ludicrous amounts of money.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

Also nepotism is a VP at a large corporation giving his brother's niece a high-paying administrative assistant job that she probably isn't qualified for. Not someone getting a good job they're qualified for because they have friends at a company. Y'all are dumb.

The poster said his friend wasn't qualified in the least though?

Honestly, I would be pretty pissed about this too, it's like his friend is some 19 year old trust fund baby. Awaiting the update that torpedoes all of this lol

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Mar 24, 2019

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

QuarkJets posted:

don't worry plenty of defense firm and military people are lazy as poo poo, but if you just want to make up poo poo we can do that too; like I couldn't believe it when the OP threw a full jar of vagina acid in the defense firm guy's face, that was uncalled for

I have a buddy who does what I think is called "intel dissemination" here in Florida, and he sits and just approves or denies emails to be sent all day. He talks all the time about how it's the perfect job for him because he doesn't have to think about it or care, just do the rote clicks. :shrug:

And military intell guys are very well known for not just sitting in a skiff room dicking around on the internet until they have a briefing, yes.

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Mar 24, 2019

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

spacetoaster posted:

Maybe I'm dumb, but don't master level professions require college? Like plumbers/electricians/etc?

I don't think so, there are trade schools that give you certifications.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

spacetoaster posted:

If you're UA (a big union in my area) it's a 5 year program that's 50% class time and 50% hands on.

Are trade schools like that not college? And that's still not going to make you a master plumber/electrician/etc.

imu that trade schools teach you "how to be a plumber" instead of "math, science, english, writing, history, oh and also here is some classes about your field"

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

spacetoaster posted:

It's still college.

It isn't, but you do you, red text.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Motronic posted:

SV security gig is gonna be $200k in the bay area. Welder buddy is making nearly 75% of that in semi rural PA. Guess which one has more local buying power and a better quality of life?

That's pretty great, I guess I assumed that blue collar work like that has been gutted in the US. poo poo man, maybe I need a career change, because busting my rear end running a restaurant is BARELY paying the bills.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

DemoneeHo posted:

AITA for inviting a girl back to my hotel after she mentioned being down for casual, no strings attached sex? Both Late 20s

My boner forced me to convince a girl I was going to assault her, aita?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

bell jar posted:

lmao excellent dot point presentation, you have never interacted with a child, thanks for letting us know

Yes, children must be allowed to antagonize you, berate you, and harass you, or you are a monster. This is a well known fact.

Motherfucker posted:

You're posting at me so thats not entirely true is it?

poo poo

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

bell jar posted:

*ball goes into yard*
i am being antagonized, berated, harassed, someone call cps a child is swearing at me
:goonsay:

Good job, you distilled the OP down into the exact form that supports your argument! You get a star! See the joke here is that you're a child so i am treating you like one

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

bell jar posted:

nice meltdown

says the guy that keeps melting down. You consistently post stupid bullshit, just shut the gently caress up

Edit: I'm sorry, that was really harsh. You said to empathize with children, so I'm making an effort here.

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Mar 25, 2019

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Gf (28F) is draining me (27M) out. I can't take it anymore

quote:

I've been in a long-term relationship with my gf (28M). Lately, I've started to realize being with my gf makes me stressed and anxious. She is too controlling, bossy and I feel very immature. For instance, when I'm going for a walk with her, I'm supposed to walk to the right side, walk in a single pace, carry her bags and my bags, use both the straps of my bag (She wants me carrying my bag in a certain way). She acts I'm embarrassing her in public. She gets pissed easily. In addition, she constantly gives me slaps or pinches me hard. I told her several times it ruins my mood and I feel emotionally drained. The slaps aren't too hard most of the time but the constant blows to my face in public, pulling hair is making me exhausted. Sometimes I've had blue and red marks on my arm. I usually never cry but one time I had to go to the washroom during a date to cry. I'm always the one to visit her, travel 1 hour to see her and she never comes here. She goes like "your place is too far, I don't like long commutes in bus". I also realized I feel relieved whenever the date ends and I have to go back home.

Whenever I go to her apartment, she is constantly around me to make comments on how I'm supposed to wash dishes in a certain way even though I know how to do it. She makes comments pretty much about everything even though her apartment is a mess and she never cleans. I feel she has no respect for me or my belongings, she spilled something on the bathroom floor and she immediately grabbed my face towel to wipe the floor. I have tried to talk with her but she brushes it off saying "That's how I show my love, I don't hit hard". She is even worse when she's on her periods. I have tried telling her she is draining me and making me exhausted but she doesn't seem to make any changes. The only time she seemed apologetic is when she was playing with a knife and accidentally made a cut on my neck (more like a paper cut but there was blood). Her parents like me a lot and they know she is very immature, her mom doesn't know how she treats me yet she told her not to hurt me or be rude to me. I like her parents and I do love her but I feel like I can't continue living like this.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
making awful, boring, banal posts that make everyone stupider for reading them is a hobby

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Another Bill posted:

Father of the year right here :stare:

u/disappointedmom1003

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

therobit posted:

That could be a really dangerous drinking game.

another good one would be "drink every time i get confused about which fuckin cat is posting"

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Wrt the epilepsy dad, it would be one thing if she got accidentally pregnant and refused to terminate, and they split and he isn't part of the kid's life, and she just shows up with this. There would at least then be some shred of an argument in the dude's favor.

But no, he got her pregnant on purpose, made her keep it, divorced her, and visits twice a month. gently caress that guy.

But uh, let's not advocate for forced sterilization maybe, because jesus christ.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Fatkraken posted:

Fortnight is a valuable word because it allows you to make the distinction between something that happens every two weeks and something that happens every two months by saying "fortnightly" and "bi-monthly" respectively rather than just using bi-monthly for both and confusing everyone :colbert:

Bi-weekly

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Post to Nextdoor "WHO CAME ON MY loving CAT?!!?"

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Right, I still only have the one mind to generalize from, but I can't imagine how bored/sad I'd be given that constraint.

I guess it depends on your town, really.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Midnight Voyager posted:

I would literally run because that is literally a PUA thing, doing magic tricks to impress the feeble female brain.

Hi, I'm Vincent and I'll be your server *winks at man*

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
There is a difference between "getting drunk" and "drinking so much for such an extended period that it begins to alter your brain and personality".

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Smirking_Serpent posted:

WIBTA for only paying for university of my children if I find their programs have merit?

Or, "How to alienate your youngest child and make them despise their siblings"

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Waiting for the reveal that the youngest daughter is gay or something and it totally has nothing to do with it guys

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

goethe.cx posted:

settle down ayn rand.

gently caress off lol

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

a get a feeling the privacy is not why nobody likes the OP

Don't recall anywhere in the post saying this. The opposite, in fact.

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Sep 19, 2019

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

LadyPictureShow posted:

It devolved into a slap fight of its probably for 'single parents' and such. But then a hero apparently arrived to clear things up and out OP as a liar:

Holy poo poo :bisonyes:

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
"Bbbbbbbut I'm a STUDENT!"

*single income higher than anyone using the program*

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Can we talk about how the make up company had zero experience or product to service black women? That seems bad.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Araenna posted:

Is it common for people not in the wedding party to get professional hair and makeup for a wedding? Is it because they're family and would be in the photos?

"Formal" Is a step below black tie, and generally denotes professional hair and makeup and smart dressing. I don't think this woman or her family did anything wrong, other than thinking "formal" actually meant formal on a wedding invitation.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
^^^^^^^
That's the thing, most people don't know what the gently caress any of the dress code terms mean. They likely think "formal" is a nice dress from the department store and you spend 45 minutes on your make up, which is perfectly fine and totally acceptable for a wedding. But formal is actually black tie optional, tuxedos, professional hair etc. It isn't regional, it's just based on class and upbringing; the OP likely has come from a more priviledged background and so has a little bit more knowledge on what dress codes actually mean. Her big mistake was assuming everyone else does too.

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for giving my daughter more money than my son after a lottery win because of different circumstances?

A bit of money enters the picture and Lucas goes nuts and starts trying to tear the family apart lol.

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Sep 19, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Three Olives posted:

It's never too late to go back to school, I had a former colleague that started and finished her degree after she turned 50. Make it clear that he will spend the same money if he decides to obtain a degree on the degree but not on a Mercedes.

This is the right move. They each get 25k of "walkin around money", but they only match the rest if it's used for the right stuff.