Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Pvt.Scott posted:

The only common factor in all of your failed relationships is you. :yayclod:

[extremely incel voice]

no, the common factor is feeemallesss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018
i hope jo crystal guy survived hurricane harvey :ohdear:

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018
Is it illegal to not drive your kid to school in Wisconsin?
(self.legaladvice)

quote:

So my mom and I got into a fight today, I am 15 if this information helps at all. For whatever reason she thinks that if I am on my phone any longer than 30 minutes I am being in healthy and she thinks she needs to take it.

The problem is her punishment, she decides to make me walk to school. It is 2 miles away I live in Wisconsin where the weather is typically 20 degrees. There is a bus I can take but I was never informed of where it would pick me up and I have no idea where to find it after school.

My questions are:

Is it illegal to not drive your kid to school under these conditions?

If so what are the punishments?

TL;DR Mom flipped out when I wouldn't give my phone back after 30 minutes of use and now she won't drive me to school.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018
My guy friend [23M] is offering to pay me [21F] money if I set him up with my single friends. How should I handle this?Dating (self.relationships)

quote:

He and I met recently and don’t know each other well. He said that he’s single and he wants to date someone. he never had a gf before.

He then offered me money if I agreed to set him up with my single friends. Should I do it? How do I tell him that I am creeped out by his demand?

He believes that money will get me to do it. How do I change his mind? He believes that money will get anyone to agree.

TL;DR: (New) guy friend offering to pay me money if I sey him up with my single friends. What should I do?

Caganer fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Feb 15, 2018

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Anne Whateley posted:

He says in the post he thinks if he fires the idiot, he'll show up and make a scene anyway

you can hire a police officer to do security for your private event for a small fee. (be sure to tip extra if he tazes your crazy wedding crasher)

Yawgmoth posted:

Because "we've been friends for N years!" is a sticking point for a lot of people in the same way "we've been dating for X years!" is. One of my friends got straight up kidnapped by his so-called "oldest friend" and he didn't boot him because thy had known each other for some pile of years. A lot of people will put up with a disturbing amount of abuse and destruction over the misguided ideal of having "life-long pals".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunk_costs#Loss_aversion_and_the_sunk_cost_fallacy

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018
I [21F] discovered the kind of person my deceased sister [23F] really wasNon-Romantic (self.relationships)

quote:

My sister and I were best friends. She was my entire world. I can’t remember a time when I didn’t first go to her with my problems, and when she wasn’t happy and ready to listen. There were some days when I couldn’t go on without talking to her. Not to be too cheesy, but she was my rock. I loved my sister with my whole heart. She was always very private, and didn’t share a lot with me, but I was told to respect that want. She loved me, and I knew we were close. We had a bond. She was my role model. She’d volunteer on the weekends, donate to charity, and was just an awesome person. My sister passed away last week, and it was insanely hard to process. My parents asked me to go and sort her possessions, and even though it felt hard, I agreed because I knew she wouldn’t want anybody else doing it.

I, of course, became somewhat of a snoop. I mean, I knew it was wrong, but I wanted to know something about my sister. Her laptop was out on the coffee table, and I just had to look at it! Her password was easy to guess, and I got lucky. She had her messages synced to her laptop, so I went through them. Again, bad thing to do. I shouldn’t have done it. But I did it, and I wish I never did. She was blackmailing her ex with his nudes, threatening to leak them if he didn’t give her the dog they’d bought together. She was harassing a woman at her work, trying to force her to quit. She also claimed to having an affair with her married boss and the head of their HR department, so if she went to either of them, she would just get them to fire her. It was horrible. In her conversations with her friends, she would bully and make fun of them, then turn around and act like their friend. She would make fun of me and our parents, post pictures of me and describe everything wrong with me. If I told her something, it got back to her friends and they would pile on and insult me. She made catfish profiles on dating apps. She made fake accounts on numerous websites to bully a girl from her high school (she still lived in our hometown- I found the list of accounts in her computer’s notes). It was horrific. I felt like I was looking at a stranger’s computer.

I don’t know how to process it. This isn’t half as hard as dealing with her death, but it just feels like such a sucker punch and I don’t know how to deal. I’m planning to seek therapy, but just some slightly urgent help might be useful. How do I feel... Okay about this? How do I reconcile the image of my angel sister with this? What should my next steps be?

TL;DR: I found out that my deceased sister is a bully, a blackmailer, and just an overall not very kind person.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018
I love it when redditors end their posts with "please advise" like they're Bill Lumbergh reaching out to IT on how to "do google"

When is a relationship exclusive? I feel like I hosed up (self.dating)

quote:

So I saw this girl twice. First time we just had casual coffee. Second date we got drunk and had sex, and after I was kind of unsure as to the status of our relationship, i.e. is this now a serious thing, or was it just a drunken hookup. That was a couple weeks ago and we've been too busy to see each other again. A few days ago on a random horny whim I went to a massage parlor and got a handjob. Afterwards I was like "poo poo, did I just gently caress this relationship up? Is this cheating?".

I mean, we only had two dates, and even though it got sexual I feel like it was still an undefined relationship. I don't know though. I'm going to see her again and feel like I might have hosed this relationship up. I should have not gone to this massage parlor, I don't know what I was thinking, it was a stupid risk and now it might have hosed things up.

Please advise

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Al Borland Corp. posted:

He should confess and then ask if they are exclusive

you're not exclusive until you discuss and agree that you are.

this is a difficult concept for many people, but there is no common law girlfriend clause. you aren't magically a monogamous couple because you hosed someone consistently for X times

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Haifisch posted:

How many comments are talking about love languages? I'm guessing at least five.

my love language is AMERICAN.

just say what you want, when you want

WILD CARD BITCHESSS

My [29M] wife [28F] changed her mind about going back to work after giving birthRelationships (self.relationships)

quote:

Basically what it says in the title. My wife and I have been married for three years, together for nine. She gave birth to our first son two months ago. After he was born I was able to take 2 weeks paid leave and she was planning on taking 12. The plan was for her to go back to work and our son's time would be split between her mom and daycare during the work day. From the time that we started talking about having kids, we were in agreement that we’d both work.

On Monday, my wife told me that she doesn’t want to go back to work. She wants to be a stay at home mom at least until our kids (our hope is to have two eventually) are in elementary school.

I was kind of blindsided though maybe I shouldn’t have been, since she has never LOVED her job or been particularly ambitious. Prior to baby, she liked her job okay, but admitted she wouldn’t do it if she didn’t need the money.

Financially we could afford her to stop working but it would be a definite hit, which makes me nervous when we just added the huge expense of a new baby. I also never pictured myself being the sole provider for a family, with kids and a stay at home mom taking care of everything in the house. My family growing up wasn’t like that at all.

I know that a lot of women have to go back to work before they’re ready and I don’t want to do that to my wife when we don’t need her to survive. But finances and the HUGE change in what I was expecting make me really really nervous to agree. I basically told my wife this when she brought it up and said I needed to think about it. She hasn’t said anything directly but has mentioned what a great day she and our son have had every day this week. Admittedly, this makes me feel kinda left out, even though I do a lot when I’m at home.

I've thought about agreeing to her taking off a year and revisiting the question as a middle ground (I’d be a lot more comfortable with that than agreeing to her not working until both kids are in school, which could be like, 8-10 years depending on when we have number two) but I’m worried that we’d just stay where we were at that point out of habit. Is there another solution I’m not thinking of? Do I just need to get over myself and agree?

edit: wrong quote

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Haifisch posted:

How can I (31M) be a better gift-giver? My wife (29F) is upset with me yet again

Embrace being a sitcom dad whose schtick is terrible gifts, OP.

i don't want to sound like an incel, but it would make me a little suspicious if someone told me their :airquote: love language :airquote: is me buying them stuff

also lol that her favorite gift doubles as a vibrator

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Anne Whateley posted:

That love language is more of an "I thought of you" thing, so like, "I saw a great dog, sad you missed him, here's a pic" or sending them a cool link related to their interests would also work. It's more of a "I am aware of your tastes and I think about you enough to find/plan/send/etc. a thing you'd like" and not just :10bux: :10bux: :10bux:

sorry, you're right. im biased because the first one i saw mentioning these (i wish i had the link) was where the girl's love language was gifts and therefor demanding an ipad for valentines after having gotten an iphone for christmas and the guy is like "i'm a student and had to put the phone on my credit card i can't fit both" :ohdear:

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

loquacius posted:

I remember being an extremely bitter middle schooler when I didn't get an A on a trifold poster project despite the fact that the teacher couldn't point out anything I'd done wrong

This is a history class, I filled this large loving piece of cardboard up with information on Olympic sprinter Jesse Owens, just like you asked, and you're gonna give me a B because some other kid made theirs look prettier? Don't make me flip my one-piece chair/desk thing :mad:

e: also geometry proofs I would get back with "-2" written on them in red pen and nothing else, no further annotations whatsoever

isn't jesse owens black? maybe teacher is a racist

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Galaxy Brain posted:

Buried lede here, he didn't even wrap the gift.

i missed that part.

yeahhhh. i agree he's prob purposefully doing a half assed job

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

ArbitraryC posted:

Doesn't sound like he's getting much in the way of words of affirmation to me.

affirmation is for closers

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

ArbitraryC posted:

it's just dumb because the love language divides gifts from stuff like "acts of service". An act of service is a god drat gift.

is "acts of service "reader's digest speak for oral sex?

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Barudak posted:

There is a revised edition of the book but nobody read that one!!!

holy poo poo i just realized your username is not "babadook"

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Barudak posted:

No no, I'm Baba Mexico, totally different.

are you at least also a gay icon?

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Galaxy Brain posted:

No it's stuff like taking care of a chore your SO normally does, solving a problem for them, etc. Barking at your SO that "this counts as a gift!" ArbitraryC style is not advised.

so basically they operationalized the normal components of a relationship like doing chores for one another? and said pick one and it's your love language?

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

datajugend posted:

my love language is pooping with the door open, im keeping a log on it but its getting full

oh boy searching for "door open" pulled up some gems, first one incoming:

My [24 M] friend [24 F] is leaving the toilet door open. We are not in a relationshipNon-Romantic

quote:

I'm friends with a girl i share numerous interests with. There is nothing that points to her beeing abnormal in any way and although she is slightly eccentric, she is good to spend time with. However, three weeks ago the following occured: i was at her place and she went to the bathroom. When i wandered around in the room i was in, i could see that the bathroom door was only half closed and that my friend was sitting on the toilet, audibly peeing. I thought that the door had come open accidentially and quickly went away but then she started talking to me. A few days later, i visited her again and while we were in the main room of her flat, she suddenly said "excuse me for a minute", went into the bathroom and placed herself on the toilet without closing the door. As she had sat down, she looked up towards me and i looked back. Her pants were at her feet, but her genital area was covered by her shirt. But looking at her from a 45°-angle, her butt was completely visible. She continies our conversation as if nothing was strange while peeing. When i asked her, why she left the door open, she said that she doesn't like enclosing herself and that i didn't have to look if it disturbed me. She then wiped and returned as if this was normal. This repeated itself a few times with the next weeks. She apparently stopped caring if her shirt covered her genital area and seemed to spread her legs while on the toilet. From this, i now not only know how her labia looks, i also learned that girls don't pee straight downwards as i thought but rather into a down-forward direction. She never said anything about me beeing able to see her. When i tried to tell her to stop, she defended her behaviour and said that guys were peeing openly into urinals so she didn't know why females shouls hide.

How can i get her to close the door when she goes to the bathroom? I didn't dare to ask other people if she leaves the toilet door open around them. She is generally a nice person, but i would prefer her not to do this, just as she did before she started leaving the door open.

tl;dr: My friend leaves the toilet door open when i am around which is awkward.

i picture his female friend as the rapist from peep show

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018
Me [26F] with my roommates 27M & 27F. They will not leave me alone in the bathroom.Non-Romantic

quote:

First of all I would like to emphasize first that I do not spend a long time in the bathroom (I take <8min showers) and we have 2.5 bathrooms.

Every time I go into the bathroom it seems all of a sudden somebody needs something from me or needs to ask me a question. I'm getting so fed up. In my family growing up we left each other alone in the bathroom. Nobody would try to talk to you or ask you a question. I hate when people yell to me through the door when I'm trying to poop! I'll be in the common area for 3 hours but as soon as I go to the bathroom, that's when everyone needs to know what I want for dinner.

I know there are people who pee with the door open and purposely go to the bathroom with their friends as a bonding experience or something, but I just don't enjoy it. Every time they do this I say I'll speak to you in a minute. I've said several times "don't talk to me while I'm in the bathroom!" What do I need to do? This seems like a crazy thing to have to have a house meeting about but am I at that point? What would you do? Thanks!

tl;dr: Roommates won't leave me alone in the bathroom. I feel like bringing it up would seem dramatic but it's really bugging me. How would you address it? Thanks!

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018
My [26 M] roommate has turned into the roommate from hell ever since I [26 M] got together with my girlfriend [24 F]. The worst thing is that he constantly keeps his door open while streaming graphic hentai videos and pictures. Are things with my friend irreparable? Should I listen to my girlfriend?

quote:

Background:

For the last two years, I started renting a small townhouse with my good and close friend, "John." I've known John for eight years. He's always been the awkward, weird guy. He is sometimes moody and intense, but he is generally a good guy and largely misunderstood. He is very into anime and has tons of posters, figurines, and regularly attends Anime Expo each year.

I started dating my girlfriend, "Jennifer," about six months ago. Before I got with Jennifer, my roommate was also interested in her. She would come over a few times, but she made it really clear that she wasn't going to be anything but friends with him. Even though this happened, John and Jennifer got along well and she still came over to hang out.

So we all got into a normal routine, Jenn would come over, hang out with John, and then I would pop down make dinner and have dinner with the both of them. Eventually, Jenn and I started to talk to each other, and little by little, I started to really like her. One night, when John was in the restroom, I asked her out and was amazed that the feelings I had were mutual.

Anyways, I wanted to make sure things were okay with John. He said that he was totally cool with us dating and said that he was already interested in someone else. So we started dating. She comes over sometimes during the week and only stays over on weekends to respect John's privacy. John told me that she could still come over whenever she wanted as long as we all could hang out like before.

She hasn't treated John any differently, and out of respect for him, I've tried not to be too physically affectionate with her when we're hanging out. Also, when she's over on the weekends, we are very quiet about being intimate. Most weekends that she is over, we don't do anything but sleep to make sure that John doesn't get weirded out.

My problem:

A month after we started dating, John became the roommate from hell. John started to withdraw and become increasingly brooding. Often, I would see him sulking and depressed. After a bit, he stopped hanging out with Jenn and me. When I asked John if he was okay, he said that he was going through some personal stuff and just not in the mood to hang out. So we started leaving him alone and just enjoying our time together.

It seems as if his personal issues were being expressed in different ways. Before, John was a relatively clean and tidy person. Now, he just leaves his dishes in the sink for weeks. I have reminded him tons of times about doing his dishes. Furthermore, he knows that I am a little particular about sharing personal things, especially my plates, utensils, and cookware, but when he runs out of his dishes, he uses my stuff anyway.

Then, he started leaving his dirty laundry in the hallways. At first it was just his jacket or something, and then slowly it was his dirty socks, and now he just leaves whatever he wants outside his door. When I confronted him about this, he rolled his eyes and just told me that he was too lazy. So I started grabbing garbage bags to bag his poo poo, and toss it into his room when the front of his room was too dirty.

Now, here is the worst thing. John, like I mentioned, is really into anime. And not only anime stories, but also into anime porn, which is called hentai. Usually, he is a really private person, and we don't talk about those subjects at all. If he did get off to this stuff, it was all on his own time.

The first time it happened was about a month ago. I walked by his room and I saw that he was watching a really raunchy anime porn. I was taken aback by what I saw, but I just cleared my throat loudly and walked past his room. Then, I heard the door slam shut. Maybe he forgot to close his door or thought that no one was home. I thought this was an isolated incident, but it happened a few more times. Each time that I saw him though, he wasn't doing anything else but browsing.

After one of these times, I sat down with John when he came downstairs to have dinner and I asked him to start closing his door if he was doing something that was private. John just silently watched me and scoffed as if I was saying something unreasonable. He apologized, but it didn't seem like it was sincere. I told Jenn about what was going on, but she dismissed it.

Anyways, the last straw for me was last week. Jenn came over and after saying hi to John, she came to my room to hang out. After mulling our evening plans for awhile, we decided to catch a movie. Jenn went to John's room to ask him if he wanted to tag along. All of a sudden I heard her scream, followed by John's door slamming shut.

After calming down a bit, Jenn told me that when she went over to John's room, John's door was half closed and she heard soft voices coming from his door. It wasn't uncommon for John to watch anime with his speakers on, so Jenn just pushed the door open. She said that she felt like bleaching her eyes out. Basically she saw something with tentacles doing nasty things to an anime girl. However, that wasn't what caused her to scream. She screamed when she saw that John was standing in front of his monitor, hands down his pants, and masturbating furiously. She says she didn't see his penis, but she at least saw him making the motions in his pants. I asked if she wanted to call the cops or something, but she didn't feel threatened just perved out by him.

Now, Jenn won't come over to our place anymore, wants me to cut ties with John, and move in with her. I agree that Jenn shouldn't come over anymore since it is obviously upsetting. There are two main problems though, Jenn really wants me to leave my friend. However, I've only been with Jenn for six months. It feels like that's not long enough for me to make any long term plans with someone I've known for so little time.

Also, I'm not sure what to do about my roommate. I'm not sure if why his behavior has changed so drastically since I started dating Jenn. I wish I could understand him because he was really a pretty good friend. It's a shame if I can't repair my friendship with him since it's been so long. What do you guys think I should do?

LMFAO at calling the police because you walked into your roommate's room without knocking and he was jerking it

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Caganer posted:

My [26 M] roommate has turned into the roommate from hell ever since I [26 M] got together with my girlfriend [24 F]. The worst thing is that he constantly keeps his door open while streaming graphic hentai videos and pictures. Are things with my friend irreparable? Should I listen to my girlfriend?

LMFAO at calling the police because you walked into your roommate's room without knocking and he was jerking it

the comments from OP are even better:

redditor posted:

Wait. You asked her if she wanted to call the cops because she found your roommate jerking off in his own room in the apartment he pays for?

roommate posted:

I feel like when I was writing my post I left out some parts. The problem is that this was all a she-said-he-said account to me when she told me what happened. I left out a specific part that seemed very unlike my roommate. Basically, after she screamed, she was so in shock that she kept watching for the next two seconds, when my roommate sprung up and in her own words as best as I can remember "he moved so quickly to the door that he looked like he was going to tackle me or hurt me--but then he closed the door." Furthermore, she made a few menacing gestures towards her. When I asked her to elaborate, she just said that she felt like he wanted to hurt her. The John that I know, despite his unpleasantness would never make those menacing gestures even if provoked.

redditor posted:

Yeah, really strange for a guy who gets walked in on while masturbating to jump at the door to close it.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

tactlessbastard posted:

Billy Connoly put it best in a stand-up routine: the only thing possible to say when someone walks in on you cranking it: thank god you're here!

Also, who are you, Caganer?

A Caganer (Catalan pronunciation: [kəɣəˈne], Western Catalan: [kaɣaˈne]) is a figurine depicted in the act of defecation appearing in nativity scenes in Catalonia and neighbouring areas with Catalan culture such as Andorra, Valencia, and Northern Catalonia (in southern France). It is most popular and widespread in these areas, but can also be found in other areas of Spain (Murcia), Portugal, and southern Italy (Naples).

The name "El Caganer” literally means "the crapper" or "the shitter". Traditionally, the figurine is depicted as a peasant, wearing the traditional Catalan red cap (the barretina) and with his trousers down, showing a bare backside, and defecating.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

LadyPictureShow posted:

Caganer, I always smile when you post because I just envision those nativity figurines copping a squat. I’ve been searching for years for one that meshes with my dad’s nativity set.

Isn’t the symbolism like, baby Jesus loves the highest of the highs and the lowest of the lows, even the dude taking a poo poo not five feet from him?

"The caganer was the most mischievous and out-of-place character of the pessebre's [otherwise] idyllic landscape; he was the "Other", with everything that entails, and as the "Other", was accepted, in a liberal vein, as long as he did not aim to occupy the foreground. The caganer represented the spoilsport that we all have inside of us, and that's why it is not surprising that it was the most beloved figure among the children and, above all, the adolescents, who were already beginning to feel rather like outsiders at the family celebration."

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Bogus Adventure posted:

Looks like LBJ is enjoying his reincarnation as a millennial woman in her twenties.

Ugh, I can understand having someone ask a question if you're in the shower, but being bothered while on the can is loving awful.

i'd just make a voice like i'm one of those porno guys who has to talk to his wife on the phone while the secretary blows him

"oh yeahhhhhh... i know where the remotteeee isss ah yes yes yes"

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

ArbitraryC posted:

The comments on this one are all kind of odd, the highly rated posts are all "maybe she thinks nothing of it and you're the weirdo for looking". OP has specified that it's a tiny apartment, he doesn't go into her room, and the bathroom she frequents is within eyeshot of the entire living room.

maybe it's a fetish

She wants to gently caress OP

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

One of the worst ways of flirting ever transcribed in text, but this was my guess.

it's like basic instict, but she's pissing. what man wouldn't want her?

Heavy neutrino posted:

The only acceptable response is to take the day off work, put the sheets into the laundry, give all furniture to charity, and cook the most unpleasantly smelly dish you can imagine for dinner. Surprise! There's nothing left to gently caress on, and the whole appartment smells of fish and parmesan!

also, it's not illegal to be nude in your own apartment

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

girl pants posted:

Didn't the thing with the necklace happen almost exactly in How I Met Your Mother

i'm shocked a pathetic excuse for a man with a raging case of oneitis recreated a scene from HIMYM

[BORAT VOICE]

NOT!

also /r/adultery has some gems if you search for "busted"

Busted by an Electronic Toll

quote:

I went to see my LD AP a couple of months ago in another city and spent the night. I usually spend the night with him and tell my spouse that I'm staying with a friend and he always believes me. But this time I traveled to a nearby city and apparently there was a loving ELECTRONIC TOLL that I NEVER SAW. Because the invoice for it came in the mail today. There is in in black and white - the location, date and time that I traveled. gently caress.

He is so upset with me. I told him that my friend and I went to the city for dinner and he said that I am clearly lying and won't talk to me until I tell him the truth. I don't know what to do.

My friend has no idea about my affair so I can't ask her to lie for me. And to make matters worse AP is coming to visit this week after not seeing each other for almost two months. He's only here for a few days. Such bad loving timing.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

Oh, I'm sure finding some hot artist bro was her final motivation to break up with his sorry rear end after a long string of countless letdowns and disappointments, but the fact that he didn't put up a single bit of resistance to his ex literally bringing her new boyfriend into their apartment to bang is hilarious! :roflolmao:

the netflix series "love" features a guy like this, his gf ends up telling him she cheated to get him to dump her

Barudak posted:

Turns out I dont know a word to describe the combination of shitheel and pathetic thay comes from having a long distance adultery partner

to be fair it sounds like driving into NJ/philly from nyc or vice versa it's not like she's road tripping.

Caganer fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Feb 16, 2018

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

SENTIENT HOUSEMEAT posted:

It's really sad and depressing the number of people who believe that a contract is all-powerful and can just strip their rights away with a single signature. That's not how the law works! (Except de facto it is in so many cases because the person being screwed doesn't know any better).

fun contract law fact: a component of any valid contract are consideration

consideration basically means "did both sides get something out of this".

for example, a prenup that agrees to grant the wife the house and cars plus a set lump sum etc if the husband can keep his 401k and not have to pay alimony could probably hold up. The wife gets enough money to go back to school and maintain her lifestyle, the husband is secure he can retire on time, everyone benefits

a prenup that says "lol u get nothing" won't fly since there is no consideration

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018
Personally I find the REAL gems are in /r/legaladvice. Nothing more American that looking to sue to solve a minor interpersonal dispute.

Are my parents legally allowed to restrict my diet? [Washington]
(self.legaladvice)

quote:

I recently turned sixteen, and I live in the US, in Florida.

I am very overweight/obese. I have been since I was four or five, and I blame my parents. I know it isn't good for your health, but I don't care about it anymore and I do not have any plans of changing anything, and I don't personally think it is possible for me. I do not care to have a conversation about it.

In the last year or so my parents have both become guilty and ashamed of my weight, at least in a level were they need to tell me about it. They offered me gym memberships and various other things I didn't have interest in. They got me a bike, didn't touch it. As a kid they fed me very poorly (all microwave, soda and takeout despite us being middle/upper-middle class, 80-90k per year with 1 child) and took very little interest in my life for career reasons, and it's clear that they are trying to fix that now and have a relationship with me, but I don't care. I don't think they are evil, but I do resent them and do not want much of a relationship going forward. Both are skinny and healthy themselves and they clearly don't want a fat son.

Currently they have decided to become strict, and the day after my 16th birthday they told me my food will be "restricted", "for my own good." They have quite literally bought a lock for the refrigerator/cupboard. They do not keep food in the kitchen. I freely admit that I before this happened ate a LOT of food per day, to the point where most would consider it gluttony. I do not deny that. Both are obsessed with calories, and my diet is restricted with calories and certian food items. I am only allowed 1 meat, 1 bread item per day, and everything else must fit within calories of 1500, which they measure. I do not know whether or not the amount they give me is accurate to this number. I am taller than most kids my age (6'1) and I do not know my weight but I am very very fat. I wear mostly 3XL shirts.

I feel physically terrible from this diet. I am constantly hungry, my stomach growls often and I sometimes feel dizzy. I cannot focus in class and I now spend all my time thinking about food. My parent's justification is that I can get a job if I want more, which they don't expect me to do. I had a small amount of saved money, which I've already all spent on my own food, and I've run out. My school does not offer free lunch or breakfast. This has been going for on almost a month and I have not lost any weight, but I feel terrible and hungry.

I understand my parents aren't required to buy me boatloads like before or cookies or anything, which is aggravating but completely understandable, but they have an obligation to give me enough so I'm not getting sick or hungry, correct? I don't know where to go with this.

Thanks. Have a good day.

Edit - I wasn't explaining this well.

In this chart, I'm saying that aren't I legally entitled to 3 instead of 2? I know I can't get 4, but aren't I supposed to get 3?

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Clark Nova posted:

He’s already bound and determined to stay fat purely out of spite.

and one day he will be our president

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018
maybe he just doesn't like weddings

i would stall a wedding like crazy but if she was like "lets just get married and go to paris" id be like oo la la

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

girl pants posted:

lmao

"Somehow" we ended up sexting

reminds me of this gem:

Why Do All These Homosexuals Keep Sucking My Cock?

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

blarzgh posted:

Look, I'm really sorry about this...

WELL ACTUALLY

They're generally called "premarital agreements" now, and their enforceability is dependent on what state the parties are in - as a rule, there is no requirement of consideration for a prenup to be enforceable, other than the mutual promise to be married.

I think about half of the states have adopted the standard code for premarital agreements where this is the case, and most - if not all - of the rest have substantially similar laws to the same effect.

ya know you're sorry but i'm a big fan of the "listen to actions not words" school of thought ;)

yes, many states have legislation specifically on premarital agreements and specify what is / isn't allowable and some may allow different degrees of "lopsidedness".

but all contracts require consideration, this is a basic concept that applies to all contracts (a subset of which include pre-marital agreements)

barring specific legislation allowing for one sided (no consideration) pre marital agreements, what i said in my original post stands.

i'm extremely confident no court would hold a contract written in a person's non native language, demanded to be signed immediately, without access to independent counsel to evaluate would be upheld

tldr: premarital agreements are contracts and you are not actually sorry

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Galaxy Brain posted:

What does "consideration" mean here?

consideration means you get something out of the deal.

for example, if leonard j crabs signs a contract he will provide you 1 hour of legal love in a court of your choice, both parties get a benefit. leonard gets money for pickled eggs and you get legal help.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

sincx posted:

Yeah. Prenups are generally enforceable if they were created per statute.

Laws vary by state, but requirements may include both parties needing to be represented by separate counsel, various waiting periods, and etc. Also, child support generally cannot be negotiated in a prenup. Alimony certainly can though, and barring exceptional circumstances, as long as all the statutory requirements are met courts will enforce prenups.

yes, and admittedly i'm muddling consideration in the "getting something" sense and consideration in the "ability to have a legal professional not owned by your redpilled manchild husband review the documents"

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

girl pants posted:

Well you see relationships are legal documents so if the wife agrees to do something she's legally obligated to not change her mind or get all mad about it I mean she already said yes GOSH

this isn't england relationships are at will - they can be terminated without cause or for no reason at all ("it's not you it's me")

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

LGD posted:

an inebriated + horny dude's motivated reasoning can be pretty spectacular, especially when passive-aggressive non-communication is involved

in contract law ambiguity is usually found in favor of the person who signed the contract since the one who drafted it could have been more specific if they wanted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

La Brea Carpet posted:

Is it okay that I (24M) am upset that my GF’s (22F) gift was thoughtless?

The best gift is you not being a lil bitch about valentine's day.

oh thats bad. this means she thinks oral is some special thing she'll dole out once or twice a year :ohdear: