Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Loopoo posted:

Genuinely not surprised that it has such an atrocious amount of connectivity issues, same exact crap happened with the Rainbow Six: Siege beta. Was nigh impossible to play with friends as it kept showing us as offline, or we'd join the group and instantly get disconnected, or - the absolute worst - we'd join a game only to be stuck in loading screen limbo as one of us ended up getting dropped without knowing. So we'd all have to hard restart the game.

Other than that, it's really drat good fun. Definitely not worth the asking price, as I see it getting stale very quickly. But I'd definitely pick it up if it was cheaper. It's nice that there are counters to everything, even grab-spamming Vikings (I'm one of those cunts). But the minute you're ganged up on, it's GG. I've not once won a 2v1, the most I can do is come super close but it's always easy to get zerged and smashed to pieces. Dominion is my least favourite mode, as it's so hectic. It always devolves into one guy getting gangbanged by 4 enemies. Enemies have a really annoying tendency of just running away when you get them to low HP and there's gently caress-all you can do about it because we all run at the same speed.

2v2 is my favourite gamemode. Dominating an enemy and then standing by as you watch your ally battle it out to the death. I always salute my enemy if they beat my ally and then we fight it out. It's so cool when opponents honour this as well. But sometimes, a man's just gotta tag team an enemy to secure that win. It's ridiculously funny as well in 2v2 when you manage to grab and throw an enemy off the map within 2 seconds.

Were your connectivity problems on PC or PS4? Just got done playing for about 3 hours with friends on PS4, didn't have any problems at all really.

Really pleasantly surprised at how much of a fighting game this is. I thought it was going to be a simpler version of mount and blade combat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
I love that you can play all characters without unlocking them so you can actually try out every single character to scope out if you like them without spending your steel (or whatever). I've already seen a bunch of people posting they hate the unlocks and micro transactions but actually they are done amazingly well. Gear has no effect unless you make a custom lobby for 1v1 or 2v2, only in 4v4 does gear stats come into play. I find 2v2 is the most fun anyway, so that's fine with me.

1. 1v1 modes and 2v2 modes DEFAULT TO GEAR STATS HAVING NO EFFECT .
2. Unlocking characters only lets you unlock gear/customization for that character. YOU CAN CHOOSE TO PLAY ANY 'LOCKED' CHARACTER IN THE PREBATTLE SCREEN.

buckets of buckets posted:

so how does this play? Is it more like chivalry: medieval warfare or more like dark souls or one of those far eastern games with like a billion chinese soldiers? dynasty wars??

1/3 chivalry/mount&blade (directional attacks, blocking, feinting)
1/3 dark souls (third person lock on)
1/3 street fighter (combo moves, throws, guardbreak, interrupts)

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Jan 27, 2017

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
FYI there is an option in controls to turn L2 into a toggle. No longer do you have to hold down L2 to be in guard mode for 80% of a match giving you serious crab hand.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
This game needs the mode from Tiger Knight where you have like 5 vs 5 people but only 1v1 fights at a time and you watch other people get dunked on and talk poo poo while its going on.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

major issue to me is just p2p. they pretty much acknowledge it's a fighting game, why would they think p2p is acceptable?

Not to argue for or against p2p vs dedicated but most fighting games on consoles do use p2p. I don't know of an example of a current console fighting game that does use dedicated servers to host the matches.

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jan 30, 2017

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

mellowjournalism posted:

:lol: it's P2P? I didn't know much about this game, just clicked the email and said why not. That explains some of the game ending connection errors that would crop up here and there. Like when I'd be losing against some higher level dude, and then: *pulls an infinite Conqueror combo* :mmmhmm:

Conqueror has an infinite combo though, one of the few.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Can't connect to ubisoft uplay on the PC, but it works fine on PS4 *fart*

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

ohsosad posted:

Guard break is absolutely ruining the game for me, i can't for the life of me get any good at counter blocking them so the majority of the time i'm just being stun locked to death in duels.

I really feel like guard break needs a slightly larger window for countering or at least a slightly more obvious animation that it's going to happen.

Just attack? If you are in any sort of wind up for a light or heavy attack their guard break does nothing. It's truly only a gaurd break, not a throw or grapple.

I also gave up on trying to time counter guard breaks.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Internet Kraken posted:

You can still play as all the character you haven't "recruited". You just don't get exp and items for them which doesn't matter if all you care about is 1v1 serious mode.

EDIT: What the gently caress am I supposed to do as a zerker in the 1v1 maps that are just narrow corridors with walls or cliffs? No room to maneuver around people so I just get thrown off a cliff.

2v2 also does not use gear.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Panzeh posted:

I think if people know what they're doing, the warden(and to a lesser extent kensei)'s cancel game is absolutely ridiculous and probably could use a nerf.

You should not be able to cancel any unblockables, period.

Also I don't know why as a warlord my heavies were getting stuffed by guard breaks.

Canceling those unblockables still sucks down a huge amount of stamina, its not a totally free feint on their end.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Internet Kraken posted:

Yeah its severely lacking in rabid screaming, the core of Chivalry gameplay.

I played a 4v4 deathmatch where like 4 players on either team were the Raider so all match you just hear him doing the shout for his unblockable over and over across the whole map it was pretty great. Dominion has a bunch of ambient explosions but 4v4 deathmatch is pretty quiet.

Speaking of the voices: Do knights speak in latin? Vikings speak russian?

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Feb 13, 2017

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Buschmaki posted:

This is why revenge mode is a bad idea in the duel gametype

How is it even possible to generate enough meter in a 1v1 to get revenge?

I've purposely tried to do it and never even got close even in testing custom match 1v1 with a friend.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Scags posted:

Has anyone encountered the error with a steam controller where you get kicked due to inactivity? I have tried all the fixes easily found on google but I'm still getting the issue.

Happens with a PS4 controller on PC as well. Buddy of mine got booted from our 2v2 after not pressing anything for 30 seconds.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Anyone playing a lot of Raider? I could use some tips on how to mixup his limited toolset. I understand he is not TOP TIER but whatever I enjoy dumping shitsacks off the cliffs.

I'm a point where in 1v1s I can pretty reliably tech counter GB and parries, but I never know how to to follow up a successful parry so I just stopped parrying.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Keegers posted:

so this happened when trying to load in

Map editor mode looking good

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Mortal Kombat 9 had a really good system where it would throw 8 people into a lobby and 2 would fight while the rest would look on in a theatre complete with curtain and they'd watch and react to the game. The winner would stay on and it'd just cycle through people. Imagine the same thing but in a roman ampitheatre :shobon:

With all the unlockables and money/points/steel/scavenge they could add betting mode to that also.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

betting with stuff you purchased with real world money runs aground a lot of gambling laws iirc

I doubt that, GTA 5 lets you buy in game cash and bet with that. It's not like you can convert it back out of in game money to actual dollars.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

The Iron Rose posted:

good news. His strong attacks can't be parried if you break lock-on before the swing hits

Is this accurate for everyone? Or just for Shugoki?

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Red Mundus posted:

All I can find is 4v4 deathmatches and dominion on PC and it's awful. I bought this last night and played 2v2 duels for awhile and it was incredibly fun but now I can't find anyone. Is this common? I loathe 4v4 from what I played of it.

What region are you in?

I'm on PC in USA and 2v2 is my favorite mode. It places me in games in less than 30 seconds of search time.

Open your ports/set dmz in your router. Also if matchmaking is taking more then 2 minutes cancel matchmaking and try it again. I've noticed it occasionally gets stuck(1/20 times or so).

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Ice Fist posted:

Raider exists so that you can punish an out of stamina enemy for 90% of their health.

Have I missed a key Raider confirm?

If someone is on the ground for either a out of stamina fall or a carry that dumps them the only confirmed hit I can get is a single zone attack. Technically not even that is a guarantee because they technically can parry it (but is very difficult to time). All other heavies can be blocked as they stand up.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

7c Nickel posted:

This tracks with my experience as a Raider where it's not even worth it to try and block a Peacekeeper when they go into light attack spam mode. Just roll away and try to reengage on better terms.

Poor Raider.

Thanks for posting this though, I thought I was just poo poo at blocking quick attacks. But it turns out I'm just a retard who mains Raider and god drat you have to work for every single hit vs a good opponent.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Orochi has one the fastest GB animations when he throws it out compared to other classes, but does anyone have a longer range on their GB?

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Concurred posted:

:yeah:

I actually took a dip into realism difficulty in the story mode due to servers being down. Might actually be beneficial for online play because you're looking at movements and stances, and not indicators. Hahah who am I kidding

That is actually helpful because there are some attacks where you can bug out the indicators and the attack actually comes from the other direction.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

signalnoise posted:

Having a rep 4 raider is sucking the fun out of the game for me at the moment because I'm not blocking poo poo that I'm putting the input for, and any other class I try just doesn't feel right. I'd go with warden but ugh I already have a fuckin vanguard.

Are you missing blocks vs PK and other assassins? I play a lot of Raider too and I've learned to just eat some lights from the fast classes and focus on watching for the heavy or the gb.

If I just block 50% of light spam from a PK I'm ok with trading some of my life for their stamina so I can get them exhausted and put them into the heavy -> unblockable feint game.

Typing that out makes me realize that Raider is basically a ghetto Shugoki and I could probably do much better with the fat man... Unfortunately Raider has a 2x skull helmet which owns, so I'm sticking with it.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I really don't understand why a vs AI order can't be completed against players too, if you want to min/max your exp/steel gain you got to do a bunch of boring AI fights where more then likely you'll find your teammates afk in spawn.

It's a way for them to populate all the modes/playlists.

I don't mind the AI ones, gives you a more chill setting to practice a new character.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Anyone have some resources (youtube, streams, ect.) on pro players using Warden?

I'm having a tough time cracking Nobushi's who can keep their range from me and stay out of corners. I can block and parry their attacks all day long but parries on her long weapon leave me out of range for the garunteed GB follow up.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Mufasa Nigel posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tgRqVG3WFA

Not that I didn't feel bad rear end pulling this off, but cmon. 3 revenge triggers in 1 fight is stupid. And my defense tanking god knows how many raider unblockables.

Don't feel bad, they were idiots who spammed light attack. I only saw they try and GB you once. If they would have grabbed you and held you still 2x you would have been toast.

Also the raider was throwing out his unblock stand alone instead of putting it into a chain. If you just throw a light (you can wiff it) and then the unblock it does like 2x more damage.

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Mar 5, 2017

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
PS4 has a shitload of players. Not quite as high as the open beta but that's to be expected considering free open beta vs paid game.

Community events like play x many games total are stupid lazy anyway. It's not like any individual can really feel like they are contributing to achieving the total of 30546327732 required matches or whatever.

The events section should be used as a highlight temp leaderboard. Achieve the highest renown score in dominion, longest kill streak in elimination without a death, etc. Have it show the top 10 scores for each faction or hell for each class. That would be much cooler.

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Mar 6, 2017

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Zzulu posted:

that's just very wrong. All my stats have gone up hitting blue gear

[quote="Zzulu" post="470095190"]
that's just very wrong. All my stats have gone up hitting blue gear

this isnt rocket science

I think he was being sarcastic about that exact point friend

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Mar 7, 2017

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I'm surprised nobody is reacting to the 200ms delay on full block stances, which is honestly a huge nerf to near-uselessness IMO. Since you can be GB'd out of full block and can no longer do it on reaction, it doesn't really have much a point. Before it was good for mid-tier players to stop assassin pressure but now...

What's the conversion on ms to frames? As a scrublord, I don't understand which unit we are supposed to use to measure speed.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
When I play Warden I actively seek out 2v1 in Dominion so I can powerup my goku meter and get my revenge damage boost to kill fools in 3 hits. Sometimes I feel like 2v1s are actually easier, although early on I felt like 2v1 was a death sentence. Once you get the hang of switching targets and how the 3rd party block/parry works its own zone. Also every class seems to have moves that have VERY generous tracking when switching targets, which are key to learn for 2v1 and target switching. For Warden it's the side heavy, it gives you a pretty crazy reach as your feet coast along the floor to reach targets who feel safe out of range. I don't even have anything beyond low tier blues so I can only imagine the carnage high level gear gives (although I guess other people have more of it at that level too).

Realistically the best thing you can do as the 3rd participant in a 2v1 is to get directly behind the outnumbered guy and just spam gaurdbreak. Never light attack, and only maybe heavy attack overhand if the opponent initiates a heavy vs your teammate.

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Mar 8, 2017

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Kainser posted:

Yeah, I've been noticing this as well and apparently it turns out I'm a top 2% raider :confuoot:

I'm assuming that it's because most actually good players actively avoid that character.

How do you see your leaderboard like top% for x class?

E: is it some poo poo in uplay?

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Drone_Fragger posted:

They need to adjust conqueror honestly, I've been playing him a lot and it seems like hes good but has like, no actual offencive options. You basically have to wait till they attack you then abuse superior block or parry it to get damage off.

I imagine he is one of the few characters actually meant to play that way, seeing that they removed feints from him.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Duder X posted:

I just played against someone who ended up telling me that there are several uncounterable GB points against valk. After a blocked or dodged lunge attack, after a missed charge, and after a missed shield bash. He said it was because I had 'negative frames,' and that all classes had them as far as he knew. Google is of no use. Is there a list of points at which GB is uncounterable? That seems like crucial loving information to have. I haven't scoured this entire thread, so it may have already come up, but I've followed along a few pages at a time and have only ever seen a few mentions of guaranteed GB.

Sounds right, most classes can be punished with a un techable gb on some wiffs.

I believe everyone can get guaranteed GB on wiffed GB attempts too.

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Mar 9, 2017

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

The problem is, as I see it, heavy attacks have no purpose in mid- to high-level play except as guard break punishers or for any class-specific special properties (Valk's sweep, for instance). Otherwise you just get parried and destroyed. Would love to hear some alternative perspectives.

Dunno where to draw the line for high level play but heavies have plenty of use at mid tier. I'd define mid tier as people who can parry heavys no problem, so when they see their opponent throw out a heavy they throw a parry. Well if you prime their brain by doing that once, let them parry and just suffer the consequences the next go round do it but feint the heavy and see if they threw out the heavy as they attempted to parry. Now you can catch their parry because the ability to watch for feints on heavys and then feint your own parry counter is some next level matrix poo poo most people don't do.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

TwingeCrag posted:

This is an interesting video about some stuff that I didn't know was in the game. The beginning is a tad bit rambly but there are timestamps in the description to get to the meat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUJhcQMhZ_M

The Iron Rose posted:

Yo folks watch this because the guardbreak counter alone is insane

Wow!
Wow!
Wow!

The GB interrupt into attack is a powerful tool to learn (GB then change attack direction and attack).

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Red Mundus posted:

Just had a prestige 7 warden tell me that he was tired of fighting the most overpowered class in the game (shugoki, who I was playing as).

...this was after I had fought 4 vortex/zone spamming wardens in 1v1 in a row...

The warden telling me this spent most of the 3 matches trying and failing to vortex me because of armor.

I'm sure you know this but really it bears repeating - prestige rank does not relate directly to skill. I mean if anything they could have played a majority of their time in dominion where lazy vortexing will kill 90% of people. This is really a game where unless someone whoops your butt you will never learn to get better. If you play warden and you can just lazy 50/50 vortex your way to most victories, and if you do it every time and win you will feel like you are king poo poo. Depending on how long you got away with poo poo stacking vortex you may or may not decide you need to actually adapt your play if you lose (vs claiming the other class is bullshit).

By prestiege 7 I image he had a lot of time to poo poo stack his vortex pretty high and was unable to accept in his idiot mind that he might need to mix it up. In warden's case mixing it up actually means still using vortex but instead vary your charge up time, cancel shoulder bash into neutral (instead of into GB), and start doing dashes into shouldbash with cancels or sometimes with attacks.

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Mar 12, 2017

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Javes posted:

So regarding Warden shoulder charge cancel, is there a way to cancel it after the animation happens? I feel like I've watched streamers initiate a shoulder charge and cancel it right before it connects with the opponent in order to GB them. I'm only aware of being able to cancel it before the animation occurs.

It kind of looks like you are in the animation because as the shoulder charge launches the Warden shifts his weight forward, then you lunge forward with the GB. I'm not aware of any way to actually cancel it once you start scooting along the ground though.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
I find that vs good defensive players opening them up is almost always about mind games than it is applying a specific move/attack/strategy.

Unless I'm playing PK, then I just spin my stick and light attack and zone attack randomly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

I really do think they balanced the game around different game modes. It's pretty clear that characters like Raider and Lawbringer are supposed to be better in 4v4. However that's an incredibly loving stupid way to balance a game because a class being good at 1v1 doesn't make them worse at 4v4, but a character being designed for 4v4 obviously makes them shittier at duels.

Outside of PK (fast as gently caress), Warlord (if they play defensive max it sucks), Conq (if they play defensive max it sucks) I feel like all the other classes are on pretty good footing, well minus lawbringer really who is indeed better in 4v4 modes than 1v1.