Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Xad posted:

I have about 160 hours in ME3 on Origin, and I know I've spent <10 of that on the single player.

Same for me. Loved the demo for the multiplayer, loved multiplayer when it came out as well.

Singleplayer I ran through once, got all the endings for a laugh, and then never touched it again.

And yeah, Classless can be good but I've never seen it done well in a Bioware game.

Edit: vvv That and I guess that one Sonic game for the DS.

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Nov 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Trast posted:

Sending an massive exhibition to another galaxy isn't that unusual a story in sci-fi. They've even had a few Star Trek pilots written with that in mind. If you look at the Mass Effect universe as being pretty much explored and populated trying to find a new place to fill up makes sense. Story wise it lets them make up a lot of new stuff while bringing enough familiar elements to keep people comfortable.

I'm completely fine with the reason for all this, but I also would've been fine with them just starting from scratch with a new but similar universe. I don't care about many characters in gaming and I don't have to go back to the same old ones to enjoy a series.

But then I hear poo poo like Cerberus tagged along with the Andromeda and I start to worry real bad. They became the absolute worst part of the Mass Effect universe with so much lost potential and convoluted dumb crap. And now you want to bring them back for 4? Just let them be defeated in Mass Effect 3 and leave them there. You don't HAVE to have a familar human faction to fight.

I'm of the opinion that around Mass Effect 2 the potential of the game universe started dropping off and took a nosedive with 3. That isn't really anyone's fault, mistakes were made, writers changed, EA had deadlines and that's how game development goes. But Bioware have had a long time to get a new story going for this installment and while I know this is all due to the terrible marketing they have going on there are just so many warning signs that they learned nothing from their last outing.

Edit:vvvv Exactly. The ending to Mass Effect 3 was a mess, and kept on being a mess. The further we get from Earth the happier I will be.

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Nov 11, 2016

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Moola posted:

the heat mechanic was good and cool

It was lacking in balance and it totally rocked when you broke it competely with those explosive rounds and just ragdolled every enemy with your weirdly powerful sniper shots.

Then they replaced it with a mechanic that was boring and made no sense.

I mean yes most levels didn't force you to sit stuck to a single piece of cover forever now and just wait for heat to go away but still.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Zzulu posted:

mass effect

Yeah things are at about the same level they always are with this franchise.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

You're all thinking too small yet again. We've yet to have it confirmed if Thresher Maws are in this game or not.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

The cure for the genophage wasn't massively advertised before the arks went out. After all, it wasn't deployed until about the middle of the Reaper invasion and the only people who knew about it were the Salarians and the Krogan already on Tuchanka. The arks went out at least a few months before the proper Reaper invasion. There's no real reason why a clan or so of Krogan wouldn't tag along on a journey someplace the rest of the galaxy wouldn't have an opinion on them and might let them settle in peace. Of course, the Salarians might try and sabotage their ship in some way or hamper their efforts but not outright stop them from traveling abroad since all that means is hey, less Krogan around for the next 600 years and a greater chance they'll never regain their numbers.

I mean, I kind of wish they'd just not come along because their story has been played out and not in a good way.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

Of games I can think of made back in 2007/2008, you could do worse than Mass Effect. A lot of the issues people have with it stem from the PC port just being a horribly unoptimized piece of crap.

Yeah. Mass Effect 1 was one of those games I played on the 360 first , not just because that port came out first but because the PC version just did not work properly. It got a bit better, but it was obvious there weren't as many resources pushed towards that version as the console one. ME2 was a LOT better on PC though.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Drifter posted:

IN Synthesis the robot tells you that the Reaper "civilizations" within each reaper will be shared amongst the rest of the poeple in the Universe and I'm just thinking like, if there's anything left that's recognizably cognizant within those reapers then they must be living some I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream life in there, what with the literally evil poo poo the reapers have been doing for millions of years.

I don't think the rest of the Galaxy would appreciate a bunch of old civilizations/alien races screaming their digital voices raw from accumulated horror.

Just make this the canon choice please. With the Andromeda folks just looking back at Citadel space and going "Welp, we'll never visit there again"

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

It is kinda funny, the thread rating keeps going down as the game nears but there really isn't much reason for it. I mean I am not half as excited for this as I was ME2 but it doesn't look awful?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Speaking of eyes:

http://imgur.com/a/u7GmA

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Mar 6, 2017

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Honestly I have no idea. Despite tons of marketing and videos I never get a feeling for how the game actually plays, what the proper story is trying to convey or why I should care. It doesn't look bad but I'm not hooked either.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

How are the colony ships getting around when they arrive in the new galaxy without mass relays? Doesn't it take like ages to traverse galaxies without them? What's their plan?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Trast posted:

Batarians and vorcha do get a bit of image rehab towards the end of ME3 and surprisingly through multiplayer. There is the encounter Shepard has with some batarian refugees where it turns you can come to a peaceful end to some bad blood and get batarian survivors on board with the alliance. Batarians in particular get painted as being a sort of North Korea in space. It's ruled by a lot of militant totalitarians who keep everyone down unless they have a value to the regime like the slavers or terror squads. When you start encountering "average Joe" batarian in game they are usually happy to get along with people.

With multiplayer batarian and vorcha mercs get added into the game which leads to them popping up in the background chatter of Citadel. There is a funny bit where a human infiltrator and a vorcha sentinel are complaining about reckless teammates. Of course it helped that the batarian and vorcha multiplayer characters were pretty bad rear end. You had insane regen on the vorcha and a flame thrower or a build with grenades. The batarians were bags of hitpoints that shot spikes and their heavy melee was very satisfying to use. You could even use an aspect of the game engine to do some rather fun power sliding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eTaCRQNH6g

Batarians: so awful you have to browbeat them into helping the Citadel races fighting Reapers when their homeworld is eaten and they are squatting in the Citadel itself. Also straight up telling you the asteroid you are stopping from wiping out a colony was"just" being attacked for slaves. Also trying to use a bioweapon on the Citadel via diplomatic channels because that will certainly solve their problems.

I guess NK really does fit but on the other hand most batarians you meet outside of their nation are assholes too.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Ainsley McTree posted:

mmm, I'm on their side here. Their entire race just got wiped out overnight and the council let the man (kind of ) responsible for killing 300,000 batarians by smashing a mass relay out of prison to go help other races fight the reapers. At that point I might be like "you know what, gently caress you guys" too

Alleged to have killed 300k batarians. There was no real evidence unless you personally sent out a message to try to warn them and even then it was just "This is Shepard" or somesuch. Them getting a prank call from a Spectre is suspicious but it is also circumstantial.

Also 300k wasn't nearly enough.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Zzulu posted:

Ryders dick isnt finished growing yet

please be patient

That is the real purpose of the upgrade projects. Gathering tons and tons of material to get his member to be the appropriate size to fit in within this strange new Galaxy.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Kurieg posted:

Apparently the pillars of eternity sequel starts with a long dead god showing up, loving up all your poo poo, and flipping you the bird while flying off to a distant island archipelago. So the logical response is to steal a pirate ship and fly the gently caress after it.

Also by loving up all your poo poo Kurieg means "Ate parts of your soul" so, yes.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

But really why are Krogan females going outside the known galaxy? I'm not even talking about the possible Krogan restoration projects in ME3, I mean they're exalted by Krogan males, almost always have positions of great power and get pretty much anything they want. I mean they might want to escape their roles and all that but then why take other Krogan along on the trip?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

doingitwrong posted:

I'm neither a AAA game developer, nor their marketing team, but if I were, I would flag which bits of the 70 hour game had the most love in terms of animation quality and then use those in my trailers.

E:

Someone needs to have *the talk* with evilmiera about how you get subsequent generations for your colony.

I meant in terms of avoiding Krogan society and their roles in it. Besides which, I think it might be harder to get new generations of children in an unknown sector of space with even less medical equipment to counter the Genophage than where they came from.

Edit: ^^^^ That I can buy at least.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

PureRok posted:

I think colonialism is great and I hope we get to kill 'em all.

Will that include all the Krogan? Can I once more murder every single Krogan I meet and then make sure the Genophage wipes them out?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

boy i sure wish i could sit down and really get to know token, ladygarrus, hitler youth, mashed potato, notwrex and game of thrones, really get to know their personalities, and how they think, and m̱̮̳̲ov҉͓e̹̭͎͖̝͙͇

You don't have to. All you have to do is see their eyes.

Their dead, evil eyes.

They're the undead, Barons, you know what to do.

Edit: vvvv

Andromeda is the anti-life galaxy. All who enter become zombies.

Mass Effect Zombies. We've reached the series apex.

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Mar 12, 2017

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I may joke, but beyond the bugs there is nothing that really bothers me about the game itself so far. Beyond it looking a bit too close in execution to dragon age inquisition. But that may be because I also haven't seen anything that pops out as super interesting either, which was the case with DA. We will see where it ends up.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Kainser posted:

Paradox Interactive doesn't actually own Obsidian.

efb

Yeah I got confused there for a moment wondering what they were talking about.

Not that I would mind even one bit if that very thing happened.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Just saw the first hour or so of the game and well, it certainly isn't Mass Effect as of yet. Though it might have a slow burn like ME2 and 3 did.

The only thing that really properly bothered me about it, because I tend not to care about animations, was the shooting. It felt like weaponry had very little impact despite being integral to winning fights, like you were poking away at their health rather than actually hurting enemies.

Oh, and the extremely boring humans. But I knew humans were going to be boring one way or the other.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Zoran posted:

Space is really big, dude. Really big.

This is the entire reason people in the Milky Way Galaxy don't find Reapers in the first place. Not just that they're hibernating or whatever, but because even building-sized objects are really, REALLY difficult to spot in space in any meaningful way. The only reason the Citadel races keep finding the Citadel (beyond most relays pointing towards it) is that it is lit up and constantly broadcasting docking signals, as I recall. So yeah, no reason the Andromeda ships would get spotted unless they were doing some spectacularly crazy stuff with their weaponry.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

AngryBooch posted:

ME2 and 3.... slow burn? Mass Effect 1 sure. That's a plodding game that turns into a wild loving ride once you hit about 2/3rds and go to Virmire. Virmire to the ending of Mass Effect 1 is loving amazing though. Mass Effect 2 is masterfully paced. Mass Effect 3 couldn't really decide on a pace and is the worse for it.

I may be describing what I meant in a bad way: ME1 had you feeling like you were involved in the plot rather early on and could go do whatever (on the Citadel at least) , whereas ME2 you were still trying to figure out what was even going on for a few missions and got your first chance to actually decide on what to do next and where to go a long ways into that. ME3 was... well, it had a bunch of stuff like the initial Earth and Mars acts, the strange dreams with the kid holding you back and so on before you could actually start doing stuff on your own. I'm saying less story pace and more "let me play the game like I want and not be sent through linear levels" pace.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

A BIG loving BLUNT posted:

Peebee's gun is still shoots backwards

We are truly blessed.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Cowcaster posted:

this is the gift that keeps on giving. in addition to the already pointed out:
  • disinterested gaze of the woman
  • krogan missing the headbutt
  • no chair
  • bottle on the table breaking (not breaking)

i just noticed that the lady isn't holding the bottle by the neck but by the body. she's slamming a glass bottle into someone's face with the palm of her hand

Funny story, that's actually the better way to really hurt someone with a bottle. That is, using the body of the bottle rather than the neck. The bottle doesn't break as easy and you can get a more solid hit, because a broken bottle is kinda poo poo as a weapon.

What you don't then do, if you HAVE broken the bottle, is just... I don't know, drop it? Let it disintegrate like the stuff on the table?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

CottonWolf posted:

Anything with a Dry Bones is also a good desert.

Dry Bones needs to be an unlockable DLC character in ME Andromeda for the Switch.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

eonwe posted:

i dont think the game is good but if you like it then thats good

I think this makes you good, eonwe.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

monster on a stick posted:

I'm definitely naming my male character Dick.

Just name him Lowe.

For the people who've played the game, the "classic heat" upgrade , can that be combined with other upgrades?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Arglebargle III posted:

ANGORA: Did your people have plans to settle here? You seem easily affected by the cold.

RYDER: Euh...

Actual squad banter.

So basically DA:I banter. That is, not required and just exists to fill empty airtime.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Generic Monk posted:

i'm still finding it kind of weird that the 'pathfinder' title is treated with almost religious significance. maybe it's better explained in the course of the actual opening idk. guess i'll find out when i get a pc that can play morrowind at more than 15fps (not joking)

Replace pathfinder with inquisitor and be enlightened.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Huh, so the main antagonist is trying to become a "God" using ancient power. that reminds me a lot of something else..

So apparently Inquisition is Bioware's new mold much like Warcraft 3 became the mold for every story ever for Blizzard.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Number Ten Cocks posted:

ME: Andromeda - Don't Play It, SAM

Yeah uh this is going to win.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Wait, the Angaran's use thermal clips for their weapons too? What are the actual odds that a species in an entirely different galaxy would develop the exact tech Reapers/Geth inspired?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

marshmallow creep posted:

Angarans use heleus tech which is recharge based with heat seeking plasma (!) unless you mod it to use thermal clips.

What does heat seeking plasma even mean? Wouldn't it just seek itself?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

So basically in one part of the ice planet you come upon an AI that keeps lying over and over if SAM is to be believed, and then tries to take a hostage to get you to keep them alive. Now obviously she might just be freaking out and hence act a little weird, but the only two options are to keep her alive and lose the hostage or kill the AI to save the hostage. So given those options why would you save the AI when not only is it trying to actively kill your allies but keeps lying about who it is and why it is doing what it is? . It reminds me of a very similar scene in me 1 that only gave you the one option of killing it when found out, but there the choice was out of your hands.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Clawtopsy posted:

my favorite :argh: SJWS!!!!!!!!!! :argh: complaint ive seen so far is "SJW agenda, why would you send a TRANS on a COLONY MISSION because they CAN'T BREED!!!!!!!!!"

in a game setting with asari

Also in vitro fertilization doesn't exist in the future, or cloning, or surrogates or just other people having kids while you help feed and tend to them.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I'm fed up with this Nexus!

*jumps into the atmosphere of a planet to escape Ryder and the other humans*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Wait wait hold on.

The Angarans have been invaded by the kett (not a spoiler, they both appear in promotional material and their roles are described there). Their part of the galaxy has been under occupation by the kett for a while, possibly decades, with the kett whittling away at them during that time, stealing their resources and taking their people for making new kett for some dumb reason. And then humans arrive and go "Well we are just gonna settle here whilst fighting off the kett. No we won't give those planets in your space back." I would've thought the Angarans might have some objections to that.

Edit: It isn't like the Angarans might need resources to replenish themselves after that long war, right?