Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Nods to other games don't really mean they're canonically in the same universe. Devs do that poo poo all the time.

There was some posts somewhere way back when, from some developer or writer or something confirming lyrium is eezo and a quarian ship crashed on Thedas and hung around for a while. I believe the idea was they used the qunari as local intermediaries and muscle. Wish I still had it archived somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Chexoid posted:

Ah I can only hope that Mass Effect reaches the same levels of intelligence and subtle social commentary as that show

Hey, Andromeda had a lot of promise, but a mid-stream change in writing staff and a decision to move from longer, deeper story-arcs to faster, flashier action-oriented episodes...

Huh, sounds just like the Mass Effect trilogy, doesn't it?

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

precision posted:

I'm not saying I disagree, at all, I'm saying who the flip cares as long as the game and story are good.

And Hanar and Elcor? They're in the games so rarely I literally didn't think of them. There's all of one Hanar in the whole trilogy you ever see in person, you never actually interact with them and their main purpose for existing is for a really terrible joke told very slowly. Elcor I'll grant you look different from humans, but not that much - they still have two arms and two legs (or four legs, two of which look more like arms, whatever).

I'm just saying, some posting is starting to sound like the kind of people who bought Monster Manual 2 and unironically thought Modrons were awesome.

There's at least three hanar you interact with in me1 I can think of. There's street preacher hanar, there's outreach hanar elsewhere in the citadel, and there's shady smuggler hanar on noveria.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

exquisite tea posted:

They learned that the appropriate way to address criticisms of overly bloated open world quests was to just hide them all in nested folders.

And even that wouldn't be so bad, if on of the folders was 'List of quest by current goddamn destination.' Sorting them by where you originally received them is useless.

Here's my random thoughts and hot take, put together as I've played over the last week.

The game isn't bad, it's just woefully unpolished. It needed a year of content freeze, outside play testing, and work on feedback. Some user feedback like 'yes, the space transitions are pretty, but EVERY loving TIME?!' or 'When the current quest has multiple points, I'd like to be able to designate the specific one I'm going for' or 'when moving in cover, the character should face the way they're moving.'

Some of the technology is impressive. I remember when Terra Nova: Strike Force Centauri made crude inverse kinematics a major selling point, back in 1995, yet I also played MGS5 right before Andromeda, and stairs were still animated like going up or down a ramp. The environments are pretty as all getout. The environmental effects are nice. Being able to stand up on a mountain, see something way WAY off in the distance, hop in your whip, and drive there, is awesome. Being able to explore an entire city, or your own ship, with no loading screens? A+. Land on Voeld, and your armour gets covered in snow. Ellenaad or whatever it's called, the Krogan world, and you get all dusty. I was impressed with the rain beading on the armour in Drack's mission. When I was wandering through Havaarl, I remember thinking, about all the vegetation, 'this is what they promised with KOTOR. I remember them saying 'every blade of grass' and all that.'

On the other hand, they also seem to have gone for algorithmic faces and what not, and that fell flat. Ryder moves like a marionette or muppet. Especially glaring when she takes a drink; you can almost see the pushrods at her various joints. Turions, especially the militia leader on the Nexus, move more like battlemechs than people.

The writing is actually good, by and large; they really do, as others have pointed out, show, not tell. Cora, as an example, was clearly pissed that she got passed over, consciously trying to be professional about it, and subconsciously being a prick about it, constantly going on about Sarissa and how we need to find her so she'd fix everything. I thought to myself 'you know, she's one of those people who is a perfect XO, but would make a poo poo captain; she has no leadership. She's always looking to implement other people's plans.' Then, sure enough, her loyalty mission comes along.

Similarly, my Ryder seems to be growing and developing. Her first 'staff' meeting on the Tempest, people were just flat-out making plans around her, then when it was done, they got up and left, leaving her sitting there, mumbling 'meeting adjourned.' She's growing into her leadership role, and they're starting to accept and defer to her, now.

The game makes it pretty clear that while Ryder initiates 'formal first contact between the Angaran people and the AI,' there's been an awful lot of informal contact with the AI, as well as the exiles, and language translation files have been spreading around.

Drack is awesome; they somehow managed to write a grumpy old man Krogan, but what constitutes 'grumpy' makes sense for Krogan society.

The terminal messages in New Tuchanka should all be tracked down and read.

Somebody clearly googled 'how is toxicity measured,' saw the phrase 'LD50,' and just threw it in. 'Toxicity Level 1 LD50' through 'Toxicity Level 3 LD50' is meaningless, and it bugs me. And even being so meaningless, hey, 3 units having an LD50 is less toxic than 1 unit having an LD50.

Somebody above mentioned thinking it silly that your space suit would have a problem with extreme cold. Actually, that makes sense; space suits usually have problems getting rid of your body heat, or dealing with direct radiant heat.

I don't think Angarans are cat people, despite the leonine noses. I think they're evolved cobras.

Everybody except humans, asari, and kett, have digigrade legs. Turians, salarians, krogan, angara.

Same problem every open world game seems to have 'Protagonist, your king has been killed/buddy has been captured/you have the coordinates of the bad guy, but he'll go somewhere else/whatever but hey, first lets go fishing! Wheeee!'

As others have said, there's lots of good detail buried away in side quests, random conversations, datapads, terminals, and it's super easy to just breeze on by them. Again, in New Tuchanka, an entire series of messages which points out that yeah, Krogan have very little experience living in mixed society, and it's new for a lot of them, and they need to figure out how it works. It was nice to see an actual city of Krogan, with scientists, shop keepers, and so on. Helps to avoid the 'race of hats' syndrome.

I don't think there's multiple stages between Ghetto Nexus and Citadel 2: Heleus Boogaloo. There should have been.

The AI found a Geth thingy where they put three Mass Effect relays together to build a virtual telescope. So? The relays somehow, what, managed to accelerate light coming from the Andromeda galaxy towards themselves? Relays operate in 'suck' mode as well as 'blow?' Or they acted as active sensors, shot huge radar pulses at the Heleus Cluster and watched the returns? Maybe that's what made the Scourge...

I feel like squad use should have been taken up a notch. Like, you get to a planet, and you can form the squaddies that aren't with you into a 'B-Team' that takes care of other tasks while you're bopping around. Much like you can assign strike teams to MP missions, or jump in yourself, imagine if you could assign, say, Cora to lead Liam and Vetra bopping around the planet to deal with the 'additional tasks' bullshit, maybe have specific actions that help raise viability, whatever, but have them doing 'something' instead of jerking off on the ship. It would help with the feeling that 'this all fell apart, we're the only pathfinder team, and we're trying to eat soup with a knife.' Similarly, as you reactive the other Pathfinder teams, you can assign them to other worlds to follow up on things you can't attend to personally. Steal the SWTOR trick of conference-calling in to conversations that you need to see for quest resolution or whatever.

The 'finish task on planet->return to tempest->read email->go straight back to planet to follow upon that task resolution' thing is crap.

The best way I've found is to use the map to find local things to do, rather than combing through the journal. It would be nice if you could hide the 'find 10 whatever' type quests from the map, though. The small, bite-sized nature, though, really leads to 'just one more...' gameplay.

Ryder really is just a mobile platform for SAM. "Pathfinder, this door won't open. Perhaps a scan will provide some clues." Scan. "Pathfinder, the door is locked. Perhaps I can unlock it. The door is now unlocked. You may proceed, Pathfinder."

Drack's loyalty mission is the bomb diggity. Liam's is good fun, but needed more Star Wars quotes. The bad guy coming up on the vidscreen, with ominous music, then being completely cut off mid-crescendo when Ryder or Liam hits the 'hang up' button to continue their conversation, repeatedly, was funny.

If ME1 was basically a self-contained sci-fi movie series, with each planet being basically a self-contained storyline with a lightly overarching b-plot binding them all together, and ME2 was more like a sci-fi TV show, with the individual missions being kinda like episodes, some filler, some metaplot heavy, and some both, ME:A reflects the youtube generation; missions are like bite-sized little video clips and you can jump between them endlessly.

ME:A reminds me of the Star Wars prequels; written by people ho grew up watching the originals. ME:A also seems to be a soft reboot, but then again, ME2 seemed to be a soft reboot of ME1; things established in ME1 went out the airlock for ME2, like how human biotics work.

But on the other hand, while the ME trilogy gave me the impression that Shepard was a doer on a mission, I have to admit, Andromeda does convey a certain sense of wonder and newness. I think they're all a bit blasé about being in a brand new galaxy and being off to a disastrous start, but with so much poo poo going on around Ryder, instead of ME where things happened *because* of Shepard, it does give a different feel.

I'm reminded of how, when the original Witcher game was released, it was unadulterated poo poo. Hot, refined, weapons-grade, pharmaceutical-purity poo poo. Certified ISO-9001 poo poo. So they released the 'enhanced edition' with new animations, new models, redone models, new monsters, new script, new inventory system, all sorts of stuff. Basically, a whole new game, to be honest.

The most emotional reaction from any of my Mass Effect playtime that I remember, though, was the end of ME3 when my Femshep turned on the Crucible, slumped down and started to drift away, only for the radio to start squaking 'Shepard, it's not working, Shepard, come in.' She opens her eyes, lurches to her feet, and Jennifer Hale just lets out the most heartwrenching 'What do you need me to do?' in an 'I'm literally holding my guts in my stomach with my hands, but I'm a helper, damnit' voice. How many times does poor Shepard have to come back from the dead for you people?

Captain Oblivious posted:

Which in turn raises a lot of questions like for example:

The Krogan are all literal psychopaths due to the Blood Rage being a trait that helped them survived one or more of their self inflicted nuclear apocalypses, fixing that would undoubtedly qualify as changing the way they think and making them functionally different people, is it right to do THAT with or without their consent in order to make a universe that doesn't inevitably end in Eternal War between the Krogan and everyone else? Was it a good idea to construct the setting this way in the first place, or have we maybe inadvertently gone right back to Half-Orcs get -2 Intelligence.

There's a little sidequest in Paradise where Lexi wants to see if there's a reason there's so many goddamn psychopaths running around being outlaws and scavengers, given that the Initiative screened for such things. You, of course, do a bunch of scanning, and she discovers a brain chemistry imbalance caused by the cryo sleep. You then try to convince (or force) a scavenger to take space-SSRIs to deal with it, and it touches on this concept, medical ethics, and so on. In the space of a few minutes, and ignores the fact that the original non-consensual scans are already a massive breach of medical ethics. But hey.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

great post and this is the only point i disagree with, because he never struck me as that grumpy. but he is pretty happy and care free compared to wrex and even grunt(trying to find himself and all that.)

Like I said, grumpy, but for a Krogan.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Reclaimer posted:

"I shot the console. Do you... do you think he'll be mad!?"

I was happy when they paraphrased Harrison Ford's detention level adlib, but they should have quoted it directly, then followed up with 'boring conversation anyway. Liam, we're going to have company!' It was a nice little romp, though, and the gravity shenanigans were good times.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Funky See Funky Do posted:

They are biologically incapable of not being war like. Before the genophage the only way they kept their populations in check was through constant warfare. It's just how they've evolved. Who didn't give them a chance when they nuked their own planet? I'm sorry but might be different isn't worth the risk.

That's what aliens usually say about humans in sci-fi. :black101:

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Dexo posted:

They very much at least partially are hidden loads.

There is zero chance that flying from Planet A to Planet B in a solar system to do scanning involves 'loads.'

Also, many is the time on my PS4, when landing on Eos, that I get this:
1: select 'land.'
2: Ryder and crew are standing in the middle of Prodromos
3: Suddenly, the 'landing the Tempest' thing plays. Seeing as you can see the textures and what not popping in on the cliffs behind the Tempest, this a) doesn't seem to be a pre-rendered scene, and b) clearly isn't a loading screen, as we were already loaded and in gameplay

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
Open World needs to just stop being a thing. Or at least, stop being used the way it is nowadays.

Once I got the 'hunting the Archon' mission, I just started loving around doing all the other stuff. I've cleared every non-'Task' mission I can find, except the 'finding the Angaran relics' one, because, for some reason, I don't like that one.

"Pathfinder, the Archon is at Planet X, but who knows how long he'll stay there! We need to go NOW!"

"Yeah, yeah, but first, everything else."

All planets 100% viability, without even trying. All loyalty quests done. All of the stupid 'follow the breadcrumbs through eight separate systems, followed by, gasp, combat.' All of the 'perhaps your scanner will reveal something, Pathfinder.' Even an interesting moment when I have one quest who's next step says 'Talk to Addison and assistant on the Nexus' and another who's next step says 'Contact Addison via Vidcom.'

Which leads me into the next point.

I've said it before, briefly, but I'll say it again: This game seriously needed the main designers to be sat down on a nice couch, with a nice TV and sound system, and some nice snacks, and the instruction 'Your job, now, is to play this game to completion. You can skip, lets say 60% of the 'additional tasks' but that's it. Also, you must wind up with 80 percent of the cluster explored. No smartphones allowed in the testing room.'

When I, personally, can be deploying strike teams from the mall while my kids are running around, there's no justification for QEC-equipped Ryder not to be able to. When I, personally, can dash off an email to somebody in another country letting them know that an assignment is done, there's no justification for Ryder needing to 'return to X' to turn in a quest. Which, admittedly, you often don't need to do, but still do enough to be annoying as hell.

There's no justification for 'Meet X in Kadara port. Return to Tempest. Read email. Go right back to Kadara port to do the next bit.'

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

RBA Starblade posted:

The lighting's kind of hosed on the Nexus huh? Turians are almost glowing sometimes and my character turned pale.

It truly is, and it's the reason Addison tends to look like a circus clown. When her model is somewhere else, like Prodromos, it looks better. Contrariwise, when Cora is at the victory party on Meridian in the epilogue she suddenly looks horrible.

Finished the game last night. The final mission sequence gives the game, much like Gryffindor, an extra five points. But it, just like the loyalty missions, also reinforces my previous assertion: open world is for the birds as a 'must-have' feature. I'd much rather a relatively small number of tightly scripted and directed set pieces than a massive 'spend twenty minutes hopping between systems to scan the next breadcrumb' crap. The movie night quest chain is a particularly egregious example of this.

Also, another 'millennial' facet that seems to peek through the game is that you can literally do no wrong. After I exiled the 'first murderer' guy, on the legal theory that an incompetent murderer is still a murderer, I ran into him in the slums at Kadara Port, and he thanked me for exiling him. Apparently in doing so, I'd help him reach self-actualization, improved his marriage, and blah blah blah.. Similarly, Director Tann called me up after me and the other Pathfinders hosed off to Meridian and tripped over his own tongue apologizing to me, he was wrong, I was right, blah blah blah. I mean, I'd understand if he'd said 'You disobeyed orders, and the fact that things worked out doesn't change that. Publically, we're in far too precarious a position to call you to task for this, but understand that we, the interim civilian leadership, now have a different understanding of the relationship between Nexus government and the Pathfinder, and I assure you, there will be consequences.' But, nope, I'm surprised I didn't get a certificate out of the deal.

That said, I did dig that Ryder wasn't just Shephard with the serial numbers filed off, and there really was character growth and evolution over the game. At the beginning, her team has no problem talking over her, coming to decisions while she stands there spluttering, and by the end, they'll follow her into Hell. That part was nice, and organic.

Said it before, say it again: a year of content freeze and diligent QA polishing, and this game would have been critically lauded. As is, flawed but enjoyable. Solid 7/10, and I don't regret preordering, sinking two weeks into it, or getting 85+% completion.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Mass Effect 2's problem is it's missing a second act. It would've made collecting your guys much easier to accomplish in any order, and give you something to do with them before The Suicide Mission. Also a much better point to do the Loyalty Missions than taking detours on the way to our vitally-critical recruitment jobs.

It's still a fantastic game though.

When you say that, I almost feel like that second act should have been a team mission earlier in the game, which failed miserably due to lack of trust and team cohesion, to give you a reason to build up team loyalty and what not.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Baron Corbyn posted:

it surely can't be easier than FFXV?

And yeah, I'm getting back into it now. As much as I did actually enjoy ME:A despite its flaws, I regret putting Horizon aside for it.

Heh, I've been playing video games since the Atari 2600. I think FF 15 might be the only game, since the Xbox invented achievements as a standardized thing, that I've gotten the 'did everything' achievement. And that involved a rubber band around the analog sticks for several hours to build up Gladio's survival skill. It's certainly the only platinum trophy I have, on PS3, 4 or Vita. But FF15, every trophy except the skills and the two or three post-game trophies, you'll hit through playing normally, I think.

I beat FF1 when it was originally released. Never finished 6. Beat 7 (the original PC port put out by Eidos). Never finished 8, even though it's my favorite; 8 is the game I bought a PS1 for. I'd kill for a remaster. Beat 9. Beat 10. Didn't finish 10-2; it's not a game, it's an interactive checklist. Didn't finish 12 (though I'm looking forward to the remaster, I hope they redid the vocals so they don't sound like a bad VoIP connection due to overcompression.) Finished 13. Barely played 13-2, haven't even opened 13-3.

Whelp, done with ME:A, off to try HZD.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

Maybe Kai Leng is one of your early recruits, but he fucks off during a mission leaving the whole thing botched. Then, after you flip off Cerberus and blow up their prize, Illusive Man tracks down Leng by himself and hires him to get back at Shepard.

Suddenly I wonder if the little quest on the Tempest to track down who's been eating your cereal is a subtle reference to good old Kai Leng....

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I mean, that's probably the worst quest to bring up that criticism about, because the other choice ends up with literally the opposite, his wife leaving him and everyone shunning him for being a murderer who got away on a technicality. He puts himself back in stasis.

Well, that surprises me, and does indeed handily negate that particular criticism.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Haledjian posted:

I want a scene where he tries to offer Ryder tips after

"There's this thing your dad used to do--"
"LALALALALA STOP"

Pathfinder, your partner may respond better to manual stimulation in a different location. A scan may reveal new erogenous zones. Once I have analyzed the scan results, I can direct your ministrations.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

RBA Starblade posted:

I mean I figured that was the deal but sending out a half finished piece of poo poo without the ability to build new ships (?) or have power unless the arks dock to it (? Was this just the Scourge blowing up some power plants no one ever bothered to fix or a resource thing? It's not really all that clear) is a good recipe for failure, as the Initiative found out. I get that they weren't expecting anything but still, it seems like the Nexus has literally nothing.

I mean, if the Nexus was supposed to show up first, why didn't they have any Pathfinders? They're the guys doing all the looking and exploring right? Why is that even a fancy title?

Imagine you use a magic telescope to look across the ocean. You see a beautiful coastline, good farming land, ample game, excellent rivers for trade.

You build a few ships. One you send ahead to basically build a port and quay. A few others will leave a bit later, filled with workers and explorers who will use said port and quay as a base of operations. The workers are there to expand out the port into a full town, establish outposts to gather natural resources, and build the beginnings of colonies for yet more colonists.

The trip across the ocean will be a six hundred year nap.

During that nap, the coastline is ravaged by various calamities. When you get there, the farmland is all barren and sterile, the rivers are choked up with debris and crap, and so on. The waters around the coastline are now storm-wracked almost constantly, for no good reason.

It's actually not a bad plan, as such things go, and they could hardly have anticipated poo poo going so far south.

Having finished ME:A with a 90% completion rate, I've started playing Horizon: Zero Dawn. Holy crap. I've played up to Aloy's training montage so far, and man, this is art. There was more care put into animating how a little girl moves and walks and looks around for a five-minute intro/tutorial than ME:A put into animation at all, it seems.

On the other hand, when Ryder climbs stairs, Ryder climbs stairs. When little girl climbs stairs, she walks up a 45 degree incline, including bracing hands and feet on the empty air between steps.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

socialsecurity posted:

She lives in a hut so there aren't any stairs in her house and she's not protected, she shouldn't be expected to know how they work.

The problem isn't that little girl is unfamiliar with stairs; it's that H:ZD plays 'anim_paddling_up_stairs_1' where ME:A uses inverse kinematics to figure out how a body would need to move to climb stairs.

On the other hand, H:ZD plays 'anim_petulant_little_girl_1' and drat, the kid looks exactly like a petulant seven year old, while ME:A attempts to use some sort of procedural face modelling, and fails miserably.

I'm more pointing out that each system has it's drawbacks, than anything else.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

marshmallow creep posted:

I think that was the storeowner where the conversation was summed up as "Hi, what brought you to Andromeda?" "Hello. I'm transgender."

This was loudly decried as unrealistic behavior by people who publicly proclaim, without prompting, their transgender status.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
Not to bring science into ME, but:

Isn't the idea that they weren't 'flying' to Andromeda, so much as were 'launched towards' Andromeda, and would either drop out of FTL at roughly a given point, or would have no way of going back into the 'super-FTL'?

Meaning either a) they drop out a few hundred light years away...and see nothing amiss, because speed-of-light lag, or b) were more-or-less hoping for the best, and why wouldn't they?

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Turbl posted:

Imagine how much cooler Cora would be if she was a krogan weeaboo instead of an asari weeaboo. She could use the krogan headbutt melee instead of the normal one and shame Ryder about only having two testicles.

Ya know, it's funny, there's exactly one character in ME:A that I actively want to see more fleshed out, and that's the human with the Quarian name in the epilogue. Dayna vas Hyperion, I think it was. She mentioned Quarian godparents, but man, there's a story there.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Elotana posted:

(3) I get to the top of the structure that has the angaran sages. I have a conversation with the sage where he brusquely informs me I have to leave, because this is a sacred place yada yada. Okay, fair enough. Then I exit the conversation and stroll around only to hear "deploying forward station" and boom, one of my big loving supply pods parks itself right on top of their sacred angarans-only clubhouse. Nobody remarks on this. gently caress OFF.

This is an acceptable example of gameplay/story segregation, because if you had to do the entire platform jumping sequence every time you wanted to get up there, you'd see the Internet howling about that, and rightly so.

Admittedly, it would have been really easy to throw in a line or two handwaving it, but.....

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

SgtSteel91 posted:

She's not the only one

Oh drat, that looks....good.

I was thinking. When the Nomad gets dropped for your run into wherever it is you go on Merdian I thought it was a really nice callback to ME1 with dropping the Mako whenever you wanted to jander about but then I thought of that entire sequence "Isn't this literally the end of the original Halo?"

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Alan Is More Upset posted:

They've bumped the inventory max to 200 and fixes the eyes by giving them shadows. Too bad I've already beaten the game and will forever remember it as a buggy pile of garbage with stone faced characters.

Meh, I'll play it again in a year when all of the DLCs and expansions have been released.

Were the inventory limits really an issue? I never hit them. Sell your junk, break down all of the weapons you'll never use, and sell all of the upgrade bits for weapons you never use.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Look, it's how she sees herself, OK? She clearly self-identifies as an Asari trapped in a Human body.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Pattonesque posted:

What I think: the Quarian Ark "poo poo is bad, don't come looking for us" call is because they've encountered geth who also decided to come to Andromeda to escape the Reapers

"We're fine, just lost. But nobody cares about Quarians, so if we said that, nobody would come. But we know how you hero types work. Hence, vague warnings of ominous mysteries. Anywho, thanks for the directions and can of space gas. See you at the nexus!"

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

a primate posted:

Every character is boring except Grampa Drack and Reyes.

ALSO they still haven't fixed the "upgrade the Nomad's shield regenerators" bug or the "go see Addison and her Russian guy" quest yet.

Also also I played the contagion quest and loved it even though it involved running around a bunch of places.

What's wrong with the Addison and Russian Guy quest? I assume you mean the one to pull a colonist back out of cryo after they went back in because the original Eos colonies failed? If so, I had the devil of a time with that, until I realized you have to talk to Russian guy, go into a grey 'already talked about this' conversation to find the option to ask for her to be thawed. but there may be another bug I just didn't happen to hit?

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Verviticus posted:

yeah, im just saying there's obfuscation in understanding how the kett typically operate because the version we see are behaving oddly

To be fair, the odd way they're behaving is not giving their full attention to forcibly converting everybody in sight. And even then, the Archon wants Meridian in order to have the power to enforce conversion on an industrial scale.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Vanderdeath posted:

"Real talk" has been a thing for decades, slang-wise. Maybe Addison is a fan of kicking it old school.

Now, if she'd said "hashtag real talk" maybe. My kids hate it when I say that.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
This may or may not have been posted already.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qvvmVpS3AA

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Mymla posted:

ME: Andromeda - This thread can be mined for resources.

ME: Andromeda - Pathfinder, there may be valuable clues hidden within this thread. I suggest scanning each post for valuable information.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

ashpanash posted:

Here's an idea:

Maybe the game is better if you imagine you're never actually playing as Ryder. You're playing as SAM.

Take it one step further. You watch playerRyder die. SAM takes over the brain, on-screen with that neat little shot of necrotized neurons being rebuilt. pRyder is SAM's full-on meat puppet.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
Ash wasn't racist, she was just afraid humanity would experience what every culture does when they get found by a bigger, more militarily-advanced culture; become "client" or vassal at best; swept aside at worst.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
I fail to see how it's racist to say 'Hmmm, so there was this race of guys who attacked us with no legitimate (to our minds) provocation or warning, who are specifically a militant state who subjugate other species. They work with a pair of other races who very clearly, specifically, and forthrightly, engineer the governance of the galaxy to keep themselves on top, and everybody else, not. Maybe we shouldn't assume that they have our best interests at heart, and just make sure that we're watching out for ourselves, because nobody else is going to.'

Or, put another way, is it 'racist' for the Afghan peoples not to be welcoming Westerners with open arms?

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

hard counter posted:

:turianass: councillor, some quarian robotics scientists accidentally made some illegal AIs and there was a revolution

:liara: ban all quarians

:turianass: but very few quarians are actually robotics scientists, yet most quarians have had to abandon their planet because of something they didn't do and literally billions of others have even died during the revolution, and even the scientists only did this in error, surely a more measured response-

:liara: send no aid to quarians, ban all quarians and every time a quarian comes aboard the citadel use C-SEC to interrogate them to uncover their intentions, if this indiscriminate reduction in status causes racial bigotry just look the other way

Don't forget:
:liara: Huh, ancient precursor technology. Horde that poo poo and use it to establish Asari superiority over all other races in the galaxy.

I mean, lets face it, when one of your squadmates is a walking example of racial persecution for something that happened, what, hundreds of years ago, and another is a walking example of the fact that the Council races will use genetic engineering to turn your entire race into cannon fodder, then use more genetic engineering to put you back into your place, a healthy amount of 'lets make sure we're not next, guys' is probably the prudent and measured response.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
It's basic game theory; if anybody might screw you over, your best play is to screw first, screw often.

Also, somebody needs to make Mass Effect: Diplomacy. Just a straight reskin.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
Drell: Say, our planet is hosed. Can we have some space drellmatarian relief?
Hanar: these ones will save a few of you. If you agree to be our SPHESS ASSASSINS!!!!!
Drell: what are we going to say? No?

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

ashpanash posted:

Game really really bad. Franchise ending level bad.

Mac Walters' mission is complete. He Kai Leng-ed it. Great job, Mac! I admire your artistic integrity.

Mac Walters smiled as he installed ME:A on his unsuspecting victim's console, then erased it. The victim would never know the game had been there at all, but Mac Walters knew. The console was now, and always would be in a way, his.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
Meh, good for them for actually making the effort to do this.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
ME started as “we want to make kotor3 but don’t want to pay for the license/kowtow to the canon,” and in a lot of ways took opportunities to gently caress with it. What would force training really be like? Kids kidnapped, sadistic drill instructors that beat performance out of you. What would a Jedi Knight with the rigid code of conduct REALLY be like? Samara. Look at Sarien as Vader. There’s a lot of parallels you can draw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Ainsley McTree posted:

I’d give myself a killer bod if I were a wizard too

This is a plot point in The Witcher universe.