Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.
Someone get this guy an account.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

notoriousman posted:

He already said he wouldn't take it to remain "impartial".

Besides, Derek Smart already has an account here...

He's confused, impartial means you are never critical of Star Citizen, so he should just give it up and come on over.

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

Beet Wagon posted:

They built an insanely lovely system and now they're mad at their users for min/maxing it.

Yeah the fact that the system exists as such is a symptom of the shady principles behind their whole funding model.

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

Chalks posted:

I'd love to hear the explanation of all the development time spent on spectrum, a complex and universally hated replacement for an entirely functional system that added nothing what so ever to the game itself.

Likely because building Spectrum was a thing they could accomplish without reckoning with their Liberian mountain of technical/design debt.

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

We've refactored Friday into Cryday thanks to CryEngine Lumberyard

Firday thanks to Lumberyard.

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

Kelp Me! posted:

I think the BC3000 thing is really the most baffling to me about the whole deal. It'd be like if John Romero went after the Shadow Warrior 2 devs for making a swordfighting game that was too crude and juvenile.

It may be a pot-kettle situation but he's our pot. Well, I guess it's more like he showed up here one day, and it doesn't seem like he's going anywhere. He isn't so objectionable as to get perma-banned and so that's just how it is, I guess.

You'll learn to filter out the Derek noise. I don't think he can help it. Occasionally he'll say something important but you have to distill that meaning from 50,000 words of exaggeration.

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

Eldragon posted:

I believed it, because at this point CIG will put anything up for sale.

Imagine if at the very bitter, desperate end they start putting up whatever concept art ships they had in reserve, like the loving sword-and-board ship Fuzzy Modem helped design, with very little thought and QC, for very cheap. I can play that out in my head.

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

Goddammit that is pretty freaking cool. I should play that game. Wish I could try it to make sure it runs.

That said, I get why I used to favor SC's approach. Make it immersive in first-person from the get-go. Obviously, starting with an existing engine built for that checks that box but builds in a whole bunch of technical debt you have to pay off to make all the space poo poo work. As we know, CIG devs probably don't fully grasp the extent of the issues they have to fix to make it work in LumberCry.

I don't think anyone would really dispute that they needed to design an engine from the ground up, like Elite did, so they could build it to handle all of their gameplay. I'm sure Elite was no layup to program it for "basically just space poo poo" at the beginning. To get first person stuff and the space flight working almost simultaneously must exist on a razor's edge if at all. I honestly don't know how it could be done.

The thing that reddit refuses to understand is that all game dev is construct, it's never really an analog for how the things really work. All of their system theorycrafting is Space Game Development Fan Fiction brought to you by Dunning-Kruger.

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Buy it on Steam and refund it if it doesn't work. Not complicated at all.

Good call, that's what I'll do.

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

StarBegotten posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/6o40ga/star_citizen_development_progress_infographic/

Wow I have been reading that Reddit thread and just reading the mental gymnastics is making me feel tired!

I love how GORF returns after months and months away and with one forum post creates the biggest, ripest shitstorm we have seen in a long time.

Welcome back man :D

Yeah it's loving beautiful. Usually there are hopeful, reasonable (if cherry-picked) top posts on SC related news in r/games but this the graphic and it's accompanying post make a compelling argument. It's even more beautiful that the infographic was converted with some effort into a text post by a disappointed backer who's upset about the feature cuts and is sick of being dogpiled in the SC sub.

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

Hav posted:

This.

So, in the Penny Arcade thing, Kuchera mentions that Roberts has private funding on top of the kickstarter. Did we ever figure out what this was?

Bootcha?

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

zcrow posted:

Download Greenshot. It's the poo poo.

It is unequivocally the poo poo. It might seem like yet another utility you need to remember to get for a computer to be usable but trust us. Use it for a bit and it'll be worth the effort of installing it every time several times over.

It's screenshot editor is my goto for quick image editing, even stuff I didn't screen shot.

Built-in upload to imgur.

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.
I'm not quite sure what they mean, is it one truck with all of the different poo poo crammed into it for $230 or do you get 5 trucks for $230?

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

Meridian posted:

I am going to start a new X-Com 2 campaign tonight when I get off work. Service Guarantees Citizenship. Who wants a soldier?

I'll happily be the rookie you use to scout around and aggro enemies.

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

Hav posted:

Who would have thought that a car in a space sim would not sell like proverbial hot 'cakes' of some description.

I'm gonna call that the Tumbril Cyclone is the start of the nosedive of concept ship quality. In a flailing attempt to stay alive, they're going to scrape the bin and sell any ship they have a color picture of.

Bold prediction: they offer fuzzy's sword and board concept for sale at some point.

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

XK posted:

He also didn't replace the SA source link, he just added your page as another source. The SA forum link at the bottom is what was there already.

He'll probably credit Ivanka Trump if that will get Derek to go away.

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

*Smug Trump Avatar*

"I'LL BUILD A SOURCE AND MAKE THEM CREDIT ME"

"...AND MAKE CHRIS ROBERTS PAY FOR IT!"

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

D_Smart posted:

He's reading my Tweets. I literally have the page open in a tab, and the ONLY thing I see in one tab, is

And in another tab, which opened when I clicked on your post link, I see

In his defense, gaslighting you could end up being pretty funny.

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

Roller Coast Guard posted:

I slightly worry that I may be making a :thejoke: post here (I've not been following the saga closely for all that long) but this sentence seems to sum up this entire shitshow.

CIG keep producing more concept ships to raise more funds to keep the lights on for long enough to allow the programmers to overcome the technical problems. Problem is the new concept ships keep bringing new technical problems to the list faster than CIG can overcome them, at least some of the issues aren't actually possible to overcome given the decisions already made and current technology available, the more artists they hire to make JPGs the less they can spend on hiring competent programmers, and everyone is buried too deep under the promises they've already made to pull out or change course now.

It's like a tech debt ponzi scheme.

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

ModernSociety posted:

Star Citizen: Suffering from Server Anxiety

Oh gently caress he actually wrote "server" :laffo:

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

Warhawk109 posted:

There would also be wet dust/dirt particles on the floor that would have to be picked up from doing an improper mopping job. Also if you forget to put up wet floor signs, crew members walking though will leave dirty foot prints and you'll have to start over.

Maybe they're just planning to pad out anywhere they are thin on content with custodial duty. I hear the UEE Navy is pretty strict...

Landing Collision: 12 hours mop duty
Messy Wank-Pod (COME ON!): 1 hour mop duty
Completed 40 hours of sim training: 1 hour mop duty
Successful Landing: 1 hour mop duty
Exceptional Bravery in Service of UEE: 2 hours mop duty

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

quote:

they are working on a AI system like in A Shadow of Mordor (Nemesis System)

AKA Chris played Shadow of Mordor for an hour and says "I want that." Remember when he was demanding all sorts of wizzbang cinematics like The Order:1866 or whatever?

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

Beet Wagon posted:

Funnily enough, noted bad FPS Titanfall 2 has a functioning hologram gadget that replicates whatever movement the player was doing when he activated it, includes some things like basic obstacle avoidance, and is insanely fun to trick people with.

e: gently caress it, here's holograms in Titanfall 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68R1ijUTvyM

I'm not sure if you're joking but Titanfall 2 was fine.

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

Beet Wagon posted:

I am, I love Titanfall 2 in basically every way. We were comparing it to Star Marine a while ago and the joke was that SM was way better cause it was more tacticool.

Thanks. The look in his eyes is going to keep me warm through the winter months.

Yeah after writing that, it seemed like I was missing some context. I got back to work after this weekend and totally :skipped1000posts: to the second to last page of the thread.

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

MedicineHut posted:

I am in the middle of the Empire campaign, killing gobbos, chaos dudes and norsemen right and left, all the while trying to bribe make a confederation with the rest of the humans, alas no orks just yet.

AMA.

The TW:WH chat is killing me right now. Love Total War, very fond of Warhammer but only from afar as I've never touched a piece of the tabletop. I just don't have enough time to get through a TW game right now.

I remember during a brief sub-lease in the summer, it was going to take two weeks to get an internet install. So I went down to walmart, grabbed Total War Medieval II and, with a brief break from my job, basically didn't know what time of day it was for two weeks and started to dissociate from circadian sleep rhythm. That was a pretty good game.

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

XK posted:

RISC was awesome back when assembly language opcodes were hardwired silicon. Long pipeline 5 ghz CPUs were awesome before they hit physical limits on silicon speed and complexity limits on the pipelines.

RISC is out of fashion for general purpose CPUs, and Intel chucked NetBurst architecture in the bin, for a reason.

Now everything is running hard toward parallel processing, which I believe we're just past the infancy and into toddler stage for CPUs. GPUs are really wonderful there (NVIDIA TITAN Xp, 3840 shader processors, imagine a 3840 core CPU) but have much simpler instruction sets, and vastly less issues with data interdependency, than a general purpose CPU. This is why modern graphics cards are so mind blowing, and wreck CPUs at very special purpose types of scientific calculations.

You can't even write assembly at the silicon level anymore. Modern CPUs take assembly language opcodes, like the highly complex x86_64 instruction set, and run it through an interpreter before the actual desired operation ever hits the silicon gates that calculate it. That's what the microcode on CPUs is. The more complex the op is, or the less likely it is to occur, the more likely it will be implemented purely in microcode.

The "bare metal" assembly language is broken down into even simpler OPs on the silicon via the microcode instructions. There's like ~3,500+ distinct x86_64 instructions. Try hardwiring that in silicon without both blowing up your die size and having a pathological flaw. Some of the registers can't even be touched except by the microcode. The registers cited in the object code often even aren't real, and only exist ethereally. There's kind of a RISC-like thing going on under the hood of the CPU itself, where a single asm instruction gets implemented via multiple lower level operations, and tricks behind the curtain. You can never see or touch any of that unless you have Intel/AMD microcode encryption and signing keys. The CPU itself is basically a loving a VM environment.

We essentially have a shadow RISC on modern CPUs, and threw away deep pipelines for multiprocessing. Plus, we also gained a lot of a multiprocessing on each individual core, which can run handfuls of operations and calculations side by side all alone, single threaded, with any spare resources going into hyperthreading via virtual cores.

We utilized all this amazing technological development in making super powerful CPUs, and bundling 8 or more on a postage stamp, sold for a few hundred bucks, as an excuse to make lovely inefficient code because now processing is cheap.

Now Chris Roberts is abusing all this to make 750k poly ships you can shove a vending machine into. :(

I just wrote all of this because I'm pouring one out on the floor for all my homies: those countless processing cycles lost to cheap inefficiency.

That's actually crazy. I got halfway through a NAND to Tetris course (stopped at building an assembler in the language of my choice) and it was the coolest thing. I knew modern hardware had to be more complicated by orders of magnitude than the 16 bit platform the course used but I had no idea it was like that. At the same time, it should be no surprise because it seems like there is no limit to the utility of adding more abstraction.

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

hot balls man no homo posted:

I was wondering who would be the first one to use a medical condition as an excuse to step away from the project. I would have guessed Sandi, citing exhaustion from working 3 jobs at the same time. Maybe take some time off and go to the Bahamas. Or a non-extradition country.

I hear Venezuela is a great place to visit right now!

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

Mr.Tophat posted:

Do you even know who built this comedy gold mine with their own two hands??? That's right, me!

You cant handle the truth! Son we live in a world that has games, and those have to be guarded by men with forums accounts. Whose gonna do it you, you lieutenant Beet Wagon? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for the goons, and you curse the Battlecruiser devs. You have that luxury, you have the luxury of not knowing what I know, that my refund, while tragic, probably saved lives. And my existence while grotesque and incomprehensible, to you, saves lives. You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about parties; you want me on that forum, you need me on that forum! We use words like parp, stimpire, refactoring, We use these words as the backbone of a life spent making fun of something, you use them as a punch line. I have neither the time, nor the inclination, to explain myself to a man, who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very signal-boost that I provide, and then questions the manner, in which I provide it. I'd rather you just say 'thank you' and go on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a twitter account, and stand a post. Either way, I don't give a drat, what you think you are entitled to!

Polish Avenger fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Aug 18, 2017

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.
Surely we can hold off eating each other for one more day. We'll be dining on citizen-flesh soon!

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

D_Smart posted:

It won't have anything to do with court.

In my experience as a business owner, payment processors aren't dumb fucks who will entertain the notion that a site that makes money from someone changing their avatar for money, doing it themselves in order to get a site visitor to keep changing it back, is sound business. loving LOL!

I could report it, right now, and they will investigate it. Then SA will have to prove to the payment processor they weren't the ones doing it.

Perhaps consider that your reaction could possibly encourage the perpetrators.

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

Variable 5 posted:

At this point I hope it's lowtax just so you get schoooled on how the real world works by the guy at your bank that handles card reversals

"But why do you have to change it back?"

"In July 2015, I wrote in my blog..."

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

:laffo: at the downvote

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I thought we were doing fake twitter-post posts?

He's doing reddit comments before they get cool.

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

Trump's hand too big.

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

lazorexplosion posted:

:tinfoil: the mods, Derek Smart and Lowtax are conspiring to bait goons into buying Derek endless new avatars just by changing it back each time we buy him a new one. He's been in on it since the beginning. :tinfoil:

Checkmate goons, you criticize CIG for selling JPEGs while you pay Lowtax for them to decorate your warlord!

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

D_Smart posted:

:grin:

OK, listen up, you bastards. New rule:

Any time I have to change my avatar, I am going to scroll the page, and change the avatar of one additional person on the same page.

Do me! I feel naked without one.

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

Lazrin posted:

posting for a new avatar

Nah, you are good, my dude.

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.
See? I told you the MODS had the most transparent avatar queue ever.

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.
I made the "You can't handle the truth!" monologue edit, av me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.
Just melt your crappy LTI avatar for it's LTI token.