Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Eldragon posted:

Wow, new OP. I guess this means the game shipped.

Yes it did.

Straight into the garbage can of history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

ManofManyAliases posted:

Has anyone said 'ManofManyAnuses' yet?

edit: I, for one, am glad of the fresh start.

Yes. You.

I don't know why, though. Masochism? :shrug:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Thoatse posted:

So where are we now on Mount Funding?

CIG is claiming we're still in the green parts, but who knows? Since too much misanthropie is unhealthy, it's better to believe we're deep in the red zone and the tracker is a lie anyway. The longer this shitshow goes on, the more misanthropie you need to swallow the idea that people could be really that stupid and continue to throw tons of money at Star Citizen.

Therefore, to keep your mental health in order, it becomes more and more necessary to will yourself into believing the tracker is a lie, since the alternative becomes more and more unbearable. :colbert:

As to the truth of it in an objective sense, the tracker is probably all kinds of hosed, for all we know it could be tracking the proliferation of vermin in backers' households or some dumb poo poo like that.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

XK posted:

All throughout my childhood, my mom always claimed I liked meatloaf. Even today she'll say I used to like it. I've always hated meatloaf. It completely baffles me.

My relatives have the same problem with me: Both my sister and my mother occasionally have to suffer when I accidentally bring something I'm absolutely sure they like. Only to re-learn yet again, nope they hate that poo poo. And have always hated it. :downs:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Thanks to the power of time travel, I have learned what some guy from the Soviet Union thinks about Star Citizen, and he has promised to explain it all to us:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hm6EVtGmDck

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Sarsapariller posted:

Mass Effect series: https://www.origin.com/usa/en-us/store/mass-effect/mass-effect-3/standard-edition
FTL, roguelike space adventure/crew-manager: http://store.steampowered.com/app/212680/
Children of a Dead Earth, hard sci-fi ship combat: http://store.steampowered.com/app/476530/
Rebel Galaxy, cute little spacey-piratey adventure title: http://store.steampowered.com/app/290300/
Kerbal Space Program, procedural building/exploration rocket sim: http://store.steampowered.com/app/220200/
Stellaris, Civ-style 4X space conquest: http://store.steampowered.com/app/281990/
Shallow Space, homeworld-inspired 3D RTS: http://store.steampowered.com/app/305840/
Artemis Bridge Simulator, co-op/party game where you man the consoles on a spaceship as everything explodes: http://store.steampowered.com/app/247350/
Osiris, New Dawn: 1st/3rd person exploration and survival sim: http://store.steampowered.com/app/402710/
Astroneer: Same as Osiris but cuter and with less content: http://store.steampowered.com/app/361420/
Everspace: Arcade style single-player roguelike shooter: http://store.steampowered.com/app/396750/

And of course elite dangerous.

There's also literally Homeworld on Steam, if you want more than just "Homeworld-inspired"

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Morningwoodpecker posted:

Don't get Homeworld remastered it's the first game but it uses the control system from the second which sucks.

Still, it's an awesome upgrade to the old game. And what sucked in Homeworld II wasn't the control system, it was everything else. :colbert:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Mr.PayDay posted:

Afaik he is just quoting from Reddit and RSI Citizens without sourcing the posts he quotes

Man, that explains so much.

As an unrelated aside, I hate when people do this. It's confusing and obnoxious.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Sum Mors posted:

:thejoke:

I hope he/she never stops. The breaks they take between doing it are perfect and somebody always bites.

Well, it's a dumb joke. On the other hand, those guys are brave, because my first reaction to this kind of thing is to assume the poster is an idiot. And I'm sure I'm not the only one. So, kudos to guys like him for looking like an idiot on the internet for our entertainment.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

What the hell is up with those mentaloids? I watched the same video and I found it painfully positive about Star Citizen. If that's not enough for them, I think they may be genuinely suffering from mental illness.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Erenthal posted:

And it's such a meaningless number. Any old gently caress can simply create empty space and top that. Hell, Elite is bound to have orders of magnitudes more "space" to explore, right? It's about what content you can fill the space with, and CIG's pipelines are so far nothing but clogged drinking straws.

One day I will make a parody game and I will advertise it with nonsense numbers like "You can explore 10 billion nanometers! A quadrillion picogram worth of upgrades for your character! 100000 Kilo-Levels to achieve!"

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Scruffpuff posted:

Actually I finished all the content last week.

The ice caps are still melting, so clearly you didn't finish the Earth: Climate Change expansion pack. :colbert:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Tippis posted:

The licensing move to LY is boring, so I choose to further harp on the 100 sextillion “kilometres”…

Assuming that it's actually insanely incompetently labelled km³, let's compare that number to some other space games.

EVE systems will happily have a radius of 100 AU (1.496×10¹⁰ km), for a volume of 1.402×10³¹ km³.
There are 7,500 systems in the game, for a total game volume of 1.052×10³⁵ km³, or 105 decillion cubic kilometres — four "illions" (i.e. 12 orders of magnitude) more than the pitiful state of SC.

E:D has the Milky Way. It contains 400 billion star systems. Each system will effectively let you fly until Microsoft forces a reboot due to system updates, but let's cap it at 400,000 Ls each (1.199×10¹¹ km) because when you arrive in a binary system with that distance between the stars, you say “gently caress it, that's too far” and jump out… unless you're going to Proxima Centauri. That would put the radius at 5.995×10¹⁰ km, and volume at 9.025×10³² km³ each, and the total game volume at 3.61×10⁴⁴ km³, or 361 tredecillion cubic kilometres — three illions more than EVE and seven more than SC (so 21 orders of magnitude more).

And just yesterday in E:D, I travelled from one star in a binary system to another, crossing 490k light seconds. So I overkilled SC's "available" space even more.

By the way, it took me 7 minutes in supercruise. :v:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Mu77ley posted:

Hutton Orbital is 0.22Ly (6,784,404 ls) from the primary star in Alpha Centauri. That's a good 45 minute trek in supercruise.

Or longer if you let your ship sail past it

To be honest, if I were in the bubble and if you could get a Hutton Mug vanity item for placement in my cockpit, I would be tempted to make the journey. But as long as "Hutton Mugs" are just a rare item to sell for money, that's one time-wasting treck I won't do.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
That CIG stole a goddamn nebula from EVE is incredible. It's so brazen that when I first recognized that one, I thought to myself "That can't be real, did CIG and CCP just use the same picture of a real nebula?", but then I remembered that everything in EVE is basically made up, New Eden has nothing to do with our own galaxy. So yeah, they really did steal a nebula from EVE Online.

Also gently caress, I've played EVE Online for long enough I immediately recognized it. Took my brain less then a second to start firing neurons. :suicide:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Klyith posted:

I was on that poo poo real early dawg.

And it still confuses me to this day, I'm still playing NMS occasionally and have fun with it. I look at Star Citizen and there's no fun, not even a sign this shitshow could ever make fun.

Libluini fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jan 29, 2017

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Tippis posted:

Not at the moment. There are a handful of (mostly historical) ships that have been lurking in the background, and haven't been implemented yet, but they're all large enough to have the extra space already.

And really, it's only the very smallest ships that don't already have some obvious extra crew slots, and even those are large enough to allow for the illusion that, say, a gunner would be hiding somewhere inside the ship. Not that you'd even want to mount turrets on a ship that small…

What are you talking about? Mounting a medium turret on an Adder would be hilarious. You and your buddy in your personal tiny space tank. :3:

Chunjee posted:

Is Elite adding any new ships to compliment this change in crew size? I know some ships had a couple extra chairs already so I wasn't sure.

I doubt citizens will be phased much however.

Years ago we got a sneak peak at art of the Panther Clipper, a huge monster of a ship. Multicrew would be the perfect time to finally add it in, but with Frontier's information blackout, we'll probably only know for sure after the beta starts end of February. (Frontier is like Anti-Star Citizen in that regard, instead of endless spewing out promises, they never tell you anything until release is almost there.)

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

They're appealing, though. This will probably go on for a couple more years. Also, Oculus was found innocent of stealing trade secrets from ZeniMax. The other side wanted up to 6 billion $. Looks like some greedy assholes trying to get a nice payout. And since Oculus is appealing, they still won't be seeing the money for years to come.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

DapperDon posted:

I just do not understand how they equate Derek's game to making them right about Star Citizen or how it justifies their hate sub or how it makes Crobberts such a technical genious. Help me understand this friends.

Easy:

They.
Are.
Very.
Very.
Stupid.

That's the reason and now you too can understand idiots!

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

The Titanic posted:

The fidelity of my office transcends timelines.

Ugh, that hurts to look at. I'd only ever have something like this in my house if I could install real retro-rockets into those things, so if someone pulls that emergency lever, they're getting slammed into the ceiling at light speed.

Saint Drogo posted:

Its a setting for crazy miniature games, all the novels dilute it to tell overly serious stories that don't capture much of its appeal

and are mostly complete poo poo. :v:

Except for Caiaphas Cain's novels. He is basically Hero of the Imperium, but against his will. He brings back the silliness this dour universe was solely missing.

Just for god's sake don't read all the novels in one sitting. (Because they're all styled in the same pattern and reading them back-to-back makes this really obvious.)

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

"If no-one complains, it isn't theft." I see, someone took the old German saying "Wo kein Kläger, da kein Richter" to it's illogical extreme.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Tippis posted:

I'm going to archer my post from FDev forums to put “his” inventing the genre into perspective…

I was terminally bored, decided to take that quote very literally, and went out to see what kind of space sims were available before WC came out. :D

1980s(ish) first-person space games:

Star Raiders (1979) — Atari 2600/5600/8-bit, Atari ST
Cyber Strike (1980) – Apple II
Cylon Attack (1982) – BBC Micro, ZX Spectrum
Star Trek: Strategic Ops (1982) — Apple II, Arcade, Atari 2600/5200/8-bit, ColecoVision, C64, VIC-20
Star Voyager (1982) — Atari 2600
3D Starstrike (1984) — Amstrad, ZX Spectrum
Skyfox (1984) — Amiga, Amstrad, Apple II, Atari ST, C64, Mac, PC-88, ZX Spectrum
Star Trader (1984) — C64, ZX Spectrum
Star Luster (1985) — Arcade, NES
Tau Ceti (1985) — Amstrad, Atari ST, C64, Dos, ZX Spectrum
Total Eclipse (1985) — Dragon 32/64
Space School Simulator (1986) — Amiga, Amstrad, Atari ST, DOS, ZX Spectrum
Starglider (1986) — Amiga, Amstrad, Apple II, Atari ST, C64, DOS, Mac, ZX Spectrum
Starstrike II (1986) — Amstrad, ZX Spectrum
Star Raiders II (1986) — Amstrad, Atari 8-bit, C64, ZX Spectrum
Rubicon Alliance (1987) — Amstrad, C64, ZX Spectrum
Skyfox II (1987) — Amiga, Atari ST, C64, DOS
Star Voyageer (1987) — NES
Starglider II (1988) — Amiga, Atari ST, DOS, Mac, PC-98, ZX Spectrum
Space Rogue (1989) — Amiga, Apple II, Atari ST, C64, DOS, Mac, PC-98
Lightspeed (1990) — DOS

1980s(ish) non-FP space sims:

Invasion Orion (1979) — Apple II, Atari, PET/CBM, Trash-80
Project: Space Station (1985) — Apple II, C64, DOS
Starflight (1986) — Amiga, Atari ST, C64, DOS, Genesis, Mac
Starflight 2 (1989) — Amiga, DOS, Mac

…oh, and there was some weirdo obscure vector-graphics space game from 1984 too, but it probably isn’t worth mentioning.

All those space games and no Universe? What a shame, Omnitrends' weird first try at space sims from 1983 deserves to be on your list.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Tippis posted:

Mainly because when I looked through the list, there were no screen shots of demonstrating any kind of easily identifiable first-person view. :D

It's kind of funny how long it took in video games before they were able to do that perspective properly.

When playing Universe you basically interact with your ship's computer. You could argue everything you see is first person. If you want to see the outside, you have to awkwardly type in commands to make your computer lock onto something, scan it and then present you with info (and a very slowly rendering picture). Spaceships in Universe don't come with windows. :v:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Roflan posted:

'Sunk cost fallacy' can apply to virtually all human endeavors. For example, have you ever kept playing a game you hated or weren't having fun with because you were near the end or a major mile-stone?

This made me stop and think back over all the video games I've played over the years. And I realized no, not really. Even Imperium: The Bane of My Existence, for the Atari ST, a game which made me feel physical revulsion at the thought of playing it again, has a certain evil charm to it. Otherwise I would have stopped playing it after a couple minutes, not after many hours of showing it off to others like a video game freak show.

Generally though, if I hate someting, I avoid it like the plague.

Edit:

:stonk: Oh gently caress, I just realized why I still have this thread bookmarked: At this point, Star Citizen is as vile and freaky as that other game to me. I've somehow roped myself into watching yet another video game freak show! I'm not really sure what that says about my taste.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Remastered homeworld uses the control system from homeworld 2 and is therefore a crap game.

While the control system of the remastered homeworld isn't optimal, it's still a good and fun game. Your opinion, however, is the Star Citizen of opinions.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Why make do with a really good game when the original, also good game and a shitload of free mods are available and equally good?

Well, since you ask so nicely, because looking at the remastered graphics is nice. Besides, I have the original and Homeworld: Cataclysm and played both of them to death. Cataclysm so much I went through a lot of trouble to make it run on my modern machine plus I added some weird hacks I found online to let it run in a higher resolution than it originally did.

If someone would remake Cataclysm with better graphics, I'd take it in an instant, though. No reason to go with a frankensteinian monster-version of the original game if an easier, better looking version is available, after all.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

I love dumb derails and can't stop posting

Sure, OK

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Star Citizen is basically EVE if you strip out everything but walking through stations and give people the ability to load Dust and Valkyrie from the start menu.

This is a good comparison because walking through stations was never finished, too. :v:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

cool new Polack jokes posted:

I'm ready to go full angry cat at this poo poo

I have less of a science background than Chris Roberts since I'm not a thumb with the mind of wide-eyed 8-year-old but

YOU NEED TWO PROTONS TO DO THAT YOU loving HUMPS

JEEEEEZUS

It's not completely wrong, the LHC succeeded in smashing protons apart, so you could build a "fission" reactor to break hydrogen atoms apart. Of course what you get would be less of a power plant and more of a power sink. A machine which uses up tons of energy to create tons of strange and useless radiation sounds like it would be a perfect CIG-product, though. :v:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Nobody visits your forum Derek, just post your feelings here sans quotes already.

:lol: I didn't even knew he had a forum.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Awesome! posted:

ok, but why?

Because recoil in space means you will start traveling into the opposite direction you are shooting, so weapons with minimal/zero recoil are better.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

boviscopophobic posted:

An update on the leaderboard stats for the previous week... Overall average player counts have remained fairly steady:

Star Marine: 24.4
Arena Commander: 25.8
Racing: 3.4

A total of 84,315 distinct users have played one or more of these game modes in the current season, i.e. since the 2.6.3 patch somewhere around April 1.

73,292 users have played a total of 349849 matches of Star Marine. 85% of these users have played between 1 and 5 matches. 34398 of those (47% of the total) were one and done. The highest total time logged by a single player is 343.4 hours.

32,257 users have played a total of 308576 games of Arena Commander. 73% of these users have played between 1 and 5 matches. 12262 of those (38% of the total) were one and done. The highest total time logged by a single player is 261.7 hours.

15,715 users have played a total of 203345 races. 61% of these users have played between 1 and 5 races. 5078 of those (32% of the total) were one and done. The highest total time logged by a single player is 87.5 hours.

The highest individual playtime in all modes combined is 350.2 hours.

So most players come in, visit the freak show, and leave again? Seems plausible. And of course on the other hand we have people who play too much for their own good. But what the hell are they doing for so long? Considering what Arena Commander and Star Marine have to offer, this is like sitting in front of your aquarium for weeks, just watching fish swim back and forth. Just less soothing, because of all the bugs and glitches.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Fargin Icehole posted:

No, no, NO. NO.

I am not falling for this again, I lost 50 bucks to X:rebirth, I'm not losing another 50 to this.

As long as I can change ships instead of being restricted to dumb drones or whatever Rebirth was about, I'll buy it.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Oh, Mr. Smart. :allears:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Wiz posted:

Like, seriously, one of the things that we have really learned at Paradox these last few years is just how many people are willing to learn how to play complex games if you just try to make them at least a little bit accessible. The whole division of games into 'casual' and 'hardcore' is largely nonsense - sure there are people who will only ever play the spergiest of WW2 sims and people who will only ever play candy crush, but there's a huge audience for deep, complex games that don't require the player to spend their first few hours locked in mortal combat with the user interface. Playing a game is supposed to be entertaining, or at least engrossing, not a test of endurance to prove your skill at overcoming bad UI design.

The best example of this is Aurora: A space 4x which can basically do anything you would ever want, but it is at the same time so obnoxiously obtuse playing it is like torturing yourself. I've already bounced off that game three times, every time capitulating before I ever found out how to even start a game.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

VictorianQueerLit posted:

Sticking to Spectrum for awhile

Yeah, British computers are awesome! Though personally, I prefer the Amstrad-line of homecomputers. The Spectrums are a bit weak.

Edit:

Also woah, I think that's like a month since I last caught up to the thread.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

AutismVaccine posted:

Some reddit thread
"We are going to be part of gaming history"

:ironicat:

Oh, they will! Not in a way the will like, though.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Sillybones posted:

What is a 'coon-asses'? That only means super racist things to me.

I think he is saying that he and his family are raccoons. I've seen them, I would believe them smart enough to operate computers.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Dogeh posted:

Original Elite came first.

Then let's say Omnitrend's* Universe did it first, it released a couple years before Elite. (Yes, this means Elite is just copying Universe. :v: )

*Do not confuse with Core Design's Universe, a completely different game releasing 11 years after Omnitrend's game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

History Comes Inside! posted:

Has anyone who wasn't out actually climbing something had a reason to have a loving caribiner on their person ever at any point in the history of mankind?

I did! Back in 2004, when I was a lowly conscript in the German Bundeswehr, we used those things to attach our ABC-equipment to our harness-thing (dunno how its called in English, it was some kind of thing you wear above your uniform, and had lots of greebles and stuff to attach equipment on it). To make sure we understood why it was important we didn't get those little gizmos immediately, and one day lugging that loving ABC-bag around with basic straps was enough for us to grab those things like they were mana from the gods.