Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

fishmech posted:

You're making the mistaken assumption that getting those buildings "cut up" and re-occupied in any sort of quick timescale is a sure thing. I wouldn't count on that, when a lot of those locations are in shopping centers that are already dying or dead outside of the Sears store.
It's not uncommon for some of these mall-ish strips to be redeveloped as luxury mixed-use developments. RentLEASE at the historic LeSears, a resort-like experience where you can live and work and laugh in the heart of [area]. Dog walk, high speed internet, barista bar, outdoor theatre, and a private game room make your life at home as fun as it is functional. Need something to get the day started? Walk downstairs to our ColdPressed juice bar, pamper yourself at the nail spa, or grab a cup of coffee at the coffee bar.

The Sears Tower in downtown/east Los Angeles was recently turned into condos, for example. And a giant Ikea in Burbank is being converted into a Small Home Community (conveniently across from a mall). There's a shuttered Montgomery Ward in the San Fernando Valley being turned into condos, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Pretty sure that was Target, but it could be just about any chain.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

There actually aren't new malls at this point, there has been no malls built in the US in the last 11 years.
They managed to repurpose the On Life Support 7th and Figueroa mall in Downtown Los Angeles into something pretty hip and fun.

It involved gutting the food court and bringing in "Name" vendors, changing it to a "food hall" (means you pay more for the name and you get to drink), and adding in a Target, a hip Workout center, and other high end chains.

They're in the process of doing the same to the Beverly Center (best known perhaps for being the mall from the 1980 horror movie, CHOPPING MALL).

The traditional mall got its poo poo pushed in hard in Los Angeles by Caruso's THE GROVE and its partner in Glendale, THE AMERICANA. The Glendale Galleria survives, though its got some healthy realtor churn (and i'm sure the proximity to Americana helps). Everything else is in varying states of depression or slow death.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jun 12, 2017

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Bird in a Blender posted:

Yea, Dunkin' Donuts whole appeals is being a cheaper, quicker, coffee place than Starbucks. As long as they don't screw up those two things, they should be good.
They absolutely gently caress both parts up all the time. I can rarely get in and out of a Dunkin Donuts without some assbrain spending 10 minutes deciding which donuts they want in their goddamn half-dozen. And their iced coffee is an abomination -- they drop packets of granulated sugar into it and dont mix

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

LogisticEarth posted:

Is there anything to actually back this up?
The rise of event music festivals?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Bird in a Blender posted:

I think it was supposed to be 20 somethings dressing like their parents did in the mid-90s, but gently caress if I really know for sure.
It was supposed to piggyback on the whole Thrift Store aesthetic coming back to that not-quite grunge look from the 90s.

You want performative ironic nostalgia? Check out these jeans that look like something GUESS/Kelly Kapowski would wear! Why bother hunting through a dime store bin when you can get them at our shop.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Artisanal Ice Cream is my favorite, because it usually means heavy cream and a bunch of weird-rear end flavor pairs, like Meyer Lemon-Lilac, Rhubard-Boysenberry, Salted Caramel Peanut Butter or Gluten-Free Churro Pumpkin Spice.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Jesus.

Keep this bookmarked for the inevitable 2035 thread "Whoops, Roving Water Gangs shot my wife and burned my house down. How do I recover all the :airquote: equity :airquote: from the ashes?"

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Polygynous posted:

reminds me I never read more than the first page of that thread about a moron remodeling his bathroom
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3813464&pagenumber=62&perpage=40

It gets so, so much better, because destroying his I-beams and compromising the structural integrity of his bathroom is predicated on :biotruths: and poo poo about female bathroom needs. It's like opening a new present every 5 or so pages...

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

boner confessor posted:

this is also why the zombie apocalypse was (is?) so popular, it very unsubtly reinforces that you are a special person and not one of the mindless horde
That, and you can use your supply of tactilol gear to basically set yourself up as a warlord to rape/pillage/terrorize people freely.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Magius1337est posted:

so barnes and noble is going the way of gamestop now? With digital distribution/amazon killing sales it seems they've also gone into selling funko pops and board games and stuff. While being able to play board games with a starbucks in the same building would be nice I don't know why people wouldn't just buy the specialty items online.
The B&Ns by my home have been selling Funkos+Board Games+Collectable Nerd poo poo for a few years now. They have a decent FigArts standup with old faves like DBZ and Sailor Moons and Marvel/DC .

They're almost nice enough to be impulse buys. Not quite cheap enough, tho.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

zombie stories are a lot of things because it's a super generic concept that has been applied a lot of times by a lot of people :shrug:
Walking Dead is pretty much the modern standard bearer, and that gets troublesome as all gently caress because it's not designed as a self-contained story with a clear ending.

So even if it's a treatise on the social contract or man's inherent barbarism, it loses whatever it had going for it when you're 150 issues/14 years in and you're meeting the xth really bad wasteland overlord who keeps his minions in line with violence, sadism, and a liberal application of facebiters.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Does Claire's do that unhygenic ear piercing thing with the gun that's rarely sanitized?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Halloween Jack posted:

I never really even understood the practice of being a mallrat, because you needed gas money to drive 45 minutes to loiter.
Not everyone lived in the burbs?

It was like a buck 35 and 20 minutes on the bus to get to my local mall of choice.
Not that I loitered there much. Mostly it was browsing at Brentano's and a soda and a movie with the girl I was going steady with. *doo-wop music plays*

///
Oh yeah, this is totally the face of a guy that won't steal your hair and snuggle with it at night...

https://www.hottopic.com/product/the-nightmare-before-christmas-jack-skellington-face-embroidered-watchman-beanie/11064388.html

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Mar 19, 2018

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

FCKGW posted:

I’m gonna say Frys because I have no idea how they’re still in business, they’re all dead now.
They're the NewEgg showroom store and the "I don't want a loving Monster Cable from BestBuy" store. They should be doing OK with niche nerd poo poo and the random tech stuff they carry, like home surveillance cameras, appliances, TVs and whatnot.

They're what RadioShack was for Electronics, but for tech, and as of they they haven't gutted their tech stuff.

Though it would explain all the recent emphasis on "PRICES THE INTERNET CANT BEAT" and the blue tags in store that are only that price if you have this week's super secret email saver code.

It's kind of cute how they don't just give you a FrysCard, and still want you to do work to get the deals.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

whydirt posted:

What’s the difference between electronics and tech?
Albeit a personal distinction, but I always felt that it went like this--

Electronics: I need 10 white LEDs, a soldering iron, some capacitors and throw in two of those Y-Cable adapters for my headphones.

Tech: I need a new TV, some RAM, 10000 feet of Cat7, and throw in one of those 18 camera HD nightvision WIFI home security systems.

eyebeem posted:

The entire Fry's shopping experience is straight out of 2002, including their website.
They finally came around to realizing that people would like to see the specials online instead of on the back of the Sports page in the LA times.

But man, looking at their layout is like discovering a perfect time capsule of old design.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Mar 21, 2018

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I can't even really imagine what a physical PC game section could really be in 2018.
It would look like a rotating rack full of Gift Cards, except the cards would be 8.1x11 (so you can get a nice poster) and inside would be a nice credit-card sized plastic COMMEMORATIVE SUPER RARE COLLECTIBLE card with a tear-away strip to reveal the code you can use to redeem/download it from STEAM.

///I remember getting some Half-Life megapack from Best Buy and inside the hueg box were 4-5 CDs in lame paper protectors with a Serial Key sticker slapped to the back of each.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Is everyone forgetting the fact that business owners probably wouldn't drop a telephone line for the things (must less a dedicated Ethernet line)?

Or the fact that they would probably have to take bills instead of credit cards because that wasn't as widespread back then either?

I'm picturing 90sBox as being like the old Cigarette vending machines where a little picture of New Movie was under a big red button and there would be a slot under that the movie popped out of.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Hungry posted:

I'd lived in the USA for over a year before I realised the city I'm in is not just one city administratively, but 4-5 tiny 'cities' clustered around one actual city
I feel like the LA metro area and San Diego are the same. Maybe the NY Borough system or something like that needs to be present in more cities.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

OneEightHundred posted:

Apparently the NYT ran an article on baby formula recently:

gently caress, i expected some Nestle water poo poo about corrupt CEOs and got a Mafia story. Wow.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Kerning Chameleon posted:

I have to make ISOs as well as mp4s for the home movie digitization project I'm in the middle of because most of the older family members (the ones who would most care about this) only have DVD players and maaaaaybe smart TVs.
If you can find a copy of Adobe Master Collection CS5 or 6 you can use Encore to make the DVDs yourself!
:v:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Vivendi owning Universal was a particular :wtf: for me.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

BarbarianElephant posted:

Playing sport *is* better than watching sports. I don't really like either, but at least actually playing sports gets your blood pumping.
Ok, sure, I can go golfing with some buddies or hit a pickup game for fun. Amazing stuff.
Then I can go watch some guys hit impossible drives and make impossible plays because that's also enjoyable.

Similarly, I can go online and punch people in Street Fighter, and I can watch some guy run through a few characters and do poo poo I don't have the time/skill to learn to do.

Why is this hard to grasp?

//It's also worth noting that there's a lot of streamer "styles" out on twitch. So you can get spastic Pewds guys, Kaceytron tittystreamers/personalities, overreacting Markipliers, and dudes that just show off technical skills or walk through games.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Jul 9, 2018

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

anonumos posted:

Someone here argued that TRU was pretty profitable but their entire profit every year went to servicing the acquisition debt. Very sad.
Babies R Us helped float them a few extra years down the line.

The loss of both sucks, since Giant Toy store is still a cool thing to waltz through (and I'm sad I'll never get to see my kids freak out at all the toys), and BRU was super handy once you hit the late 20s and your friends start babying up.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Mister Facetious posted:

My first (and until June, my only) AC was a Kenmore, and lasted me fourteen years before I required something more portable.
Gonna be another scorcher!
:(

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
California has STRS and PERS and guess why the state GOP is always painting UNIONS as evil money grubbers-- both funds are well endowed and have good returns and they're popping oozing boners at the thought of being able to raid that to "improve efficiency/reduce waste/give more back to The Children"

LA is also fairly unique in that a teacher who retired and served the last 10 years in the district got their health care covered for life. That's gone for the new hires, obvs.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

there wolf posted:

So I think I'm going to miss Sears when it's gone. Washer broke, was able to get a replacement part the same day by just running to the Sears outlet.
Their appliance service (was) one of the bright spots of a store that increasingly looked like a dead Pick 'n Save.

I got a Washer/Dryer for Black Friday and foolishly didn't know the installers need New Everything to hook it up. Grabbed the hoses I needed and called up their service line -- guys were installing everything a day later, at no cost.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Piracy is also extremely common with anime because it's traditionally impossible to get outside of Japan unless you pay hefty import fees or get very lucky, hence why there's now services like Crunchyroll and Animelab trying to be a profitable alternative to piracy.
And wasn't Crunchy like basically a pirate youtube of anime that went legit ?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

fishmech posted:

Yes. They started with only a small amount of legit licenses plus hundreds of shows in the "well we won't get sued" grey area.
Ah, I didn't know they actually had licenses. I just remember looking at the site going "why am I going to pay for pirate streams???"

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Well I see you worked 97 hours this week. Great! Reminder: as a contract employee you're a not eligible for benefits or overtime!!

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Oooooooh, sorry sport but it looks like you fell under your MoTiVate metrics your 5th hour last week. We're gonna dock 3 hours and place you on an improvement plan to make sure you're upholding the standards that Global Worker Solutions expects from its Workplace Social Entities. Enjoy your 15 minute lunch while you fill out this 10 minute improvement survey!

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Makes sense. Gotta get those New Years decorations in so you can switch the theme immediately after presents are opened.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

eXXon posted:

Every electronics purchase I've considered making off Amazon in the last few months has had the option of "professional" installation, albeit usually for more than the price of the item itself.
Amazon is trying this weird integrated service thing where not only can you get people to install your Ring Doorbell and hook up your 85" OLED screen, but also pay people to clean your house.

I'm not really sure if they contract with Taskrabbit or wat but it's an interesting try.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Kids, afaik, use the Caps Lock as a shift key.

That means hitting Caps, typing one key, hitting Caps again... I literally just said "Hold the shift key that's what it's there for!" And they were like "oh but this way is better" :bernchloe:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

FCKGW posted:

Oh man, the Fry's Thanksgiving Day ad is out and it's bad. It's real bad.

No computers at all
No monitors
No video cards
No Motherboards
No CPUS
One external hard drive
No networking stuff
A few TVs
No appliances
No video games or consoles

They are 100% dead
Dude, you didn't even post the worst poo poo. I was browsing before bed last night and realized that I wasn't in some Amazon Warehouse page in a sleepy haze. Fry's was actually advertising poo poo like bungee tie-downs and storage totes as Black Friday deals!

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Mister Facetious posted:

So, is (was?) Fry's a competitor to Best Buy? I'd say so from the sheer square footage, but from the sound of it they were always more computer focused, like Newegg?
They were just your big-box electronics and supply store. Kind of like the selection of Best Buy and Circuit City, with the enthusiast weirdness of old Radio Shack.

They used to have pretty competitive prices on things and a great selection. Their ads were always pretty simple and the stores had personality.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

i am harry posted:

That's what it was in the states for all of the 80s and 90s; every military ad until 2001 was about getting college training and touring the planet.
I'm thinking of that Futurama episode where War Was Declared.

A buddy of mine from HS kind of got roped into signing up for the Navy (maybe the best thing to happen to him, in the long run), and we were all like "Yo sucks but hey 4 years of travelling and you'll be out right? Just hop Bush doesn't start any dumb wars right?"

We graduated June of 2001. :woop:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

DrNutt posted:

Please explain when this has happened to anyone. Every game I 'own' digitally on just about any platform I have free access to redownload and replay at any time.
The Marvel fighters were gone for a bit recently, and iirc Ducktales Remastered was taken off of the console stores because the licensing expired.

Plus all the cases of eBooks being withdrawn from Apple or Amazin stores...

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
That's also been a point of interest and debate for people interested in digital preservation. Like WoW. Do you archive the Vanilla release? The release with Day Zero patch? The major expansions? Everything?

And, even, how do you account for things that get stealth updates or rebalances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

duz posted:

Yes, there have been cracks since it came out. In fact you can still pirate just about all the games being discussed here, that's not what was being discussed.
The irony is that crackers/warez folks actually do more to help preservation than the actual entities empowered to hold the license for said games. So at a certain point you're better off stripping the DRM because Oops it's removed from the market/DRM servers were nuked, etc.