Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

Meydey posted:

I lived in Black Diamond for 5 years in the 80's. It is nothing more than a speed trap populated by old people. And a bakery.

So, most small towns in Oregon and Washington.

The real question is... Did they elect Trump and do you have maps/graphs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

stubblyhead posted:

They appear to have voted Trump, 124 votes to 99. King County's election data website is realyl clunky so I'm not sure that's a full tally.

Can you make this into a clumsy map?

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

I'm nervous for tomorrow as I have some 70yo+ friends attending and I don't think they are expecting anything other than a peaceful march.

I know a few people who are bringing their kids tomorrow. I hope the main group stays reasonably under control for their sake.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

We'll never be free of measures 5 & 50 either. Thanks Oregon voters in the nineties.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

anthonypants posted:

One a month ago:

What else can PPB do when confronted by a granola grandma standing in the street? Sometimes (all times) you just gotta use overwhelming force.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Wheeler has his faults but that was a pretty reasonable and understanding response to a member of the public running up to his high profile elected official rear end.

Yeah, considering how wild these can sessions get, I understand being a bit on edge by a dude getting within arm's reach and pulling something out of his pocket.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

anthonypants posted:

And then the landlords sued, and then the city moved the case to federal court, and the federal court said it had nothing to do with federal law and moved it back down to a local court. This is good! This is what she said she'd do. It's nice. We'll see if it the court holds it up. There's also a no-cause eviction ban bill which passed the state House last week and which might also lift a ban on rent control, but I don't think Chloe Eudaly has a lot to do with that.

As for the negative things she's done, she's a big fan of that anti-protest ordinance because those uppity poors just wouldn't shut up for five seconds in the city council meetings about cops murdering black kids. Which, if you think about it, maybe isn't that great. That, plus the recent discovery of the truth behind her story, seems to indicate to me that maybe she's not as left as we'd all like her to be. And you don't have to be very far to the left to hate landlords.

As for the neutral things she's done, she's kicked out the bureau directors for the Office of Neighborhood Involvement and Development Services. We'll see how those play out.

Some folks I know who are associated with the county are thrilled she canned the ONI director. Apparently, things were a poo poo show within that department. Same for the dude from Development Services. His department has a decade+ long history of being inefficient, impossible to work with and hostile toward women.

That stuff about her personal story is disappointing as hell, but other than that dumb mistake + double down I think she's doing pretty well.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

coyo7e posted:

If your go-to response is "grammar-check that bitch right quick, without checking to see if it's actually properly used," you probably ought to go back to lurking instead of posting

Worst advice in this thread IMO

Never stop posting.

:justpost:

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Cactrot posted:

Nobody cares about pronouncing oreygone.

of all the horrible things on this page, this comment has me the most #triggered

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Cicero posted:

This is an incredibly wrong, wrong statement. Bike infrastructure is INCREDIBLY cheap compared to car or good transit infrastructure, like at least an order of magnitude cheaper. For the cost of a single new rail line you could coat all of Seattle or Portland with protected bike lanes on every arterial, new bike paths, bike parking all over the place, probably bike escalators, etc. and still have money to burn. Supporting biking gives a city extremely good bang for the buck. Now obviously there are downsides to biking as well (more vulnerable to bad weather, not useful for long-distance commutes, not everyone can bike), but it's still a no-brainer because of its upsides and how cheap it is.

I used to work at Google in Mountain View, which has mostly standard American bad bike infrastructure with a few good multi-use trails in the area. Because Google goes all-out with supporting biking themselves with showers and bike parking at work, for those that live within 9 miles of the office, 21% bike to work. Granted, the bay area has great weather for biking and the south bay is largely flat, but that's still with mostly lovely infrastructure!

I think this kind of employer support is necessary, and needs to be more widespread, in order to see an uptick in the number of folks commuter biking. I only work ~6 miles from home, but I don't bike because the route is hilly enough that I'll be gross and sweaty by the time I get to work. If I had a spot to clean up, I'd be 100% on the bike train. Dodging 40 minutes of traffic for a bit of exercise sounds amazing.

That's not to say I'm opposed to growing Portland's bike infrastructure, but there are barriers that more public infrastructure just can't overcome.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Cicero posted:

Not sure why you're confused, an electric assist bike is still tremendously cheaper than a car, both to purchase and operate (heck, it's probably cheaper than a transit pass in the long run), and not everyone has significant hills involved in their commute. And said bikes are still steadily going down in price as electrified cars/bikes/skateboards/unicycles become more widespread.

Like, Schwack said he wanted to get out of traffic, which means he probably already drives a car, and if he does, spending $1000 on a bike is probably not out of his budget if it can become his primary commute method.

I've looked into them, but the cost drives me away. I'm sure over the course of a year or so, it would end up paying for itself in terms of deferred vehicle maintenance/fuel/etc, but it's harder to justify the lump outlay. Especially when I'm riding a hand me down bike that cost me nothing.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Merkley looks like a dad who's gonna burn the hell out of your steak.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

BrandorKP posted:

Wow that's fantastically lovely.

Soooo, standard operating procedure for PPB then?

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

therobit posted:

So Portland Public Schools is closing the Pioneer School for high needs special ed kids so they have a place to put the Access Academy Talented and Gifted program. This is after they tried to clos a poor, black neighborhood school to put Access Academy there, but got too much pushback from the community. Seems like they can't take a hint.

Originally, the plan was to move the Access Academy kids into a bunch of conventional middle schools. Another stunningly stupid idea. All the teachers at my school were stunned they would even consider it.

PPS is such a mess.

BrandorKP posted:

Difference makes one a target.

Having experienced all the various types of programs, cohort is by far the best solution (and it is best at a dedicated school).

This is why everyone in our building hated the idea. The kids from Access were going to get eaten alive at my school. Their quality of instruction was going to drop, and their quality of life was going to crater.

Moving Pioneer is going to like double (triple?) the number of paraeducators we're required to have. Unfortunately, nobody will take those jobs at my school so you end up with kids going absolutely bananas and punching teachers.

It is very cool.

Schwack fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Dec 11, 2017

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

seiferguy posted:

Naw man this is straight up Democratic party nonsense.

Based on following DSA Twitter, this is exactly why I have no interest in participating in the organization.

I dont know if I want some Maoist nerd lecturing me about rules of order and debate or some poo poo.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

BrandorKP posted:

I'm familiar with rolling coal.

I called the police department and reported it anyway. Someone harassing a crowd largely made up of women and childern is unhinged and might do something stupid. They told me they had officers at the protest. I think it's the same assholes (in a different truck) that drove through town harassing people after the inauguration.

A Venn diagram of "People Dumb Enough to Modify Their Trucks to Shoot Smoke at Libtards" and "People Who Become Cops" probably has a lot of overlap.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

silicone thrills posted:

It feels like this would be a great opportunity for journalists to start unionizing.

You want to have to pay more for your news just so some union fatcats can get rich???????????????????

It's been awhile since I was directly exposed to much anti-union propaganda but that fits the vibe I can remember.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

anthonypants posted:

It was mentioned at some impromptu press conference the city held to discuss the ordinance they're going to write, which is what the bulk of that article's about. Maybe what you're missing is that Portland cops are nazis, just like the proud boys?

They're actually just World War 2 enthusiasts. That's why they collect so much Nazi memorabilia.

Wasn't that what that one Nazi cop said? #believecops

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Shifty Nipples posted:

I got the alert in Gladstone OR.

I got two alerts in Portland. Nothing better than waking up, twice, to an emergency alert for the next state over while trying to drug yourself through the end of a terrible cold.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Kaal posted:

22 cents is nothing and the logging and trucking industries are already heavily subsidized in a wide variety of ways despite forming a small part of the economy. It would be irresponsible to continue ignoring the oncoming economic catastrophe - estimated to cost Oregon more than $40 billion by 2100 - simply because it's mildly inconvenient for the 6,000 loggers in Oregon. Oregon's legal marijuana industry is practically brand-new and already is about the same size, why are we only talking about such a tiny sliver of Oregonians when everyone is impacted by climate change?

Because they are honkin their dang horns in front of the capitol building.

I think most people who believe in climate change are on board with, "Cap and trade sucks but its better than the literally nothing we're currently doing."

Industry is going to change, hopefully globally (lol), in order to exist in a carbon-conscious world. Suck it up, dummies.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Scionic posted:

Good summary of ICE incident.

https://youtu.be/KNQR6kAHSdI

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

this hosed up my youtube recommended and now im a right wing terrorist

thanks for nothing

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Ubiquitous_ posted:

I wonder if antifa will crack the code to make cement settle with sugar so we can really have some cement milkshakes thrown at him.

Just throw dried cement blocks at him. Violence owns.

So does Pokemon Go.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

When I did signature verification in Benton County, that was definitely not the case. If you couldn't be found/verified as a registered voter you simply weren't counted and those names were flagged for petitioners to follow up on if they chose.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

logger posted:

Another hitch in getting coronavirus to stop is the fact that people still feel it's fine to have large gatherings. Last week the city I live in was in the news because someone that attended a house party of around 40-70 people turned out to be corona positive.

Multiple neighbors hosted large parties for the 4th. Feel like things are gonna get real weird in about two weeks.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

It's weird how much the red parts of Oregon hate Kate Brown. Her reponse to COVID has been tepid at best, but lots of folks hate her with a fiery passion. Oregon hasn't gone nearly far enough. So far, it seems like we've escaped the worst case scenarios through sheer luck.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

The Voice of Labor posted:

they hated her long before covid

Which, again, is weird as hell. I've never managed to get a solid answer WHY. These people blame everything from homelessness to wildfires on her. Shits crazy.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Anybody who isn't insane or doing the, "we're all gonna get it/gonna die one day," poo poo knows another lockdown should've been put in place already.

My feeling has been that Brown has aspirations beyond Oregon and doesn't wanna be the governor who "ruined" Oregon's economy. It's tough for me to see her having success at the national level, but it's the most reasonable explanation I can come up with for the delay. Once one western state does it, it seems like an easier sell to the rest of the region and I'm assuming Inslee and Newsom have national aspirations too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

COVID is under age so it can't get into bars. Smart move by big brained politicians to simply card the virus and turn it away at the door.

Why even loving bother? You're like three steps removed from, "Open Everything, survival of the fittest, idiots." Kate Brown has dropped the ball every time she's had to make a hard decision around COVID. I guess you can afford to limp dick policy when your opposition is filled with raving lunatics who want to gently caress an obese septuagenarian.