Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Starving Wolf posted:

I like how these idiots truly believe a complex robotic system that can take orders, prepare ingredients, cook and serve food with any degree of reliability is somehow cheaper than paying a teenager who doesn't yet have enough self worth to know how they should be treated as a human being 15 bucks an hour.
You'll be paying way more just maintaining the robots every day.

I worked as a shift manager in a cookie factory for five years, because my life is great like that. Sometimes people would take a tour of the factory, and the one comment I'd hear all the time when I'd show them a certain aspect of the process was "Oh wow, I thought machines did that bit!". We had a bunch of high tech machines, but there were certain things that only a human could do reliably. When one of the machine broke down, the entire production came to a halt until it was fixed. Even with advanced robotics that a cooperation like a global fast food joint can invest in, the expense alone just isn't worth it. Even at 15 an hour, humans are cheaper, and incredibly expendable.
It won't be that way for long, I'm sure. We are on the precipice of an age where robots are cheap and ubiquitous and human labour is made obsolete - but when we get to that point, it won't be because "the minimum wage is too high", It'll be because even for pennies an hour humans just won't be worth it.
Waddya know, I worked 5 years as a shift manager at a (more upscale) fast food joint! When I think about the guest who had trouble with the concept of loyalty cards and chip-insert credit cards... We had a promotion where you'd get a free meal on your loyalty card if you used our mobile app. Have you tried to explain the concept of "apps" to someone over 45, especially if they only use their cell phone as a, well, phone? But yeah, sure, ordering kiosks are the way of the future and you won't need a single actual cashier. Just ask Wal-Mart how the self-checking roll out is going for them!

The ordering kiosks are happening anyway even if we keep minimum wage at $7.25 too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

I haven't been in a situation where I need to hand write...Jesus, since I wrote a condolence letter to my grandmother after my Pawpaw passed away in 2001. And before that, probably since middle school.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

Zesty posted:

I usually skip posting the non-political Dan Lietha drivel. But gently caress him.

Romans 8:22 posted:

22 We know that the whole creation has been groaning as in the pains of childbirth right up to the present time.

Genesis 2:15-17 posted:

15 The Lord God took the man and put him in the Garden of Eden to work it and take care of it. 16 And the Lord God commanded the man, “You are free to eat from any tree in the garden; 17 but you must not eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, for when you eat from it you will certainly die.”

Genesis 3:1-24 posted:

3 Now the serpent was more crafty than any of the wild animals the Lord God had made. He said to the woman, “Did God really say, ‘You must not eat from any tree in the garden’?”

2 The woman said to the serpent, “We may eat fruit from the trees in the garden, 3 but God did say, ‘You must not eat fruit from the tree that is in the middle of the garden, and you must not touch it, or you will die.’”

4 “You will not certainly die,” the serpent said to the woman. 5 “For God knows that when you eat from it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil.”
YADDA YADDA YADDA YOU PROBABLY LEARNED THE STORY IN BIBLE SCHOOL
21 The Lord God made garments of skin for Adam and his wife and clothed them. 22 And the Lord God said, “The man has now become like one of us, knowing good and evil. He must not be allowed to reach out his hand and take also from the tree of life and eat, and live forever.” 23 So the Lord God banished him from the Garden of Eden to work the ground from which he had been taken. 24 After he drove the man out, he placed on the east side[e] of the Garden of Eden cherubim and a flaming sword flashing back and forth to guard the way to the tree of life.

Some times when I see messages quoting a dozen verses of the Bible, I like to actually look them up and see what the hell is being quoted as so meaningful. The message here is rather... muddled. Obviously, Romans 8:22 is being taken painfully out of context -

Romans:18-30 posted:

18 I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us. 19 For the creation waits in eager expectation for the children of God to be revealed. 20 For the creation was subjected to frustration, not by its own choice, but by the will of the one who subjected it, in hope 21 that[h] the creation itself will be liberated from its bondage to decay and brought into the freedom and glory of the children of God.

22 We know that the whole creation has been groaning as in the pains of childbirth right up to the present time. 23 Not only so, but we ourselves, who have the firstfruits of the Spirit, groan inwardly as we wait eagerly for our adoption to sonship, the redemption of our bodies. 24 For in this hope we were saved. But hope that is seen is no hope at all. Who hopes for what they already have? 25 But if we hope for what we do not yet have, we wait for it patiently.

26 In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us through wordless groans. 27 And he who searches our hearts knows the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for God’s people in accordance with the will of God.

28 And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who[i] have been called according to his purpose. 29 For those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brothers and sisters. 30 And those he predestined, he also called; those he called, he also justified; those he justified, he also glorified.
Which is even further undercut throughout the rest of Romans 8, which is basically "Yeah it's basically impossible to be Righteous enough to deserve everlasting paradise but thankfully God is being lenient, just got to believe."

But even worse, the implication seems to be that a Loving God is justified in sending Harvey/Irma/Jose upon us because of original sin. Which uh, well... let me quote good ol' Job here:

Job 9:14-35 posted:

14 “How then can I dispute with him?
How can I find words to argue with him?
15 Though I were innocent, I could not answer him;
I could only plead with my Judge for mercy.
16 Even if I summoned him and he responded,
I do not believe he would give me a hearing.
17 He would crush me with a storm
and multiply my wounds for no reason.
18 He would not let me catch my breath
but would overwhelm me with misery.
19 If it is a matter of strength, he is mighty!
And if it is a matter of justice, who can challenge him[b]?
20 Even if I were innocent, my mouth would condemn me;
if I were blameless, it would pronounce me guilty.
21 “Although I am blameless,
I have no concern for myself;
I despise my own life.
22 It is all the same; that is why I say,
‘He destroys both the blameless and the wicked.’
23 When a scourge brings sudden death,
he mocks the despair of the innocent.
24 When a land falls into the hands of the wicked,
he blindfolds its judges.
If it is not he, then who is it?
25 “My days are swifter than a runner;
they fly away without a glimpse of joy.
26 They skim past like boats of papyrus,
like eagles swooping down on their prey.
27 If I say, ‘I will forget my complaint,
I will change my expression, and smile,’
28 I still dread all my sufferings,
for I know you will not hold me innocent.
29 Since I am already found guilty,
why should I struggle in vain?
30 Even if I washed myself with soap
and my hands with cleansing powder,
31 you would plunge me into a slime pit
so that even my clothes would detest me.
32 “He is not a mere mortal like me that I might answer him,
that we might confront each other in court.
33 If only there were someone to mediate between us,
someone to bring us together,
34 someone to remove God’s rod from me,
so that his terror would frighten me no more.
35 Then I would speak up without fear of him,
but as it now stands with me, I cannot.

TL:DR: FUUUUUUCK YOUUUUUUU DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

Samurai Sanders posted:

I hope the Dems hired ex Republican staffers who can think like them and anticipate this time's version of the death panels or whatever before they happen.
"Government take over of Medicare! You'll never get to see the doctor because Those People will clog up the waiting room!"

Where's my check

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

Both these things have happened like once and are seen as watershed moments in SK because they historically haven't happened.

This is like looking at Obama getting elected and going "America is willing up look past race to let everyone be part of their democracy. Why can't WE do that, here in Canada."

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

The point of the comic is saying "How do we pay for it?" While building another aircraft carrier while the Navy is so understaffed that they're running into cargo ships is stupid.

You're like a Twitter progressive's straw man come to life after they erased Kasia Babis' name.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

Ularg posted:

Is there even a shred of evidence that this is the case? And would it even count if like 0.1% of viewers cried and "Boycotted" (not watch sports channels until the next game they care about)?
NFL watching is down, but mostly because every ~3 months or so there's new evidence that <CURRENT OR FORMER FOOTBALL PLAYER WHO COMMITTED CRIME> had behavioral issues due to CTE, and/or debilitating injuries across the league have reduced the level of skill, and/or new penalties designed to make the game safer have simply highlighted how futile it is while making penalties seem capricious and random.

If you're okay with a blood sport, the reduced skill and ability on display reduces your interest. If you're okay with not seeing "good football" and just want your team to win, getting hamstrung by a bad tackle penalty makes the game win/loss seem random.

But, sure, maybe somebody stopped watching because black players were quietly kneeling last year. But from anecdotal evidence, we used to have a weekly game watching session that struggled last year, and fell apart this year. Now, it could be because we're all getting older and more busy, but that never stopped us before. A couple of us have kids that are getting old enough for peewee football, and so far no one has signed them up. Watching someone stagger off the field and stay off due to "migraines" puts a damper on the mood. Fantasy draft started out fun, but now it feels like a thankless job. I still watch the games, but I record them and watch them later during the week, and usually I know how they're going to end, so I skip the blow outs.

More and more, it feels like watching a boxing PPV, and not even for a good fight.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

If Monty didn't know where the car was, should you switch?

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What if Monty didn't have to reveal a goat and offer the chance to switch, and is a jerk. You made your choice, and Monty reveals a goat. Should you switch?

What if instead of a goat, four people would die, and instead of a car only one person would die, but this wasn't revealed until you made your first choice. Would switching make you a murderer?

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

I don't feel like reading back 400000000000 pages so I'll ask here: why is this in the political cartoons thread?

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

MechaCrash posted:

Scrooge McDuck is rich as hell, but he also has some class and a moral compass. He wouldn't be caught dead near Donald Trump. :colbert:
Don Rosa whitewashes Scrooge's history to turn what is unmistakably the villain of the story into some moral upstanding character.

He had to play off Scrooge getting cursed by a witch doctor for decimating an African village as some sort of unique failure, instead of the sort of poo poo Scrooge would clearly do all the loving time.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

I'm mad, mad about cartoon ducks.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

I think it's a little fair to be annoyed that the politicians who, ten years ago, were saying that gay rights was a losing wedge issue and tried to push it back into the closet suddenly turn around and act like they were always 100% supportive and just waiting for the "more convenient season". If you were someone who advocated for gay rights in the late 90s and early 2000s, it feels a little disingenuous for the politicians to decide the season is now right after you spent 15 years pushing back against both them and conservatives to force the issue out into the public sphere.

It would be like if after LBJ signed the Civil Rights Act he turned to MLKjr and said "See, I told you I was always on your side!". They were a best indifferent and at worst hostile to all the selfish trouble those activist were causing, but those activist are the petty ones for holding a grudge apparently.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Actually that cartoon is more like MLKjr saying "We know you only voted for this because it was convenient, scum." and then holding a petty and counterproductive grudge.

As far as I can tell you are in favor of getting politicians who might be convinced to support your cause voted out in favor of ones who are ardently against your cause because you see purity of ideals as more important than actually accomplishing your goals, this tells me that your real goal is ideological purity instead of whatever you falsely claim to be your cause. The fact that you want to attack people who did not support your cause until it became viable for them to do so, the people who joined in for the final push to see the goal actually achieved only reinforces the fact that this was all about ideological purity and not about the goal you were pretending to pursue.
Or... it's like the analogy I gave, where civil rights movements in the 70s through today are skeptical of white liberalism, and gay rights movements of the late 2000s through today are skeptical of straight liberalism, because those same politicians in the 60s/90s are serving today and tried to sacrifice those rights on the altar of political expediency. Yes, ideological purity is a concern for minority movements that feel they are at risk of being co-opted and marginalized. I... feel like you might be somewhat unaware of MLKjr's relationship to white liberalism after 1964, or Al Sharpton's after 1968.

You also might want to think about why you're assuming I'm some sort of radical queer activist who hates all breeders based on me empathizing with a Bors cartoon, but you do you.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

The 72 is weirding me out. It's not divisible by 7, so it's not a default "football score" number, and I can't remember any famous blowout games with a score of 72-0. 10 touchdowns and a safety? 9 touchdowns where trump went for the extra point? Does 89 have special significance? 98? Or is it 7 touchdowns, extra point, and Trump gets a safety each time, with the last safety just being scored? But that can't be it, trump has the ball. Or maybe he's in the midst of his drive after the last safety and is pausing his run to mock Goodell. But why does Goodell look like that?

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

Why is trump playing for the bills why is Goodell playing for the raiders why is stadium empty why why why wHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

Dr. VooDoo posted:

It's literally nothing. A deal went through the state department of some Russian company buying some Canadian company that owns by proxy some of our Uranium mines. Thats it. Even if it was some secret deal it makes no sense. It's not like Russia doesn't already have uranium and stock piled nukes nor is it like now the US can't make their own nukes nor is it like we just sent over cargo ships of yellow cake. They still have to mine it and cart it out of the country. Any step behind HILLARY WAS AROUND WHEN THING HAPPENED it falls apart even more then your typical conspiracy bullshit put out by the right wing
I thought the American owned mine was in Kazakhstan and it was the Canadian CEO that gave the money to the Clinton foundation.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

I miss the good old days when hot takes and arguments in bad faith at least had ugly pictures and caricatures with them.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

I'm... really having trouble reading that cartoon as anything but AGC about how the media was complicit in the Iraq war, circa 2013 when everyone admitted it was a mistake. Like, what?

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

Hihohe posted:

if you say so.
You see a huge comic about a medieval knight and his Moorish friend learning rock & roll in Mongolia and you're questioning the hangover comic?

Edit: not that I'm questioning the Prince Val comic, gowb, you do you. Someone (not me) should post the Icelandic democracy storyline.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

Mr. Squishy posted:

"This guy keeps saying Democrats have paranoid delusions, he's probably a false-flag"
Being aware of agendas or skeptical of motives behind political content online is no vice, especially in this day and age.

That said, viewing women's rights as an ineffective distraction from full communism now is exactly the sort of opinion a black bloc would have, so he's probably authentic.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

That's such a bizarrely original and visually effective take for Gorrell that I wonder if it's an accident, and he got confused while trying to draw them normal.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

It also acknowledges the differentials in expectations in education, so it's probably trying to come from a good place, but I personally don't feel like it's justified. But I also feel like it's worthwhile overall, so :shrug:

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

Crazycryodude posted:

Is that Pence toon supposed to be ironic? Please loving tell me it's supposed to be ironic.
Yeah, that cartoonist is an extremely gay... rights activist who IIRC was raised as fundamentalist Christian. They're suppose to be taking the piss out of people who still think lesbian school teachers are going to recruit your daughter in a coven, but tend to get tripped up by Poe's Law here in the Gaybies thread.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

""Not All Men!" - A Young Woman" - A Decrepit Old Man and his lazy-rear end Protege

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

Talking to someone whose on the phone is rude. Carmen is being a dumb jerk. SOME GIZMO.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

Panty Saluter posted:

Good, maybe they'll finally euthanize them
You hope Disney is going to kill an intellectual property?

Look forward to a Simpson movie every two years, my dude.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

Jesus loving Christ what is wrong with this guy?

Okay, to give a little context, "Replacement Theology" Christianity is the belief that Jesus Christ fulfilled and superseded the original covenant with Moses, also known as Supersessionism. It's a super popular view of Christianity at the layman level ("I'm allowed to eat shrimp because all those old rules don't apply, the only rule is that you must believe Jesus is your savior") but is... complicated in a more in-depth theological view because it kinda, sorta implies that all Jews are defying the word of God.

This became even more of an issue after the Holocaust, so most denominations started rolling back Replacement Theology as an official tenant, kind of. The Roman Catholics, for example, moved away from 'hard' Supersessionism to 'soft' supersessionism as part of Vatican II - Jesus is a new, improved expansion of the covenant but not a complete replacement. Christianity is implied to be superior to Judaism, but not innately incompatible. Like everything with Vatican II, there are hardliners who consider this heretical. Most Protestant churches either don't acknowledge it, or have walked it back as well... again, except for the hardliners who think Jews are heretics and tend to be explicitly antisemitic.

So, long story short, this loving rear end in a top hat is tying 1.) Christians who support the Palestinians and 2.) Jews who support human rights to 3.) Antisemitism and the loving HOLOCAUST. What the gently caress is wrong with this guy??

Tibalt fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Dec 20, 2017

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Border security? Did they pass something while I wasn't paying attention? Is there a report about illegal crossings being down? I can at least see where the others came from but the only border-related thing I've heard of lately was the start of the wall prototyping which, you know, doesn't actually do anything yet.
Beyond restricting legal immigration on the basis of something that looks suspiciously like eugenics, haha nope.

What, you thought he was actually going to build a wall? It's like the one thing they can't do unilaterally.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

It's going to ruin the individual market, but most of the rest of the ACA will be fine. It's just... Well, we don't need to guess how it goes when the only to get health insurance is through your job or through Medicaid. We did it in the 90s, and it sucked.

At least the Medicaid expansion still exists (for the states that took it).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

Hmm... I could spend the last 13 minutes of 2017 writing a 2,000 word rebuttal of Jillstien, or I could have another Old Fashioned.

Decision, decision.

• Locked thread