Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Obviously, they save that for the credits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
The innuendo is the point.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

FreudianSlippers posted:

Exactly. In a post-American Pie world where all sex comedies have tits galore and everybody openly swears like a sailor being coy and beating around the bush with innuendo is pointless.

Not necessarily. Being coy and beating around the bush can have an attractiveness different from being open and upfront.

Innuendo is not pointless--the innuendo is the point.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Tars Tarkas posted:

An unnecessary sequel I'm glad they made: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uTbSudJ96o

Having never seen the original film, the impression I get from this is that those helmets are VR, and that the aliens and the attacking human are fake and the bored woman is upset her boyfriend is so hardcore about this alien FPS.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Is that as a neg? I suspect it is.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I wasn't interested in Monster Trucks at all, but drat if that wasn't an effective poster.

Just look at that grin on the squid!

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Rirse posted:

Does it lead up to the Wacky Races?

I'm disappointed in myself for wanting this so badly.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Each episode of Thundarr takes place in a different part of post apocalyptic America. If you watch the show in episode order and pay attention to geographical and architectural tells, you can actually track his path on a map.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Movies I've seen in Mr. G's eighth grade English class:

Lost Boys
Evil Dead 2
Army of Darkness
That Shakespeare Movie With Swords as Guns

I don't know why, but thank you, Mr. G.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Femur posted:

yeah but how do you separate that from any other dream? you can easily assume you haven't woken up yet?

If you haven't experienced sleep paralysis it can be difficult to describe, but it is quite distinct from dreaming.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Femur posted:

i have a bad memory overall, i can't remember most of my childhood like at all. And I can't remember or be sure of any dream I've ever had, but reading the description when yall were discussing this, I felt that I've had that happened, and thought" this is a thing separate from dreams? "

Like how scary is it over just falling, or dying? wouldn't the residues of this be paralysis? I can't say these situations led to the paralysis cause I don't remember. the dark is scary, eerie, I can believe people made stories about creatures of the dark.

But I don't know, paralysis seems like a normal feeling that dreams can cause like any other, how can you tell you are awake and not dreaming? and believe this is the sensation that needs explanation?

Sleep paralysis is not a dream where you can't move you're body. It's a state of, if not full awareness, at least a much greater level of awareness then you have during most dreams. You may be able to see and hear as if you were awake. More over, while you typically forget dreams after waking, I've generally found it much easier to recall the few occasions that I've had sleep paralysis.

When you have a dream where you're falling or dying, you generally wake up afterwards (or otherwise drift off into a different dream). If you have sleep paralysis, you might just be stuck on the bed for ten or fifteen minutes, or a couple hours, until your body decides it's convenient to change consciousness.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Femur posted:

I guess the problem for me was that I assume my experience is everyones. like I don't dream like you at all. I don't even believe I dream at all. I just wake up and the day goes on. sometimes I think I experience something, than wake up worried/scared, until it clears and relax that it wasn't real. I assume this is just dreaming. So like if i eeriely can't move, a great pressure coming over me, then suddenly I can, well, to me, the before was a dream.

I can't assume this is the same process for everyone.

I don't think it's so much that it isn't the same process for everyone, so much as you're just describing a dream, and sleep paralysis isn't that.

As far as I'm aware, I've only experienced it three times in my life (and there was a 20+ year gap between the first two). I don't think it's a common thing at all, it's just memorable if it does happen.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
That's so weird. I cannot remember the last time I've seen a place that's sold caramel popcorn.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
A Ghola's Purpose

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

That's true, TV stations were using it until the late 90s at least.

Until late 2000's, when the FCC mandated the switch to digital.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

The MSJ posted:

One of the funniest thing about the first John Wick was dog lovers hating it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGpZ9xaQLYQ

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
About eighty-eight hundred kilometers.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

FreudianSlippers posted:

Are you telling me that Americans do not instantly recognize this dude:

I recognize him as a mascot for the Disney afternoon cartoon block in the early nineties.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Beachcomber posted:

It doesn't say sponsored, as such. I thought maybe the advertising people started this whole channel months ago leading up to this.

Nah, the Hydraulic Press Channel has been around for a few years. They're pretty well established in the "let's use heavy industrial equipment to smash poo poo" youtube crowd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuG_CeEZV6w

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Young Freud posted:

JP is essentially Westworld except with robot cowboys, knights, and Romans, it's dinosaurs. For all of his technothriller bonafides, Crichton was a pseudo-scientific Luddite.

And the HBO "Westworld" is a further extension, like Jurassic World, where there's some more interesting stories to be had if the park is initially successful.

The HBO Westworld takes a lot of it's ideas from the sequel film Futureworld, as well.

Futureworld is also an example of a Jurassic Park-type film where everything works as intended.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Guy Mann posted:

Crichton reused the plot of Westworld so much that even Timeline was about a company trying to build a theme park and everything going wrong, only this time the gimmick was that they were using time travel to build a theme park in actual medieval times.

Does Leslie Nielsen play the company CEO?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

feedmyleg posted:

The orcs just look like bald dudes with facial burn scars.

If there ever were a time to bring back orcs with snouts

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

MacheteZombie posted:

We do kind of have Pres Jones

"Donald, you're fired!"

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Mischalaniouse posted:

It kinda reminds me of how Konami farms out Silent Hill to whichever studio is cheapest and treats its high profile "auteurs" like Kojima like poo poo because the execs literally believe that the talent who creates the game doesn't matter.

I think I had a much better understanding of Konami (and Capcom and some other game companies) once I learned that it's by and large a gambling machine company that just produces video games on the side.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Pope Corky the IX posted:

About half of King's output since the accident have been about troubled writers getting run over by assholes in vans.

Misery was written eleven years earlier, so it's not like it's a new thing.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

PJOmega posted:

It's difficult to discuss white washing because each individual example can be explained or justified. The issue is when looked at as a whole you can see that there is a glut of roles that could have been played by an actor of non-european decent but mysteriously they aren't.

I like ScarJo. I think she did very well in Lucy, which feels like it shares parallels with GitS. I understand simultaneously that taking a Japanese franchise and casting a white actor is a problematic trend.

These two angles exist in parallel. It is difficult for a movement that is mostly communicated in blogs to separate individual examples from a greater trend. This is exacerbated because each blog that does comment on it tries to me more outraged than the last for sweet sweet page count.

The problem I have with this issue is that all roles are "roles that could have been played by an actor of non-european decent." The movement doesn't seem to be pushing for more minority roles in big budget films so much as it seems to be pushing for minority roles in very specific films.

The movement takes it as a given that certain roles are meant for whites and certain roles are meant for asians/blacks and that the problem is that white actors are moving in on minority parts. Which is to say, if white actors would just be kind enough not to encroach, then there wouldn't be any need to address the fact that white actors and white parts tremendously outnumber and outpay minority actors and parts.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
The Case for Casper

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Regardless of all else, Jurassic World 2 will build a terrific house.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

"Every time you lose, you damage yourself."

The fact that the businesscar is referring to McQueen's brand instead of his person has actually gotten me somewhat interested in this film.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Shageletic posted:

lol this is straight up Rocky 3, the impossible to beat car is even black.

"For the black car to come out superior would be against America's teachings. I have been so great in racing they had to create an image like McQueen, a red image on the screen, to counteract my image in the track."

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Apr 28, 2017

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Rahonavis posted:

The one where a vocal atheist lady turns out to be a giant demon snake?

It's the book where the protagonists are only ever in danger because the female lead's sense of self-preservation causes her to not follow Aslan's commands fully enough.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Apr 30, 2017

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Red Bones posted:

Is there a greater theme/idea that ties the whole Dark Tower series together? Because whenever anyone is discussing it, it sounds all over the place. And for such a weird story the trailer seems really... generic, I guess? It gives me the same vibes as something like The Last Witch Hunter, where it looks like some fairly rote fantasy/genre fiction ideas without much visual flair or distinctiveness tying it all together. Child, Narnia portal, some goblins, a cool man, a bad man, and a vaguely post-apocalyptic world. And you guys are talking about living trains and lobster men! That trailer could have used a lobster man.

The major unifying theme (at least in the books) is one of decay, of things being worn down and falling apart.

The narrative reason that all these disparate elements (robot trains, lobster men, goblins, arthurian knights, cowboys, etc) are mixing together is that the boundaries that would have separated them are collapsing. The eponymous tower is (in some worlds, literally) a support beam that keeps each world from collapsing in on itself, and it's weakening.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I thought one of the most annoying things King's done over the last fifteen years is introduce writers that may or may not be named Stephen King that get hit by a loving van.

It's interesting that his drug and alcohol addiction yielded some of his best work, while getting hit by a loving van turned into "...and then the main character, who is a writer, gets hit by a loving van"

To be fair, Misery came out before he was hit by the loving van.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
The dog cop movie just reminded me of a question.

Why was the movie called "A Dog's Purpose" and not "A Dog's Duty?"

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
They had this great pun and they just left it lying on the floor.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Grendels Dad posted:

Tag yourselves, I'm Three-Legged Predator.

I read "3 legs, four legs, tentacles" as "3 legs, four legs, testicles," so I want to be the three-testicled predator.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Is the margin of success for a movie a gross that is double the cost of production and marketing combined? Like a 100 mil picture with 50 mil marketing should break even at 300 mil? This doesn't count the Net because the Net does not exist.

There are a hundred other factors that can factor into that, so it's hard to say for certain. In particular, merchandising. A film that breaks even can still be a success if it pushed enough t-shirts and action figures.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

*daintily floats down from the sky and folds up her unbrella*

"Miss me, motherfucker?"

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
what if Maverick ejects from his Tomcat and spikes a quadcopter on the way down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Imagine paging through Frankenstein's guestbook.

• Locked thread