Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
-Blade
Trump
Doctor
Sex
Cake
View Results

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

This is awesome. As if there is any other side to Republicans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Astrochicken posted:

That's kind of foreboding and I wonder what's going to happen to these guys and their politically allegiances after Trump.

The hope is they'll be disenchanted with Republicans, especially depending on how Trump leaves office. In the best possible outcome he's impeached but doesn't go quietly and starts Trump TV railing about how the Republican party turned on him etc..

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

I was assaulted and got no justice therefore no justice for anyone!

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

ikanreed posted:

Look, every time a republican screws over their own voters at LEAST 3 or 4 of them actually catch on.

Which is funny since they do it non-stop

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Astrochicken posted:

What happens to this trade war if Trump is not impeached nor does he resign but instead becomes Immortal Perpetual Monarch of Mankind?

He'll do unbelievable damage to the US economy, driving down GDP growth for years to come with his simplistic and ignorant view of macro-economics.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Shear Modulus posted:

the idea of hiring americans or other employees they cant ruthlessly exploit of course does not even cross their minds

Americans aren't interested in many of the labor-intensive agricultural jobs. To hire them they would have to attract them by paying more, which means they would have to charge more and then their produce wouldn't be competitive, because everyone relies on nigh-slave labor.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

red19fire posted:

Is there any way to get ICE to target Nunes' and the other farmers' dairies, but not the workers? That would be ideal.

You could certainly have different orders from the executive branch, ICE operates under the purview of the president. Ultimately though if they actually cracked down on the people running farms for hiring undocumented workers they'd quit hiring undocumented workers at some point, there's really no way to get around the current system that doesn't hurt the undocumented workers.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Knight posted:

Trump warned them about space, dude. It's big.

ISn't that why we need a space force, to protect us from the space lasers?

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

It certainly doesn't make up for the vile things being done to POC and immigrants, but it is pretty satisfying whenever one of these texas hicks says "I didn't think the leopards would eat my face".

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Relin posted:

i was listening to npr the other day and it amazed me how all the coal miners who had black lung would not stop saying it was a great job. even setting aside the fact that the disease shortened their lifespans, its backbreaking, injury prone, dirty labor. what is wrong with their brains

You really have two choices - deal with the reality you were exploited and used up so someone could be rich and your life was basically wasted, or else make up a fairy tale version where you're a hard-working man who did what he had to.

People lacking the ability to be truthful with themselves about their lives is one of the biggest problems in the world, it leads to ceaseless suffering.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Kitfox88 posted:

tbf that makes it even cooler because it's a rulebreaking loner who gets the job done

via comptrolling.

Literally the opposite of what a comptroller does.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Do conservative grifters like this really have friends? Deep down they know they are lying, and so they know the other people are lying too, and they're just using each other to get publicity and money, so it's really a kind of endless mutual grift. Not much of a basis for a friendship.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

World War Mammories posted:

I know he’s written in support of voluntary sterilization for people with severe disabilities, himself included. the guy is a shithead, but I don’t know if I would turn out better in the same situation.

Wait there's something wrong with voluntary sterilization? Like people with severe disabilities have to have children or something?

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

it's not as simple as "landlords raise rent by exact amount covered by ubi" but it's also difficult to imagine the economy won't shift towards pricing the ubi into all sorts of regular things, including rent. and y'know, im sure the payday lending industry is salivating at the idea of ubi.

that doesn't mean it can't be helpful but it's prob not going to be a magic bullet.

If you give everyone more money but the price level increases people still are better off because they effectively have more choices. Price levels are also somewhat sticky, so the argument they will just rise is basically bullshit. Seattle, for example, has a 15/hour minimum wages. Lots of people predicted prices would just rise on everything and obliterate the wage increase. They didn't.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Pipski posted:

I don't get why the people claiming wind turbines wreck the appearance of the countryside never previously had the same problem with electricity pylons or telegraph poles, which they seem to be fine with (even though those could theoretically go underground but wind turbines can't.)

Things that already exist and which create the power structure that exists are natural. Things that would upset that power structure are unnatural.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Kitfox88 posted:

IIRC the wobbly ones make really haunting wailing sounds in operation which is pretty cool imo

Pretty cool concept for a post-apocalyptic scene. The wailing plains or whatever where the wind turbines still spin ceaselessly even though no-one remembers what they were for.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Kitfox88 posted:

actually it’s proof that these brave job creators care so much for their country that they’ll shutter their business if that’s what it takes to kick out migrants keep the empire strong

Do you really think that? This kind of people tend to be exactly the idiots who vote for a law that fucks over their business, then immediately starts whining "government has hosed over my business!"

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Guess this is what I get for posting before I'm fully awake.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Crazypoops posted:

ABSOLUTELY make a payment plan with the IRS the interest is nothing compared to the Credit Card companies.

The IRS is actually fairly "friendly" as an Agency goes. They have a bad reputation, which is basically 100% formed by people who didn't pay their taxes complaining about them.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

lmao remember when he said that they also had the republican emails and that they weren't releasing them

lol eat poo poo julian

No, I don't remember that at all, do you have a source?

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

1redflag posted:

I mean it seems pretty clear to me that this is closing up loose ends, right? like, Assange will be tried in the most outrageous fashion, all court documents/filings will be sealed for national security purposes, he’ll get railroaded in a way that isn’t even very interesting to watch, and will shortly thereafter get murdered in prison by an inmate who “accidentally got out of his cell at the same time as assange during morning shower call”.

Yes, the Trump administration is hyper-competent. All the super incompetent stuff they do constantly day to day every day every minute every dumb tweet is just a cover. Now that there is a moment in Trumps nth degree chess play to deal with this troublesome leak he's taken and forced Assange not to shower or feed his cat or act like a basic human being, and that's why Ecuador is kicking him out of the embassy, so Trump can tie up loose ends.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Heartcatch posted:

That is some refreshing honesty there for once.

It's funny how the reporter like doesn't believe him. Like you're just admitting you're an ignorant bigot? Out loud? But....

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

tpink posted:

lol, get rekt, you racist old gently caress.

I don't know about this attitude. First he's honest about his beliefs, he doesn't hide behind mealymouthed platitudes and "im not racist but" poo poo. Second he is a racist but he puts economics first and doesn't come up with some bullshit argument about how brexit is good for brittain.

I mean honest racism you can say well that guy is a racist and it informs his views.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Tetrabor posted:

loving over truckers make perfect sense for the GOP: Sikhs are the new truckers of America. No reason for the right to support an industry their base has abandoned because of the lovely treatment from greedy red-blooded 'murican bosses.

Kind of a lovely article because nowhere in it does it say how many truckers there are, so you have no idea if the number of Sikhs entering trucking is actually significant.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

FMguru posted:

Or, y'know, germs developing antibiotic resistance?

God/Satan did it. That answers literally all criticism. God is testing us. Satan is trying to trick us.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Stoatbringer posted:

I think you need to look a little more closely.

I have to say one of my favorite things is when fundamentalists start trying to justify the Ark, or Jonah being inside a whale, as being literally true.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

HotCanadianChick posted:

Hi I have a 145 IQ, I’m also a high school dropout who works in a warehouse making only slightly better than minimum wage. IQ means nothing for your success or future prospects, HTH.

Then again, my wife has a degree and makes the same as I do, but with $25k in student loan debt, so you could also say a college education doesn’t really predict your future success either.

They're both actually statistically highly significant in determining wealth outcomes in life. That doesn't mean any one particular person's anecdotal experience will match up with statistical outcomes.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Epic High Five posted:

https://twitter.com/Snipper_13/status/1116301735478353920

lmfoa I hadn't thought to check in on if the Assange worshiping idiots were mad at Trump now for behaving exactly as he always has

Are there a lot of them? I thought that would be a vanishingly small percentage after the way he seemed to deliberately side with Putin/Trump

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Eat This Glob posted:

i had to cover the farm economy when it was sky high corn and soybean prices so land prices went through the roof. a lot of people sold high.obviously, a lot of people bought high, too. This was in 2012 or so. The 180 degree change has been interesting to watch now from outside of corn country

I know like 2 democratic farmers and one of em is a full time veterinarian and part time farmer lol. You dumbasses voted for this lmao

It's amazing to me how many specific constituencies are very conservative yet the Republicans consistently gently caress them over economically, and at the same time the Republicans are constantly hoorahing that constituency (farmers, coal miners, soldiers, there are others).

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

CodfishCartographer posted:

It kinda makes sense, in a weird way. Those constituencies are very traditional and have been around for a long, long time, and the republican party is all about tradition and returning to former “glory”. Republican politicians want to retain that support, so they target those demographics, but they also recognize that ACTUALLY supporting those constituencies often isn’t really economically viable in this day and age. So they just…don’t. They gently caress them over but spend all their time talking up how important those sections are and how much they care about them. So when you need to choose between “someone that says they’ll gently caress you over, and then fucks you over” and “someone who tells you you’re great, and then fucks you over” you’ll go with the latter because then at least you can get some positive reinforcement and live in some kind of denial dream world. (And also blame all the bad things on the opposing party)

But Democrats don't say they're going to gently caress them over, they say they're going to help them, and they will (with the exception of H. Clinton, which is it's own thing).

Like if you talk to people in the Army about who actually gives them pay raises, it's Democrats. But they insist Republican care more about the troops.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

ElGroucho posted:

Why doesn't this dumb bitch learn Spanish

White privilege.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Eat This Glob posted:

unfortunately the app has made me a decent Spanish reader and not particularly adept as a spanish communicator, though I'm sure if a native speaker spoke to me like I was 3 years old I could follow along ok

My experience has been uniform that in other countries Spanish speakers love that you are trying and do not care about your atrocious accent or terrible conjugation, or hacked together grammar.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Epic High Five posted:

I had a buddy go to Germany a few years back and he said he couldn't practice his German because so many Germans instead used him to practice their English

He can speak his German and they can speak their English. It's not that hard. Yes you don't get any experience listening and translating out of, but you still get experience translating into.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Kitfox88 posted:

my foreign language story is helping an old chinese lady figure out the bus schedule and route she wanted and showing her to the right stop in downtown kirkland at like 9pm at night one time via google translate ping pong on my phone. i was super racist and used japanese at first like the ignorant american dipshit i am but i did feel ashamed about it :patriot:

I'm not sure that trying to be genuinely helpful and making an honest mistake with no ill intention on your part is a reason to be ashamed. If you are trying to help someone and they don't speak a language you speak and you make a guess about what language they speak based on how they look and you're wrong, that hardly seems like "racism".

I mean if that truly is a "racism" then racism is hardly a useful term at all and means something so broad and common as to be worthless.

I was in Ecuador and saw a person who appeared caucasian to me, in an English language bookstore, and I spoke them in English before Spanish. They were actually a native Ecuadorean and spoke only Spanish. I feel no shame nor remorse and do not construe this as a "racism".

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Mr Interweb posted:

holy poo poo....nearly $12 billion in THREE MONTHS? :monocle:

that is definitely some good self-ownage

No, it's annualized. And we don't know if that is 10% or 50% or 1%. It's actually quite a poo poo of an article.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Blast of Confetti posted:

at one point i wanted to be a farmer because there was a time where you could get some boss rear end grants from the government and could basically automate almost everything and sit around all day jacking off but lol in 2016 every farmer decided to self own in the voting booth and now our argi is going to be crippled

Farming is one of those things where there's definitely money to be made in it, but most of the money to be made is being made by huge corporations. Individual farmers are basically just running out the clock, and most of them would be better off, economically speaking, selling the land and investing the proceeds. That being said there are still some supreme grifters making tons of money owning land on which they do not grow alfalfa.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

During Ride Across Wisconsin last year I found myself riding with Sven Nys (Belgian cyclocross world champion) and we were shooting the poo poo as we were riding along country roads surrounded by like a million sq acres of corn. He couldn't grasp why in the living gently caress we needed this much corn, and I sure as gently caress couldn't come up with an answer.

Dont we make gasoline out of it? So that we can continue a lifestyle of using inefficient single transport that enriches some companies?

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Eat This Glob posted:

oh, iowa state university estimates that trumps tariffs in Iowa alone have cost farmers around $2.2 billion. Farmers are 2% of the states workers. I dont feel like doing the math on that, but those trump supporters are indeed being owned

being owned to own the libs Trump 2020

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Grape posted:

One of the themes of Othello is some degree of racism my dude.
Like I'm not sure how one hears a line like "an old black ram is tupping your white ewe" said and thinks that the characters are totes cool with the Moor.

Because we desperately love Shakespeare and want to wish away the troublesome things about him, like the entire Taming of the Shrew?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Augus posted:

Racism is only inherent to human nature insofar that corrupt institutions will always seek a scapegoat for their corruption

Personally, I don't think that's true. In some ways, though it's kind of an untestable hypothesis. When in history have there been institutions that weren't corrupt?