Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Dieting Hippo posted:

hello fellow switchhavers. breath of the wild is goddamn gorgeous, and i have 1-2 switch downloading now so i can milk some cows soon.

Gimme some 1-2 opinions please!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
Hey guys heard the sky is falling and the Nintendo Switch will burn your house down and shoot your dog.

Has anyone bought fast Rmx yet? Is it good?

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,

KingSlime posted:

its the nintendo stockholm syndrome that I sometimes can't help instigating in posters around these parts (they make it too easy), truth is these people cant be reasoned with

Or maybe the two sides are

A) People who want to play a new video game console and don't really care

B) People who are tech-oriented and are (upset? giddy?) that a new popular piece of tech has flaws and problems.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,

KingSlime posted:

Actually it's more like you can like something and be aware of/acknowledge its flaws without getting triggered

I am still getting a Switch and I still love Nintendo. But uh people who are looking to spend 300 on a new toy should be encouraged to do their research and learn about the flaws of the system, even if it gets some people butthurt because "gosh who cares I am having fun so nenenene"

I agree with this.

KingSlime posted:

I enjoy Nintendo consoles but if you're well-versed with other manufacturers and consoles, their incompetence really shines at times

I don't know about this. Tech hardly ever "just works" in my experience, and in my years of spending too much money on lots of dumb things, I don't think I would look back and point to Nintendo as an egregiously inept outlier.

Some of their business decisions? Yeah okay I might stand with you there, but that's not what you're talking about, is it?

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,

Bill Barber posted:

No you have to play Zelda via the touchscreen while your joy cons charge (hope you bought an AC adapter cause the console doesn't come with one)

dont forget that the screen comes with this really weird plastic cover on it, you gotta rip it off before you play. I found a hammer and chisel works best

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,

Geight posted:

I can't find out how to make my Switch connect to my TV, everyone else says theirs just immediately connects when put in the dock, mine doesn't do anything and the Switch's screen stays on

This is dumb but my first time, I had the dock power cord "plugged" into the USB port instead of the power port.

Otherwise, yeah there's really only one way to put the switch in so it's not like you're likely to be doing it wrong.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
Has anyone tried using someone else's login on the switch to d/l and play their library? Is this possible?

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,

Healbot posted:

Switches are registered to an account, you have to walk that back first to use it on another Switch.

Ah okay makes sense. Though you can add other accounts to the switch too (tried it today by adding my account to my friends switch, though we had he same games library).

Also I was having wifi issues (I saw my network in the list, but it had zero strength... Meanwhile i also saw multiple neighbor networks I've never seen before. The switch would fail connecting to my network. Eventually I restarted the Switch a.bunch, undocked it, and then... It just worked. And my network strength went to two bars or so. Strange.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
Personally I still don't really understand how people are scratching the screen in the dock. Is the little protector thing in there too hard/coarse?

And I have only seen the one screenshot so far, and reports of minor scratches easily buffed.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
The port is on the bottom so it can dock, and so there is space on top for the fans. we had this discussion like three pages ago guys. The switch can charge in its two most used positions.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,

Inzombiac posted:

I confirm.
On dock it did not dip under 100%.

Zelda on mobile drains the battery really fast but I guess that's expected.

But it doesn't drain while charging on handheld right?

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,

Lemming posted:

I 100% don't understand this mindset. The only way I can parse this is "realistic = pretty, stylized = ugly"

I showed my friend BOTW the other day, and she said that it looked nice, but it was too "pixeley" for her and she thought the beautiful graphics of Twilight Princess on GameCube were much better.

There's no accounting for taste!!

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,

Bombadilillo posted:

Xbox kids with no money.

I can't believe that in the year 2017, tribal console warriors are still going strong on their insane hate of whichever brand they don't identify with. I've never had a console at launch before the Switch and it's really... strange to see reactions.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,

Mahoning posted:

Can you really not believe that or is it just like every other group of human beings that are loyal to something (smartphones, sports teams, actual sports, politics, music genre, music artist, etc.)? :rolleyes:

I was being a bit facetious, it's not surprising at all. Honestly, what's surprising to me is that Xbox is still around, and no other major player has stepped up in decades.

Kill all humans

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,

parallelodad posted:

Needing to charge while in tabletop mode is such an edge case though. How many non int'l flights or train rides are longer than three hours? Even in that case playing a game that long without taking a break seems unlikely. And even if you do intend to play that long, you can just hold the thing in the end. And finally, stand solutions to it with a passthrough are extremely cheap.

The funny thing is that Nintendo didn't have to include a kickstand at all. If they didn't, then they wouldn't be getting all this flak. How many other tablets come with a kickstand built in?

Drunk Tomato fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Mar 7, 2017

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,

FireMrshlBill posted:

I played using a single joycon today and it made me want to get these. Wasn't a big fan of using L3 for boost or trying to dig my fingers into the SR/SL buttons to lean into turns. But I did better than I expected, especially being out of practice in these fast race type of games/FZero clones.

Actually, screw it, just bought them since they will be more comfortable for Snipperclip action and are apparently easier to deal with than those straps.

I will definitely be getting those in the future

WanderingKid posted:

Does anyone else get a buzzing noise when they have headphones plugged in? Its the same charging from the 3 pin adapter, via the dock or on battery only and its driving me mad.

When volume is off or very low, right? This happens with lots of my devices.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
Hey guys remember the Ouya lol

Switch owns. It reminds me of my vita which also owned.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,

Spellman posted:

Was hanging out with some non-gamer friends and they've all seen the glitches/defects video so the issues are definitely going viral. Sucks, but the Switch is just too good for Nintendo, so I feel they'll address some of them at least

I mean, I'm optimistic, but mostly cause I like this console so much

Viral memes literally ruined the US election, we've passed the point where they need to even resemble the truth. Don't worry about sales, the switch will do just fine. People seriously downplay the mobile / multi-on-the-go aspects, and how much they will sell the system in person.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,

TheScott2K posted:

Money-having adults are going to be so impressed when they see other adults playing Snibberplips on their plastic phone thing they'll just have to have one.

Excuse me it's called sniphernips

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,

LLCoolJD posted:

Agreed. The Nintendo Switch's marketing is vastly superior to the Wii U's. This thing is all over the news, and people actually understand it. The device markets itself, too; people are going to see it out and about. I think it does well, maybe at the cost of cannibalizing the existing Nintendo portable business. I guess we'll find out.

Makes sense to me that Nintendo would want to move towards tablet gaming. It's seems easier for other devs- no second screen, or 3d, or really any required gimmicks at all. I doubt they will continue with two separate lines. 3ds is doomed.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,

LethalGeek posted:

No business is going to follow up a disaster by making millions upon millions of their next thing expecting that this time they blindly got it right, that's just bad practice. Sony sold an insane amount of PS3s so they could be more confident of selling through 5-10million units of the PS4 or however many they made.

edit: plus they could be double plus confident after seeing how bad Microsoft shot themselves in the foot.

edit; NEVER TRUST WIKIPEDIA

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
MK8 - So do you think they are going to limit tabletop mode to 2 players? Obviously 4 people on that screen would be hellish, but I'm hoping that there aren't any like hardware triggers when you switch playing modes, so that the experience can be the same anywhere.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,

FireMrshlBill posted:

These really help. They even have multiple colors now.

Do you have them? They do help a lot? They look pretty awesome

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,

Gaspy Conana posted:

I was nearly regretting buying 1-2 Switch but now my wife has really taken to the Baby game (she plays in TV mode like any good hardcore Baby gamer would and puts the Joy-Con in a baby doll shirt) and has a high score of 47 Seconds, all As. She owns.

Edit: Post your Baby high scores, thanks.

I got B's in gentleness and rhythm, but a D in laying down.

Also, how do you play Baby without cradling the switch??

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,

Mahoning posted:

Can confirm there are no spoilers on the CD. The track listings are literally like:

Kakariko Village (Day)
Kakariko Village (Night)
Riding (Day)
Riding (Night)
Kass' Theme

And on and on. Now that I've gotten pretty far in the game I realize there's a lot of cool stuff they left out. Probably for spoilery reasons.

As long as Sidon's theme is on it????

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,

Not a Children posted:

At least 38% of your life since release has been spent playing this game

I wish I could say I've spent more time zeldaing than working.

But I bet I only have like 20 hours in two weeks.

I am a failure

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,

Feenix posted:

Hey guys. I don't want to sound like a dick but I'm just going to ask honestly... please take no offense.

Is Fast RMX "good" good? Or is it "There's 3 games on my new console, and this isn't a total shitshow, so I'm satisfied" good?

I'm tempted to get it, especially because my 4 year old (who's pretty savvy) is not able to handle Zelda but I want him to be able to play something... and... yeah I guess I just want to know if it's solid-to-good and not "well, it's launch for a new console and this isn't a smoking wreck, so... yay!" :)

I haven't played it since I got Zelda.

It's fun if you WANNA GO FAST for a few minutes, but it's not phenomenal or anything special really. I'd say give it a pass. I doubt your kid would like it.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
Lol just lol if you use a grip. Let your hands be wild and free just like the great goddess designed, each gingerly cradling a young and supple Nintendo brand JoyCon.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,

bowmore posted:

because they are tiny and make my hands cramp

You're gripping them too tightly. Be more chilllll and loooose. They are light as a feather so you just need to hold them as if they are Ruffles potato chips.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I didn't realize LEGO City comes out at the start of next month. Gonna have to 100% it again :getin:

That game is basically Grand Theft Lego, right?

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,

mdemone posted:

Don't listen to these other people, I'll write you a check for $400 right the gently caress now. No fees, no eBay hassle.

Edit: DIBS GODDAMNIT FUCKERS YOU HEARD ME, DIBS

I bid 400... And ONE PENNY!

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,

KidDynamite posted:

I'm seriously considering buying another switch because my fiance and I are each being fucks about Zelda schedules.

My wife playing Zelda is the only thing keeping me from playing nonstop.

Also it's fun to watch each other play the same game with such different abilities, priorities, and goals!

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
Gyro depends on what position your con is in when the motors kick in, right? My problem is tht I play with the controller in weird positions sometimes and so I get messed up and have to use the joystick while i reorient my JoyCon to be facing straight ahead, THEN when gyro starts up it works super great.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
Is there a Prince Sidon amiibo yet

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,

Stux posted:

you can admit its dumb to launch a mp fps with 5 maps while still really liking the game, its ok, you dont have to defend absolutely everything about the things you like

Meanwhile CSGo has only one map, so yeah 5 is totally overkill

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Lol, that part is insanely easy, you only have to get around one guy.

Yeah I'm real bad at stealth but it was really easy. You just drop a banana and run around the first guy, climb up top on the rafters, drop one from above near the guy at the door, and voila.

Also I'd like to take a moment to mention that while the dock is hella lovely cheap plastic, I don't seethe with fury at it because while it is bad, it doesn't mysteriously scratch my device or impact my life or enjoyment in any way.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
Also seems to me that It'd be a lot easier to burn out on something playing it for 10-12 hours a day every day for over a week, as opposed to an hour or two every day or so for a month.

I see this with books too. When a new book comes out, often the super-fast bingers and skimmers who finish it that night are some of the harshest reviewers, while people who spread it out over more time are able to contextualize and see past any flaws in the writer's​ style.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
Quick poll - After being excluded from being a part of a game that probably would have been a highlight of his life, will a white supremacist YouTuber:

A) rethink some of his convictions and make an effort at being a better person

B) get really pissed, double down on the racism, and blame everything on SJWs / the PC media

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,

I Am Frick posted:

Been waiting to see something other than a gif of this, and it's obvious watching the video that this is edited. The Switch doesn't even have a trajectory to line up with the dock before it just magically darts ahead an inch and slides in.

Uh, yeah.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qG4ihWOEtpA&t=457s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Gyro aiming is not bad but will absolutely take some getting used to, probably mostly just the proper muscle memory-- Zelda seems to have spoiled me by not taking gyro into account until I hit a button to "begin using gyro aim using the current camera location as the baseline", so that was loving me up a bit

Also there was more than one situation where I'd be about to attack someone, hit Y to recenter gyro properly and my character would promptly spin 90+ degrees so either recentering is buggy or I didn't quite grok what it was supposed to be "keyed" to in my limited playtime

It'd be cool if they would let you do some offline practice by just literally giving you an empty arena but oh well, hopefully the real version has a demo with something like that so I can figure out if I can train myself enough to actually have proper fun with this

Hitting Y centers the camera behind your dude, I think.

I found that Zelda totally readied me up for the Gyros. I used the joystick to turn left and right, but the gyro to aim. The gyro also resets if you use the joystick (like in zelda), so I was killing squids left and right.

• Locked thread