Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
Hooked it up to my nice 4k OLED HDTV and the menus look surprisingly shittier than my regular old PS4, like they're purposefully using 720p assets (screenshots and icons and such) and upscaling them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

ChibiSoma posted:

So aside from Nintendo being incompetent as gently caress, is there a reason why the Switch keeps forgetting the wifi, won't let me sign in with my NID, and has absolutely no indicators to tell you when charging the stupid controllers is complete? Or why the left controller seemed to come with a near-full charge but the right one had absolutely zero? Or why, in god drat 2017 it doesn't come with a god drat AC adapter?

Oh wait that last one's so they can scam more money out of you. Because the 80 dollar price tag on extra controllers wasn't enough, I guess.
lol @ this post

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Inverness posted:

Are the joycons already charged when they arrive?

No you have to play Zelda via the touchscreen while your joy cons charge (hope you bought an AC adapter cause the console doesn't come with one)

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Feenix posted:

Still disappointing, but I mean... I figure they HAVE to address it, right? What's Nintendo's general reputation on things like this?

I mean: You release a BRAND new console, and you hinge the entirety of its being on this Portable/Home Console duality. Your first flagship launch game is stellar, except it cannot handle well the very thing the console excels at.

You GOTTA do something about that, right? Or people will start thinking; " Oh hey, this mobile handheld thing that connects to a TV kinda sucks when connected to a TV."

I mean... right?
lol @ this post

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

I just linked my Nintendo Network ID to a new Nintendo Account. The NNID has my Mii from the Wii U on it and I'd like to use that Mii as my Switch avatar.

Is this possible? How can I do it?
You can transfer it over if you've got an amiibo.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
What are the controls like in Snipperclips? Do you need to use the shoulder buttons at all? I'm taking my Switch over to someone's house later and I'd like to just bring the unit itself and not worry about the wriststraps if possible.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

s.i.r.e. posted:

Also I just realized that the intake vents for the Switch are completely blocked off by the dock when it's sitting in there. Holy poo poo what a terrible design.
There's a vent.

I mean, I guess you could leave the back cover open if you're worried about it overheating.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

chaosbreather posted:

Yo I want some friends on my friends list, are we doing a thread for that or what?
Do you even have the option to add people? I figured they were just waiting for the online service this summer.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Samara posted:

So after Zelda what do you do with your Switch?
After Zelda...?

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Louisgod posted:

Does anybody have the Brickseek links for checking Switch stock at Wal-Mart? Co-worker is still searching for one and I figure I can try to help.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Cerepol posted:

Anyone else just enjoying using the joy cons separately?

Not so much out of a dislike of the grip (which is alright) I find myself just using the joycons. Its great being able to lounge without needing to hold my hands together while playing. Its like a realized wiimote + nunchunk without the dumb wire that got caught on everything.
I've been doing this exclusively and it's so good.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Nerdrock posted:

well, poo poo. That's what I get for breaking my "gently caress physical media" policy.
I had this the first time I tried to put Zelda in. Had to remove/reinsert it a couple times before it showed up. Haven't experienced it ever again but that's also because I've never removed Zelda from the slot.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

ChocNitty posted:

Whats the verdict on Isaac. Is it a pass, rental, or purchase? I got a free month of gamefly, trying to rent it, but its at low availability.
It's poo, especially for $40.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
Why wouldn't you just rest your fingers on the actual buttons???

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
This lovely thing is DEFINITELY not worth $700. Not at ALL!

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
BoI will always feel like a lovely flash game to me compared to Gungeon/Throne.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Calaveron posted:

What's the recommended portable charger and usb c cable that will cause my switch to not conflagrate
Could this information be put in the op
Nintendo literally sells one. Why do people keep asking this stupid question?

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Stux posted:

it absolutely is, sorry, its ridiculous. its good that the sequel is at least upping the on release map number as far as we know so far. or would you rather they cut it back down to five seeing as that was "fine"
Lol

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Stux posted:

also nintendo has confirmed launch joycons have an engineering flaw, probably worth sending any in for repair even if you are not currently having issues:

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/03/report-nintendo-is-fixing-disconnecting-joy-cons-with-conductive-foam/
lmfao it doesn't say that at all. Classic Stux.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Stux posted:

"Nintendo is offering a similar fix to users who call in to its support line, and the company may be selling redesigned, fixed controllers at stores right now."
A guy bought 2 joycons and one of them had a slightly different labeled circuit board.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Stux posted:

"Over at CNET, writer Sean Hollister recounts his experience with Nintendo customer service, which he calls "just about the best electronics customer service I've ever experienced." After getting a free overnight shipping label for his controller after a weekend call, Hollister received his controller back in the mail just five days after sending it.

Opening up the fixed controller showed that Nintendo didn't have to do much to correct the connection issue. The only apparent difference is a small piece of black foam sitting on top of the corner of the controller board that houses the Bluetooth antenna trace.

Hollister and his colleagues at TechRepublic presume that this is a piece of metal-coated conductive foam, designed to lessen interference from outside sources (including the big metal joystick housing that sits right next to the antenna on the left Joy-Con). Hollister says the controller stops working when the foam is removed, suggesting the tiny fix is all that was really needed."
Nintendo hasn't confirmed any sort of engineering flaw, which is what you initially stated when posting the link.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Spellman posted:

The thing is you don't know if your playing conditions right now are the ones you're always going to have. You might get an aquarium or something, and according to Nintendo, that could set off interference

If all early Joy-con are missing the foam and all latter ones will have the foam, then it's a free foamy bluetooth connection enhancer that will only serve to improve your experience
The only ones with foam are ones that you send in for repair. No other Joycon, new or old, has any sort of foam.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Loopoo posted:

Just to lay this whole issue to rest: I could straight up put the Switch up for sale on Amazon right now for 279.99GBP. I would be getting 95% of the cost back, cause Amazon takes 10 or 15GBP as their cut. I am more than happy with losing that tiny amount of money for a solid 3 weeks of use (it'd sorta be like me having rented the console for 3 weeks!). My reasoning behind selling it now is 1) I get a lump of money back I can use for whatever (even though I'm not in dire need of money) 2) I literally won't touch it for a long time cause I've exhausted Zelda and there are no games coming out in the foreseeable future that I want 3) There's literally no stock anywhere, my console is in great shape, it'd be nice to throw it out there at retail price to save some poor fucker succumbing to the horrid prices some people are selling the console for (people are putting brand new and used - like new consoles up for 350GBP).

All you lot talking about me losing money when I buy it again in the future, I don't mind if it's out of stock come the time I want to buy a Switch again. Only game I'd sorta be hype for is Mario Odyssey and Pikmin (if they release one), but not to the point where I'd die a little inside having to wait. I'm a huge Zelda fan so I wanted to get it on launch along with the Switch to try it out, but my intention from the get-go was to sell it on once I'd finished and had my fill of the game. Snipperclips is a good shout, but tbh me and all my friends in uni are hella swamped with assignments right now cause semester 2 is a nightmare.

So I dunno why you all seem to think I'd be losing heaps of cash selling it now when I really wouldn't be. And if 8 months down the line when I wanna pick a Switch up again but it's sold out, I really won't mind waiting since I got to try it out now, and I'm not anywhere near as hype for a game as I was for BotW. I could leave my console collecting dust but I am 100% certain I won't touch it again for ages. My life nowadays isn't spent binging video games, I mainly just watch TV cause I'm always too tired from work to play games, so I'd rather have that cash in my pocket now to spend on other stuff if I want.

This is dumb. Main difference between a Switch and a car is I actually need my car for everyday use. I can live without a Switch. I've had my fill of it, I got all the hype out of my system, I really like the console and I know if I wanna pick it up later down the line, waiting until it's in stock won't kill me.

If I sold it now, I'd get 259.99GBP for it. I'd then buy it in the future (whenever that is) for retail price again. Meaning I'd have a net loss of 20 quid, which - again - for 3 weeks use really isn't that big a deal.
lol you call yourself a "huge Zelda fan" but are also okay saying goodbye to the game after only experiencing like 60% of what it has to offer lmao.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
Ticks are actually bad. A lower tickrate is preferable. The guy who posted the graph didn't understand this.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
:getout:

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

lelandjs posted:

Theres at least something for everyone and lots for the broader-minded gamers. Pretty much every game, save for Voez (don't love rhythm games or Korean music) and Shovel Knight (bought it for Wii U, wasnt able to make much progess) is very much my poo poo.

Haven't bought Blaster Master Zero yet because I'm concerned its a hardcore SNES style game and I'm bad at those (see Shovel Knight) but I probably will eventually.
It's the NES game refined with modern game dev techniques.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
Nothing will ever top Advance Tour, ever.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
I'm addicted to detached joy con mode, at least for Zelda. It's so comfortable. With sometime more intense like Splatoon I'd probably prefer the pro controller though.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

inferis posted:

I bought the charging grip on day one and have literally never used it. Unless you regularly use two sets of joycon or never play in handheld mode it's pretty unnecessary. If it's docked all the time you might as well just go with a pro controller.
Do they even sell the weird plastic shell grip on its own?

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

LethalGeek posted:

For 30 it could have something more than some wiring to connect power.nintendo is a bunch of greedy assholes but this is just insane. and I'm a guy with a whole second dock & power.
You don't have to buy it. I don't think anyone is complaining about the battery life of the joycons. Them offering a product isn't in itself greedy.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

enojy posted:

Yea sorta I lost it but I know where it went hehehe *coughs and shakes* *reaches for phone to call 911 and proctologist in that order* *points to dilznick for some unrelated reason*
LMFAO!!!

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Cojawfee posted:

I don't know what Harlock is talking about but Jackbox needs to connect to the internet. Your switch will talk to Jackbox.tv to run the game. You and your friends go to jackbox.tv on your phones or laptops and punch in the code on the TV to join the game. The switch plays the game, tells the website what games to send to your phones and then gets back the scores and whatnot. You can't play it without internet.
Yeah I think a lot of people just don't really understand what Jackbox is. It's a local (or Twitch stream) party game that communicates with the internet via jackbox.tv

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

unimportantguy posted:

I'm genuinely confused by the idea of people buying amiibos for their paltry and gimmicky in-game effects. They're cool Nintendo toys and I got a Samus for like $10 as opposed to whatever outrageous price they charge for the other Samus figures out there.
BotW changed people. The need those ancient arrows.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
Can you upgrade the amiibo gear or is it purely cosmetic? I funny hat would be neat but if it severely limits my defense then I'd never really use it anyway.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

LethalGeek posted:

Sure but my point is bluetooth has pretty tiny bandwidth and my experience trying to stream data and drive in inputs at the same time fell flat on it's face in practice. Probably because like any broadcast medium collisions happen which causes faction of a second pauses while it's resolved. Something you can't have while trying to, according to some random blurb I saw, send 1ms updates from the joycons to the machine.

Thinking on this a tad harder I wonder if this is why the Wiimote's audio quality was so crap. Not because they couldn't put in a better speaker but because doing any more would have screwed up input latency.
None of this is correct. Please stop posting about things you don't know about.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

tbh its easily my favorite console ever, so agreed, it is insanely good and cool
It is.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
Pretty sure I bought the exact same thing on the Wii for $6 about 11 years ago.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

patonthebach posted:

If its the real NBA 2k that would be good. Hopefully they make a new Mario Golf / Tennis too. Right now the only things that make me want to buy this thing is Zelda for a week or two and then Skyrim.
lol at the idea of only playing Zelda for a week

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Stan Taylor posted:

You're right, I'm lucky it's not $100 because it has a mode that was in literally every other entry in the series.
Don't buy it then bitch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Buca di Bepis posted:

Mario Kart 8 came out 3 years ago
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe comes out in 25 days.

• Locked thread