Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Powershift posted:

A caps-pens series would be some good ol' timey hockey. It would be nice to see the caps win it there in 7 and be dead tired for the Canadiens coming from the other side of the bracket. Then Canadiens win there, oilers on the other side, oilers win the cup, habs fans burn down the city.

You know the Oilers fans will burn down Edmonton as well in this scenario, yes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

The first round Habs/Rags series is going to feature some ridiculously insane goaltending and two very good-to-great goaltenders who will never win the cup.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

My favorite part is the reminder that less than 6 months ago we all believed Carey Price getting injured again was the only long-shot way Therrien was getting fired.

Turns out we were wrong. He just had to have a solid month and a half of sub-.900 goaltending.

:tinfoil: He went from something stupid like averaging .949 to .898 and I think in March (after Therrien's dismissal) he was back at .949-ish numbers.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

I only started watching hockey because people kept telling me it was the only worthwhile thing to watch at the winter olympics. Like I straight up wouldn't be a hockey person without the Olympics.

The IOC can burn in hell, but they won't have to be drinking buddies with every majors american sports league commisioner and 80% of team owners.

Whoever gave Melnyk his Kidney or whatever it was should ask for it back.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

ElwoodCuse posted:

Canada and USA hockey won't take any NHL guys because they get NHL money themselves.

That is just going to make the inevitable Russian semi-final flameout seem even more embarrassing.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

I would not read too much into this.
If Hockey Canada and USA Hockey both say "we won't pick NHL players", the temptation to go for gold will overcome the desire to grow the KHL again. Besides, the oligarchs probably can't afford to pay for an Ovie these days.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

xzzy posted:

The correct solution is to just play OT until someone scores, playoff style. No ties, no loser points.

If they'd done that during the Neutral Zone trap era, people would have died.

iospace posted:

This.

Real talk:

Remove the loser point unless you take it to the shootout. There, incentive to avoid the shootout.

Have two 5-min periods of 3-on-3, if you can't separate it after that both teams leave with one point.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Zodijackylite posted:

That's not even the worst trade involving the Habs shipping out a current top defenseman.

I'm waiting for someone to bring back HAS.gif and the amazing Gomez avatar the subject of the gif is sporting.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Teemu Pokemon posted:

Riley "Defensively Responsible" Sheahan

Wow, Dylan Larkin did not have a good sophomore season.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

flakeloaf posted:

Same way you can go from "The Head Coach has my complete confidence" to "We are proud to welcome Mike Keenan"

JR isn't that loving dumb.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Martytoof posted:

Toronto is a legit ok/good team this year so they'll make it in. I'm more concerned about Montreal losing a game to the Buffalo Sabres hockey organization.

Toronto is in for sure, and the Habs are in cruise mode. They've got absolutely nothing to win for right now and can take the foot off the throttle for a few games. Hey, maybe keep Lindgren around and give him a few more games of NHL hockey.

I don't see the magical confluence of:
1) Toronto losing all 3 remaining games
2) Bolts/Isles winning all 3 of their remaining games

It could happen. Mathematically, it is a possibility, but I wouldn't be putting money on it.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Iodised QQ posted:

(come on and win a few more games you metro fuckers)

It just went from being like a 1/27 chance to being a 1/12 chance

C'MON LEAFS, YOU CAN DO THIS. I BELIEVE IN YOU AND YOUR ABILITY TO MAKE YOUR FANS FEEL LIKE ABSOLUTE loving RETARDS.

Schlesische fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Apr 7, 2017

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Mind_Taker posted:

I'm a fan of the Islanders making that last playoff spot, especially since Tavares doesn't look like he'll be available in the first round should they make it.

But gently caress Tampa Bay. As much as I want to go to some Capitals playoff games in Tampa (where I live), I'd much rather not face that nightmare of a team.

The Isles and the Bolts are in the same position: their main superstar isn't coming back for the first round of the playoffs.
Whoever the Caps play is going to put the fear of god in WAS, it's going to be a wild series regardless.

I'd simply point out that Boston's last game is in Washington and they're only 2 points in front of the Leafs who have an extra game in hand.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Have fun LAS, I'm disappointed I don't get a Steve Dangle meltdown video, but there's still hope that Washington do what they did last year and play down before remembering they won the President's Trophy in game 7.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Drunk Canuck posted:

Harsh dumb decision from the Kings. The new hires will get instapraise when most of the team regress to their career norms and be in a playoff spot.

You say that, but I don't think the Kings post Sutter are going to be Corsi gods. And if they move away from that and expose Quick all that much during the regular season we're going to see a full team implosion next offseason.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

iospace posted:

UNLIKE ANOTHER PLAYER TURNED GM JOE SAKIC

If Sakic had offloaded his "young stars" at the in-season trade deadline he would have had to have accepted significant underpay.

He was looking for a Sergachev (who... no. Just no.) from the Habs for Duchene. That kind of trade only gets made if you're going up against a really dumb GM on a team desperate to break through. They don't seem to be as prevalent as they did 5 years ago.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Zodijackylite posted:

I don't think that's much of a stretch. Duchene is 26, signed for two more years at a reasonable cap hit, and is a very good player. Players of that caliber and age rarely become available, and it may be worth mortgaging the future for a handful of potential contenders.

Just as a theoretical, pencil Duchene into Nashville's roster. Formidable on paper, key players at the right ages for opening the window, and their chief divisional rival under their foot. They've even got the cap space.

My point is, he's not going to get that price at the deadline and definitely not after the Wild and Caps made the seismic splash they made. He's a much better chance after the expansion draft or around the pre-season draft as teams start to look at what they have this year and what they think it'll take to get that far next year.
Assuming they don't think Nolan Patrick/Whoever else is going no1 is going to pull an Auston Matthews.

While I don't think the Habs are going to sell Sergachev at this point in time, I could definitely see them dangling Galchenyuk or Beaulieu's rights.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

xzzy posted:

Pro tip: go for Kane.

It's gonna be Toews, he just fits the mold.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Suspicious posted:

It's also literally as every single HAS poster had predicted.

In hindsight it was a favor to PK. Traded to a much better team not run by people who would choose the coach over the star player.

I kinda want Carey to get traded.
I want Carey to win a cup, and it's not happening in Montreal without some major shifts.

Patches going dry for basically the last two months is a killer (and he goes completely cold for way too long, way too often; he's still a handy two-way player, but you need more from your superstar first line winger), Danault straight up isn't a first line center and Galchenyuks varying role is probably going to come back to haunt Bergevin.
Weber for Subban hurts right now. Hurts real bad.

On the flipside Hudon and Sergachev have to be right in there for a spot next year, another preseason camp could see Sherbak make another big push towards the big team and there's a real chance Emelin isn't on this team next year.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

And the process of turning that into an avatar starts today...

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

iospace posted:

How long will the FIRE JULIEN chants start from has?

Weh, for now we like him. The team plays less like a garbage fire that needs Carey to bail it out most nights.
Therrien had the magic bounce when the Habs made it to the ECF that one year, and they played a fast, energetic game that took everyone by surprise, but I don't think Julien is going to lose HAS' support for another year or two.

You listed Scherbak twice and Hudon is a) probably going to get an extended crack at the NHL next year (unless he's the new Gabe Dumont) and b) probably not less than a 3rd line scoring winger.

For *far too long* the Habs have viewed themselves as being deficient in bottom-6 defensively responsible forwards and defensively responsible d-men. A lot of this can be explained away by "the system Michel Therrien used was 'collapse to the net, don't let them get easy shots, Carey will do the rest'" and a little bit of "PK Subban isn't responsible with the Puck! Galchenyuk can't win faceoffs! Plekanec and Markov are getting older!".

Basically what I'm saying is, Trevor Timmins doesn't dictate what the team drafts, and based on how speculative the late round pickups have been, I'd be guessing Bergevin basically lets him pick and choose who he wants in the 4th and 5th rounds.

Kilza posted:

I'm guessing if Bergevin was to get fired Julien Brisebois (Tampa's AGM) would be the popular choice to replace him, which seems like it'd be an improvement. Of course, there's also the comedy option of Patrick Roy. :getin:

I doubt Roy comes in if there's a coach. Roy comes in if it's a "blow it all up scenario", because he wants to have a large say in what the GM does, while being the coach.

I think this coming year is Bergevin's last chance. This just passed year was an "all in year" that got complicated by a month long fall-off and there being no real "targets" for rentals Bergevin might have gone in for. If they're tumbling down the stretch in January again, there's gonna be some real heat on Bergevin, and if they get bounced in the first round (regardless of how absurdly unfair it is that they have to play the team that finished 4th in conference) I really do think he's gone. This time.

ThinkTank posted:

Randy Cunneyworth was installed on an interim basis about five years ago and he didn't speak French. He was never a full time head coach though.

I'm sure a lot of people say "we just want a cup, I don't care who takes us there" but it's a different story when you have the plan on how to get there filtered through an interpreter every night. Less than 1 in 10 people in Quebec speak English. I'm sure that the "it doesn't matter" sentiment is commonplace in Montreal where it's more even, but I'm sure there are a poo poo load of fans on the Gaspe peninsula who'd beg to differ.

Wasn't Cunneyworth staggeringly unpopular?
Doesn't Montreal alone account for 9/100 of those English speakers in Quebec (and most of the bilingual persons too)?
(worth noting, a lot of Quebecers in the East, who are definitely monolingual french, of the state will never ever support the Canadiens because they are Nordiques 100%... still)

Also, Qubecois Joual is disgusting, and someone should put an end to it.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Furnaceface posted:

How long would it take for Therrien to convince them to trade Ekblad to some western team for an older more broken down version of Ekblad?

I honestly don't think the trade is Therrien's fault. Eller et al, sure, but not PK. PK was the result of Therrien saying "I think we need more stability on the blue line" and Bergevin getting a call from Nashville "hey we'll give you Shea if you give us PK" which resulted in 2 + -5 = 5.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

deoju posted:

I just looked this up. Here's goalies ranked by wins all-time and here they are by playoff wins. Cujo is the only goalie without a cup higher than him on either list, by 49 wins all time, and only 2 playoff wins.

:smith:

Edit: Though I did learn Tony Esposito was on the 69 Habs and has a ring. :unsmith:

1) Luongo has more regular season wins, and has no ring.
2) If you played for the Habs at some point between 1950 and 1979 and you didn't get a ring, you have the right to feel that the universe is out to get you and specifically you.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Mormon Juggernaut posted:

I swear one of the games at Yankee Stadium they were considered the home team

All the media probably would have labelled it as such, but by the letter of the deed the Devils and then Isles were the home teams.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Duke Chin posted:

I hate this stupid loving season.

A Predators cup is literally, LIT ER AH LY the only way to redeem this loving trashfire of a year.

Started in 2016, is garbage, checks out.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

The definition of a "show me" contract.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Did he get banned, or is he still serving his one year "I won't post in here" toxx?

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Stretch Marx posted:

Aren't the Sens the higher seed?

Yes.
If the Preds win they will be winning from the 8th seed in the West, and as the lowest seed overall.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Xtanstic posted:

The one thing that stands in the way of Toronto being better than Montreal for the next 10 years is if Dubas leaves before he can lock up the core and jettison the overvalued players. Please Avs.

There is zero chance Toronto aren't 2 years away from being better than the Habs for a decade.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Duke Chin posted:

It still blows my dumb little DukeMind™ that, as we watch the Preds head into the SCF, that man is still currently employed by the Habs.

It is to :lol:

This next year is almost certainly his last one.
The year just passed was a "all-in" year - that much was obvious when they traded PK for Shea - that got sidetracked and postponed after Therrien got fired.
This next year is it. If he can't make it happen, he's gone. And since the Habs are... a scoring center, Radulov and top quality puck moving D away from being "an actual thing", he's done.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Loqieu posted:

Oh boy, I just read this: http://www.blueshirtbanter.com/2017...brothers-sweden

I've been a fan of Joel Lundqvist since his days in Dallas, and I'm glad he found success back with Frolunda as they're clearly the best team in Europe the last few years. With that said, what a terrible idea. I think the crux of the matter is we've been so spoiled having Henrik in net the last 12 years, and now we're starting to realize the grim future if he declines.

The Rangers still have one of the best farm systems in the league right now.
If things are bleak, it's for one or two years before all that talent clicks into their prime.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Xtanstic posted:

Even money on them being better next year except for the fact that Julien system + Price will hide a lot of flaws and give us a good record again

Yeah, they are probably still going to finish above the Leafs next year even if the Leafs don't Sophomore slump (my money is on that happening). But the Leafs trajectory is upwards while the Habs are flat at best. This has to be an all or nothing year, and I'm okay with putting all the chips in play while Carey is still a human cheat code even knowing they probably still won't win the Cup.

a false posted:

is this a joke. because the rangers' farm system is Not Good, which is maybe common enough knowledge for someone to post this as a joke.

shestyorkin and buchnevich are great but the prospect pool outside of that is very barren

It started off as a joke, but the Rangers do have some pretty decent younger players who theoretically haven't peaked yet. If Lundqvist falls off the cliff in the next two years, the damage won't be unmitigated disaster, more single digits away from Playoffs.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Where does Arizona end up if they do move?

Quebec is a red hot chance, but the NHL would exponentially rather hold Arizona in Arizona until Seattle, Portland, Kansas or somewhere like that opens up.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Gio posted:

this. just this.

i dont get how vegas is supposed to make money; supposed to not always suck; supposed to have a fanbase.

i dont get why the nhl needed a 31st team at all.

The team is going to suck for a while, but until the NFL showed up it was going to be pretty safe.

Vegas is hoping that people from places like Montreal, Toronto, New York and Boston are going to go "hey, I want to go on a trip to watch my team play, why don't I double up and go on a trip to Vegas".
Vegas is also a large enough city for hockey and, if (it's a big if), they can average well over 10k every night they'll be fine.

The whole idea of the expansion was that Seattle, Portland, Kansas or Milwaukee would've put up a realistic option and made it 32.
Quebec City is literally the only slam-dunk ready to go now market the NHL has access to and Bettman has made it clear he doesn't view it as an option, so we're in a holding pattern until Seattle can sort it's poo poo out (lol, never gonna happen).

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Gio posted:

two things. first, the idea that the NFL is going to take away hockey fans is funny, and wholly indicative of why vegas is such a dumb market for hockey. second, the "snowbird hypothesis" is literally the bullshit story spun by paul newman in Slap Shot; there's a reason why it was a joke. apparently though it's an idea the NHL has taken seriously.

e: third, raw attendance doesn't mean poo poo if your tickets are the price of an ECHL game.

Firstly, The NFL is relevant due to the Business community, who purchase boxes and suites and are generally willing to pay significantly more than the plebs down below.
Not selling out boxes is often significantly worse for a franchise than not selling out seats because it underlines a franchise's lack of ability to attract local sponsorships and other "it's small here, but it really adds up" budget stuff.

Secondly, I never ever ever said Las Vegas was a good idea, just that the NHL was going to do it regardless because there was money on the table and it's an expansion into a market that is genuinely unserved by hockey. Same as how Arizona's (also Nashville, Florida, Tampa Bay, California, Atlanta) value is not solely in money now, but in the growth of the player pool which is potential growth in the US market. Keep in mind Hockey already has a relatively large international player pool relative to the rest of the 4 major US sports and doesn't need to go hell for leather running exhibition matches in places that don't give a poo poo (but will do so anyway because it's run by idiots).

hifi posted:

arizona does this and the problem is that nobody wants to see the california teams or the bad teams back east, and now you can throw in vegas/arizona as teams that the other side is going to have a hard time filling the arena half full

Arizona doesn't have the same kind of raw tourism appeal Las Vegas can offer.
For example, the Casinos (who plan on buying a bunch of boxes iirc) can offer their more "well off" clientelle spend a few nights in a high roller suite and, as part of the package, go watch their team from a pretty swish box. Arizona, not so much.

iospace posted:

Milwaukee had an NHL class arena ready to go.

The NHL either never bit, or they wanted to and Chicago said no.

I think they didn't really want to go to Milwaukee because they view it as served by Chicago and the Minnesota franchise. Doesn't really make sense because ?Wisconsonites? mostly have a bred-in distaste of Chicago and don't have a massive liking for Minnesota too iirc. Chicago won't say no, but the "entrance fee" from both Minnesota and Chicago might have been set high enough as a deterrent - see also "Greater Toronto Area".

Xtanstic posted:

I swear a few weeks ago Bill Daly officially said that the NHL was done waiting around for Seattle to get its poo poo together

Bettman also said something along the lines of "we just offered expansion, where the gently caress were you guys? Make us wait again, and we're loving through." when he admitted Vegas.
Seattle still has a seat that is basically theirs since there's almost no chance Kansas want one, Milwaukee can't have one, Quebec is too small and french while Portland is too busy being Portland.

Schlesische fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Jun 1, 2017

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

If we Fire Bergevin today, you can lock in 2 years of Patrick Roy running the Habs into the ground.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Zodijackylite posted:

I know Roy doesn't have the best reputation, but perhaps it says something good that he bailed on the Avs in frustration with their roster management the year before they were historically terrible.

He didn't sign in Montreal because Molson wouldn't give him a strong say in what the GM did. Colorado had no such qualms.

He was the coach and pres of hockey ops iirc, meaning he was absolutely as liable for making that garbage fire of a team as Sakic.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Zodijackylite posted:

He quit before that happened, because he didn't have enough influence. Seeing the impending collapse and bailing should affect his reputation a bit.

When the Avs traded Nick Holden to the Rangers, Patrick Roy called Alain Vigneault and told him "you got my best defenseman." Holden has a cap hit of 1.65m and posted a career best 11g 23a 34p. It seems that Roy thought this guy might be more useful than the fourth round pick they got for him.

When he was hired by the Avs it was as coach and vice president of hockey ops. It was noted at the time that no other coach in the league had the effective power as coach and GM.

It's possible that after they blundered their way through last season that he lost all his influence, but I remember reading that Molson was unwilling to cut the deal to land Roy that the Avs later took up. The end result was Bergevin and Therrien.
Fun fact, Bergevin was on the Detroit team that ended Roy's Montreal career.

Schlesische fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jun 2, 2017

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

yellowcar posted:

Oh and I bet a bazillion dollars that he's gonna take Galchenyuk and Beaulieu to arbitration.

If I was any team right now, I'd have offersheets ready to go because I bet those two can't wait to leave this garbage team.

I think they're trying to see what it's going to take to get Radulov before they assign 9mil worth of contracts.
Nolan Patrick also visited the Habs. Along with the Devils and Flyers. I'm really scared now. Really. loving. Scared.

Schlesische fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jun 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

corn on the cop posted:

i will happily take sergachev

If I wasn't freaking out about Exams, it would be scary to know Bergevin is capable of throwing something that will make my heart skip beats and keep me awake at night.

• Locked thread