Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Hoodwinker posted:

I know you can order boxes with meal assembly ingredients in them, but how lovely would it be to order from a service that just gave you a random assortment of food?

"My box came with a jar of minced garlic, seven tangerines, an unlabeled can, a single chicken thigh, and three thawed freezepops."

This is my original idea please do not steal. There's somebody that would actually buy this.

How do food safety guidelines apply over state lines? This sounds like you could make / spend a decent amount of money before the lawsuits hit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

monster on a stick posted:

I'm gonna run away and join the circus become a ski bum

Oh boy, going from a job that pays $20k annual bonuses and has let him get $50k into a 401k by age 24 to ski bumming it! I've sitll never had a job that does 401k match, I have no idea how people get that much in when you're only allowed to put $18k/year in.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This is a mental health nightmare. His poor shut-in mother needs to be seeing mental health professionals, and he needs to go get a construction job not for his family if he's been doing construction work 30+ hours a week for 5 years.

The guy really sums it up himself!

quote:

Everyone has different goals in life, having money is definitely not one of mine.
I work for friends sometimes like flooring, painting, etc. But I'm not a licensed contractor so I don't believe I can do remodeling work for others. I've been 100% busy with what my family has had to get done and always figured if I wanted to make a career out of it I'd get licensed later.

He also talks about how $200/mo is enough for him to live on because his meals cost less than $5/day, and his healthcare plan is having his sister give him stitches or prescribe antibiotics.

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 16:47 on May 3, 2017

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Another "How did this even happen before you turned 20?" story from the Army.

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/68xwlp/20m_leaving_army_with_nothing_but_debt/

The army really needs to just let people co-habitate or ban wives from the bases. The amount of married 18-year olds is crazy.

They also have a new mandated financial education class for all recruits, but it doesn't seem to be doing anything to stop these situations.

I don't want to internet detective the guy, but a quick peek shows him posting about meeting a stripper 10 months ago, married her, got her pregnant, and now this divorce mess is happening all within the same year. That's bad with life, not just money.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I wonder if he got that entire negotiating strategy from his mom. I learned years ago not to listen to job advice from baby boomers. They have no idea how things work now.

I'm selling a house right now, and my in-laws have been telling us to take the first lowball (under tax appraisal) offer, saying that we should be glad to get more than what we paid for the house out of it.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I see this as more of a $50,000 wedding.

Now imagine this wedding is taking place in the SF Bay Area.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Krispy Kareem posted:

This probably doesn't count as a humblebrag because holy poo poo I got a large raise at my last job and it killed us in taxes. As in, I already had zero deductions and I ended up with a 6 digit tax bill because we moved up brackets. Marginal tax rates, sure. But if you get caught off guard and don't withhold enough the IRS eats your loving rear end in extra fees.

So that does happen. If an older person is talking about that then they probably lived through the inflationary 80's and watched any pay raised get slaughtered by the combination of higher prices and more taxes. It just takes one year like I had to make you forever paranoid.

A large part of this is what bullshit garbage the US tax system is compared to any other country. Unless you're running your own business, most taxable activity (or credit / deduction eligible activity) is already being reported to the IRS. They can and should be setting your withholding for you, and then just sending you a pre-filled return saying "does this look right"?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

silence_kit posted:

I've never been on a cruise, but I suspect that's like asking if you are allowed to bring your own popcorn and snacks to the movie theatre.

You're allowed to bring one bottle of wine per person for free on most lines, which is to let people actually have good wine vs the cheap poo poo they have onboard.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Barry posted:

Someone in your thread going on and on about totally unrelated content? Post a BWM link!

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/6k8ua7/should_i_apply_for_a_debt_consolidation_loan/

Only 21 and almost have their combined yearly salary in credit card debt accrued. At least they're (hopefully) seeing the error of their ways.

I saw medical bills and was about to be sympathetic, then I actually looked at the numbers.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Cold on a Cob posted:

Same reason otherwise GWM people keep buying houses in the middle of bubbles - "it's good debt!"

A lot of the old personal finance advice is becoming outdated but nobody seems to be questioning it.

This varies dramatically by local market, but trying to time the housing market is like trying to time any other market: not a long-term winning plan.

In markets where houses are expensive but rent is even more expensive, why not buy a house if it's significantly cheaper than renting something similar? You even get a tax subsidy because we've decided that high-income homeowners deserve the largest chunk of government benefits.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Cold on a Cob posted:

One of the arguable signs of a housing bubble is rents are significantly cheaper than mortgaging and investor/landlords are losing money on houses month-to-month, because the demand is among investors not people that will buy and inhabit. You'll also see a lot of vacant houses in a bubble market, for example.

I absolutely agree that this will vary by market. That's my problem with advice like "housing debt is always good debt".

This is what makes me think that lots of US markets aren't in a bubble, but just really expensive. Sure, that run-down old house costs $480k now, but renting the equally worn-down house across the street would be $3600/mo so it's still much cheaper to buy.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

C.H.O.M.E posted:

What kind of tires does the model S have? He complains that they're worn after 8 months but that's pretty typical wear for Z or W rated tires, especially if you are flooring it all the time.

The Model S is a 5000lb, over 600hp car on 21" wheels with really sticky tires. 6 month tire lifespan is generous if you're driving hard.

Edit: Here's a longer explanation: https://www.edmunds.com/tesla/model-s/2013/long-term-road-test/2013-tesla-model-s-tire-woes-part-2.html

Tires won't make it to 10k miles if you don't rotate them, I'm betting a good care tire wear scenario if you take it easy is about 15k mile life.

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jul 11, 2017

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

C.H.O.M.E posted:

No I know how tires work, just don't know what kind of tires the tesla has.

Oh, most of the P85D Teslas have these: https://shop.teslamotors.com/products/21-continental-sport-contact-5-tire

W rated summer tire, $375 each plus labor if you buy them from Tesla.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

April posted:

As fascinating as tires are, have some BWM:

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/6mmaxl/uhhh_help/?st=j4zq703h&sh=cc85c114

The OP doesn't seem to make a lot of sense....

Then he explains a little....

"I've never been able to do anything school-ish, so taking out a 50k loan to go to school makes perfect sense."

I have no idea what "school" this is, but I hope they are out of business now.

Full sail? They've been around for a long time actually, existing to prey upon peoples dreams of working in creative roles in the entertainment industry.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Can a horse person explain to me what "teeth floating" and "coggins" are, and how often horses need them?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Oh, if he's actually the guy that runs the biggest one of those services, then yes he could be making 40x the rent. He's acting directly as a money launderer for foreign nationals.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Something similar is happening in the CS world, but it's code "boot-camps" that charge $10k-25k for 8 or 12 week courses, except I've known multiple people who went to those and ended up walking into >$80k jobs in non-bay area cities and >$100k jobs in the bay area.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

ate all the Oreos posted:

As a company that hires people right out of those bootcamps let me be the first to tell you that they're the first people to get fired when we need to lay off some staff, and that's if they're even competent enough to stay on in the first place. I'm sure there are some code bootcamps that are fine and some people that can do 12 weeks of coding and be really good at it but I have not seen this in practice and I guarantee you all those jobs will dry right up the second the tech economy takes even a little dip.

You're not wrong, but for now you get to make $90k or whatever when 6 months ago you were a front desk admin assistant.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

LLCoolJD posted:

How exactly was his account compromised?

Your phone company is incredibly willing to port your phone number to any random person who has your address, so never use SMS 2-factor or tie anything to just having access to your phone number.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Doesn't foreclosure and eviction take a couple months? That's pretty cheap rent if you put $3k down then never pay.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Aren't UK job listing also advertising fully post-income-tax salaries while US positions advertise gross? Depending on state, it can take a pretty drat high salary to net the $150k that would be worth in USD.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

pathetic little tramp posted:

https://twitter.com/ryanbeckwith/status/900741265205186560

No way in Hell it'd happen, but this would be supremely BWM and BadWithPolitics

Well, making everybody do a Roth instead would be stealing from the future government, but wouldn't really affect what I do at all.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Folly posted:

That's related to a talking point they've used before too: removing the state income tax deduction. That way federal taxes aren't subsidizing states with income taxes and the states can compete more directly on tax policy. (So the theory goes, at least - I'm just reporting)

Eliminate the mortgage interest income tax deduction entirely, eliminate the state income tax deduction, watch Californians do some math and realize how hosed they are.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Folly posted:

What's the quick explanation? Lower income people are more likely to rent and thus not benefit from it?

If so, the trade off is that landlords would keep the deduction because it's an above the line business expense and thus removing the mortgage deduction may be even more regressive?

The mortgage interest deduction means more to people in higher income brackets, because it's a deduction, and is more valuable to people with more expensive houses, and thus have more interest to deduct. I believe that it does phase out at some point, but it has the most value right now to household incomes around $300k in a million dollar house, AKA Bay Area tech people.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

all right in fairness the GT350 is extremely cool and good (flat plane crank V8 and an extremely sophisticated suspension) but it's a fast track weapon that you can kind of drive on the street. if you're just driving to work a $40k GT will be more fun and more comfortable.

Also, people with a gross income of $70k per year should not buy $65k cars.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

thekeeshman posted:

Going back to the affordability of cars, one of my friends was told by a group of her friends (who apparently mostly work in restaurants) that "If you make $35k per year that means you can finance a $35k car". She didn't listen, thankfully. If this is what passes for conventional wisdom these days the country's even more hosed than I thought.

The simple rule of thumb I've heard in middle-class circles is "don't buy a house that costs more than 3x income, or own a car that costs more than 1/3 of income when new", but that wisdom would mean that people that make less than $60k don't get to own cars.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

You want to know where there's $100k jobs and $300k houses? Houston, TX.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

I just realized that I deserve the guillotine because I pay $3.50 a loaf. What kind of lovely cheap bread are you guys buying?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

wilderthanmild posted:

How much could a "Full-time" Lyft or Uber driver even make? I've never heard anything to suggest it should ever be more than something you do as a side hustle.

Fake almost edit: He's planning on doing some kind of rental thing for this? JFC how would you ever make money on that?

You make about minimum wage, assuming that you've got a cheap-to-operate car and are working in an area where you can keep pretty constant fares, which is most major cities. Figure about $6-10/hr after expenses.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Phanatic posted:

That's a pretty lowball estimate, unless it's factoring in depreciation on a brand-new car:

https://therideshareguy.com/rsg-2017-survey-results-driver-earnings-satisfaction-and-demographics/

Yes, I was factoring in depreciation, insurance, consumables, gas. From that, the overall gross income average was $16/hr, and all of this is also before paying payroll taxes. Compare this to a normal, hourly job where you're not responsible for paying your own payroll taxes.

quote:

We found that Uber drivers reported earning $15.68 per hour, but since drivers are also responsible for gas, maintenance and depreciation, that number is likely less.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Sundae posted:

The idea of paying $2,000+ a month to live in motherfucking Iowa is giving me the shakes.

All cities that aren't dying are like this. Rents in Houston and other historically affordable cities are also really drat high now.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Xenoborg posted:

What is the spike though? Have law firms all just agreed what their starting price for people from the top schools is going to be?

Yes. The big consulting companies also have almost-identical salary progression for fresh-out college grads.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

I'm only going to award that guy the "good with money" stamp if he was already itemizing and will be able to deduct 100% of the interest on what has got to be some type of mortgage.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

The higher your income, the significantly higher the cost of raising a child to 18.

Having money and kids is bwm

Being low income and having kids is gwm

Fully agreed. Birth without Medicaid costs anywhere from $3k-10k out of pocket, birth with Medicaid is free. Is it any wonder that the majority of births are covered by Medicaid now? http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor/2013/09/12/half_of_american_births_are_covered_by_medicaid_guess_who_s_to_blame.html

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

There's some insane harebrained scheme happening in my extended family that's almost certainly going to end up being bad with money, and possibly criminal.

Long story short, a relative of mine had his family business he co-owns equally with 3 other brothers actually amount to something. They've got a couple of patents and ongoing government contracts. Gossip is that they've found a buyer in the $2mil-$5mil range, so he has a windfall coming to him.

Problem is, the guy has significant personal debt and has been trapped in a marriage he hates for years. To get around this, a new company was incorporated that was owned only by his 3 brothers without him having any stake at all, all assets transferred to the new company, and the original company entirely dissolved... about 6 months ago. They have a gentleman's agreement with no paper trail that he will be able to buy back in his original 1/4 stake in the company for $1 at any point in the future, or just get paid out what he was owed from them in the future if the company is sold before then.

Last week he served his wife with really aggressive divorce papers from an MRA-focused divorce law firm, and he's been blabbing around to the family that he plans to declare bankruptcy after the divorce because other than the company, he's got basically no assets, so his wife will get absolutely nothing. This is in a community property state that almost never does alimony in any cases.

Anyway, I'm looking on from the distance and just hoping that everybody involved avoids prison. It seems like there's no way that divorce / bankruptcy law will let you hide ownership interest in a company like that, but I have no idea by what mechanism they could prove that he has any stake in the new company because the old company is entirely dead and gone.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

spoiler alert: even if he does get through the divorce without owing anything he'll get hosed as soon as he's let back on board the money train

How, though? In a state that doesn't do alimony they can't really reach into nebulous future income.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Panfilo posted:

Wouldn't his stake in that business actually be 1/8 since the wife would be getting half?yet he's doing this sketchy poo poo that's gonna raise some red flags with his lenders and the IRS. It sounds greedy and selfish. If the marriage was so bad then just give her what the law says she is entitled to and chalk it up to the cost of getting out of an unhappy marriage.

Plus, since all of this was some gentleman's agreement what's stopping his siblings from shafting him?

Yes, his 1/4 stake in the original, entirely defunct, formally dissolved business would become 1/8 for him and 1/8 for ex. However, the new business now has all of the IP, assets, and connections, and he has no ownership stake.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

metallicaeg posted:

Man I'm going through some rough poo poo in my life right now that's all being dumped on me in a short period of time, but my mood got better upon realizing I'm nowhere near "turning down job offers and living with a wife and four kids in an SUV" territory, gently caress

I feel a lot of sympathy for the guy. He's made some poor life choices to end up there, but to top it off he's in a part of the country where running entirely out of money means you're really hosed even if you have the ability to earn a decent salary.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Teeter posted:

Is it likely for a bank to stop paying interest on a savings account if I ask?

Not sure how I've never heard of this before, but how do Muslims save money or retire? Do financial institutions in Muslim countries pocket all of that interest money themselves? GWM move for them if so.

There's an entire niche market of loophole-exploiting Muslim-friendly financial products. Check this out: https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2014/06/the-city-that-offers-sharia-compliant-loans-to-muslim-business-owners/431079/

The long and the short of it is that a muslim-compliant loan buys the asset from whoever the real seller is, and resells it to the Muslim immediately for a markup (this is essentially the interest, paid entirely up front) and the Muslim makes equal payments at 0% interest. I guess for loans, it looks like you get a $40k loan, and the bank keeps $2k or $3k of it or whatever and you pay back 40 equal payments of $1k. You have paid no interest, technically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Mocking Bird posted:

I live in a rent controlled duplex in the Bay Area and have for about six years. The mortgage for this unit if it sold at market value would be about 2.5x my rent. I could not afford that mortgage. So, renting is a good deal for me because I can make bay area wages while not paying a bay area mortgage that is 80-90% of my income.

The really good with money person is my landlord who paid cash for this minimalist Victorian house in the then-ghetto in the early 1970s.

The most bad with money people are my upstairs neighbors who are relatives of my landlord and choose to pay San Francisco rent for three years while the upstairs unit sat empty waiting for them to live in it for free. The man even works in my city, and they had two kids in a one bedroom in SF. But they didn't want to give up ~the city life~

Yes, if you can get things for half of market price, that is a good deal.