Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

Fanatic posted:

You end up with a jumble of numbers after your tag now though, so you may want to think twice about changing it if you have a good OG tag.

Evil Badman posted:

This only happens if you pick a name someone already has.

More specifically, this only happens to your Xbox360 name. There's a newer name class that puts the unique number into a subsection (think Discord), though the new name style also has new unicode requirements (you are no longer restricted to ASCII, seems you require a font that works for the entire UTF-16 code page) so not every game will be using it (eg Quake).

Rocket Pan fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Oct 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Fanatic posted:

Honestly it still baffles me that people volunteer to be unpaid beta testers for a multi-billion dollar corporation's product. :psyduck:

To each their own I guess.

Edit: is risking your console's functionality really worth it?

It won't be bricked. Generally speaking, if something goes wrong with an update that prevents the console from booting, you can restore the console using a USB drive. It's pretty hard to brick the console from software alone, much like your own PC (and for the same reasons).

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Mummy Napkin posted:

I’ve been enjoying the hell out of playing quake with m + kb on my xsex, but I can’t seem to bind a key to open the chat to give my ggs which is annoying.

Regardless, it’s awesome seeing people playing quake

Yeah that's my bad. The whole chat system kept needing constant work during the entire development, due to the EU's accessibility requirements. In the end it just wasn't ready for deployment on consoles, though I'm hoping to have time to sort it down in a patch later down the road.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Thom12255 posted:

Except if you do a dedicated server on Bedrock then Mojang tells console players to go gently caress themselves.

You can connect to a dedicated server on Xbox via LAN. The other platforms presumably blocked Mojang from even attempting this, due to the various rules in place about cross platform direct connections (or more specifically, the singular rule which is "don't").

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Relin posted:

hm mortal shell on gamepass isnt recognizing my ps4 controller

Most games won't. The PS4 controller doesn't have a native xinput driver, so you typically have to find a custom one.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

There will be a limitation with some older 360 games that bottlenecks the performance, in that the early games were designed to copy data off the DVD drive. Any game that did this prior to understanding a game could be installed to the hard-drive will have to do a redundant copy of data to the Xbox's temporary storage, which will bottleneck performance even on the Series.

At least in theory. It might be possible they moved that operation to a RAM disk with all the extra unallocated RAM.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

ChocNitty posted:

My girlfriend and I want to do online co-op with the master chief collection. Which Halo is best for co-op fun?

All of them, honestly*. However Halo Reach and ODST have firefight modes as well where you take on waves of enemies, ODSTs notably gets a lot of praise.

Just don't touch Legendary in Halo 2, where the iron skull effect is permanently active in co-op.

*Except for 4. Obviously.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Powerslave Exhumed's latest patch is now out on consoles, including the Xbox, which now has a native Xbox Series S|X build that runs at 4K120FPS (yes on both consoles).

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Is the HDMI cable that comes with the Series X good enough for a 4K TV? My apologies if this is a stupid and/or done to death question.

Yes.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Quantum of Phallus posted:

also the way you can't record voices in a video clip loving sucks

This is actually a legit technical limitation; The voice mix is done on a per user basis, you can actually have different players (in splitscreen) have different voice permissions to different players, so you hear different things. There's basically no way for the DVR to account for that because the audio has to be user independent.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

RBX posted:

I got audio fine on my clips when I made it go through the headset and speaker. This was years ago so might be different now.

Huh. So then I wonder what's up with Quantum of Phallus then. Maybe it's based on if you direct voice audio to the TV or headset. Which makes sense, the headset is a straight up different sound device the DVR won't be recording.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

adhuin posted:

Best console to have is all of them. This includes gaming PC.

Even the Ouya?

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Zat posted:

It's nuts that many TVs still have a slightly zoomed-in "overscan" mode enabled by default instead of showing the full picture.

Blame broadcast TV. A lot of channels I find still broadcast older content with the scan noise in the image intact, that parts that would be hidden by the overscan. So naturally manufacturers keep the overscan on by default least anyone complains about seeing this weird noise on the borders of the screen.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

webmeister posted:

I’ve been playing Civ 6 all day with no issues (Australia)

For some reason Civ 6 is available despite the fact I don’t own it and it’s not on GamePass

Does somebody else you know own it who may have your console set as their home console?

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Disposable Scud posted:

So uh I can just install and delete poo poo right? The SSD isn't going to eat poo poo?

Modern SSDs are designed to handle NAND cells being rewritten and replaced for a very long time, using wear levelling and a lot of reserve NAND. The lifetime on a PC is about 10 years now from casual use. Your Xbox is going to be using it far less.

Also deleting stuff by itself doesn't contribute to this, as deleting files on your average filesystem just marks the sectors as unused but leaves the actual data intact (this is why you can undelete files). It's only when new stuff is written that the data is then replaced (if it even gets back to those sectors).

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

adhuin posted:

:nice:

My only regret about my custom Yellow/Black controller, is that there isn't yellow charge-kits to go with it.
But using regular batteries is small price to pay.

The charge kits don't really conflict with any colour, though. The battery stays inside and you can just get a yellow USB C cable, the battery charges the same.
Or is this a thing where you don't know how the first party batteries charge and mistakenly got some third party after market ones? The first party batteries don't replace the door, given they charge via the controller itself through USB C.

Rocket Pan fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jun 20, 2022

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

adhuin posted:

:shrug:

I got this one:

Which looks pretty ugly on a yellow backplate.

Indeed you got the very much the wrong one.
https://www.xbox.com/en-US/accessories/batteries-chargers/play-and-charge-kit
https://www.gamestop.com/gaming-acc...t/11108370.html
First party Xbox rechargeable batteries do not replace the door, they use the controller through the USB C. That's why there's an extra set of pins in the battery enclosure.

Rocket Pan fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Jun 20, 2022

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Larry Parrish posted:

that's why it's such a loving crime that co-op and dlc etc somehow is apparently never coming

They literally just had the co-op public beta. Forge has also been leaked and even in it's incomplete form is looking vastly more complex than any Forge made before it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTW3X0JQqzk

Rocket Pan fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Aug 15, 2022

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

otter posted:

Am I dumb or are you just not able to buy the Magic the Gathering Xbox 360 games on disc or through the Xbox store? It seems like no options to buy exist but they are backwards compatible on the series x

It seems to be the case, yeah. I checked on a 360 and it's straight up removed from sale.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

BisterdDave posted:

I might be completely missing something, but how do I access the Quake 2 expansions through the game in gamepass?

So that's weird. The store page mentions they are included but I checked the files and I don't see them. I think there might be some kind of packaging error, or perhaps the store description is the thing that's wrong? May have just been copied from the old Steam one. Though for reference you use the "game" console command to switch games in vanilla Quake2 (which yes this is, it's the original Win95 executable).

Rocket Pan fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Sep 11, 2022

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Mierenneuker posted:

I imagine the Steam versions now also work without the need for a Quake 2 source port, because they didn't work by themselves a couple years ago.

Nothing has changed about binary in Quake2 on Steam. Still the same vanilla Win95 executable, much the same as the gamepass version. This works inconsistently with some systems that don't cope with old video modes.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

webmeister posted:

I'm a big fan of AOE2 but not super excited for this - I really don't see how you can play it properly on a console

Will see what happens I guess

Pro tip: You can connect a keyboard and mouse to an Xbox.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

edit: Also is the PDP Media Remote worth getting at all for BluRay's, DVD's, etc?

I actually just got this today myself. Combined with CEC it's a great way of using my TV from a single remote to run YouTube.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Well I've tried just about everything I can think of.

Anyone got a solution for a Series X not wanting to download an X360 profile and thinking it cant connect to the network while playing an X360 game?

Not personally something I've encountered, but a Google search brought up this forum post from Microsoft:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/xbox/forum/all/cant-connect-to-xbox-live-on-backwards-compatible/04d8fff7-1242-4829-820c-1df0b9f9279c posted:

When launching a 360 game on an Xbox one console, please press the Window and Menu button at the same time on the Xbox control. (start and select button)

When a 360 emulator appears on the screen press the Manage Storage option and then continue (an option appears asking if you would like to continue/yes)

Select Profiles> Find and press on the profile> delete Profile only> then Bring up emulator again> Download account<

Basically it's directing you to open the emulated 360 menu, go to it's storage manger and delete your account (just the account), then redownload the profile.

Rocket Pan fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Oct 27, 2022

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Sywert of Thieves posted:

Have you tried over WiFi, and checking the network settings? Maybe your NAT setting is wrong. I've also had a lot of trouble before I figured out that my router was blocking Toledo or something, and I needed to unblock it.

NAT is for things trying to connect to the Xbox, i.e multiplayer. Not the Xbox trying to connect to things.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

barnold posted:

You 100% need to use an app password to log into the Xbox 360 network in order to download the profile. If you haven't done that yet, that's absolutely the next thing you need to try.

The reason it can't talk to the network is because it doesn't know how to handle the authentication without an app password.

That's only relevant on the actual Xbox360. The back compat does not use the authentication system as it pulls the details directly from the host (you can't download a profile that isn't already on the Xbox One/Series).

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

I changed my username about a week ago and needed an app password to log back in and play 360 games on my Series X

barnold posted:

I had to use an app password to re-download my 360 profile on my Series X after changing my gamertag. That was about a year ago so it's possible that it changed, but I definitely had to go and put in an app password

I've been using the 360 back compat since it originally launched and between multiple consoles, and not once has it ever asked for a single authentication detail. I find you two encountering it to be extremely perplexing. However from using app passwords on the 360, I do know it will ask for it even if you haven't generated one yet, so lacking one shouldn't be producing an Xbox Live connection error in theory.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

barnold posted:

i can think of approximately 7 billion things i would rather do than post in the xbox thread to lie about having to use an app password to redownload my xbox 360 profile

I didn't say you lied, I said it was perplexing.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Ruffian Price posted:

"I don't like how my TV won't show the entire screen" followed immediately by "looks good enough to me" is some intense doublethink

It would be but these two things were said by different people.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

For however this guy looks on the outside, he's about 10 times worse to actually deal with directly and the whole reason why we had to remove the title from Steam. I can't fathom why anyone else would willingly choose to work with him outside of being complicit.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

e: wait, you work at Valve? Am i misreading that?

Ye, Nightdive. We tried relaunching it briefly after it was initially removed, but things fell apart with the license holder.

I guess I'll just pirate it and play it for a bit, or watch a LP on YouTube.

So funny thing about Keen Dreams, the Shareware version that was released is actually already the full game, and the registration was just pretty much advertisement for Softdisk. You can play the whole game in DOSBOX guilt free: https://keenwiki.shikadi.net/wiki/Keen_Dreams_Versions

Rocket Pan fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Nov 1, 2022

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Lammasu posted:

Anyway, why doesn't Microsoft release the Keen games on Xbox now that they own them?

They are currently stuck on DOS.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Lammasu posted:

They can get Doom to run on a pregnancy test, but they can't get Commander Keen to run on Xbox?

Doom has been getting ported to different platforms for years, and evidently it was designed to be portable from the start with no clever hardware tricks and very abstract input requirements.

Keen meanwhile was built entirely around Carmack showing off this neat trick he found on how to do a fast side-scrolling renderer using EGA buffer offsets and adaptive partial redrawing, and has never left its original DOS version since.

Rocket Pan fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Nov 1, 2022

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Quantum of Phallus posted:

hearing Halo Infinitr has coop now. Can I play 4 people on console????

Online only, but yes. I believe it's cross platform.
No splitscreen because seemingly 343i programmers know only how to code microtransactions now.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Arc Hammer posted:

Doom 3 has a lovely shotgun and I already own the 2016 and Eternal. Are there any of the slew of retro FPS games on game pass right now?

Doom 1/2/64 & Quake.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Yeah some devs are annoying about that. It doesn't help that cross save wasn't available on PS5 for a while so they pretty much had an excuse not to bother

Annoying is an understatement. It requires actual effort to do that, as by default any game on Xbox can just have an Xbox Series version simply just by uploading the package to it. They had to go out of their way to make a whole new title just to make them sperate.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Does that method include any ssd optimisation stuff or are load times an entirely seperate issue?
Guessing it's a separate issue. Xbox One BC has no performance caps on the series, though you won't have access to Direct Storage if that's what you mean, which yes will require a native build. You just plop the native build into the same title and the "smart delivery" just picks that build.

Pretty sure the ease of porting is why Persona 5 Royal skipped doing a native PS5 version

It's why we did Powerslave for the Series; it took me a day to compile, test it at 120hz and upload it from the same codebase.

Rocket Pan fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Feb 8, 2023

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

American McGay posted:

HITMAN on Game Pass is the World of Assassination version, which contains every level from all the games. It clocks in at 80GB.

For MCC I don’t think there’s a way on console to selectively pick which games you want before it downloads. The only way is to download the entire 120GB package. You might be able to uninstall versions you don’t want at that point, I’m not sure since I don’t have it installed. I know that’s the way it works in the PC version though.

While there's no way to do it OS side, MCC can be launched early in the download once you have the "launch chunk" (which I suspect is just the frontend), and you can thus disable the games as desired before the download has finished.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Azathoth Prime posted:

Looks like MS is nuking emulators. Farewell, Series S as an amazing retro gaming console.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2023/04/microsoft-crackdown-disables-emulators-downloaded-to-xbox-consoles/

e: It sounds like dev mode still works, but who knows how long that will last. Article has a quote from the RetroArch dev(s) throwing in the towel on Xbox.

They won't and can't remove anything from devmode by definition. This is just Windows store apps that were already being removed now just being disabled on accounts as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

BurningBeard posted:

So how does this work in practice? Pay MS, get a digital license, and basically dual boot? What else can you do with dev mode besides load emulators?

Devmode is a sandboxed area where you can run development code. So whatever you want.