Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
Yeah Mike Riley is done this year without a miracle.

Scott Frost come on down!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

iospace posted:

Cost (among other reasons).

e: to expand on that. A smaller, D-II, D-III public school costs a significant fraction of the flagship. You may not have the name recognition, but when can pay a whole year's worth of tuition for what it costs for a single semester at the flagship and get a comparable education, yeah, people will take the cheaper option, especially now that student loans are very much a thing.

e2: UW-Madison costs 25k for tuition and on campus living a year. UW-Whitewater is 14k.
Really? I don't know if things changed but Northern Arizona, Arizona, and ASU all had identical tuition when I went. Definitely not universal across states.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
Yeah, Stoops has a good game plan. Retire when you're rich, on the top, don't want to coach anymore, and with a hand-picked successor that you trust.

Probably worked out for both Stoops and Oklahoma.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
That is beyond weird.

Mike Riley got out for a reason I guess.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
I don't know if I'd like a Scott Frost hire. But this is likely to be the only year he's gonna be easy to pry away (I am sure he's not gonna be at UCF for long), so gently caress it.

Not sure there's a better candidate out there--Joe Moorhead, maybe? I'd say Ken Niumatalolo should get a look but there's no way they hire a dude that runs the flexbone in 2017, no matter how good an idea it might be.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Real Name Grover posted:

And here it is

https://twitter.com/huskerextra/status/919632888341114881

Had been at Wazzu since 2010; was at Oregon from 1995 to 2007. Anyone want to tell me how I should think about this

E: From Wiki
He hired Mike Leach

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
Nebraska fans would loving riot if they hired Leach.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

LLCoolJD posted:

Iowa has a good, stable program, but I thought that Nebraska fancied itself as a blueblood. If they were okay with endless 8- or 9-win seasons they'd have kept Solich and, later, Pelini. I figure they need someone who can fly away from the cornfields and poach some 4-star recruits. I'm not saying they will achieve this.
Nebraska's facilities and support are top-notch, some of the best in the country. Recruiting to Nebraska is hard, but it's not insanely difficult: Riley's put together top-25 classes, and so did Pelini (Riley is definitely a better recruiter, though). Kids might not remember Nebraska, but it isn't like Nebraska is impossible to recruit to: they recruit better than anyone else in the Big Ten West, by a good margin. What Nebraska needs is someone that'll actually take advantage of the talent. Winning the Big Ten West regularly shouldn't be out of the question, and what's probably more important to Nebraska fans is not being embarrassed. Bo would've probably stuck around if he hadn't made a habit of losing to Wisconsin in increasingly embarrassing ways (though his abrasive personality was clearly part of it).

Nebraska will probably never return to its former prominence, but I suspect most Nebraskans--at least from my experience--have made their peace with that. 9-10 win seasons with a breakthrough now and again would be fine.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Komet posted:

I guess Joe Moorhead's stock crashed last night
He's gonna get an HC offer or two, probably at some MAC schools, or possibly some lower-end P5 schools.

Whether he takes it is a different story, he might be wait for a bigger opportunity, since he's in a good position to wait.

But thinking that an OC's stock crashed after losing 39-38 to a top-5 team is loving hilarious.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

an adult beverage posted:

I guess I'm okay with Frost but can somebody reassure me that it isn't another potential Mac? Good OC has great offense at major program and then does well as HC at a mid-major.
Well, his lineage is Chip Kelly, which is pretty different than Saban.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
I think Matt Campbell would be a real good fit for Florida. He's got Iowa State--IOWA STATE--in the top 15! And they've beaten two TOP FIVE teams in two weeks! Say what you will about Oklahoma or TCU this year, they're legit good teams, and he's got ISU punching way above their weight there. His Toledo teams were also real good, so he's pretty solid.

If you want a more solid candidate, one with more experience, there really aren't any in college football that are likely willing to jump to Florida--the number of candidates that leave a P5 school (without being fired) for another are really low. I looked it up for the last two years and while I might have missed one, I don't think there were any. Speculation always seems to center around that, and it never happens. ISU to Florida seems like a reasonable case for it to happen (Fuente, etc. are totally unlikely for this reason).

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
:laffo:

It's gonna own when he's not coach and people lose a lot of money and rip their hair out

It'd also own if he is coach and then fails miserably, because why the gently caress do you think Gruden would be a good college coach

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
Kansas, if they want a football program that's not a dumpster fire (that doesn't mean bowling every year), they probably need to look outside the box. The hot MAC name is going to get better offers. You aren't poaching someone from a top MWC or AAC program (and you don't want their dregs). You need someone that'll bring in talent, produce watchable football, and who knows how to develop players.

I know the perfect man for the job.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Crotch Bat posted:

Quick, ask me if I'd rather be Iowa or VT this year. You think I care about lovely losses to bad teams? VT does that anyway. Iowa plays with more heart against better teams than VT ever does, that's what I loving care about seeing.

Great, take it all. Take the bowl streak, take the 10 win seasons, give me all the aches and pains you have as an Iowa fan and give me the big wins and the heart you guys pull out when the games actually matter. You think I give a gently caress about 10 win seasons?

Nothing about VT ever makes you jealous as a fan. Nobody sits down and wishes for VT's consistency. I don't care about it at all.
You're drunk dude.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Pakled posted:

Mike Leach turned Wazzu into something respectable, Les could do the same at Oregon State.
Oregon State is probably a much harder job than Wazzu. Mike Riley was a goddamn wizard.

Between 1970 and 1999, OSU had zero winning seasons. Wazzu had ten.

Ghost of Reagan Past fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Nov 7, 2017

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
Is Mike Riley still employed?

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Real Name Grover posted:

poo poo man, like 7 in 10 Nebraskans are bag men
That low, huh

just lol if you ever lived in Nebraska and weren't a bag man

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

MourningView posted:

Patterson is less realistic than even Gruden. He’s been at TCU for almost 20 years. It isn’t because he was lacking other options. They’re in a major conference now and have regularly been in playoff contention, he doesn’t have any reason to leave.
Very few P5 coaches go from one P5 gig to another without, you know, losing their job, as well. And going from the top of the Big 12 to the middle of the SEC East sounds less than appealing, especially when you've spend two decades cultivating recruiting relationships in Texas.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
E: Wrong Thread :rip:

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Ralker posted:

I think Chip could be a good college coach again, if he actually practiced what he preached. I remember him making a big deal about how his scheme would adapt to his players and emphasize their strengths and then used the same offensive scheme with Nick Foles and Demarco Murray as with Mike Vick and Lesean McCoy.

Hopefully he does coach Florida because you don’t have to be this amazing recruiter there to get talent and the college game rules are set up better to allow the hurry-up.

I liked him at Oregon but I have no idea what happened in Philly that made him think he could just do whatever game plan he wanted with whatever random players he could acquire. On the bright side his lovely NFL years were still like 8 win seasons.
In Philly he did fine, they had two 10-win seasons before the wheels fell off because Chip thought he was a good NFL personnel guy (turns out, he wasn't), and when he went to the Niners for that year, they were a roster pretty much barren of talent.

I don't think his NFL record is as awful as people say (his offenses those two successful years were pretty good), and I don't think it indicates anything about his ability to coach college.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
I think people forget how good Oregon was when he was there.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Lasagna Pilot posted:

Talent evaluation is a legitimate concern given what happened in Philly.
An NFL roster is way different from a college roster. The players he recruited and developed at Oregon went to a national championship game and won a Heisman two years later; he's surely responsible for a good deal of that roster. We have no evidence that Kelly is actually bad at talent evaluation, just at NFL roster management.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

LLCoolJD posted:

It's a season without a slam-dunk hire. Kelly and Frost seem to be the best options out there. They might not be 2005 Meyer or 2007 Saban, but most coaches aren't.
Kelly is about as close as it gets, frankly.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

MourningView posted:

He was the OC in 2007. They blew up into what we think of as Oregon football when he got there.
That was incredibly his first season as OC at the FBS level.

There's a reason he went from OC to HC almost immediately.

E: Sorry, that was his first year as any kind of coach at the FBS level.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
They should look at Ivin Jasper instead of Tee Martin, why the gently caress are you not just interviewing option guys, it's your identity?

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
I'll believe it when I see it.

I don't think you're gonna find a better coach that fits Nebraska that well on the market this year; I think the outside the box option :haw: of Ken Niumatalolo would be great, but I don't see that in the cards--just not something fans would go for, and the recruiting questions would be overwhelming (if there's one thing Riley's done well, it's recruit).

But Scott Frost would be a big get, easily the biggest name on the market and would show that Nebraska is willing and able to play with the big boys still.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

quote:

Nebraska is also considering coaches who run the triple-option, flexbone offense, specifically Navy’s Ken Niumatalolo. Sources indicate that if Nebraska approached Georgia Tech coach Paul Johnson, he would recommend Niumatalolo or Army’s Jeff Monken, both his former assistants.
Bring the flexbone unto me.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Dango Bango posted:

I thought Ken was a Navy lifer I guess. Plus, Monken turned around one of the worst programs in FBS.
Not many programs are interested in running the triple option. Navy also has a lot of money to throw at their coach, and the unique recruiting and life at a service academy is likely to scare off teams that might want to hire him otherwise--they don't know how he'd do outside that weird little bubble. There's kind of a reason there are only four programs at the FBS level running the triple option (even if it's not a truly football-related one; the triple option works and is by no means outdated)

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Joey Freshwater posted:

I dont know why you think it’s such a wild and crazy thing. He’s not 100% happy at Washington and he’s been linked to Tennessee in the past in that they’ve actually had talks before.
Yeah leave a traditional power he revived, that went to the playoffs last year in the region he's spent his entire life to go recusitate a different has been power in a place he's never lived, and oh meanwhile you have to deal with the most insane and deluded fanbase in America.

That's a few steps down, frankly, and might've made sense when he was at Boise but not at all now.

Do people really just forget that Washington is a really really good job?

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
I figured out where Tennessee fans got this.

Imagine sitting around on Thanksgiving in a house in Knoxville. You're talking about the next coach, and the college educated kid in the family pipes up: what about that Chris Patterson or whatever at Washington? There's some grumbling about how he lost to Alabama, but drunk Uncle Jimmy yells "but he beat Oklahoma!" and passes out.

This pleases the room, since Oklahoma best Alabama.

And when everyone woke up, they all remember hearing Chris Petersen rumors

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
I want Chip Kelly at Florida. I don't want Chip Kelly at UCLA, that's actually the worst thing, don't do it UCLA.

I want to watch Chip Kelly destroy defenses, but not my teams defense.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Rick posted:

UCLA autorecruits a top 3 for the conference class every year at worst no matter how bad the coach is or how little he cares about recruiting. I mean just having a coach of base competence is OP, this is extremely bad and unfair.
Luckily for everyone, UCLA doesn't care about football.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Ehud posted:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2017/11/24/chip-kelly-no-longer-candidate-opening-florida/893402001/

This story says that UCLA's Under Armour deal is actually an issue for Chip and it is not a given that he will take that job

Probably a leverage thing but lol if true

This plus the Randy Shannon thing have to be bullshit.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Kim Jong Il posted:

Literally everything you said is wrong.

My point is that they've been mediocre by norm, that's what the actual data shows. So Schiano really didn't accomplish that much on the field. He was really good at recruiting and developing players, and then kept losing games to inferior teams. I've never said they were world beaters, just that everyone who claims they're historically awful is wrong.

Flood was not a significant downgrade from Schiano on the field. It's off the field where he was probably the worst program administrator in the history of time.

For governor I wrote in "Rutgers drop football" and then Phil Murphy won, I hope he's a powerful enemy of Rutgers athletics, like I voted for.

I mean I don't know if anyone would notice, but it's the thought that counts :unsmith:

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Noctone posted:

I almost (almost) feel bad for Riley because everyone has been talking for weeks about who Nebraska might hire even though he hasn't technically been fired yet.

Surprise! Year 4 of the Mike Riley experience!

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Real Name Grover posted:

???

We've allowed 50+ points in three straight games, leading to our worst record since the Kennedy administration. Even if it's not Frost, Moos would have several months to sell a new coach to the fanbase. In what universe is that worse than keeping Riley right now? The stadium would be 60% full come September.

Riley will be gone by this afternoon.
Even if Nebraska doesn't get Frost, there are a lot of good coaches out there (hi Matt Campbell) that would do good at Nebraska that aren't Mike Riley.

Riley was fundamentally a weird choice. Not the worst of all possible choices, but so weird that three years later it still doesn't make sense to me. Basically any reasonable pick of coach will be better than Riley.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
Hiring a coach is such a crapshoot that even a "can't miss" coach can gently caress up.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Dango Bango posted:

I'd prefer keeping Mike Riley to hiring Bert. I want NOTHING to do with him.
I think the only people mentioning him are people that think Nebraska needs to emulate Iowa and Wisconsin, because, well,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WO-QTJer3vU

They don't realize that Nebraska outrecruits the rest of the division pretty easily and just needs some competent coaches--the collapses under Pelini make me think that he wasn't a great coach, and he still won 9-10 games a season.

EDIT: NO, Mike Leach. I like the dude as a coach but he'd be a HORRIBLE personality fit at Nebraska. gently caress that, it'd be miserable for all parties regardless of winning.

Ghost of Reagan Past fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Nov 25, 2017

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Rick posted:

Unless it's like a situation where he doesn't give a gently caress about football anymore or something I just don't see how it goes wrong.
It's either going to end in national titles or another show-cause.

He even gets to do it all out of the spotlight, what the gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
:laffo: Returned to the US, caught up on Tennessee :laffo:

Glad they've now poisoned themselves for any coach with other options, great job, can't wait to see what hilarious poo poo they get up to this week.

• Locked thread