Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.
Yes but you get so much gauge it's wasteful. You don't need Sheltron THAT goddamn much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

how competitive is the crafted 320 right side for tanks? you leave 2 strength on the table but i like to imagine that gets made up in substats if you pentameld?

Pentamelded 320 right side (STR in the normal slot, DH in the overmelds) is BiS for all tanks.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

WrightOfWay posted:

Making enmity actually matter for once is super cool and I hope they do it more in the future.

As a non-raider I'd like to see enmity matter more in all content so I don't feel like I'm being told to take Shield Oath off my bar.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

Only if you're transferring from a congested one.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

You Are Not Overpowering Enough

This. Prior to the 4.01 enmity patch I actually quit playing Warrior because of how TP negative it is and I never saw a Goad or Tactician once despite losing aggro due to not being able to Overpower.

ilifinicus posted:

paladin is the tank that needs goad the most, not warrior

both do really want goad tho, because spamming aoe is more damage than single target when doing Real Pulls

No, Warrior wants it more. Overpower is more TP than Total Eclipse and once a Warrior runs out of TP there's legitimately nothing they can do but sit on their rear end while Paladin can be tossing out Holy Spirit or at least Flash.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

kojei posted:

Lakshmi and Susano to a slightly lesser extent are both braindead. Please note this probably means that most people are incapable of performing the few rudimentary tasks necessary to succeed.

All true but PF still can't do them lol.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

WHY ARE PEOPLE SO BAD ;_;

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

Griz posted:

it's a 5 minute parse with a Mor Dhona npc in the background so I assume it's the last boss only. everyone has lovely parses on that because the boss goes away for so long, but one dps doing twice as much as the other is really bad, and so is that healer dps.

And yet I did nearly double the Ninja and I'm hardly a Bard expert. :shrug: But you're right that is just the final boss.

Also 4 Churn phases.

Saint Freak posted:

Desperado is cooler-looking than Bladedance anyways

:agreed:

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

I like to Sharpcast when refreshing AF with Fire 1 so that I have a quick panic refresh button in case Thundercloud decides to proc during my second set of Fire 4s.

I dunno if that's optimal or not but I find it works very well.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

Arist posted:

DRK AoE at max level loving owns

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

Arist posted:

It's not just the damage, mind. It's that you have like 4 buttons that are all amazing in how stupid they are. Blackest Night whenever to refill the Blood Gauge for Quietus every 15 seconds, hit Blood Price and get Salted Earth up for even more Quietus, and spam the poo poo out of Dark Arts'd Abyssal Drain to refill your health as the mass of enemies tries in vain to deplete it. Who the hell needs cooldowns?

You did see that HPS right?

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

Thundarr posted:

So apparently I misunderstood what the new targetting option actually does. The problem now is that I can't actually figure out what the mechanical difference between Ignore Depth and Cone targetting is.

Regardless of which is set, and no matter the camera angle or distance to target, when I press X I will target the thing my character is pointed at. This is.. not what I had hoped for. Where is the actual "target closest goddamn thing" option, yoship?

On a controller? Either Trigger+R1. That's what simulates the Tab targetting of the keyboard.

Worth noting that Cone is a cone in front of your characters face, so it can be a bit hard to work with in the Legacy movement scheme.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

slev posted:

Spire me

This but unironically

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

vOv posted:

(The arrow keys seem to just move the camera for me, unfortunately.)

Try the arrows on the Numpad.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

WrightOfWay posted:

The problem with the Omega fights is that FF5 had pretty forgettable music outside of Battle on the Big Bridge.

Fite me.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I was on a hiatus for a few months after the last major patch and just came back to level Red Mage and poo poo and it's been real fun. I never got a house during the patch release rush so I wasted invested my money elsewhere.

Elsewhere being a shiny Rapier of the Fiend for like 7.5m.

I think it was well worth it. I'm prime grade Castlevania villain now.

I have no idea what you're wearing but I need it so please tell me.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

My search comment has been "#DeleteProtect" since Stormblood launched.

I still wait for it as a tank and use it as a healer (via swap macro) so pubbies don't whine at me though. Actively fighting that mentality was a losing battle before the drat game came out.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

Chaos has always been around but for a long time it was in Canada with the NA servers despite being billed as EU. It's since been moved to Germany I think. It also got two new servers added around Stormblood's launch, Omega and Louisoix.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

Coughing Hobo posted:

Consider this: at level 70 Warrior gets to go to buzzsaw city for like 15 seconds

And it's surprisingly unfun because Fell Cleave just doesn't feel special or powerful anymore.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

jalapeno_dude posted:

So my WHM is now at 57. Enjoying the game of casting as few healing spells and as many Holys as possible (and it doesn't hurt that Holy has the best sound effect in the game). I think I've mostly got the hang of it, but a few questions:

1. Under what circumstances should I use Cure III? I guess in principle the answer is when I can save a GCD by using it instead of Cure II and then Medica (II), but that seems like a really niche case.
2. Similarly, is there ever any reason to use Medica rather than Medica II?
3. Should I be using Assize on cooldown, or saving it for moments when I need the MP, or something else?
4. When is the correct time to slap a Regen on the tank? I've generally been doing it as they pull since doing it any earlier would waste HoT ticks. But occasionally this leads to me grabbing aggro from the tank. Should I be worried about that?

1. Stack mechanics are a prime time to use Cure III, otherwise you're generally better off with Medicas.
2. Cost and time. Medica is way cheaper to cast than Medica 2. So learning when you can Medica instead of Medica 2 and get basically the same results will help you a lot in terms of MP efficiency. Also if you need to top people up quickly two Medicas will heal more in that span of time that Medica 2 will.
3. On Cooldown unless the boss can't be hit.
4. When they stop. If you really need to spot heal them while they're pulling then use Tetra (You'll get it at 60) or, dare I say, Swiftcast a Cure 2. And then yell at them to Sprint when pulling if they didn't.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

Choyi posted:

I assume it may have to do with that copper HM is one of the more unpopular dungeons where many people just drop out as soon as they get it in the 50-60 roullete, it is a kinda lovely dungeon after all so.

Really? I mean it's not the greatest dungeon but there are many dungeons at L50 that I dislike more than Copperbell Hard that actually getting that dungeon in the roulette seems like a breath of fresh air to be honest.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

Ifrit bleeds we can kill it. :allears:

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

Ibblebibble posted:

I actually quite like the Stormblood leitmotif :(

I legitimately love it and as much as I love Revenge Twofold and Fractal Hard, I actively dislike fighting Ultima Beast because it doesn't play SB's boss theme. No other reason.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

You Fire 2 until you're around 20% MP then you Flare and transpose and Flare.

After 60 you do Fire 4s unless there's at least 4 enemies.

After 68 you blow only two umbral hearts on F2/4 and then you Flare twice and transpose and Flare etc.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

People are bad at Symond because the DPS don't kill adds so they die and tanks think they have to run through the crystal field to the adds and pick them up which just causes them to explode and kill everybody when really they should stay put and let the DPS kill them. Leads to like 500% less outgoing damage in the fight.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

Literally the only thing that could make books tolerable is to remove Fates and Leves. Fighting specific mobs or doing specific dungeons is literally nothing compared to just getting specific fates or even leves to spawn.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

I don't think I've ever seen someone say that Flash feels better to use than Unleash before.

It's true though.

E:Added quote because new page.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

Chucat posted:

How do you know when to get out of the aoe when the castbar/marker is invisible then? How do you know when the grace period ends?

Is there even a dodgeable mechanic in this game that doesn't have one of these two things? I can't think of a single one.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

Cythereal posted:

Speaking of old dungeons, I've never completed a regular mode of Pharos Sirius. Y'see, the first boss spawns very dangerous adds at set health intervals. Modern players being geared as they are, you go from pulling to being buried under torrents of adds in the blink of an eye. I've yet to find a group capable of restraining their dps enough to do the fight as intended and not get buried under massive waves of adds.

What I find wipes people there is tanks insisting on running through the crystal field to grab the adds when really it seems the intentiion in that while the crystal field is up everyone parks their butt and kills whatever they can reach. YOu'll end up with more stacks running through the crystal than you would if the DPS being targetted just focuses down the add.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

Vermain posted:

The real reason not to spam Total Eclipse, ignoring total potencies, is because not a single loving melee DPS in either 4-mans or 8-mans knows what Goad is.

And this may or may not have something to do with the fact that not a single loving tank knows what Total Eclipse or Overpower are.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

Vermain posted:

I hit Total Eclipse on 3+ packs until I'm at 0 TP in every dungeon from Dzemael onwards and I can count the number of times I've been Goaded or Tactician'd on one hand.

I mean, same, but then when I go and play Dragoon or something I keep waiting for people's TP to get to the point of needing Goad (I would think around the 2/3rds full mark) and it NEVER EVER HAPPENS.

I've just resigned to the fact that I can't win.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Even story Thordan was fraught with peril. Who knew that people couldn't understand that you could stand in between the slices of the cone aimed at the party? Or that if you were already spread out when chains were applied, you were hosed because you had nowhere to go to break them?

Also, yes, double-bladedance vaporizing tanks..... until tanks started puling both greedily and using their "I can't die" skill.

The fight is a light show and nothing more, what the gently caress are you talking about.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

Once you've collected enough cards you can have as many 3 stars in your deck as you want. 4s and 5s remain one of though.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

Is this the thing I get from these beast tribe dailies?

Yeah you do get poetics from pre-SB beast tribes. In piddling amounts generally but they're there.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

EGSunBro posted:

Fact: All Roes are chill and really good at the game and incredibly pretty

Man I wish I could agree with this but any male Roe DPS I meet single targets and tanks don't know how to hold aggro and show up in Ala-Mhigo in NQ white left side.

Never met a femroe in game.

Rosalind posted:

FFXI didn't allow male catpeople. That was maybe the right decision in retrospect (although their Roe equivalent could only be male, which is the absolute wrong decision).

Wasn't all of this true in FF14 1.0 as well? On top of there not actually being female highlanders?

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

Rainuwastaken posted:

Pfft, Warframe's RNG is fine. See, this whip has a 500% chance to crit every time I swing it. Consistency!

Wait wha? What does that even mean? :pwn:

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

Kuvo posted:

smn_in_exdr.jpg

edit: to actually answer your question, SMN is king poo poo of AOE mountain, decent single target dps, more mobile than red mage (you technically only need to stand still once every 2 mins for the hardcast Miasma III), has good utility (rez, devotion, awful physick) and sweet horn hats

8k? That's it?

Man I love and main SMN but calling it king poo poo of AoE mountain is disingenuous when Black Mage pulls this poo poo off. A well played SMN beats the poo poo out of BLM on single target though and actually brings raid utility so it is the superior choice for 8 man content. Also learning fights on BLM is pretty miserable.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I’m glad my friends and I got back into this game after stopping just before the finale of the original story. If I’m at the snowcloak dungeon now, how far off is Heveansward content ?

You're over the hump for sure but there's still a little ways to go yet. Soon you'll fight Shiva and even after that there will be another dungeon and another two trials to do before you reach ARR's final finale.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

Philonius posted:

I'm still at level 13 since I quit Anemos in disgust. I sure as poo poo can't be arsed to catch up now.

:same: Diadem 2.0 was legitimately more fun, even if it wasn't THAT fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Suzaku EX is the second easiest primal fight in the game.

Considering Laksmi, Susano, Byakko, Bismarck, and Ravana are all easier at sync, uh no.