Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

I preordered and can't play until tomorrow but the anger in this thread was worth the cost of the preorder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Minrad posted:

Players in queue: 404. made me chuckle

Mine says the same thing

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

8-Bit Scholar posted:

2,476 person queue

what is going on with this game

A lot of people are trying to play it

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Minrad posted:

just be online and ready to get past the quest when they undo the locks once every 26 hours, i don't see the problem. square is being quite generous.

Except it seems like it has been (mostly) fine for the last 2 hours. Maybe it is just fixed?

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

kaempfer0080 posted:

Not sure what changed but when I logged in today I got through Raubahn and Pippin with no issues.

My guess is that all the backend developers that everyone said were doing nothing were actually doing something

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Holyshoot posted:

and they remain silent because?

Because it is still broken just less so. It still took me 3 tries to get through Pippin this morning, but at least I was able to get through it.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Thumbtacks posted:

well this is a new one

HELP

I got that earlier, just restart

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

I use this keyboard and it works pretty good https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Desktop-MK120-Mouse-keyboard/dp/B003NREDC8/
v:)v

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Legin Noslen posted:

"... you will be able to login more quickly if you continue to wait instead of cancelling your queue."

Yeah, thanks for the loving tip Einstein.

This isn't even true, you don't lose your place in line when you cancel

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

strong bird posted:

It's weird. I logged in, downloaded a patch and then launched the game, but I didn't have a letter in my mailbox containing compensation for the 3 days the servers weren't working. Anyone else encounter this bug?

The servers were up almost the entire time so you probably aren't going to get anything

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Is Monk really bad at PVP or am I really bad at PVP?

The answer is probably me or both

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Minrad posted:

Ah, Palace of the Dead... some say it drives men crazy. Others say it drives men to drink. Still, others say even stranger things...

I voted not to dismiss him to see if the meltdown could progress further but I guess it only takes two votes.

That guy seemed completely reasonable and the other two were being dicks

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I think I'm done with this game till the lag spikes are finished. It seriously ruins trying to play any class when you spike and miss a combo because an earlier hit didnt register on the server, your dual cast is wasted on a jolt because your other spell didnt pop off, you lose your grease lightning because you stood there for 7 seconds without doing anything.

source your quotes.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

The fights are cool and fun so I'm pretty happy with Omega

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

something i have learned playing dps is that a lot of people are godawful at dpsing.

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

that was me and i don't spam doom spike because it's boring as hell and i'd rather enjoy my game than optimize dps on darkhold trash pulls, especially when the only non-crystal double-pull that happened was an accident.
:ironicat:

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I'd be interested to know how you can be bad enough to screw up at Titan Hard these days. My bet is on the OP cleaving the entire raid.

I spent about 45 minutes trying to pass Titan NORMAL a few weeks ago because the healer had a bad ping and refused to stand anywhere but the edge of the arena. Even after I put down a marker directly behind the boss and said "Stand there and don't move"

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

cheetah7071 posted:

Mindjack is finicky as gently caress in O3S. Though it's now the only mechanic I still can't do consistently. Progress!

Is there any visual indicator of where to stand that makes you actually be far enough away after mindjack resolves?

e: it occurs to me that this would probably be easier if I tried to run parallel to the edge of the squares, rather than diagonally.

I just stand a little inside the aoe marker and point diagonally. I usually stop just right but occasionally have to make small adjustments.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

ilifinicus posted:

I need an interface thing telling me which sen I have and how much kenki

said interface does not need to be larger than the minimap

You can shrink the interface :ssh:

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Unless you are raiding materia really isn't going to be that important even at 70

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

I think I finally got gud

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Use Meikyo on cooldown to get an extra Midare out, don't use it to get buffs up. Ideally you put up Yukikaze then Meikyo->Gekko->Kasha->Kaiten->Midare->Gekko/Kasha (depending on which buff has more time), but make sure Shiten and Jinpu aren't going to fall off during all that.

Most of the time I end up doing something like Midare->Meikyo->Gekko->Kasha->Yuki->Kaiten->Midare->Whichever combo has the shorter buff time left which is less optimal but harder to gently caress up

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Thundarr posted:

One thing I haven't decided on is whether or not using Meikyo to put up buffs during a trash pull is a good idea or if it should just be used for Even More AOE. Since trash pulls don't really matter anyway it isn't that big of a deal either way though.

I read somewhere to do Meikyo->Jinpu->Oka->Mangetsu->Kaitan->Tenka so that's what I've been doing. It works well enough that I haven't bothered trying other stuff

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

ruta posted:

As someone with arthritis issues, I'd really love if they gave the option to combine my combos so I could reclaim some keybinds and reach less. Playing melee is pretty hard on my hands compared to, say, BLM. But I honestly like playing DRG the most. It's a shame I can't play the job I like the most because some people seem to think that combining the melee combo somehow distracts from what makes the job fun.

I was getting RSI symptoms in my left hand from playing this dumb game, so I bought this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00RH6R7C4/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
and set up the top right button as Ctrl and the button below that as Alt and another button as Shift so I didn't have to reach with my pinkie to hit those all the time. Then I also bind a few skills to the rest of the buttons. This has improved my comfort hitting all my buttons considerably.

My left hand just does movement and hits 1->2->3 and occasionally 4 and 5.

This setup has worked for me with MNK and SAM

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Haquer posted:

I mean, that would've been cool but I had 1 more second on Plunge coming off CD as I was running up to the boss and then he darts forward and hits it so I'm like "cool guy"

You were running up to the boss and he mistimed his samurai shoulder tackle? Good thing you taught him a lesson.

If I'm a dps and the tank starts moving I try to time it so I hit the boss at the same time the tank does with their shield lob move thing. Sometimes I'm a hair early. I've never had a tank throw a hissy fit about it though.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Haquer posted:

No he turned sprint on and ran up to it so he wanted to tank

I pop sprint and run up to it when I don't have the kenki to shoulder tackle. It usually makes the timing work out better because I can leave after the tank and get there around the same time.

Any time you're trying to teach someone a lesson you're probably just being an rear end in a top hat and nobody is learning a lesson other than that you're an rear end in a top hat.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Haquer posted:

The one before yojimbo, the one I never use cooldowns on and stay out of grit because it does gently caress all damage.

You weren't in tank stance so the dps obviously thought you didn't want to tank and was trying to teach you a valuable lesson

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Mr. Nice! posted:

This is sadly what ends up happening in a lot of my DF groups :smith:

Also if you're a goon on excal don't buy poo poo off the MB unless it's dirt cheap just ask a goon to craft it for you.

Ignore this and keep buying the things I'm selling please

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Had a Red Mage just now in Shisui complain that i shouldn't be stance swapping because he kept ripping aggro off me in Deliverance. Once i told him i'm going to keep doing it because i like to do damage, he spent the entire next pull AFK typing out some long diatribe on how it's a leveling dungeon and it doesn't matter and i should learn how to "weave" Overpower into my DPS The pull he sat out was slightly slower, but suddenly there were no issues, no problems with the ninja or the healer taking aggro at all.

Why he waited until the last pull before the final boss is a bit of a mystery to me. Correct me if i'm wrong but it seems like just randomly throwing in overpowers while in Deliverance is a bit of a waste since aggro gain sucks dick while you're in Deliverance and that is time that is better spent Fell Cleaving/Decimating.

Your job is to do the maximum amount of DPS you can while keeping aggro. If a DPS steals aggro from you it is your fault and you should fix it

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Ainsley McTree posted:

Is that more or less right? I seem to remember someone in the thread saying ages ago that it's actually better to just spam Shinten/Kyuten as you can, but that didn't sound right to me at the time because Kaiten gives you more potency per Kenki point, if I'm doing my math right. But I forgot to ask at the time.
Use Shinten as you can, but if you're about to get a Midare or Higanbana make sure you have enough Kenki for Kaiten. At 70 you can get to 20 Kenki for Kaiten with 1 Gekko/Kasha combo. With Yukikaze you need 5 in the bank before the combo.

quote:

Also, should I be popping 3-star Hagakure every time it's off cooldown? At 40 seconds, it seems like it's off cooldown an awful lot and I end up not using my Iaijutsus as often as I was accustomed to pre-68, but if someone tells me that it's ultimately more dps to use it nonstop then I'll believe them.
Yes, Shinten spam is more potency than Midare. You get 60 Kenki from Hagakure that you can use on oGCD instead of needing a 1.7ish cast time for Midare. Use Hagakure with 3-Sen every time it is on cool down.

quote:

Also also, in an AOE situation, should I be keeping my Jinpu buff up (even though it means doing a single target rotation when there's 4+ enemies in front of you, which *feels* wrong) or is it better to just launch straight into your AOE rotation and not bother with it?
Meikyo->Jinpu->Oka->Mangetsu

quote:

furthermore, gently caress trying to remember the names of these abilities if you don't know japanese. it took me 5 hours to write this post
It gets a little better, but not much, I had to switch to SAM and hover over the abilities to write this post

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Foreskin Problems posted:

Is there a website that tells you what amount of a stat to shoot for as a class? I just hit 65 on my first class and want to be prepped for picking up upgrades. Also I didn't see this in the past couple of pages.

It doesn't matter until you hit 70 and then it doesn't matter very much unless you are raiding, just get the highest ilvl equipment you can get for your class

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Fister Roboto posted:

Well fortunately for non-idiots, not goading someone is a very easily solvable problem.

you don't pay my sub

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Why would you want two characters when you can do everything on one?

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Alloran posted:

Been playing through, really liking it. Upgraded CNJ to WHM recently. Is there ever any reason to go back to CNJ?

Not since they changed cross class abilities and you can't use provoke anymore

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Luna Was Here posted:

Alright, so I knew I missed dun scaith but when the gently caress did weeping city get put into the game? Did HW have two 24 mans?

HW had three 24 mans

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

I kinda feel like I need to switch back to Monk so that I can properly punch a train

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

I think in terms of early gen games FFVI holds up extremely well. Great music, great ensemble cast, the battle system is pretty indistinguishable from VII except no limit breaks (kinda... they exist but you'll probably never see them). It was an extremely ambitious game for the SNES and it was pulled off really well.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

I love Monk, it's rhythmic, fast and its combos aren't as rigid as some other dps and picking your next attack and matching it with the right position adds some flavor. AoE situations have an added element as well because your 4 AoE attacks are split between cones and circular attacks so you are dancing with the pack and the tank, jumping in and out to line up your next shot. There is just a layer of jank to some skills that doesnt need to be there and has been there for a long, long time.

Monk owns and is a ton of fun but constantly having to move and attack at the same time gives me RSI pain :(

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

cheetah7071 posted:

Assuming they follow the usual pattern, the lock will be lifted in 4.3

Given that the Savage drop cap was dropped already and 4.2 is going to immediately make Rab equipment irrelevant it would be pretty silly for them to keep it capped. I'm pretty sure the CT drop cap was dropped in the patch prior to WoD, so that would correspond to dropping the Rab cap in 4.2

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

The biggest perk of not owning a house is that I've never gotten up early just to buy a house and I never will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

TFRazorsaw posted:

does anyone know a guide for how to play/learn MNK that assumes you're level 70? A friend of mine is 52 and he could use some help.

The basic guide to playing MNK is
1 2 3
^1 ^2 ^3
1 2 ^3
^1 ^2 3
1 2 ^3
^1 ^2 ^3
repeat

1 2 3 is you the rear combo
^1 ^2 ^3 is the flank combo
It is basically just alternating the combos but you only do demolish every 3rd combo.

Always do positionals

Press your other buttons on cooldown.
That'll take you to 70 and beyond then you can start worrying more about openers and optimizing the rotation if you do raid tier stuff