Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

14", you're the man, and if your route to Denver takes you through Albuquerque, there's a spare bedroom here (I haven't told my wife the full 14" tale so she'd probably be ok with it). We've got good beer, good food, and a reasonably entertaining minor league baseball team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

How much water are you drinking? Not energy drinks, actual legit water.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

DICK DEFECTOR

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Applebees Appetizer posted:

you gotta find someone to help you, then it's just trying to get them off without hurting them.

You are familiar with 14"s... proclivities, right?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

ausgezeichnet posted:

Gets my vote for the lulz.

It's all fun and games until Dick decides to take a nap in the back and gets locked in.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

DICK DICER posted:

Home until March I guess.

Make this the year of Dick, ok? Stay there till March assuming it's not draining your finances (are they paying you, or just giving you a room?), maybe do the job in Maine after because that sounds awesome... nail those itchy feet to the floor if it'll keep you somewhere stable for a while. It's fun watching Dickventures but that $10k won't last super long without supplemental income (planned clothes and boot purchases sound likely to be on the higher side of $500) and I've seen from these threads how much you hate having to depend on goonerosity, so here's hoping all prospective and current jobs go well!

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Don Dongington posted:

Ford aren't exactly known for building durable small cars anymore. At least the Mazda interiors don't look like they were designed for a 5 year old to operate.

Where does Ford enter into the discussion of Mazda vs. Honda?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

um excuse me posted:

Don't these cars have tow ratings?

Not in the US they don't, but in Europe the exact same model of car is somehow qualified to tow 1500 lbs or so.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I want to ride eternal on Krome Avenue

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Are those canoes in the background? gently caress yeah, stay there forever, canoes kick rear end.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I'd offer to make you a good deal on my Volvo 164 but the gas consumption isn't compatible with frugal living... you'd be better off with a Crown Vic

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

If you meet the Beetle on the road, kill it.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

My neighbor is selling a really nice-looking Winnebago that's big but not as massive as some you see, but it's probably past the budget :/

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Dannywilson posted:

I vote for Jean Claude drat Van

:randpop:

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

DICK DICER posted:

I figure something I can grow into

I think your dad probably already has a ride picked out for you:

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

iwentdoodie posted:

Dave transformed into Rhea Butcher.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought "40 year old lesbian" :haw:

Honestly though Dave, you're looking really healthy these days, and it's great.

Edit: I just got back from Miami Beach and that place sucks, gently caress off Florida.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I've not had too much trouble with wind on my 2010 Bonneville, even on day-long and multiday trips. It came with a little Dart flyscreen which may be doing more than I realize, but otherwise that's it. I did have a 30 minute stretch on I-5 in California where the crosswind was so severe I had to put a pretty serious pitch on the bike, but otherwise it's not the wind that gets me, it's just tired legs and rear end. I tend to go around 80-85 on the freeway, though, which may be slower than some of you are used to (gently caress speeding tickets).

The bike came with a steel luggage rack mounted behind the seat and that's been fantastic for motorcycle camping, plus it keeps my saddlebags a little further out from the side of the bike. Highly recommended if you get a bike that's suitable for one.

There was also a Corbin seat on when I bought it, but I swapped back to the stock seat because I'm vain and think the stock seat looks better. The Corbin is a lot more comfortable, though, and now that I'm the ripe old age of 30 I'm considering putting it back.

Sweet Christ, I just realized I bought that bike over 6 years ago.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Also, note the instant pot being used behind the beans. Cooking 2 pounds of rump roast to use for barbacoa tacos while gf is here (we're both from the same hometown, so obviously we both love tacos). Should look about like my dinner the other night, except with a lot more meat.

I've kind of been checked out of AI for a while but when did you get a girlfriend? I thought you were a rump roast only kind of guy...

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Memento posted:

Can you spoon gazpacho soup into your maw?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Seminal Flu posted:

5 years from now you'll still have teeth, so... welp.

Well you say that now...

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Leperflesh posted:

Rural Nevada is chock full of misfits and ne'er-do-wells living in trailers surrounded by sprawling acreage strewn with rusting projects, and has the added benefits of not getting blizzards (a dusting of snow in the winter is about it), being within a day's drive of California, and instead of cows the main employment is in the mining sector, which is equally awash in big steel contraptions what need welding on regularly.

e. Actually, most of oregon and washington east of the cascades is basically the same poo poo, albeit with marginally more rain and substantially higher taxes, but also probably marginally more available social services. And less mining and more cows.

But I've spent some time out in the middle of Buttfuck Nowhere, NV and it's beautiful, soul-cleansing, quiet, and very very much a culture of "let people do their thing and stay out of their business."

Eastern Washington, in the Columbia Basin Project area (a good-sized region centered around Moses Lake) has small towns, farm work, welding jobs, and not too much meth. Good Mexican food too. Personally, I'd probably choose to live in Ephrata and commute to a welding/mechanic job in Moses Lake, or else find work on one of the many farms in the region. A moderately-sized farm operation will have lots of equipment which means a lot of maintenance and repairs; repair jobs often starts with a 4-hour round trip to pick up the part you need, which gives you an opportunity to get off your feet, listen to some music, and absorb the scenery. When you're not fixing tractors, there's fences to build, water lines to set, etc. Consider cattle work, too, because that's more of a year-round job while farming can be pretty quiet in the winter depending on the farm; I think El Oro is the big operation in that region.

It's about 3 hours to Seattle, a bit under 2 hours to Spokane, and only a bit more than an hour down to the Tri-Cities. If you're in Ephrata, though, and need to do some city shopping, Wenatchee is only an hour away and is quite pleasant. Wenatchee is renowned for its apples, but as I understand it an apple orchard tends to need a couple people year-round and then a shitload of temp workers for harvest, so there's probably not a ton of steady work in that.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

MA-Horus posted:

I hear the Hanford superfund site is lovely this time of year.

There's boat tours up the river along Hanford and it's super cool. The Columbia is a beautiful river (and the places I suggested are upstream from Hanford)

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

FBS posted:

/o/ still has pinned the giant shitpost I wrote ten years ago about not buying an I4 as your first motorcycle and despite the outdated model nomenclature I still stand by that advice

just get an SV650 or something

Hey my first bike was an I4 and I didn't die

1982 Suzuki GS650GL, $250. Sold it for $700, the buyer brought a friend who later turned out to be a goon but I didn't know that at the time.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

COOL DICK LUKE posted:

Well yeah, but none of that really applies to me for the following reasons:

1)

don't post the thought processes / entire mental state of the first-bike literbike buyer

Edit: well, I guess it should be 1) Enlistment bonus, dudes!

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

COOL DICK LUKE posted:

I appreciate my brother's GTI. I guarantee the guy two stop lights ahead of me is able to hear every word of Durst's Behind Blue Eyes with perfect clarity

You're a loving monster.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

COOL DICK LUKE posted:

Online kept telling me not accepting appointments at this time, the walk ins are not appointments they're idiot hell fuckers who just wanna pop in and grab a number real quick, i already checked online wait times and this location was the shortest wait time outside of loving Livermore, and I dont even see anybody behind the loving counter now to boot

Livermore doesn't have a DMV, or at least they didn't when I lived there a couple years back. Pleasanton has one, and it's hell. I went a few times and even with an appointment it's a poo poo-show, assuming they have any appointments available--there were at least 2 occasions when I needed to register a new vehicle purchase, and you get 2 weeks to do that, and there weren't any appointments available for the next two weeks in Pleasanton.

Tracy DMV was my go-to. Not that much longer of a drive than Pleasanton and they usually had appointments open. It's a relatively new building that's reasonably easy to get to from the freeway, and I don't think I ever spent longer than 20 minutes there from walking in the door to walking out.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Another entry in my long list of reasons never to move back to CA.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Thought of you, Dick:

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Applebees Appetizer posted:

It's pizza here in Florida. I have been here 25+ years and not one motherfucker can come up with an exceptional pizza joint. You know it's bad when you're settling for Papa John's....I mean their thin crust pizza is better than anything these local fucks can come up with, after spending lots of time in Boston and having amazing pizza I have come to the conclusion that it's just never going to happen because nothing is even close.

Got a couple of great pho and ramen places, and lots of good greek places too with excellent Gyros and greek salads.....But can someone PLEASE move down from the northeast and make something of an effort to produce good pizza? gently caress. That is all.

I'm not trying to be that guy, but you can legit make drat good pizza at home. The key for me was getting my crust stretching right, specifically after watching this episode on my local PBS station:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thsbAOsbpek

(the audio's all hosed up, but the important thing is the technique)

There's a part 1 too that talks about preparing the dough, but I found forming it the hard part. Before I started doing it this way, my crusts were always really funky-shaped, overly puffy, overly chewy. Now they're fantastic, especially if I let the dough sit in the fridge overnight.

Sauce: just drain a can of tomato chunks and blend it up.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

INCHI DICKARI posted:

So we have new web within an hour of parking it and tremek is doubling down on the idea that he can poison a black widow successfully

When I saw a black widow under the Datsun, I just hosed the fucker down with the poo poo I spray along the outside of door frames and such to keep cockroaches out. I was thinking of you when I did it. It died, I found its corpse.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Tremek posted:

All signatures and forms have a green sticky

well yeah, you said Dave's got them, I have no doubt they're sticky

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

rndmnmbr posted:

Jesus Tremek, you couldn't have copied the Mafia playbook any better. "You'se gonna sell me the car, see, and sell it to me right, or I'ma gonna send my friend Fourteen Inch Dave down, see, and he's gonna change your mind for you."

Mighty nice bathroom ya got here, wouldn't want anything to happen to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

INCHI DICKARI posted:

On four seperate occasions in three seperate states, yes. And it doesnt matter how relevant a message is if I just flat out do not find it enjoyable to listen to on some level, so, moot point

unironically ironically unironically playing and singing really badly, to own... George Bush, last I checked?

• Locked thread