Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

salartarium
Sep 7, 2021
I hope all the hostages are quickly rescued, quite a sticky situation to be in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

salartarium
Sep 7, 2021

smarxist posted:

the land set aside for agriculture in barren desert

Completely tangental, but modern agriculture is crazy and there are a bunch a common crops that only grow in the desert. Like almonds. Normally, there’s only a scattering of trees in nature, but with irrigation people have lined up trees in industrial operations.

salartarium
Sep 7, 2021

Too Many Birds posted:

tehran is surrounded by mountains it would be an extremely difficult city to attack

Didn’t Iraq kill thousands in Tehran in the War of the Cities? Granted Israel doesn’t have any real bombers like Saddam did.

salartarium
Sep 7, 2021

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

Probated for truth

Sometimes, this small stuff is very effective. I was flabbergasted at how outlandish Shen Yun was with their political hot takes, but it was a very impressive production and all the song and dance put for a presentable facade to their anti communist-religious cult stuff.

salartarium
Sep 7, 2021

Chillgamesh posted:

Looks like an IDF Thirst Trap Influencer (:whitewater:) got gibbed by a Soldier of Allah

She seems to still be posting on TikTok as of 3 hours ago.

salartarium
Sep 7, 2021

Al-Saqr posted:

lol israeli channel 13 announces that hamas managed a navy seals landing in aashkelon overnight without being detected lol DTI

I wonder where the breakdown is happening in Israeli reconnaissance. Did they get fleeced by some tech bro that said they could replace recon flights and patrols with ring cameras? I have heard there was a breakdown between Shin Bet and Mossad over the Abraham accords and normalizing relations with other countries plus discord over the judicial reforms.

I also would have thought the US military would have put a lot more eyes on the area by now.

salartarium
Sep 7, 2021

Raccooon posted:

In this comparison, does Coachella happen right outside of a concentration camp?

For the record the Cabazon reservation is right there.

salartarium
Sep 7, 2021

I think Ja addressed people like LeBron weighing in the best.

https://www.tmz.com/2023/10/11/ja-rule-drake-dj-khaled-dj-vlad-israel-hamas/

salartarium
Sep 7, 2021
I’m currently reading The Palestine Laboratory: How Israel Exports the Technology of Occupation Around World by Antony Loewenstein. I’m questioning a lot of things in the book and the author’s qualifications to speak about them.

I do see how Israel how a well oiled machine with dealing with incidents such as this and how their connection with law enforcement agencies around the world can serve as a back channel propaganda tool as so many law enforcement types are trained to think like the Israeli’s and view things the same. It is also giving me interesting perspectives on how BLM is responding to this publicly as I didn’t see the connection between the George Floyd murder and Israel’s training of law enforcement.

salartarium
Sep 7, 2021

err posted:

Israel has 400 nukes? Lol

Often forgotten when talking about Israel is that they are not party to the Chemical Weapons Convention and likely has a stockpile of chemicals and delivery systems.

salartarium
Sep 7, 2021

PawParole posted:

the great author Isaac Asimov 40 years ago.

The tv show The Foundation on Apple TV+ is great. The themes in the show feel relevant to the issues today and it’s the best produced Sci Fi show I’ve seen since Battlestar Galatica.

salartarium
Sep 7, 2021

Ringo Roadagain posted:

my logical centrist opinion is that every idf soldier should survive unharmed and be given free McDonald’s and every Hamas militant should die a slow painful death.

I already see the upcoming Hollywood Blockbuster. Delta force breaks into the safe room to rescue the hostages. The hostages are tearful eyed and afraid until the operator leans in and whispers to them, “Cactus Jack sent me.”

salartarium
Sep 7, 2021

The Voice of Labor posted:

we've had 80 years of the dumbest, craziest nazi fucks imaginable with their finger on the button and so far japan and micronesia are the only two places that have been nuked. nuclear weapons are a boogie man

Algeria

salartarium
Sep 7, 2021

crepeface posted:

oh man, Egypt is extremely beholden to the US, isn't it? did they get emboldened by their entry into BRICS?

It’s ok, they just need to send some gold bars to a senator.

salartarium
Sep 7, 2021

Don Pigeon posted:

I'm trying to imagine ground combat in the ruins of Gaza City and I don't see it going well for the IDF.

If this was the US Army going in, they’d launch WP at the rubble to clear out anyone hiding in it.

salartarium
Sep 7, 2021

I just found out McD’s doesn’t have salads anymore in the US. Sad, I think the freshest thing they have now is the Quarter Pounder.

salartarium
Sep 7, 2021

Chillgamesh posted:

Also I'm about to ask the real loving question: How does the Merkava compare to its equivalents in other militaries? It seems like you'd have to make major sacrifices in maneuverability, armor, speed, ammo capacity, operational range, etc. to have an MBT that also has space for passengers instead of just the crew.

The passengers take up the ammo space. You essentially chuck the interior ammo containers out the door to be able to evacuate infantry in a hurry.

salartarium
Sep 7, 2021

I was trolling quite a bit when they asked to rename the confederate bases and ships, I made a completely serious letter that the USS Chancellorsville should be renamed the USS Beijing after the battle in 1900. I know those people take their job seriously so I hope they enjoyed my jokes.

salartarium
Sep 7, 2021
I wonder if Israel is still going to allow Gaza and the West Bank to roll out 4G cellular by the end of the year. It’s going to seriously hamper the local economy especially as worldwide people shift to mobile devices only.

salartarium
Sep 7, 2021

Hatebag posted:

it's not a war crime if you say it's for illumination which really makes it seem like someone oughta take a second pass on the definitions of war crimes

I wish international law did not work this way, but the big treaties on weapons and war are basically opt-out and allow countries to make reservations and agree to only parts. Protocol III of the Convention on the Prohibition of Use of Certain Conventional Weapons is what bans using incendiary weapons against military targets among civilians. The United Nations Independent Commission of Inquiry on the 2014 Gaza Conflict found credible reports on war crimes that should be followed up on, but Cleary stated that Israel using white phosphorus on targets in Gaza was in itself not a war crime.

That specific treaty has a chart at the UN of who opted out of certain protocols and made reservations https://treaties.un.org/Pages/ViewDetails.aspx?src=IND&mtdsg_no=XXVI-2&chapter=26&clang=_en

salartarium
Sep 7, 2021

Honest Thief posted:

A lot of osint people quoting this guy's video and analysing it as proof for being hamas misfire but the OP concludes it's not lol
https://twitter.com/yousuf_tw/status/1714370703565205787?s=20

Seems kind of overly complicated to me.

salartarium
Sep 7, 2021

Oh I actually watched the video this time and also lol’d at the end

salartarium
Sep 7, 2021

Turdfuzz posted:

starting to reach the point where there's no point in what i say because everyone's too intoxicated

The best conversation is also when everyone is tipsy and accidentally spills the tea.

salartarium
Sep 7, 2021

Majorian posted:

Bob Einstein's Corpse 2028:patriot:

Just wait until we have have to choose between Henry Kissinger (somehow) and Dick Cheney in 2032.

salartarium
Sep 7, 2021
I know I’m one of the few that still cares, but watching all these masses of people in Beruit, the Capitol, etc. my first thought is that these will be super spreader events. I’m still masking up until we’re out of flu season.

salartarium
Sep 7, 2021

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0Pw_TxBe7w

salartarium
Sep 7, 2021

fizzy posted:

Inquiring news for Death By The Blues - Is there any male Democrat or Republican politician for whom "he had numerous credible instances of racism, dude is not a good human being" is not a good description?

I think the worse of them just climb to the top. I’m sure a lot of them just don’t have media catching their every mistake, but I’ve met a lot of local politicians who truly care a lot and are professional. Of course, it’s a common trope where everyone says all politicians are corrupt “except for my congressman” but I do think the higher you go up the ladder you start seeing the competent corrupt politicians.

salartarium
Sep 7, 2021

ProfessorBooty posted:

Starting to think the last 300 years wasn't really worth it.

edit: gently caress it, last 3000 years.

All has gone downhill since Rome and Carthage made peace in 1985.

salartarium
Sep 7, 2021

speng31b posted:

So just straight up bombing Palestinian refugees outside of Gaza now. Evil Nazi fucks

Bedouins have homes? Wouldn’t they just be Palestinians or Arabs or is there some ethnic thing that I’m not understanding.

salartarium
Sep 7, 2021

Soggy Muffin posted:

That’s the most American thing I’ve ever heard

Can’t find a clip right now, but I remember in the recent Chinese movie Battle of Lake Changjin where they try to paint the American army as barbarians they have a scene focusing on the US having a decadent Thanksgiving Feast in the field while the Chinese troops are starving.

I get the whole trope that Americans are soft and weak because we love food so much, but I think any American watching that movie would get confused and think they were trying to paint the US in a good light because it’s so engrained in American culture.

salartarium
Sep 7, 2021

Huh, that’s interesting. Straightforward that they are the communities formed from the displaced tribes, but I didn’t realize that they had land ownership.

salartarium
Sep 7, 2021

speng31b posted:

why would they not have land ownership

I know there is more nuance to it, but I had been told that the term “Bedouin” referred to the nomadic people living in Arab countries and that although they lived a more traditional life they did not self-identify as such after settling down and there was a clear distinction between normal citizens and people who lived such a lifestyle. Also, that historical they relied on de facto communal land ownership and had opposed land registration. I’ve mainly seen them referenced in the news as groups of people getting forcibly relocated by governments for big development projects and normally got the impression that they get the short end of the stick as they don’t have official ownership of the land being taken or some leader negotiated all their rights away.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

salartarium
Sep 7, 2021

Pookah posted:

I was watching a bunch of steve1989 MRE review videos, a few weeks ago, and the IDF one was just so bad - it was basically nothing but cans of plain tuna and maybe some instant coffee.
Steve explained it's like this because Israeli soldiers can nearly always order pizza instead.

Yes I found this one interesting. Maybe because other countries have exotic stuff like reindeer, the IDF one was very disappointing to me. It was like someone went to a Dollar General and bought anything that was shelf stable. The other, video of his that I found interesting was when he went to the hospital after eating the PLA one and he later stated that his research shows that many in China complain about the food safety of their rations. I think the only other fresh one that he got sick from was Ukrainian.

salartarium
Sep 7, 2021

Clip-On Fedora posted:

there should be fat stormtroopers, but for some reason there isn't

There’s that homeless clone from the Obi-Wan show.

salartarium
Sep 7, 2021

1glitch0 posted:

But who's side are they on!?

They found a greenpeace ship they want to blow up.

salartarium
Sep 7, 2021

spacemang_spliff posted:

aren't chemical weapons banned lol

loving Biden is going to make W look like a dove

My understanding is yes it’s considered a war crime in the international community. It’s legally untested for use on non-state actors versus another country however. Syria was forced to sign a more modern comprehensive treaty that that Israel is not a party to after “allegedly” using it on their own people. The most common interpretation is that based on the Geneva Conventions and customary law it’s a war crime to use it in an internal conflict or insurgency. This was used to prosecute its use during the breakup of Yugoslavia.

Not my area of expertise but I’d imagine they could get away with it UN sanction wise, but the US would be very mad and might force them to get rid of their stockpiles afterward and join the Chemical Weapons Convention like what they did with Syria.

salartarium
Sep 7, 2021

Weka posted:

Do you think Xi is a psychopathic freak without a conscience or human morality?

He definitely has some issues from his Bond villain background. The mob burned down his home, made his sister commit suicide, and he got pulled out of middle school to be sent to a labor camp.

salartarium
Sep 7, 2021

crepeface posted:

bond is the bad guy OP

I realized this as a kid after the intro to Diamonds Are Forever. I know it was supposed to make fun of big business, but I realized that’s the interests Bond is protecting.

salartarium
Sep 7, 2021

Repressed memory activated of kids in the next battery over in basic at Ft. Sill trying to sneakily get Pizza Hut delivered on a Sunday and getting smoked. Fast food is addictive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

salartarium
Sep 7, 2021

DancingShade posted:

Israel would never have lost all those tanks if they had just invested in large human piloted Japanese robots. Maybe that can be the next mic grift.

Yes the major problem with having multiple crew members in a vehicle is that you can’t generate an AT field.